PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you curlies out there

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I was wondering what all of you do to care for your long curly hair. What's your routine? What hairstyles do you generally fall back on?

I was also wondering about updos for curlies. I have heard a lot about how good it is to keep the ends of your hair regularly tucked up close to your scalp. Do any of you follow this? I have trouble coming up with good updos that keep my ends tucked in. My hair usually wants to fall down. And I don't know if I should put it up when it's wet or not. Also, I've been reluctant to do too many updos because then I have to wash my hair again to get my curls to liven up.

Anyway, any feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated. I still feel like I don't know how to care for more hair properly, and I know all you lovely people are wise in the ways of hair. :)

Thanks!

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Rather than wash your hair to get the curls back, maybe just wetting it? That's what I do. I find that doing a french twist is good for my hair because of the thickness it stays very well. I use a ficcare to hold it, but combs work just as well.

I've been also wearing low ponytails with my flexi, or any wide barrette I like to wear it like that also because the curls really get full and I like the look.

CurlyNinja
July 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
The updo/down decision gets made in the shower, for me. I say, "am I going to wear my hair up (I count braids as "up") or down? Then I either style for down or put my hair up damp, using the conditioners/whatever I use for either selected option.

Day 2: I have to make 2 decisions now: do I get my hair wet again? And do I want to wear it up or down? The first option is based on if it's a tangled mess, if it's visibly greasy/dirty, etc. If I decide to get my hair wet again, I go back to the beginning. If I don't, and I wore it down the day before, I usually do a "messy curly updo"--basically a cinnabun with only one "twist" at the base, and the rest of the hair swirled around and secured with a comb. If by some miracle, my hair is still looking good on day 2 enough to wear down, and I want to wear it down a second day, I just scrunch it with a little water and I'm done. If I wore my hair UP on day 1, I can do any other up-style of my choice, but no down. (Updos, especially when done damp, mess up my curls too much)

My favored styles, besides that "messy curly updo" thing are single braids, double braids, the infinity bun, and the Chinese bun. I personally like to wear styles with less twisting rather than more, because my hair (and I think there is some correlation here to it being curly) takes the shape of how it is held very easily and can be a pain in the rear to untwist and detangle afterwards.

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Rather than wash your hair to get the curls back, maybe just wetting it? That's what I do. I find that doing a french twist is good for my hair because of the thickness it stays very well. I use a ficcare to hold it, but combs work just as well.

I've been also wearing low ponytails with my flexi, or any wide barrette I like to wear it like that also because the curls really get full and I like the look.

Good point...wetting it would be better. Although I try not to get it too wet in the morning because it takes so long to dry, and I don't like to blow dry at all. But I suppose if I'm wetting it and putting it in an updo, maybe that will keep me from looking like I just stepped out of the shower when I get to work? :D

How do you do a French twist. I've always been intimidated by that hair style. I think it's because updos mostly scare me. Ha!

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
The updo/down decision gets made in the shower, for me. I say, "am I going to wear my hair up (I count braids as "up") or down? Then I either style for down or put my hair up damp, using the conditioners/whatever I use for either selected option.

Day 2: I have to make 2 decisions now: do I get my hair wet again? And do I want to wear it up or down? The first option is based on if it's a tangled mess, if it's visibly greasy/dirty, etc. If I decide to get my hair wet again, I go back to the beginning. If I don't, and I wore it down the day before, I usually do a "messy curly updo"--basically a cinnabun with only one "twist" at the base, and the rest of the hair swirled around and secured with a comb. If by some miracle, my hair is still looking good on day 2 enough to wear down, and I want to wear it down a second day, I just scrunch it with a little water and I'm done. If I wore my hair UP on day 1, I can do any other up-style of my choice, but no down. (Updos, especially when done damp, mess up my curls too much)

My favored styles, besides that "messy curly updo" thing are single braids, double braids, the infinity bun, and the Chinese bun. I personally like to wear styles with less twisting rather than more, because my hair (and I think there is some correlation here to it being curly) takes the shape of how it is held very easily and can be a pain in the rear to untwist and detangle afterwards.

