PDA

View Full Version : Growing as long as it will go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

ashke50
December 2nd, 2013, 02:01 PM
I'm on board for terminal! Really hoping I make it past classic, I have always dreamt of being able to sit on my hair. Anything past that that my hair can manage will just be a bonus :-)

Leafy
December 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
I think I'm going to jump myself into this thread!

I have a long way to go though - I'm sort of 'before' the 'beginning'. I want my hair to be completely natural and free from chemical damage, so I need to grow my pixie out long enough to cut the colour off and preferrably be shoulder length. I don't want to be super short again! And even though the longest I've been is midway between APL and BSL (because I then had it cut), I already consider shoulder length hair short - I didn't think so before. I considered SL long, BSL+ really long and HL really really oh-my-god-I'm-jealous-long!

When I was younger, I wanted to have hair as long as Rapunzel. That little dream of mine is still alive. :p

I want to enjoy having long hair, not neccessarily to make others jealous (though I'll honestly admit that's a tiiiiiiiny factor, bese nearly everyone I know with 'long hair' have extensions), I'd like to be able to learn more hair-ups and stuff, whilst continuously growing my hair until it can't take it anymore.

I'm considering making a massive time lapse video (well, a few, which each video containing the same photos as before, with newer additions each time). After I've grown my colour out, I'll probably start out at shoulder length - I want to have hair that is at least long enough to fake a perfect bun with with a foam bun, and I think shoulder length may be long enough.
Anyway, I thought it might be something nice to do. :D Though I think I'll keep full blunt bangs, as I have psoriasis right below my hairline under my current little fringe. It probably won't be in it's specific location forever, but I do like to cover myself somewhat and 'hide' a little behind my hair. Plus I don't think a middle parting and no fringe would suit me very well, and I want to have a crown or little parting/thick fringe in the middle that I can keep easily. I just need a fringe.

Leafy
December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Double posted...sorry T_T

LoriSunrise
December 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna jump on this too! I want to grow my hair as long as it go. I had reached TBL before I melted it. So anything past TBL will be a new adventure for me! :D

hanne jensen
December 28th, 2013, 01:53 AM
I'm jumping aboard! I had to chop back to almost collar length in July due to severe damage. I've always dreamed of at least knee length hair. And, I'm curious about how long can I grow my hair.

TheWhiteRabbit
December 28th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I am at hip and this is the longest my hair has ever been. It usually stalls out at waist so we shall see how much farther it decides to grace me with.

SerinaDaith
December 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
I've hit right about the longest my hair has ever been, anything past this is awesome for me. I'm keeping up my s&ding and keeping my eyes on the prize (whatever that may be) from here on out I am in uncharted territory.

ravenheather
December 28th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I've hit right about the longest my hair has ever been, anything past this is awesome for me. I'm keeping up my s&ding and keeping my eyes on the prize (whatever that may be) from here on out I am in uncharted territory.

I am my longest now too! Happy hair adventure.

Night_Kitten
December 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm also growing for terminal (and hoping it's past knee, if possible a lot past knee, lol)
Now I'm at the longest length I've ever been (closest I had was upper thigh length when I was 8 or 9 years old and my mom was combing and braiding it for me at the time), so it's a new and very interesting experience :)

SerinaDaith
December 29th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I am my longest now too! Happy hair adventure.

Aww thanks!

Vijikanth
December 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I started without a goal in my mind. But am sure to hit the Terminal length some day. It was an experiment I started it as. In another 3 months I'm going to be 4 years without a cut. The people who once discouraged me from growing my hair are now awed by the length and my persistence. Ofcourse there are lot many who still think I looked better in short hair. Now if I pull down my curl, it almost touches the waist. Hope to reach the terminal very soon..

mariakatija
January 23rd, 2014, 02:04 PM
I have finally decided that I want to grow my hair to terminal length! I absolutely love long hair.

dulce
January 23rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Am getting close to classic,I think.My goal is a long v cut to my mid thighs if it will be possible and not thin out too much.Time will tell.If it thins out too much at that length,will keep it hip to classic in the future.

MissHoney
January 23rd, 2014, 03:06 PM
Hello, I'm obviously a newbie but I want to watch this thread closely so I can learn the patience it takes to not chop and dye every few seasons :o and perhaps pick up some techniques, but what I want to pick up is the 'mindset'. I am a strong believer in mindsets.

heidi w.
January 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
I am one who grew my hair out as long as it would grow, which turned out to be around mid-calf length. I sometimes felt it swish my ankles, but I don't think it was ever at ankle length. I never thought of growing it out to terminal length. I simply thought I just wanted it to grow as long as it will be, whatever that was. I thanked God for the length. I cut it off cause it got in a knot I could NOT get out. So now it's just past (barely) shoulder length. So, I'm starting over. Terminal Length for each individual is unique. I don't think of growing length the way you do. I simply think I'll grow it as long as it'll go, and be happy with whatever length it is.

heidi w.

MissHoney
January 24th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Heidi, beautiful story. Do you have any advice as far as trimming, and keeping yourself from trying new things so you can stay consistent? Or do you allow yourself to experiment without negative impact?

Fiferstone
January 27th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I was hoping for classic length, but being a fine-y, I seem to be hovering at hip/tailbone without any appreciable increase in length, so I may very well be at terminal. I find that I'm keeping it up most if not all of the time, which limits the damage quite a bit.

Madora
January 27th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Fiferstone, how long have you been growing? Perhaps your hair is just in a stall at hip/tailbone. Personally speaking, I wouldn't consider I'd reached terminal length until a good 10 years had passed. If you hadn't grown longer than hip/tailbone by that time, then you'd know that that was your terminal length.

AmyBeth
January 27th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Madora, I am in much the same boat as Fiferstone, similar hair type and similar length, 34inch/hip. I have a fairly thick hemline, healthy ends and I trim about 1/4 inch every three months. I know my hair is growing at a nice pace (just under 1/2inch per month) because my roots are showing where my hendigo grows out. After hovering at hip length for 6 months, how much more length could I see after waiting for 10 years? I grew my hair from childhood for 25 years (with deplorable care) and never got much longer than this, although my ends were in tatters. My hair looks better and is thicker now that ever, but I'm still disappointed that this is all I get:( Do you really think it's possible that I'll get more length?

SkyChild
January 28th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I'm curious to see how long my hair will grow, can I join?
I'm only at shoulders just now, and my official goal is about the middle of my back but when I reach that, I think I'll keep going out of curiousity.

ravenheather
January 28th, 2014, 06:51 AM
I am one who grew my hair out as long as it would grow, which turned out to be around mid-calf length. I sometimes felt it swish my ankles, but I don't think it was ever at ankle length. I never thought of growing it out to terminal length. I simply thought I just wanted it to grow as long as it will be, whatever that was. I thanked God for the length. I cut it off cause it got in a knot I could NOT get out. So now it's just past (barely) shoulder length. So, I'm starting over. Terminal Length for each individual is unique. I don't think of growing length the way you do. I simply think I'll grow it as long as it'll go, and be happy with whatever length it is.

heidi w.

That's how I think of terminal length. Just letting hair grow as long as it will grow while treating it as carefully as I can.

Madora
January 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Madora, I am in much the same boat as Fiferstone, similar hair type and similar length, 34inch/hip. I have a fairly thick hemline, healthy ends and I trim about 1/4 inch every three months. I know my hair is growing at a nice pace (just under 1/2inch per month) because my roots are showing where my hendigo grows out. After hovering at hip length for 6 months, how much more length could I see after waiting for 10 years? I grew my hair from childhood for 25 years (with deplorable care) and never got much longer than this, although my ends were in tatters. My hair looks better and is thicker now that ever, but I'm still disappointed that this is all I get:( Do you really think it's possible that I'll get more length?

AmyBeth, you might be in a growth stall and if you wait for a while (I'd say at least 3 years) you might break the stall. I mentioned 10 years just to be on the safe side. I believe it was member EdG who had a growth stall for a long period of time..but eventually came out of it and continues to grow (past knee I think).

mariakatija
January 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I just wanted to say something similar to what heidi w. said. Even though we all seem to want long, terminal length hair, we should still enjoy our hair at all the awesome lengths they're at because hair is beautiful no matter what the length is. This is a journey.

AliceRuth
January 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Count me in! Growing out a pixie right now (woohoo..!) but I am so curious about how long my hair will eventually become.
The longest length in the family is the upper side of BSL on my sister, but hers hasn't grown longer because of damage, so I have no indication to go by genetics-wise, but I am excited and up for the challenges that it will present....eventually..!

