PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Hemline, I Need Advice

missdelarocha
March 19th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I first blunt cut my hair from my long time running incredibly layered and partially shaved hairstyle in September of 2011, as I've continued to grow the difference between the front and back of my hair has become more and more pronounced, I know that this is desired in longer styles but my hair is too short right now for a deep U cut lol! The back is like a flap.

I suppose my dilemma is loving the length (at the back, which I can't even see, but can feel :p), the idea of having long hair just makes me never want to cut it, I've never grown hair past APL and if I have I haven't noticed because I was around 12 when it was that long haha.

There's also the quite large previously shaved area of my hair, all of the hairs are the same length there so the ones at my neck are not far off from the rest of my perimeter/hemline but the ones at the top of where the shaved part was only reaches to the middle of my ear, I don't want to cut my hair as short as possible again, the bowl cut is not particularly enjoyable.

Here is a picture to help.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8933&pictureid=129092

:confused:

Elph
March 19th, 2012, 04:16 AM
It really doesn't look bad. Hold out a bit longer and then trim. I would not be worried - I went through the same sort of thing and just started putting it up and stuff. Don't forget things like headbands and clips. The other thing you could do is put the back up and leave the front down or visa-versa.

If all gets too much convince yourself that this is a hairstyle you were aiming for and work with it.

Good luck

Siiri
March 19th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I have a similar problem. I'm growing out a pixie cut and the front is much shorter than the back. I don't have shaved parts though.

I just wear it up. It used to look a lot worse, but since the longest bit is a little past shoulder length, it's beginning to look a lot nicer even though the difference in length hasn't decreased. With longer hair U-shaped hemline will look better, so I probably won't have it evened out at all, just get it trimmed all over.

I'd suggest wearing your hair up and perhaps cutting it later to even it out.

Amber_Maiden
March 19th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't cut it.

bunzfan
March 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM
When i had this problem i was growing from a pixie into a bob and i kept trimming the sides until they caught up with the back . I reckon in a few months that problem will be gone .

Firefly
March 19th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I really don't think it's that bad-- I wouldn't cut it. If it's bothering you though, you could try wearing cute bandanas/scarves for a while; it might help you not think about it in the meantime. HTH...

Snippety
March 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I went through a stage a bit like this. I put up with it until the shortest part was at apl and then had it trimmed into a U shaped hemline. Then when the shortest parts were at just above waist I got my husband to cut clean across. It didn't feel like so much of a loss at that length, and in my case finally got rid of the crappy results of the one-time-I-dyed-my-hair-never-again disaster :)

chou
March 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I've only just managed to get rid of looking like I have a mullet from growing out a pixie cut, and I promise you, your hair is not mulletty at all. I'm personally a fan of trimming the back of the hair while growing out super short styles, but I would say there's no need for you to trim now. But the most important thing is that you are enjoying your hair. Trim when you want to :)

einna
March 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I dont think it looks bad. If you wear it up for a while, then it wont show either. Maybe a small trim of just the back in a month or two?

swearnsue
March 19th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm going through the exact same thing! I have been trimming the sides/front every couple of months so that it evens out that little bit that is shorter over the ears. But the down side of me doing this is that now the front doesn't reach into my little pony tail. Your hair is getting pretty long and looks so shiny and healthy!

Macaroni
March 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't cut it, it may blend in better as it gets longer.

spidermom
March 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
If you prefer even ends (and I do), tiny small trims are a must. I'd probably have the longest areas trimmed back 1/4 to 1/2 inch if this were my hair.

Gothchiq
March 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with spidermom, I would just do a small trim on the longest parts to make it closer to even.

jeanniet
March 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think it looks fine. I would just leave it and let it grow out more, and then if it bothers you start shaping it a bit. When it gets longer you may like the way the U looks. I prefer a U shape to a blunt hemline, which works out well because that's how my hair seems to grow anyway.

lesbia
March 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I would just trim a little bit every 2-3 mounths until you'll reach the hemline you want without loosing lenght :)

pink.sara
March 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM
That really doesn't look that bad :)

Like a lot of LHC'ers growing from short I had a Really uneven hemline for a good year!! (Pics in my growth album)

And no one really notices but you and I bet if you do the thing us women always do and push your hair behind your ears for most of the day it totally hides the shorter bits ;)

I'd leave it.

lapushka
March 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
And no one really notices but you and I bet if you do the thing us women always do and push your hair behind your ears for most of the day it totally hides the shorter bits ;)

I'd leave it.

I agree. :agree: It doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it's barely noticeable. Just keep growing and trim later, much later. :)

Yame
March 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Personally, I'd keep growing it but keep up with small trims to even out the hem as it grows. Or just grow it and then trim off the unevenness once it became obvious.

If you're like me and you tuck your hair behind your ears, it must not be noticeable at all right now. Don't worry about it.

kidari
March 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I also agree that it doesn't look bad. When I was growing it out form a bob to shoulder I just threw it up everyday and didn't trim at all for about a year. It's only necessary to do trims when it gets long enough to do Feye's method for the most part.

missdelarocha
March 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Thank you so much everybody for your input and suggestions, I have found them incredibly helpful.

It is difficult to wear it neatly up with the shorter parts but there is nothing that I can do about that but wait :).

Thank you so much swearnsue, a lot of my hair doesn't reach into my ponytail either, even though it is quite a 'long' ponytail now.

spidermom, gothchiq and lesbia that is definitely an option I will keep in mind, microtrimming.

I think a U shape is what I would like on longer hair.

Haha pink.sara and yame, my hair is always behind my ears!! I try not to but I can't help it, I have a permanent ear wave in my hair on either side :p.

lapushka and kidari thank you very much, it's good to hear it's not too bad.

I did end up trimming it around half an inch, I didn't see any difference but it did make me feel better about the difference.

:flower: x 100 for everybody!!

beautifulending
March 24th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I had the same problem 2 1/2 years ago from a pixie cut I had but It looks fine to me I say wait til it grows out some more then trim it to make it even.