It actually sounds like we do similar things with the hair. I try to go several days without doing more than scrunching a little water into my hair to liven up the curls. But I'm wondering if I should be washing (maybe CO?) more than once or twice a week? Anyway, I usually wear my hair down on day 1. After that I usually do a couple of days of the messy curly updo (I love that style), and then if I don't wash my hair a couple of days of braids.

I know what you mean about hair taking shape of the twist. Mine does it too. Can you direct me to a link or description of how to do a Chinese bun and an infinity bun? I really am pretty inept with buns. :D

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
A french twist is hard for me to explain as most updos are. I start at the nape of the neck and twist upwards to the top of my head and fold my hair into the twist....it took some time for me to get it right.

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Ok. I'll try googling it later to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the feedback! :)

sexyjacksparrow
July 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I often put my hair up wet/damp. I find it dries smoother this way and I don't get so many of those baby hairs sticking up around my hairline.

I mostly wash mine on alternatie days and just wet it to style and/or bring back the curls on the in-between day.

Kerry xx

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
How do you get the curls to define if it dried while up? My hair becomes a fluff ball really easily, and it tangles together if it dries while up.

sexyjacksparrow
July 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I haven't mastered that either. My hair is normally up in a style that won't show my curls anyway if it's up. If I put it up to dry and then take it down I just have unsightly kinks and it sticks out at all angles.

DotDotDot
July 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
My routine: CWC 1x week (unless swimming), CO scalp washing daily (I only started this when I started running, the sweat makes my scalp itch), heavy coconut oiling/SMTing 1x week overnight, mayoing for 1 hour 1x week. I use Aussie Moist conditioner and L'oreal kids swim n' sport shampoo.

I wear updos 24/7. I only wear it down for special occasions. As soon as it comes out of the towel turbie, it goes in a bun. My favorites are the scrunchie bun, figure 8, infinity, and regular cinnabun. I have no advice on how to get your hair to stay up, except that my Ficcare holds my hair up better than anything else that I have.

When I want to liven my curls up after wearing an updo, I either spray it with water out of a spray bottle or dampen it in the shower and scrunch it. That usually does the trick.

HTH! :flowers:

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Do you use any kind of oils in your hair? I find coconut oil works well with my curls and gives it a bit of a smoother texture when putting it up.

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for giving me your routine, DotDotDot. :)

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Do you use any kind of oils in your hair? I find coconut oil works well with my curls and gives it a bit of a smoother texture when putting it up.

I sometimes use a little olive oil on the very ends of my hair, but I don't do it as much as I should. Do you think coconut oil works better? Do you only use it on the very ends of your hair, or do you use it on more?

CurlyOne
July 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have been searching for the perfect routine ever since I joined here. After I joined I tried the first thing that looked good, CO. I lost a TON of hair on that one, massive shedding for about a week and I have yet to recover from it. I wash every day, let my hair dry down and then up it goes for the rest of the day, usually a french twist or a snood if I am not really going anywhere.

I have found out that my hair hates cones but I love them so right now I am looking for something that can give smooth shiny hair without the drying effect that cones have.

wonderlywroughte
July 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've tried lots of routines, but the one that I do most often is a mild shampoo (usually on the scalp hair only, down to about the ears), condition, detangle while conditioner is in there, rinse, condition again, rinse. Then I apply my product and let it air dry.

The first day of a wash, I leave it down. The second day, if it still looks good, I'll leave it down again. When I put it up, I put it up in a "swirly bun", which is basically a big knot. My hair is at the proper length at the moment where I have just enough curly ends to stick out and make the bun look sort of "funky", which I like. I braid it for sleeping.

After it's been braided for sleeping, my standby updo is the same bun, but done with the braid. This way, the braid eats up enough length that I can tuck the little ends into the bun and they'll be protected. I try not to detangle or do anything like that with my hair until before I'm going to wash again.