AmyBeth
January 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
AmyBeth, you might be in a growth stall and if you wait for a while (I'd say at least 3 years) you might break the stall. I mentioned 10 years just to be on the safe side. I believe it was member EdG who had a growth stall for a long period of time..but eventually came out of it and continues to grow (past knee I think).

Thanks for the reply. Three years? Ten years?:cry::violin:

Madora
January 28th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. Three years? Ten years?:cry::violin:

My dear, 10 years is nothing if you're bound and determined to find terminal length. I've been growing since 2000 and no end in sight (but I have long hair genes on my father's side so that might explain it).

At one time, years ago, my hair just stalled and stalled right past waist. This went on for six months. I thought it would never get longer. But it finally did. Patience pays off in the end.

trolleypup
January 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Actually, that was me...stalled at 53" for 5-ish years...now at 62"-ish.

Madora
January 29th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Actually, that was me...stalled at 53" for 5-ish years...now at 62"-ish.

Thanks for the correction, Trolleypup. Your hair stall situation proves the point that you should wait for several years before thinking your hair has reached terminal.

AmyBeth
February 3rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
Wow, I had no idea hair could stall for that long. I've decided that if hip is all I get, that's still better than cutting it to shoulder. I think I'm a lifer. No more hair chops for me. Thanks, Madora and Trolleypup for the encouragement.

Tini'sNewHair
February 3rd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Not sure if i answered to this thread before (and if i did then heres some possible new thoughts), I cant phantom terminal length, I havent been passed hip in many many many years, actually i think i only went passed hip ONCE in my life - as a child! My focus right now is to have my hair in as good condition as possible at all lengths :)

I cant wait to get to waist for starters :)

Marika
February 4th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I'm really dabbling with the idea of terminal goal because greater lengths are so unique and beautiful!

Can one's terminal length change or is it determined in genes? I had my hair at tbl+ (still growing), chopped it and now growing it again. I'm noticing a lot more taper than I did before. I do have a large chunk of shorter hair around shoulders because my cat ate my hair while I was sleeping :bigeyes:. And I've had a huge weight loss (120 lbs), pregnancy (with unnecessary weight gain :rolleyes:) and breastfeeding in past two years. Maybe they are taking a toll on my hair and it will recover eventually... My hair grows fast (and no postpartum shedding) but it feels a lot thinner than it did before.

trolleypup
February 4th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Major health changes certainly could affect your terminal length.

LadyLongLocks
February 4th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I let my hair grow way past my original knee length goal and am now past the floor by 2". It probably would grow longer and I have been still getting growth every month. I have reached my limit! My hair measures 74.5" today!( video shows 73" because the hair is hanging loose) I have been stepping on my hair :doh:
I just did a video measuring my hair as I get ready to trim several inches. It has fairytale ends now and I plan to trim about 10" soon so I wanted to record my LONGEST length! I will never know what my actual terminal length would have been, but I suspect only a few more inches considering the taper. I tested my hair genes to see how long I could grow!

http://youtu.be/gH84uWZFxsM

Madora
February 4th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Utterly incredible, LadyLongLocks! What an inspiration you are! And I love how carefully and slowly your assistant is combing your hair with that beautiful white Madora comb! That's the way hair should be combed!

LadyLongLocks
February 4th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Thank you Madora!:o
YES, that comb is my favorite!
It's made so well and feels so good in your hand. The rounded teeth are great and there isn't a seam in sight!
Pure quality!

cathair
February 4th, 2014, 07:00 PM
LadyLongLocks I have no words, can't think of a better word than incredible... just :thudpile: and wows.

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to trim? Is it just impractical stepping or it, that's as far as you wanted to go, or you want blunter ends? I can't even imagine what it's like to have hair that long, it's very beautiful.

LadyLongLocks
February 4th, 2014, 07:09 PM
LadyLongLocks I have no words, can't think of a better word than incredible... just :thudpile: and wows.

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to trim? Is it just impractical stepping or it, that's as far as you wanted to go, or you want blunter ends? I can't even imagine what it's like to have hair that long, it's very beautiful.

Thank you so much cathair :)
The ends are damaged and thin and are tangling a lot lately. Its time to trim them. I also detest stepping on the hair. I planned on growing to ankles and just through neglect it got this long. I never imagined I would ever have hair this long. I do miss the more blunt hemline, but the velcro ends have to go soon. I will still be at mid calf if I trim. I plan on self trimming it. I never trimmed 10" at a time so it will be different!

EdG
February 4th, 2014, 07:28 PM
LadyLongLocks, you are incredible. :thudpile:

I can tell you all about thin ends. You have nothing to complain about. ;)
Ed

AmyBeth
February 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Ladylonglocks-speechless.:thudpile:

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I wanna grow mine to term for the same reason JJJ did.... I'm curious to see how far my genes will allow it to. I've got a long ways yet to get to her length. :lol:

PraiseCheeses
February 4th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I let my hair grow way past my original knee length goal and am now past the floor by 2". It probably would grow longer and I have been still getting growth every month. I have reached my limit! My hair measures 74.5" today!( video shows 73" because the hair is hanging loose) I have been stepping on my hair :doh:
I just did a video measuring my hair as I get ready to trim several inches. It has fairytale ends now and I plan to trim about 10" soon so I wanted to record my LONGEST length! I will never know what my actual terminal length would have been, but I suspect only a few more inches considering the taper. I tested my hair genes to see how long I could grow!

http://youtu.be/gH84uWZFxsM

This is really incredible. Thank you for sharing this video with us, and for sharing your hair-gene experiment that so few people carry out! Your hair is extraordinary. :flower:

RapunzelKat
February 4th, 2014, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=LadyLongLocks;2635370]I let my hair grow way past my original knee length goal and am now past the floor by 2". It probably would grow longer and I have been still getting growth every month. I have reached my limit! My hair measures 74.5" today!( video shows 73" because the hair is hanging loose) I have been stepping on my hair :doh:
I just did a video measuring my hair as I get ready to trim several inches. It has fairytale ends now and I plan to trim about 10" soon so I wanted to record my LONGEST length! I will never know what my actual terminal length would have been, but I suspect only a few more inches considering the taper. I tested my hair genes to see how long I could grow!]

Adding another :thud: to the :thudpile: here... Just stunning, LadyLongLocks, thank you so much for sharing! What an accomplishment!

Oh and now I want a Madora comb. :crush:

Mellybee
February 5th, 2014, 12:04 AM
The whole concept of terminal makes me quite sad... I've only managed to grow just above waist so far, in the past... what if I can never reach classic? D:

That thought really bums me out. Hopefully classic is a reachable goal for me :)

SkyChild
February 5th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Mellybee just keep at it - you never know, classic might just be the start!
It seems very far away sometimes (don't I know it? - shoulder length just now) but keep trying!
*wishes really hard* grow, Grow, GROW!

Mellybee
February 5th, 2014, 01:12 AM
It does seem reaaaalllly far away. But yup, keep keepin' at it :)

MissBubble
February 5th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Four years ago I made the conclusion that my terminal is MBL, a couple of inches before waist. Although healthy, it just refused to grow longer, if that is possible...
Now, I am almost there again. Let's see if anything has changed.

Wosie
February 5th, 2014, 03:16 AM
LadyLongLocks, I'm positively stunned! Your hair, its quality and the colour... I honestly began thinking of fairy tale princesses. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the inspiration! :blossom:

ErinLeigh
February 5th, 2014, 05:08 AM
I am confused by how stalls work. Do you get a taper as the oldest hairs shed?
What is growing at a stall? Do you still get growth at roots? If so is it just some newer hairs? I wish I understood how this works better.
If you cut once at terminal the hair left still grows right?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid but I truly do not understand.

mariakatija
February 5th, 2014, 06:46 AM
You have beautiful hair, LadyLongLocks!

Madora
February 5th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I am confused by how stalls work. Do you get a taper as the oldest hairs shed?
What is growing at a stall? Do you still get growth at roots? If so is it just some newer hairs? I wish I understood how this works better.
If you cut once at terminal the hair left still grows right?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid but I truly do not understand.

Your hair is still growing but perhaps at a reduced rate. I know I had a stall for about half a year and my hair just didn't seem to want to budge no matter what I did. But it did start getting longer again. I've never had terminal so I can't address that issue. The thing to remember is to not jump to conclusions that your hair has reached terminal. You should give it several years time to grow...not just a year or two.

bte
February 5th, 2014, 10:30 AM
It is now only 5 months to go before it is 20 years since my last trim. It is wonderful to see thudworthy manes such as LadyLongLocks and EdG, and no doubt there are many who would be able to achieve extreme lengths but choose not to.

