PDA

View Full Version : I made another silly long hair video

CanadaSquirrel
March 18th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I made another silly long hair video - two, in fact, that same night, but haven't got the other one set up in my blog yet.

If anyone else has one, please share a link!

And please leave me a comment if you got a laugh or a smile out of it. :)

Long Hair Video 2 - Gonna Getcha (http://holy-sheepdip.blogspot.ca/2012/03/long-hair-video-2-gonna-getcha.html)

Enjoy!

CanadaSquirrel
March 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I'd also appreciate if anyone wants to PM me and tell me they think it's too silly and maybe I should remove it. I see a lot of hits but not one comment so I'm getting a little worried.

bettylibertine
March 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Lol it made me giggle!

boudica
March 19th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Your hair is lovely and you look great. The video made me smile too.

Your video was pretty cute, but you had some technical issues that once resolved might give you a better response. In other words, if you didn't change anything about what you did in front of the camera, but changed some things about your environment, I think you'd get the response you're going for.

As it is, your hair is very very nice, and so is your wonderful face. You can play with how close and how far you are away from the camera. There is lens distortion that you can play with. Computers usually use a wide angle lense, which distorts your face when you get close, but flattens everything out when you're at the same distance.

As an exercise, get out a 3x5 card, or any suitable piece of paper, or grocery receipt and draw a rectangle that represents you on the screen. Scribble (don't try to draw tidy) the way you'd like to see yourself at different parts of a song. Where would you have closeups for more drama? Where would you want to be further away? This doesn't take long, but it's fun to do while you're listening to the song. What's the most dramatic part of the song? How does the story of the song evolve over time? Make sure you start your performance at a level of drama that leaves room for you to hit the most drama at the most dramatic moment. Does that make any sense? (It's something my teachers told me that was very important.)

Also your lighting can be switched up a little bit. If you look at the biginning sequence Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, (find it on Youtube, and if you haven't seen it, watch all three parts!) you'll notice that the lead actor leans forward and has a different lighting setup so that his face is lit completely differently and he switches back and forth. You can take 15 minutes or so before you videotape next time to play with zones that you're going to put yourself in for dramatic effect.

It was hard to tell how awesome your cheekbones are. I know you want to highlight your hair, but your face is really nice, and I'm totally wishing I had your cheekbones. What kind of lighting can bring them out?

The space you were in was also pretty low light for that camera. You can get portable clamp on lights at Home Desperate for under $10. Try bouncing the brightest one toward the wall so it falls on your face, and another one (not as bright) behind you and to the side to illuminate your hair directly (not bounced)!

Unless people are really trained to look past technical issues, it's challenging to ask them to comment on a performance.

Make more videos! You're lovely! You've got great attitude! Keep at it.

CanadaSquirrel
March 19th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks for all that advice, Boudica, and for your kind words about my cheek bones (they're imported from Serbia, thanks to my dad, LOL!). I might try to do a more "serious" video someday, and if I do, I will refer back to your words.

Actually, here's what I've just added as a "PS" in my blog entry:

"PS: This was intentionally crappy quality on a crappy built-in webcam. I have a real digital video camera I could use if I were to make a more "serious" copy of this, and also there is a video feature I've not yet tried on my Canon T3i."

And here is the rest of the story behind that video, which I just published in my blog a few minutes ago:

My Attempted Weekend Getaway (http://holy-sheepdip.blogspot.ca/2012/03/my-attempted-weekend-getaway.html)

:)

CanadaSquirrel
March 19th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Just bumping this for Monday morning readers. :)

einna
March 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Haha, I thought it was sweet. :) I like your haircolour and your bangs! =)

moon2dove
March 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hahaha! I think your vids are really funny, well they cheer me up anyway.

Hope you make more 'silly vids' lol :)

I vote to keep 'em coming! :)

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
That was funny! I love it!

CanadaSquirrel
March 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I've got to get the right memory card to be able to use the video feature on my Canon T3i and try making a properly lit and non-crappy version of one, then!

The hard part is deciding what song I want to do - so many good ones out there.

Thanks for the encouragement!