Sometimes I use a little oil or shea butter on my ends to get them to calm down enough so that they'll tuck in easily.

I absolutely can't put my hair up when it's wet. It'll take days to dry and it will dry in one rope-like coil. If I attempt to comb that out, it turns into a bunch of tiny, tight rope-like coils, and it's just a mess. They tangle up, catch on each other....no thanks! Even if I put my hair in a wet braid, it tangles up so much more than if I put it in a braid while it's dry. No idea why this happens. :ponder:

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you so much for your feedback and ideas! They're very useful. Also you have gorgeous hair. :)

brightonwoman
July 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
My hair isn't super curly, but I get a ton of curl in my fringe and the little short hairs alway stick out when I do buns with dry hair...SO, I do updos that curl my hair all the way around. I part my hair in front (usually off-center, but that's just my preference), and then I take a little hair at the front and start rolling it towards the center, gathering more and more hair as I move back, until I get to the back center. Then I stick a bobbypin or claw clip to hold it, and roll the other side (the other direction of course). Then I take all the hair there in the middle and roll it together into a bun, or pin it up into a curly pile, or whatever. My hair is pretty thin (in spite of the curl), so I'll often do a bun with the first half the hair, and then take the twist from teh other side and wrap that around the first bun, making it look like one big bun.
This page (http://intimelyfashion.com/hair/edward1.html) shows what I mean with the twisting up the sides...she does a different thing at the end (rather than a bun) but it's all the same idea. I think edwardian styles are excellent for curly hair--they 'live it up' rather than squelching the curl, you know? I love that. :)

Riot Crrl
July 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM

Similar to this, except I almost always just end up getting it wet every day. Some people can have it look decent the second day but I just can't and don't feel like it, and my hair seems to enjoy water anyway. It's easier for me to just get it wet.

Once I chose that fork in the road, it's pretty much either curly or tight mean lady bun, and there's no turning back.

Siava
July 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've just come to terms with my curls and am still experimenting with them. So far, my current routine is working quite well.

I mainly CO every other day and usually wear my hair up in either a hair stick (with ends tucked in) or a big claw. If I do wear it down curly I'll put in some gel. If I use gel, I use a tiny bit of diluted clarifying shampoo on wash day. Even though the gel I use is cone-free, it still feels like there is residue on my hair no matter how much conditioner I use to get it out which is why I use the diluted shampoo. I do oil my hair on non-wash days with shea butter oil. A brush hasn't touched my hair in at least 2 months and I don't even know where it is now! It disappeared. I mostly finger comb, but will use a wide tooth comb on occassion. That's it! Pretty simple. I hope you find a routine that suites you to a T. :)

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Once I chose that fork in the road, it's pretty much either curly or tight mean lady bun, and there's no turning back.

Haha! I know that feeling. Once I choose a hair style, it's going to be that style for the next day or two unless I wet it down. :D

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've just come to terms with my curls and am still experimenting with them. So far, my current routine is working quite well.

I mainly CO every other day and usually wear my hair up in either a hair stick (with ends tucked in) or a big claw. If I do wear it down curly I'll put in some gel. If I use gel, I use a tiny bit of diluted clarifying shampoo on wash day. Even though the gel I use is cone-free, it still feels like there is residue on my hair no matter how much conditioner I use to get it out which is why I use the diluted shampoo. I do oil my hair on non-wash days with shea butter oil. A brush hasn't touched my hair in at least 2 months and I don't even know where it is now! It disappeared. I mostly finger comb, but will use a wide tooth comb on occassion. That's it! Pretty simple. I hope you find a routine that suites you to a T. :)

Yeah...I'm still experimenting too. For years, I just plastered my hair down into tight buns because I hated my hair. So it's taking a while to figure out how to be nice to my hair...especially after being so mean to it for so long.

And thanks for giving me your routine. It gives me more ideas of what to try.

Sam-I-Am
July 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Nimawae, how long is your hair?

Mine is between tailbone and classic. I have resigned myself to only wearing my hair down on wash days. All other days are updo or braid days. Or braided updo days, like today.