To all of you who wonder how long terminal is on you, I would say just this: unless you try, you will never know. And to those whose terminal length is nothing like as spectacular, I would say enjoy what you have, be it floor, ankle, classic, tbl, waist, or whatever. I have only reached the male equivalent of bsl, which took about three years, and I have not had any further growth for almost 17 years, except, having been seriously ill for a year and a bit, I have noticed a little extra growth in the last few months. So, yes, you can have a very long stall and then some more growth, and, yes, health is a factor.

How easy is it not to trim or cut for many years? A lot easier once it becomes the expectation. If you don't cut or trim, and uneven ends become familiar to you, going to a salon is something you don't do, in just the same way as a vegetarion walks past a butcher's shop.

Good luck to all terminal growers. I am still deadly envious of all of you who have achieved those spectacular lengths, but at almost 20 years, I, too have something about which I can feel just a little bit proud.

A note for anyone who has wondered about not washing your hair. Because of surgery last year, I was unable to take a bath or a shower for three months. I had to sit on the side of the bath and wash just parts which were OK to get wet. I found that my hair got sticky and horrible for about three weeks, but then settled down, so I now save a fortune on shampoo and water and it looks, feels and smells OK. Interesting!

LadyLongLocks
February 5th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the hair compliments :)
I started a longer hair journey after maintaining around tailbone length for 10 years. So I had kind of a head start beginning at 36" in 2005, which is very long in itself. Funny thing is that I did not really consider my hair long even at 3'. I decided to go longer a little at a time after I reached knees. I know now that my ideal length where I have fullness and a decent hem is about mid thigh or above knees.
Anything past knee was very hard and I had my share of challenges along the way. Grow to your best potential is really best, unless you want to test your hair genetics!
My next goal is working on the ends and trimming about 10". I have bangs that are around knee and when they are part of the hem I will be very happy.
I have learned a lot along the way as to what works for me. No sulfates and washing once per week, using coconut oil and deep conditioning more plus wearing protective styles like buns all the time. Better hair tools like the Madora comb etc. More tips and products here on my hair care channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JJJLongHair).
I know not everyone can grow hair to the floor (or wants too) so I feel lucky to have made it.
I just hope more people test their hair genetics at least once!
If I have inspired anyone I am very honored:o Keep Growing!

makeminea99
February 5th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I've decided I shall try to let my hair grow to terminal, just to see - I'll still trim it every so often, though. I've also another reason: a friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, and her 12 year old daughter has decided to shave her waist length hair off to raise money for a breast cancer charity and also to support her mum. (who I know tried to dissuade her from doing so!) Love her, she's almost doubled her fund raising target!! However it did get me feeling ever so guilty for a while, because I really don't want to do this myself (although I have toyed with it on occasion.).
After a while, though, and my husband imploring me not to (because I'd look like Spike the dog from the Tom & Jerry cartoons apparently!), I thought about this: my Dad has prostate cancer. Both his parents died of cancer, and my auntie on my Mum's side also died of cancer. So it's not so far-fetched to imagine that I might get cancer one day, too (I hope not!!).
Bearing that in mind, I shall keep on enjoying and growing my long hair, and if I ever DO have to have cancer treatment which will cause me to lose my hair, I shall indeed do the head shave thing, while also (hopefully) having lots of hair to donate.
The plus side of this is that if I'm lucky and don't ever get cancer, hopefully I'll have lots of lovely long hair to enjoy - and it may be that, if I'm lucky enough to be able to grow to super-long lengths, I'd be happy to donate some anyway! Who knows? :)

hairconvictions
February 5th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I have had terminal as my goal since 2009 when I stopped cutting it. It was a pixie then, now I'm about an inch from tailbone and have been there for months. Like probably 6 months. I'm hoping it's not terminal but rather a stall from the ridiculous climate of the far north. When I was in a warm climate my hair grew more than 0.5 a month... Who knows maybe I need to turn the heat up :P

EdG
February 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM
It is now only 5 months to go before it is 20 years since my last trim. It is wonderful to see thudworthy manes such as LadyLongLocks and EdG, and no doubt there are many who would be able to achieve extreme lengths but choose not to.Thanks, bte!

You deserve an A+ for determination. :applause

Everyone gets what they've got, hair-wise. I'm sitting here thinking "We can't all be LadyLongLocks." ;)
Ed

ravenheather
February 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks, bte!

You deserve an A+ for determination. :applause

Everyone gets what they've got, hair-wise. I'm sitting here thinking "We can't all be LadyLongLocks." ;)

Ed

But don't we wish we could!

EdG
February 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM
But don't we wish we could!You betcha. ;)
Ed

bte
February 6th, 2014, 09:26 AM
You betcha. ;)
Ed
If wishing were horses etc.
You're welcome, and thanks for the A+

catamonica
February 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
bte, In the U.S. I use Mane & Tail Original horse shampoo. I couldn't grow my hair real long since high school. In 2009, I used the horse shampoo. I added two capful's of olive oil to the shampoo. It might have helped growth. It grew 14 inches. I'm 58 in March. If they don't sell it in the UK, you could order it online. It doesn't work for everybody. But you could try it. I started wearing it in a low braided bun five days a week. It grew from waist to just past hip. It won't grow anymore. If you can get the shampoo, post & tell me if it worked. I hope it helps.

EmoSilk
February 12th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I'm growing to terminal as well.

catamonica
February 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
bte, In the U.S. I use Mane & Tail Original horse shampoo. I couldn't grow my hair real long since high school. In 2009, I used the horse shampoo. I added two capful's of olive oil to the shampoo. It might have helped growth. It grew 14 inches. I'm 58 in March. If they don't sell it in the UK, you could order it online. It doesn't work for everybody. But you could try it. I started wearing it in a low braided bun five days a week. It grew from waist to just past hip. It won't grow anymore. If you can get the shampoo, post & tell me if it worked. I hope it helps.

RapunzelKat
February 12th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the hair compliments :)
I started a longer hair journey after maintaining around tailbone length for 10 years. So I had kind of a head start beginning at 36" in 2005, which is very long in itself. Funny thing is that I did not really consider my hair long even at 3'. I decided to go longer a little at a time after I reached knees. I know now that my ideal length where I have fullness and a decent hem is about mid thigh or above knees.
Anything past knee was very hard and I had my share of challenges along the way. Grow to your best potential is really best, unless you want to test your hair genetics!
My next goal is working on the ends and trimming about 10". I have bangs that are around knee and when they are part of the hem I will be very happy.
I have learned a lot along the way as to what works for me. No sulfates and washing once per week, using coconut oil and deep conditioning more plus wearing protective styles like buns all the time. Better hair tools like the Madora comb etc. More tips and products here on my hair care channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JJJLongHair).
I know not everyone can grow hair to the floor (or wants too) so I feel lucky to have made it.
I just hope more people test their hair genetics at least once!
If I have inspired anyone I am very honored:o Keep Growing!

Thank you for sharing the link! :flower: I have only seen one or two of your videos, I will definitely be checking ou the rest! :)

Lady Una
May 27th, 2014, 03:45 PM

I keep thinking about trying Mane & Tail! Do you use just the shampoo or the conditioner also? (I've been doing CWC for a while and it seems to work well for my hair.)

I don't know how long terminal is for my hair. My hair was TBL with a straight hemline two years ago, but since then I've kept it at waist length (I wanted it low-maintenance for starting college). I want to grow it out again though and I'm curious about how long it can get!

cat11
May 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM
My first goal is classic... But I really feel that I want to continue to terminal, or at least floor. I really hope I can. I've been reading a lot of older literature where people are described as having hair that trails the floor that is like a tease for my hair growth journey haha, and I just want this so bad for some reason, even though I know I would rarely leave it down. Im planning on growing it to classic with 1/2 inch trims twice a year and then deciding on that point whether I should maintain it or keep growing it...

I've seen a couple of really stunning floor length manes on this forum and a bunch of others elsewhere, so I know it's possible with patience.

SerinaDaith
May 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I am officially past BSL which may not mean much to most but it's the longest I've ever gotten. I am hopeful that I'll get to at least hip since my mom maxed out at 29 inches, which on me would be waist.

