PDA

View Full Version : No cutting - for how long?

sibilum
July 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
I don't trim my hair since last November. What is the longest period of time you didn't cut/trim you hair, without experiencing damaged ends?

My ends are in great condition, and I can hardly find a split end, so I see no reason to cut, I just wonder how long it will take until the ends start to look bad...

Raederle
July 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm heading up into about 2 years with no trims, and about 7 months since any serious S & D missions. That said, I'm not overly concerned with the shape of my hemine, since I wear my hair up mostly. If you're a fan of the blunt hemline, you'd need to trim occasionally, since we all seem to have hairs that grow at different rates. And some aver that a trim jumpstarts a growth spurt.

If your ends feel, and look fine, and you're content with your hemline, then it's hard to make a case for a trim, I think. If you nurture all your hair, you might be able to stave off a trim for quite a while.

Aelith
July 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm at 10 months, and despite some damaging practices, I don't have split ends (I do have breakage at the temples though).

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I don't trim my hair unless I really REALLY feel it needs it. Then I only do a dusting, but haven't done one in so long I can't even remember the last one I did.

paper
July 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about going longer this time before trimming. I'm exicted about getting to APL, and can't do that if I keep trimming?

spidermom
July 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have discovered that I'm not happy with the way my hair looks or behaves if I go more than 3 months without a trim. It grows unevenly and the ends split if I give them a mean look. But at least I was able to stretch my trims out to every 3 months. I used to get it trimmed every 6-8 weeks, and contrary to popular belief around here, I DID get length increase on that schedule, an average of 4.75 inches per year.

Raederle
July 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
You were exactly the member I had in mind with a trim jumpstarting growth, girlfriend. :blossom:

spidermom
July 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
You were exactly the member I had in mind with a trim jumpstarting growth, girlfriend. :blossom:

I have indeed had some amazing growth following removal of more than an inch. Less than that and I don't notice a change in growth rate. But more than that and ZOUNDS! I've gotten up to 2 inches of growth in six weeks.

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I have indeed had some amazing growth following removal of more than an inch. Less than that and I don't notice a change in growth rate. But more than that and ZOUNDS! I've gotten up to 2 inches of growth in six weeks.

Oh, good to know! I think it's time for me to trim again. :) I've always wondered if trims encouraged new growth. Thanks!

AJoifulNoise
July 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm coming up on 3 years of no trims and I've just recently started having problems. So, I'd say 2.5 years. I'm going to be trimming within the next couple of days.

ZaBasDa
July 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I've almost gone two years without a trim, okay it was more like a major cut. But my hair hasn't seen any scissors in two years.

sexyjacksparrow
July 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
I can probably get away with only 4-6 months without it looking manky. I went about 18 months before my last hair cut and my hair was in horrid contition and I had to cut off more than it had grown by in that time (which was probably only about two inches anyway as my hair grows sloooooooooow).

chrissy-b
July 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've gone seven months now without a trim and my hair is still looking good. No splits or breakage but a fairly uneven hemline.

From what I've learned since joining, it seems like gentle treatment and oiling really seems to help lengthen the time between necessary trims.

toodramatik
July 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I trim like.. a millimetre off if i see white dots. I don't know if it's at all effective but it calms me down about them. -shrug-

greekprincess
July 24th, 2008, 05:52 AM
The longest I went without a trim was one year....and my ends were pretty bad...but that was because I had old hair dye growing out also.

sibilum
July 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
It is nice to hear about all your experiences. Thank you for the replies!

If I see my ends getting dry or the split ends multiplying, I will certainly trim it. Until then, I won't touch it (except for doing search & destroy). I'm curious to see how much my hair will endure. So far, my hemline is ok, I mean, I have layers but the longest layer has a nice U shape, so I guess I have even growth.

myrtle
July 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have found that I only need a trim every three months and then I try to minimize it to as little as possible. The ends just looked too thin if I go longer than that without a trim.

Carina
July 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I visit my stylist three times a year for a small trim.She cuts it about half an inch to an inch every time.

nostalgic
July 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM
the longest i have ever gone was probably from about march 2005 till may 2007? i was growing my hair out for LOL from a pixie and once i'd gotten out of the mullet stage, i left it alone except for bangs....but when i was growing out the layers, it thinned the lower layer and it didn't look so great....
as of right now, my last haircut was in january (wow it was short, a sort of stacked bob and i couldn't understand why my dbf's mom commented on how long it was when it got to chin length hahaha!). anyhow, i've noticed a few little split ends but i go cross-eyed trying to s&d because it's still sooo short :(

emeraldfaery
July 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Last big cut was Nov. '06 last trim was early July '07. I haven't done a S&D mission for months (need to one of these days). My ends look fine I think.

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I had a wee little trim yesterday, after a 10 month wait. My ends don't look particularly damaged - I don't have splits, but they were dry and it was just time.

The longest I've gone without a trim is probably about 18 months or so, again with no discernible damage. But as mentioned above by someone...I like a blunt hemline so I trimmed to even things up.