Twisted updos give me massive tangles because my hair wants to stay twisted afterward. I am always on the lookout for wrapped buns and trying new braided bun styles.

I can't wash my hair every day - takes too long and would never dry. I can't stretch washing out too long - I have a fungal ...thing on my scalp that itches really badly if I go more than 4 days without washing. I wash on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Hair wash routine:

Detangle with wooden comb
Hop in shower
Wet
Shampoo scalp only with either Head & Shoulders watered down or Chagrin Valley Nettle shampoo bar
Rinse
From follicles to tips, apply Chagrin Valley Honey Butter soap or other protein-heavy soap or shampoo bar
Let that sit
Rinse
Vinegar rinse - 1-2 T white vinegar in 16 oz cup
Rinse
Condition follicles to tips - currently using V05 passion fruit smoothie or some grapefruit one. Not sure how the grapefruit one will work out
Let that sit
Cold water rinse
Wring hair out
Wrap it in a turbie made of an old t-shirt (less bulk, frizzes less, still absorbent)
Get dressed, eat breakfast, etc.
Take hair down
Apply 4-5 drops of coconut oil to each side
Make leave in: Lima bean sized drop of JASON Natural Apricot conditioner, same amount of aloe vera gel, and 3-4 drops of coconut oil
Apply leave in on each side (I make one batch, flip my hair over one shoulder, to the length, and repeat for the other side)
Flip hair over head and scrunch
Smooth some aloe vera into my crown hair if it seems unruly

It takes me about an hour to detangle, wash and do my hair; it's ridiculous.

Speedbump
July 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
For the summer months I've been COing once a week and diluted shampooing once a week. I comb it twice a day and do daily scalp massage. I leave it braided like 95% of the time now because it gets into everything if I don't and it drives me crazy and I worry about it too much all the time. I also, the other 4% of the time it's up, put it in a twisty ficcare style I call a squashed doughnut. :lol: It's not sophisticated, but it works.

Nimawae
July 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Nimawae, how long is your hair?

Mine is between tailbone and classic. I have resigned myself to only wearing my hair down on wash days. All other days are updo or braid days. Or braided updo days, like today.

[....]

It takes me about an hour to detangle, wash and do my hair; it's ridiculous.

My hair is just about an inch above my waist when curly (when wet or stretched straight, it's a couple of inches below my waist). Thanks for laying out your routine like that. I may try going that way. My hair isn't as long, but it takes me a long time to clean too (more like 15-30 minutes in my case). Have you ever had trouble with your curls looking scraggly? I would like to make my curls more defined (and more curly at the top if possible). Right now, there's a lot of fluff, even though I don't brush my hair, and I only finger comb it when it's wet. And I was hoping to stay away from gels because I'm not a fan of using chemicals on my hair. Ideas?

What brand of aloe vera gel do you use? I'm only finding aloe vera gel that has alcohol in it (which seems like it would be really drying). Ha! Sorry for all of the questions... :)

Also, I have to say one more thing: ohmygod, you have the most gorgeous hair EVER! Ahem... :D Seriously though, it's really beautiful.

Curlsgirl
July 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
My routine is fairly simple after trying SO many different things for several years since coming here! Took a while for sure!

I CWC usually once a week with Aveda color protect shampoo and Giovanni SAS or 50/50 conditioner for 1st and second conditioner. Then I blot or put up with a MF towel for just a few minutes. I usually gently detangle with a wooden comb before I CWC but sometimes during with the conditioner on or after. I think I break less hair if I do it dry before.

Anyway, then I apply a generous amount of leave-in from the ears down (right now either Biolage conditioning balm or BWC leave-in) and then follow it up with quite a bit of coconut oil from the ears down. I fix the top of my hair where my bangs are by gently arranging the part or uneven part and then blow my bangs dry. I also have been blowdrying the roots some to help my hair dry faster.