Shepherdess
May 29th, 2014, 11:28 AM
My first goal is classic... But I really feel that I want to continue to terminal, or at least floor. I really hope I can. I've been reading a lot of older literature where people are described as having hair that trails the floor that is like a tease for my hair growth journey haha, and I just want this so bad for some reason, even though I know I would rarely leave it down. Im planning on growing it to classic with 1/2 inch trims twice a year and then deciding on that point whether I should maintain it or keep growing it...

I've seen a couple of really stunning floor length manes on this forum and a bunch of others elsewhere, so I know it's possible with patience.
Yes, it takes much time and patience. I think you can do it! It might take many years, but I believe that many people have the potential of growing hair that long with the proper care and nutrition. :D I very badly wish to grow to floor length someday, though I keep cutting back to classic since my hair gets so thin. I should just ignore it when it gets thin and see how long it shall get.

I am officially past BSL which may not mean much to most but it's the longest I've ever gotten. I am hopeful that I'll get to at least hip since my mom maxed out at 29 inches, which on me would be waist.
Congratulations! :flower: :)

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I guess I am planning to grow to terminal, but that's not that impressive, because I would be surprised if it were very long on me (compared to LHC standards). and even it is, being a curly, it would look way shorter.
I'm basically hoping that I can get my hair to appear to be waist. It would have to be tailbone or even classic to look anywhere near that long. So I'll be surprised if that happens. After two years on LHC, I suspect I can probably get my hair to actual waist. I didn't think I could when I joined. I was just hoping to get to actual bra strap. But now I am at bra strap and its still growing and the ends are ok. Of course it looks like just a little below shoulder most days. Last week I had a day when it looked like APL, but on the other hand, it didn't look that curly that day, so you can't have everything. Or not all at once anyway.
I have to say, I get great joy out of reading the threads of people with longer hair and staring at the photos. I don't think my hair will ever get anywhere near those lengths but its so interesting to see that there are so many people in the world who do get there and look wonderful. Its like a peek into a fairy tale and I do feel a thrill when I read that someone started with a pixie and now has thick hair all the way to the floor. I guess most people never realize this is possible. Before I came on here I was amazed that my grandma had hair long enough to sit on, and that my neighbor used to have hair to her ankles, even though she thinned out a whole lot past her knees.
She is growing her hair again from a pixie, in a few months its already APL, I should point her to LHC. she's scared she won't be able to manage floor length hair anymore.

ravenheather
May 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I can't even imagine floor length. I really can't imagine below knee. I would be willing to learn though. No idea what my terminal is. I hope its a while before I find out.

cat11
May 31st, 2014, 08:36 AM
Yes, it takes much time and patience. I think you can do it! It might take many years, but I believe that many people have the potential of growing hair that long with the proper care and nutrition. :D I very badly wish to grow to floor length someday, though I keep cutting back to classic since my hair gets so thin. I should just ignore it when it gets thin and see how long it shall get.

Thank you, I'm going to try! It seems crazy but also awesome to start a goal that could potentially take a decade (read about a member who grew chin to knee in 8 years) to complete, awesome because it won't be over for a long time and I can keep going on my hair journey which I think is sort of fun, actually. I like having big goals to work towards.

Good luck growing your hair, too! Maybe it would get longer if instead of chopping it all back to classic, you did sceduled smaller trims to gradually thicken it? My hair hasnt gotten long enough to thin out but that seems to work for an awful lot of people with that issue in the microtrimming thread.

I'm basically hoping that I can get my hair to appear to be waist.

I think you can definately do it. I've seen pics of your hair before and I've seen others on the internet with the same or similar hair type who managed waist curly. Especially if keep wearing your hair up and protecting it!

chen bao jun
May 31st, 2014, 09:02 AM
I think you can definately do it. I've seen pics of your hair before and I've seen others on the internet with the same or similar hair type who managed waist curly. Especially if keep wearing your hair up and protecting it!

Thanks for the encouragement, Cat11. Like you, I'm willing to wait a decade or so :)

I am willing to wear my hair up and protect it in buns. I'm not willing to always wear a lot of tiny twists or braids though, so we'll just have to see.

JadedByEntropy
June 9th, 2014, 12:27 AM
I'm just starting this dedicated-till-terminal goal, and I'm excited.:joy:
Are there hints for when youre getting close to THE end? cuz mine hasn't slowed or thinned yet, and I'm nearing hip....its really heavy now.:agape:

Ani Ta
June 9th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I just discovered this thread and I think it's the right one for me. When I discovered the german LHN I was at classic length (end of 2012) and I did not cut or trim since September 2011. It seems that my goal heads down further the more they grow and now I'd like to see what's my terminal length. I am not sure what I can achieve as I have hair loss since I came off the pill. I hope that everything will balance with the time and that there will be enough hair left that it looks good. And yes, I consulted my doctor and had a blood test - everything was fine, even better than the doctor's who did one at the same time.
My actual length is 1.5 inch before kneelength :)

cat-lady
June 9th, 2014, 04:08 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

piffyanne
June 9th, 2014, 10:15 AM
hi everyone, is it possible to have a very short terminal length? I ask as my hair has never got past bra strap. if im honest this is the first time I have given it chance as my mother kept my hair short as a child then i spent my teens destroying my hair dying it crazy colours! about 3 and a half years ago I chopped all the damage off to just past shoulders and started growing seriously. I reached just past bra strap at 3 years and for the past 6 months I've had no growth :( in the end my ends got real straggly so I cut back to bra strap. I will be heart broken if I can't get any longer :(

You also can have a false terminal. I was stalled at about MBL for several years (about 6), but am past knee now. HTH. :flowers:

chen bao jun
June 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I see your hair is fine, which means more fragile. You might try keeping it up. There are many threads on keeping your hair up and it can really make a difference in growing longer.

hi everyone, is it possible to have a very short terminal length? I ask as my hair has never got past bra strap. if im honest this is the first time I have given it chance as my mother kept my hair short as a child then i spent my teens destroying my hair dying it crazy colours! about 3 and a half years ago I chopped all the damage off to just past shoulders and started growing seriously. I reached just past bra strap at 3 years and for the past 6 months I've had no growth :( in the end my ends got real straggly so I cut back to bra strap. I will be heart broken if I can't get any longer :(

meteor
June 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I see your hair is fine, which means more fragile. You might try keeping it up. There are many threads on keeping your hair up and it can really make a difference in growing longer.

I definitely second this. Also try to be aware of all mechanical damage you might be experiencing and limit all damaging practices as much as you can.
I'd recommend:
- detangling extremely carefully with wide-tooth combs or fingers,
- sleeping on silk satin (pillow-case/bonnet/scarf) or other smooth materials with hair contained,
- oiling ends to prevent splitting and breakage,
- avoiding ponytail holders with metal and other hair ties that pull out hair or cause breakage,
- minimal manipulation overall (less brushing, stretching washes if you can...).

Drosmand7
June 9th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I want to go terminal ...!!

Ok this might seem like a dumb question..

How do I know when I reach terminal? How do I know it's not extensive breaking/stalling/etc..?

And if I do just reach a growth plateau, how can I overcome it?

Thanks!

bte
June 10th, 2014, 03:21 AM
I just discovered this thread and I think it's the right one for me. When I discovered the german LHN I was at classic length (end of 2012) and I did not cut or trim since September 2011. It seems that my goal heads down further the more they grow and now I'd like to see what's my terminal length. I am not sure what I can achieve as I have hair loss since I came off the pill. I hope that everything will balance with the time and that there will be enough hair left that it looks good. And yes, I consulted my doctor and had a blood test - everything was fine, even better than the doctor's who did one at the same time.
My actual length is 1.5 inch before kneelength :)
If you have hair loss then the photo on the "Post your photos because you really want to" thread is even more amazing! It will be interesting to see what terminal is on you. Viel Spaß noch! (Good luck)

bte
June 10th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Yes, you can have real and false sort terminal lengths. Wait a few years and see what happens, but look after your hair and protect it as much as possible. I have just gained an extra inch after a stall of about 16 years, so anything is possible.

chen bao jun
June 10th, 2014, 06:51 AM
I think the only way to tell that you are at terminal is if you are doing everything 'right' and your hair stops growing for a number of years. However, as you see even on this page, people can have quite long stalls that seem like terminal and aren't.
I am not as sure of this but it also seems that most people at terminal have fairy tale ends and taper. Does anyone know of anyone at terminal who has a thick blunt hemline?

ravenheather
June 10th, 2014, 06:01 PM
You also can have a false terminal. I was stalled at about MBL for several years (about 6), but am past knee now. HTH. :flowers:

What were the key factors for you to get past mbl?

trolleypup
June 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I think the only way to tell that you are at terminal is if you are doing everything 'right' and your hair stops growing for a number of years. However, as you see even on this page, people can have quite long stalls that seem like terminal and aren't.
I am not as sure of this but it also seems that most people at terminal have fairy tale ends and taper. Does anyone know of anyone at terminal who has a thick blunt hemline?
Anyone at true terminal will have taper and fairytale ends...terminal is the length where the hair is in a steady state of growth-shedding-replacement...so each individual hair is a different length and in a different part of its growth cycle.

LauraLongLocks
June 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I have often skipped over this thread because I don't know if I want to grow to terminal. I guess it depends on where terminal is for me. If it is classic, then yes, I want to grow to terminal. If it is knee, yes, I think I would like to grow to terminal. If it is past knee, I might want to grow to terminal. If it is past my ankles, or dragging on the floor, I really don't know if I would want it that long.

Right now, I have my goal set for 60" which is just past knee on me. I have never had hair longer than it is now, at hip length, and I really have no idea how it is to handle longer hair, or if I will like it. Sixty inches of hair is a lot of hair! About 29 inches more than I have right now, and so that, in itself, is a very lofty goal. I won't know if I can grow that long until I try.

My lifestyle is fairly busy and I don't know if I would enjoy hair past my reach, but I would sure like to find out.

There is a lot of inspiring hair here, and I hope to eventually be one of the super-lengths on the forum. Only time will tell.

AmberJewel
June 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Ok, a question. I keep hearing that it requires special genes to get past waist. I'm just at hip now, but does that mean that the end is in sight if I'm not lucky? Especially since my hair is on the thin side. I was hoping for at least fingertip length! Then again, most people seem to kill their hair and then complain that it won't grow. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Any advice from more experienced people would be appreciated.

trolleypup
June 14th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Ok, a question. I keep hearing that it requires special genes to get past waist. I'm just at hip now, but does that mean that the end is in sight if I'm not lucky? Especially since my hair is on the thin side. I was hoping for at least fingertip length! Then again, most people seem to kill their hair and then complain that it won't grow. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Any advice from more experienced people would be appreciated.
I can't quote any authoritative sources, but prevailing wisdom on TLHC is that average terminal length is around 6 years of growth...some people with have more, some will have less. So, if you get 1/2" per month, that gives you a individual hair length terminal length of 36"...your LHC measured overall hair length will be longer than this by 6"-12".

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about terminal length until the fairytale ends and characteristic taper appear.

Silverbrumby
June 15th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Terminal length is in the genes. I have a shorter terminal. I never get a blunt or thick hemline past BSL. It's taper and fairytales.

Kimberly
June 20th, 2014, 11:30 AM
My longest hairs have been at tailbone (stretched) for a long time now. I have fairytales, and taper, but just lately my ends are thickening up a bit, so I have hopes that maybe I'm not at terminal and have just been stalled. My hair doesn't look long compared to you straighties out there, and sometimes I have a bit of hair type envy! Smooth, shiny hair that swings when you walk and actually looks long -- you straight hairs are so lucky!

Not to say I don't love my spirals, but there are days when I sure wish I could trade! :)

hollygraham43
June 20th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone! I hope it is okay that I join here! I want to grow to terminal length. Mostly just to make my mother mad ( every day she tells me I need a hair cut) and to see how long terminal is for me. I am currently at Waist length with a total of 31'', my first mini goal is TBL at 35''.

meteor
June 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Do you guys trim, if you have no visible split ends? Or is trimming counter-productive if one is going for terminal?

StellaKatherine
June 20th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I am kinda tempted to see how long would my hair grow... I kinda know that I can grow to classic ( I almost been there once and went and cut it shorter :( ) but anything after that hmm... I will get to classic and see how it feels, maybe term... One thing is sure, i wouldn't want my hair to drag behind me on the grownd hehe

Ani Ta
June 20th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Do you guys trim, if you have no visible split ends? Or is trimming counter-productive if one is going for terminal?

I have some visible split ends and every now and then I do some S&D. But I did not have a haircut since August/September 2011. At the end of this year I'll have a close look at my hair and decide then whether there will be another year without a trim or not.

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Not sure if I want to go terminal length if it's past classic, I've never even had classic before so I'm not sure if it'll be manageable for me or not (I hope so). I wouldn't want my hair dragging on the floor though; so I guess if it got to that point I would just have to wear it up most of the time or pull a Rapunzel and let girlscouts braid it ;). What I'm considering is just doing S&D until I at least get past BSL, then maybe a small trim every once in a while if my hair needs it. I love fairytail ends so S&D always sounds appealing to me.

ravenheather
June 21st, 2014, 08:40 PM
I am only s&d at this point. My last haircut was September 2011. I figure taper is inevitable at terminal, so I might as well get used to it. It is tempting sometimes to even it up a bit, but so far I have resisted.

JadedByEntropy
June 21st, 2014, 11:31 PM
I can't quote any authoritative sources, but prevailing wisdom on TLHC is that average terminal length is around 6 years of growth...some people with have more, some will have less. So, if you get 1/2" per month, that gives you a individual hair length terminal length of 36"...your LHC measured overall hair length will be longer than this by 6"-12".

This would put me at least past 72inches :disco: which is far past what I imagined...I'd have to wear heels to keep it off the floor...but I guess that makes since because my hemline has been doing well. TBL I've found out is as long as my mom would let my hair get as a child...the toilet "bowl cut" to keep it from getting dunked by slouching. *eew* So I know I would love midthigh-classic a-line like I've grown out. I'm unsure if I could handle my genes, but im excited to give it a try!

Dragon Faery
June 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Hello! Checking back in! I didn't have internet for 2 years, or the health to go in search of any. I neglected my hair terribly during that time, but I didn't cut it! I was pleasantly surprised last month to find that I am finally brushing BCL, which makes my hair officially the longest it has ever been. :D

I'm still heading for terminal, slowly. My ends are more damaged than I would like, since I ignored them for 2 years. Inm also unused to this length, so I'm currently measuring and trimming the ends (just a dusting) at the beginning of every month until (a) I'm more used to handling hair this length, and (b) my ends are healthier and a little more full.

I realized a few days ago that I only have 5 1/2 more years to go until my arbitrary deadline of 2020. Maybe I should extend it to 2025? ;)

But yes. I'm still here, and still growing. Next stop, Tailbone!

Sparklylady82
June 27th, 2014, 02:00 AM
In the past, I have let my hair grow without trims or any type of cutting. I started at shoulder length and ended up with tapered (not quite fairytale) ends with the longest pieces being tailbone length in about 4 years time! I am wanting to try and grow to terminal again. Not sure if I will be trimming or not since I have some bleached and damaged hairs that I'd like to grow out. I might micro-trim untill my hair feels undamaged? I don't know what do you all think? To trim or not to trim? haha!

Also, with the fact that I've been to TB length in the 4 years time...can one predict a terminal length? It did feel like it was slowing down at that point but I didn't really care for the ends really well. I did all the LHC "no no's" so I wonder if my terminal will be longer than TB.

LauraLongLocks
June 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Personally, Sparkly, I am in favor of trimming as I grow, to keep those ends nice and fresh and as even as possible while growing. I think having straight fine hair makes me lean towards the clean hemline. Maybe if I went past knee it wouldn't be as important to me to keep it even. With waves and curls, it's a lot more forgiving with uneven hemlines, so you might prefer to let yours grow without trimming.

Sparklylady82
June 27th, 2014, 08:41 AM
LauraLongLocks, I think I will probably trim for awhile at least. When my hair was TB before and I finally got it trimmed the stylist said it was like cutting through mush because the ends were so damaged I guess.

ravenheather
June 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I S&D and that's all. I would trim if I was seeing damage that was more than that would take care of. I figure I will have to deal with taper to find my terminal anyway. It has been hard in the apl to bsl range though. I like fairytales much better on longer hair. I think another factor is how often you wear it up. My hair is up everyday, so the taper helps the updos hold.

RapunzelKat
June 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Another trimmer here :) My ends are fragile and get damaged so easily that it's necessary to remove them to protect my length. They create tangles and end up damaging the hair above them. I trim once every three months - about 1/2 to 1 inch.

S&D is another great option if you want to keep your fairytale ends. I do intend to let my hair fairytale out to true terminal someday. I'm not a huge fan of how FTEs look in my hair though, so I plan to keep a blunt hemline as long as possible.