I also try not to put it up in anything while drying or it drives me crazy because it will NEVER dry. Sometimes I have to though for different reasons. I try not to touch my hair while drying but according to how it feels I can tell if I need to add more coconut oil while still damp (the best time).

I sometimes wear my hair down the first day if it's cool enough and sometimes can do this for a few days but if not I just wear whatever updo I feel like for the day. Ficcares tend to hurt my scalp but I wear a lot of hairforks and now sticks. I also braid a lot and I like Flexi-8s too.

Sam-I-Am
July 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
My hair is just about an inch above my waist when curly (when wet or stretched straight, it's a couple of inches below my waist). Thanks for laying out your routine like that. I may try going that way. My hair isn't as long, but it takes me a long time to clean too (more like 15-30 minutes in my case). Have you ever had trouble with your curls looking scraggly? I would like to make my curls more defined (and more curly at the top if possible). Right now, there's a lot of fluff, even though I don't brush my hair, and I only finger comb it when it's wet. And I was hoping to stay away from gels because I'm not a fan of using chemicals on my hair. Ideas?

What brand of aloe vera gel do you use? I'm only finding aloe vera gel that has alcohol in it (which seems like it would be really drying). Ha! Sorry for all of the questions... :)

Also, I have to say one more thing: ohmygod, you have the most gorgeous hair EVER! Ahem... :D Seriously though, it's really beautiful.

hehe, thanks!

It's hard to strike a balance between scraggly and frizzy. Sometimes my hair looks stringy and frizzy at the same time. NO idea how it manages that, but it does!

The best thing to make my curls more defined is to keep them well-moisturized. Coconut oil is the best thing for me. It helps my hair separate out into curls and keeps them pretty frizzless for a while. It also helps make my hair softer, which I love!

I use the CVS store brand or Fruit of the Earth clear aloe vera gel. I can't remember the ingredients, but as far as I can remember they were fairly straightforward. Stock up on it in the summer, though, because it is impossible to find that stuff in the winter! I tried!

Nimawae
July 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I figured that I'm always going to have some scraggly/frizzy days, but I'd prefer to have more sleek-curl days. :D

Ok...so I definitely think I'm going to get some coconut oil and aloe vera gel now. My hair has been pretty dry lately, and I know it's making things worse. Also thanks for the heads up on stocking up on aloe vera. I would have never thought of it. Thank you SO much for all your ideas! :)

Nimawae
July 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
My routine is fairly simple after trying SO many different things for several years since coming here! Took a while for sure!

I CWC usually once a week with Aveda color protect shampoo and Giovanni SAS or 50/50 conditioner for 1st and second conditioner. Then I blot or put up with a MF towel for just a few minutes. I usually gently detangle with a wooden comb before I CWC but sometimes during with the conditioner on or after. I think I break less hair if I do it dry before.

Anyway, then I apply a generous amount of leave-in from the ears down (right now either Biolage conditioning balm or BWC leave-in) and then follow it up with quite a bit of coconut oil from the ears down. I fix the top of my hair where my bangs are by gently arranging the part or uneven part and then blow my bangs dry. I also have been blowdrying the roots some to help my hair dry faster.

I also try not to put it up in anything while drying or it drives me crazy because it will NEVER dry. Sometimes I have to though for different reasons. I try not to touch my hair while drying but according to how it feels I can tell if I need to add more coconut oil while still damp (the best time).

I sometimes wear my hair down the first day if it's cool enough and sometimes can do this for a few days but if not I just wear whatever updo I feel like for the day. Ficcares tend to hurt my scalp but I wear a lot of hairforks and now sticks. I also braid a lot and I like Flexi-8s too.

Another vote for coconut oil...I think I'm going to have to at least try the stuff. :)

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Ether_Drive
January 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
My routine isnt very sophisticated and in depth, but i find the main thing that keeps my curls in check, VERY surprisingly, is drying it down with a patting pattern with a 100% cotton tshirt. used or unused is fine. I dont know the mystery behind it but once I did it due to not having any clean towels, and it seemed to reduce my frizz a great deal.