Welcome back Dragon Faery! :)

bte
June 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Non trimmer here. I don't enough hair for the (to me) luxury of trimming! I tried trimming many years ago, but it just made my hair shorter. See the thread "Twenty years" to mark 20 years withut a trim, of which about 17 have been at terminal. Although, I have gaind an inch in the last year!

Sparklylady82
June 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Question! I have stopped highlighting my hair to reduce potential damage but my question is will the damage I have incurred be detrimental to my terminal length? Or does it even matter since the hair only grows so long before it falls out. If I decided to not cut it at all, would the damaged hairs eventually all be replaced or would that take REALLY long, I wonder?

I may have to just go with it and if the damaged hair gets too unruly give it a trim.

ravenheather
June 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Question! I have stopped highlighting my hair to reduce potential damage but my question is will the damage I have incurred be detrimental to my terminal length? Or does it even matter since the hair only grows so long before it falls out. If I decided to not cut it at all, would the damaged hairs eventually all be replaced or would that take REALLY long, I wonder?

I may have to just go with it and if the damaged hair gets too unruly give it a trim.

Well they will eventually fall out and be replaced, but yes that would take a long time. You could just s&d alot and trim if ends are too bad. Depends on your hair and your tolerance.

RapunzelKat
June 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM

It depends on your hair, but damage can travel up the hair shaft in some people. Also, I find that my damaged ends get entangled with healthy hair, and the resulting knots can cause more damage. When I joined LHC, my ends had gotten so bad I'd essentially stopped gaining length.

Since the damage can spread, I'd recommend trimming or a good S&D session. You can always do a tiny trim and see if that makes your hair feel better. :)

peachyleshy
June 27th, 2014, 05:54 PM
In a way I suppose I might be going for terminal, but at the same time I'm afraid of what that might be. A few years ago I grew my hair out to under my shoulder blades/bsl and it seemed like it started growing slower then... or by that time I ran out of patience (so I chopped it off - which I loved!) This time I want to go longer than bsl so I hope terminal length for me is at least a few inches past that area. My mom thinks that that was my terminal length, but I hope she's wrong!

AmyBeth
June 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Non trimmer here. I don't enough hair for the (to me) luxury of trimming! I tried trimming many years ago, but it just made my hair shorter. See the thread "Twenty years" to mark 20 years withut a trim, of which about 17 have been at terminal. Although, I have gaind an inch in the last year!

I suspect that I probably have a shorter-than-I-would-like terminal length, and it's comforting to know that even after 20 years, you can still gain length! I grew my hair for 29 years without any trims and never got past "can I call this waist?". With much better care, my hair has gotten much longer. And I went through a major stall- 6 months, no growth that I was convinced that I was at terminal. I'll never know til I get there, I guess.

queenovnight
June 28th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I was thinking of growing my hair to about classic, but im starting to change my mind after reading through this thread. I always said that I would grow my hair out until I reach an unmanageable length, but my hair is already pretty unmanageable and I continue to grow. I think I'll definitely end up growing to my terminal length. Would be really interesting to see just how long my genes will allow. - The women in my family have mostly had about TBL at some point, but they maintained. So I would just love to see what my genes are really capable of!

bte
June 28th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I suspect that I probably have a shorter-than-I-would-like terminal length, and it's comforting to know that even after 20 years, you can still gain length! I grew my hair for 29 years without any trims and never got past "can I call this waist?". With much better care, my hair has gotten much longer. And I went through a major stall- 6 months, no growth that I was convinced that I was at terminal. I'll never know til I get there, I guess.
The only way is to try - you can always change your mind once you get there! Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Sparklylady82
July 1st, 2014, 11:25 AM
Is there anyway to determine of guesstimate your terminal length? I've heard that the growth cycle is 6 years. My hair grew 1 inch in the last month. Could you multiply the monthly growth by 12 months and then again by 6 years? I really want to know how long my locks can get!

Sparklylady82
July 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Is there anyway to determine of guesstimate your terminal length? I've heard that the growth cycle is 6 years. My hair grew 1 inch in the last month. Could you multiply the monthly growth by 12 months and then again by 6 years? I really want to know how long my locks can get!

Oh and my ponytail circumference is 4"

Dragon Faery
July 1st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Welcome back Dragon Faery! :)

Thank you, RapunzelKat! Your hair is looking quite lovely. :)

Sparklylady82, chances are good that, with your growth rate, you may have a long terminal length. It's not a guarantee, since the amount of time each hair spends actually growing can vary widely from person to person. Finding terminal is all about tons of patience. :) It's quite likely your hair was simply breaking off as fast as it was growing before, due to damage. Happy growing! :)

MaryRose
July 1st, 2014, 04:24 PM
Hello everyone,
It has been a while since I posted to this site and as I was browsing, I found this thread. I started out at a pixie cut in 2008-2009. In the summer of 2009, I decided to let it grow back out to an initial goal of waist. I have since reached waist in Jan 2013 (cut out layers, regrew to waist Dec 2014) and I feel the need to let it keep growing. The only problem was to figure out my new goal. My hair is borderline wavy/curly which makes my length vary from day to day. When dry, it is between waist and hip but in the shower, my hair reaches butt crack length. After finding this site, my new hair goal will be terminal. I know its long compared to my community but it still seems short.

meteor
July 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM

One month is probably not enough to make a prediction, since many people report growth spurts and stalls.

About 6 years cycle: could you please share the source? I find it interesting and I wonder if it could be just an average number of years for the growth cycle. I really think there are many people out there that have MUCH longer anagen growth cycles because that's the only way they'd be able to grow hair longer than floor length, as I don't imagine that anybody can grow hair at the rate of many inches per month, yet there are many people with very long hair.

So my hypothesis is that it's not the rate of growth that drives the terminal length, it's the length of the anagen phase of hair growth that drives terminal. What do you guys think?

Sparklylady82
July 1st, 2014, 05:08 PM
Sparklylady82, chances are good that, with your growth rate, you may have a long terminal length. It's not a guarantee, since the amount of time each hair spends actually growing can vary widely from person to person. Finding terminal is all about tons of patience. :) It's quite likely your hair was simply breaking off as fast as it was growing before, due to damage. Happy growing! :)

I'm obviously not a patient person but I know with the support of you all I can do it! I'm predicting knee length will bet terminal am I'm hoping to be at TB in the next four years...only time will tell!

MaryRose
July 1st, 2014, 05:19 PM
Here is a link about determining terminal length and the other link is of a terminal length calculator.

I don't trust it because no one knows for sure how many hairs are on your head and how many hairs are shed daily per year. (As a brunette, I should have 100,000 hairs, I estimate that I shed 10-50 hairs a day x 365 days with a growth of .75 inches per month x 12 months). According to this my hair should grow anywhere from 277 inches or 40 inches based on my sheds. I will have to keep count of my sheds to get more of an accurate terminal length in inches.

http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/estimating-your-terminal-length.html

http://www.allvidzhaze.com/phptest/hairgrowth.html

MaryRose
July 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
After a Google search, I found that a shed of 30-50 hairs a day is considered normal but a loss of 100-120 hairs a day is not normal. Based on this, my terminal length would be between 40-78 inches.

Reference
http://www.beautylish.com/a/vcvrn/hair-shedding

chen bao jun
July 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
I am also very doubtful about the anagen period being only six years for people such as the Chinese who seem to be able to often grow hair several times as long as they are tall, if they want to. I just don't see how you could do that in six years no matter how fast your hair grew. the world record holder has been growing since 1964 and is still growing in 2004. that's a lot longer than six years
http://www.oddee.com/item_98708.aspx
(See number two, I don't count the dreadlocks which would include a bunch of shed hair)
And how about this lady?
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/dedication/longest-hair-%28female%29
There are some other serious longhairs in China--I just don't believe they checked these ladies out when that estimate of the anagen period was decided on.
ETA: see also #7 and #10

RapunzelKat
July 1st, 2014, 07:39 PM
One month is probably not enough to make a prediction, since many people report growth spurts and stalls.

About 6 years cycle: could you please share the source? I find it interesting and I wonder if it could be just an average number of years for the growth cycle. I really think there are many people out there that have MUCH longer anagen growth cycles because that's the only way they'd be able to grow hair longer than floor length, as I don't imagine that anybody can grow hair at the rate of many inches per month, yet there are many people with very long hair.

So my hypothesis is that it's not the rate of growth that drives the terminal length, it's the length of the anagen phase of hair growth that drives terminal. What do you guys think?

I am also very doubtful about the anagen period being only six years for people such as the Chinese who seem to be able to often grow hair several times as long as they are tall, if they want to. I just don't see how you could do that in six years no matter how fast your hair grew. the world record holder has been growing since 1964 and is still growing in 2004. that's a lot longer than six years
http://www.oddee.com/item_98708.aspx
(See number two, I don't count the dreadlocks which would include a bunch of shed hair)
And how about this lady?
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/dedication/longest-hair-%28female%29
There are some other serious longhairs in China--I just don't believe they checked these ladies out when that estimate of the anagen period was decided on.
ETA: see also #7 and #10

Agree that many people must have much longer anagen phases - my hair only grows about half an inch a month, but despite trims I've been steadily gaining length for somewhere in the neighborhood of nine years. My hair is significantly thinner at the bottom, but this is at least in part due to pre-LHC damage and a lackadaisical trim schedule. I do still have a blunt hemline, and my thickness has been slowly growing down, so I'll be pretty surprised if I hit terminal before knee. (I'm about 1/2 inch shy of fingertip right now.) I think that would probably represent an anagen phase of at least 10 years.

I think one of the neat things about growing to terminal is there really isn't any way to find out what it is until you reach it. You can estimate, but in the end there's no way to know for sure until you get there :D More about them journey than the destination, as they say ;)

ETA: I have been in awe of Xie Quiping's hair ever since I looked up the world record for longest hair a few years ago. Amazing.

Sparklylady82
July 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
I think one of the neat things about growing to terminal is there really isn't any way to find out what it is until you reach it. You can estimate, but in the end there's no way to know for sure until you get there :D More about them journey than the destination

I love how you say this Rapunzel!

Most definitely there must be all sorts of lengths of anagen phases! I just read of 6 years being the average somewhere. I personally know women who have been growing their hair much longer than the average and they are reaching floor lengths! I was just trying to find an estimate of what my own terminal length would be...just for fun.

Let the journey begin! I love hearing all of your hair growing stories in the meantime as I am still only approaching BSL :-)

bte
July 2nd, 2014, 05:27 AM
Predicting your terminal length is very hard. Yes, you can work out how nuch you grow in a month, multiply by 12 (months) and then by 6 (years), but the actual variation can be huge. You may grow more in some months than others, faster if you are happy or recovering from ill health or injury, and six years may not be your maximum growing time.

Best way to find out is to grow for about six years and see what happens!

lapushka
July 2nd, 2014, 06:57 AM
Terminal is way too much out of reach for me. If I can make it to classic, I'll be happy. My hair needs to be manageable for my mom to be able to wash it easily, well somewhat easily (it's always an ordeal, as I'm disabled). So no, I'll not be going to terminal length.

Sparklylady82
July 2nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Terminal is way too much out of reach for me. If I can make it to classic, I'll be happy. My hair needs to be manageable for my mom to be able to wash it easily, well somewhat easily (it's always an ordeal, as I'm disabled). So no, I'll not be going to terminal length.
Classic length will be beautiful! I can only imagine!

chen bao jun
July 2nd, 2014, 06:17 PM
Lapushka, classic will be great, I am quite sure I will never get anywhere near classic.

JamieLeigh
July 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM
As I posted in an earlier thread tonight, some days I don't know if I will ever hit my goal of terminal length. I keep cutting off the thin ends to get a thicker hemline. :(

HOWEVER. I also noted in the earlier thread - my cutting takes me to a little longer length every time. This last time I trimmed, I ended up just past fingertip length. The trim before had taken me to just past classic, the one before that to classic, the one before that to TBL+. So my hair IS getting longer, and hopefully once I get to knee with thicker ends (if I do), I will have the ability to just let it grow on out. Not sure why I hit on knee there as my benchmark, but for some reason it is like that in my mind.

JadedByEntropy
July 3rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
hopefully once I get to knee with thicker ends (if I do), I will have the ability to just let it grow on out. Not sure why I hit on knee there as my benchmark, but for some reason it is like that in my mind.
If fairytale ends [of terminal] is something you want, try to view those faster growing strands as spunky little fairies. They'll help you get to knee faster if you let them finish their race. Sounds like your making it to solid landmarks before you trim though, so youre not quite as scissor happy as I am. :D How long have you been growing for?

skyblue
July 3rd, 2014, 04:13 AM
A little update for me, when this thread first showed up I was almost to classic, I have reached that goal! Now I'm on my way to finger tip!! If I'm still growing I should reach that by winter solstice....here's hoping!
Great topic! Success to everyone!!

JamieLeigh
July 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
If fairytale ends [of terminal] is something you want, try to view those faster growing strands as spunky little fairies. They'll help you get to knee faster if you let them finish their race. Sounds like your making it to solid landmarks before you trim though, so youre not quite as scissor happy as I am. :D How long have you been growing for?

I am a lifetime longhair. :D I haven't had it above classic in years, and don't ever intend to cut it above that, so no matter what I let my ends do, it will at least stay super-long in the eyes of most people. (It may not be fair thinking, but I admit that being around LHC for 5 1/2 years has caused me to change my idea of what really long hair is. :lol: ) I've started growing to terminal many, many times, but I always get distracted away from my goal. The longest my hair has ever been was about 1.5" past my knees (upper-calf length, I guess?). I will have to get into a mindset of not minding whether my ends look thick when I wear it loose if I'm ever going to truly go to terminal length. I'm sadly not in that mindset yet.

TallK
August 16th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Count me in this goal thread! I am also curious as to how long my hair can get. Right now I am a couple of inches from elbow length, and I'm just enjoying the ride :cool:

ghost
August 17th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I am super curious to find out what my terminal length is...I know it's beyond tailbone, because I've been here before :) Really hoping for knee or past that! It's going to take me some time to get there, though. partly because knee is a long way off, and also because I like a blunt hemline and have a tendency to want to trim, even if it's just microtrimming. Eventually I'll probably have to give up and let my ends fairytale a bit...once I thicken up my hemline a little :p

eadwine
August 17th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Currently at waist, I know I can easily get to tailbone. After that is uncharted territory and I want to see how far I can go as well. I don't know if I will make terminal, we'll have to see about that one, but I am going to give it a go :)

lectraplayer
August 17th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I have been wondering how to tell where one's terminal length is, besides just "that's all I can get." Still no real answers. I would like to see what mine will do. I'm just barely touching the tops of my shoulder blades, and I can't tell if I'm moving or not.

Madora
August 17th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I have been wondering how to tell where one's terminal length is, besides just "that's all I can get." Still no real answers. I would like to see what mine will do. I'm just barely touching the tops of my shoulder blades, and I can't tell if I'm moving or not.

Give it plenty of time...at least 7 years if not longer. Sometimes hair goes thru stalling periods where NOTHING seems to be happening. Your hair is definitely growing, it doesn't seem to move downward all that fast. Also, if your hair isn't showing signs of moving, recheck your hair regimen and see if you're doing something that is detrimental...using blow fryers, harmful chemicals, combing or brushing incorrectly. Not detangling properly. Is your diet good? Good nutrition is a major plus when it comes to hair health. Perhaps your follicles just need a good push...have you tried daily scalp massage in the bent at the waist position? Be sure to detangle your hair before and after each session! Good luck!

SunnyIC
August 17th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I would like to join. I'm really curious to see how long my hair can grow. The fact that it will take years is bothersome for my non-patient self but the curiosity to find the limit wins me a little patience.

erizabesu
August 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm aiming for terminal (unless I find the length completely unmanageable); I'm currently at hip and have been as long as about tailbone before. One of my sisters is just short of classic. I have more thickness, less taper, and healthier ends than she does, so I'm thinking I'll make it at least that far. We'll see how things develop. :)

PrincessBob
August 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I go back and forth on wanting to see where it will stop itself. I find my updos feeling a little heavy at knee. My stated goal is hair as long as I am tall but that may be a stretch for me.

lapushka
August 17th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Lapushka, classic will be great, I am quite sure I will never get anywhere near classic.

You *never* know. Who knows where you'll be in a few years to come. It looks like it's long already, and it keeps growing that's for sure! So...

Imalath
August 17th, 2014, 08:13 PM
My ultimate goal is terminal; after I see just how long it grows on its own I may cut back to a more manageable length. I have never been longer than just brushing hip, and that was back before I did anything to care for my hair besides wash and brush. I know my mother had hair somewhere between knee and calf when she was young; there are no full body pictures from that time to see how long it really was. We have the same hair type though; my hair is just as fine as hers, and almost the same color. The only difference is texture; I have the wurly almost-curly hair some of her uncles have. I have high hopes for inheriting her hair genetics, lol.

I am solidly mid-back at the moment, and aiming for waist before I trim off some damaged ends. After that I will focus on eating healthy and exercising more, so my new growth is as healthy as it can be and see where I end up!

Sparklylady82
August 18th, 2014, 12:44 AM
I am super curious to find out what my terminal length is...I know it's beyond tailbone, because I've been here before :) Really hoping for knee or past that! It's going to take me some time to get there, though. partly because knee is a long way off, and also because I like a blunt hemline and have a tendency to want to trim, even if it's just microtrimming. Eventually I'll probably have to give up and let my ends fairytale a bit...once I thicken up my hemline a little :p

In the past my hair started to break off at tailbone, BUT I didn't know about taking care of my hair then! I think it would grow longer with what I know about hair care now!

Red'N'Curly
August 22nd, 2014, 12:52 PM
I'm really thinking about just letting my hair get as long as it wants to. Classic would be wonderful if it can do it! Hopefully I can find fun hair toys to keep me from getting bored and cutting it off!

MNDaydreamer
September 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM
My goal is to find terminal and hopefully be able to care for it well enough that it can stay long and healthy. I think I am just past waist now. Hopefully I have a long way to go before I reach my terminal length!

catamonica
September 21st, 2014, 04:15 PM
My hair is about two inches above tailbone. It won't grow anymore. But I'm thinking of wearing it up for a month. Wash it only once a month. To see if it will grow. And just do two scalp washes a week. Just have to wait & see.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 04:17 PM
My hair is about two inches above tailbone. It won't grow anymore. But I'm thinking of wearing it up for a month. Wash it only once a month. To see if it will grow. And just do two scalp washes a week. Just have to wait & see.

It might grow some more of you wear it up more! Wearing it up has certainly helped me keep the growth i made :)

chen bao jun
September 21st, 2014, 05:05 PM
Good luck. Up does help. I wish I would get to tailbone (not that that's helpful to you to hear, but I really do).

hanne jensen
September 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I'd like to grow to ankle length if it's at all possible. I'm only at BSL, so it will take years. I'm in for the long haul and am currently just putting my hair up and forgetting about it. It's growing like a weed, so I must be doing something right.

Madora
September 26th, 2014, 08:11 AM

How do you know it won't grow any more? Have you waited at least 7 years to see if you can't grow longer? Keeping it up really does help with protecting it..and protected hair (at least mine) does get longer!

Madora
September 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I'd like to grow to ankle length if it's at all possible. I'm only at BSL, so it will take years. I'm in for the long haul and am currently just putting my hair up and forgetting about it. It's growing like a weed, so I must be doing something right.

That is quite a goal you set for yourself, hanne jensen! Good for you. Sounds like you're off to a grand start!

I really admire those ladies who can grow uber long, healthy tresses! Such patience! Not so much the growing process, but the daily detangling, and especially when the hair hits the shower! Goodness!

ravenheather
September 26th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Madora, what is your opinion on trimming? Is some trimming necessary while growing out to prevent breakage? If so, how often?

Madora
September 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Madora, what is your opinion on trimming? Is some trimming necessary while growing out to prevent breakage? If so, how often?

Yes, I think some trimming is necessary if you are going for great lengths. It's just the nature of the beast..those poor ends get frazzeled eventually. As for the trimming itself...I'd say every 4 months, maybe an inch. Or stretch it to 5 months. For me, the thing is to stay away from as much damage as possible, with as little trimming as possible. I always wear my hair up, and haven't trimmed in over a year. But I do S and D religiously every week.

ravenheather
September 28th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks Madora for your viewpoint. I trimmed a bit for the first time in 3 years. Hair has stalled for 9 months. I don't see obvious signs of breakage. I would rather hope its breakage though than terminal at bsl. So we shall see if this helps me retain growth. Think I will try every 4 months for a bit. I hate trimming.

Madora
September 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks Madora for your viewpoint. I trimmed a bit for the first time in 3 years. Hair has stalled for 9 months. I don't see obvious signs of breakage. I would rather hope its breakage though than terminal at bsl. So we shall see if this helps me retain growth. Think I will try every 4 months for a bit. I hate trimming.

I know hair stalls can drive a body nuts! I had one that lasted 8 months before things got back into gear. Just keep up the TLC and try to wear it up as much as possible, and protect it as night as well (silk pillowcases and all that). Happy growing!

ravenheather
September 28th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the support. I will just keep on keeping on.

jrmviola
September 28th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the support. I will just keep on keeping on.

don't give up, keep on keeping on! :D

hanne jensen
September 29th, 2014, 01:40 AM
That is quite a goal you set for yourself, hanne jensen! Good for you. Sounds like you're off to a grand start!

I really admire those ladies who can grow uber long, healthy tresses! Such patience! Not so much the growing process, but the daily detangling, and especially when the hair hits the shower! Goodness!

I'll worry about all the problems when the time comes. I've got a long way to go and I consider every milestone a learning process. Thankfully, Hubby is very supportive and will probably find an ingenious solution.

JadedByEntropy
November 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I just attacked the splits and ended up just trimming them all in a frenzy :rant: but i'm still at bcl :D
I was curious if my natural taper (no layers) will let me get much further. I put hairbands at each inch difference, and it never gets less than 1.5 yet, but it worried me at how close the bands were spaced.
Is this normal? lol I just had the 'why is my hair so short' feeling a few days ago and don't want this to be nearing term...

http://s26.postimg.org/uae1r8ap5/hair_14_11_thickness_changes.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free picture upload (http://postimage.org/)

LauraLongLocks
November 10th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I just attacked the splits and ended up just trimming them all in a frenzy :rant: but i'm still at bcl :D
I was curious if my natural taper (no layers) will let me get much further. I put hairbands at each inch difference, and it never gets less than 1.5 yet, but it worried me at how close the bands were spaced.
Is this normal? lol I just had the 'why is my hair so short' feeling a few days ago and don't want this to be nearing term...

http://s26.postimg.org/uae1r8ap5/hair_14_11_thickness_changes.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free picture upload (http://postimage.org/)

Have you been maintaining at this length for years? You'll only know in retrospect if this is close to term, after you have maintained here for years. Thickness does travel down over time, but it takes a lot of time.

JadedByEntropy
November 10th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Have you been maintaining at this length for years? You'll only know in retrospect if this is close to term, after you have maintained here for years. Thickness does travel down over time, but it takes a lot of time.

oh, i haven't. This is still a short bob i'm growing out that used to be thick, but is now not so much. I'm glad to hear the rest will maybe catch up to it. I'm not good with patience :D

Allie_snowflake
November 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Jaded your hair is similar to mine as far as the taper goes. I figure that my thickness is working it's way down. I go from a iii down to middle ii at about shoulder and I think it correlates to when I switched to henna and stopped the chemical bleach blond I'd been for twenty years. My hair is finally regaining the same density I had back as a teenager and it is just moving on down the length. I actually notice the thickness moving down more than I notice extra length.

ETA: You're probably just getting healthier hair than nearing the "end". :)

horsesrluv3
December 2nd, 2014, 10:10 PM
I am new to LHC but I am not new to long hair. I have basically just figured out things as my hair got longer. People ask me what how I have such long hair and basically I just don't cut it, just trim once in a while. I want to grow to terminal but I have recently been getting a lot of split ends.
http://s25.postimg.org/hmroffdwb/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
This was basically my hair style until I was 12.
Now
http://s25.postimg.org/ltciurdi7/405.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image post (http://postimage.org/)

sycamoreboutiqu
December 3rd, 2014, 01:28 AM
I am new to LHC but I am not new to long hair. I have basically just figured out things as my hair got longer. People ask me what how I have such long hair and basically I just don't cut it, just trim once in a while. I want to grow to terminal but I have recently been getting a lot of split ends.
Now

Wow, that is a great head of hair. Are you just about calf length ?

Lady melissa
December 3rd, 2014, 01:58 AM
horsesrluv3 Wow amazing...is blond your natural hair color?

bte
December 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
Now
Stunning! Kep it up!

Madora
December 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM
Now

You have a magnificent mane, horsesrluv3!

As for the split ends, they are either caused by mechanical damage or lack of moisture. Given that your hair is so long, and therefore more delicate/aged, those ends are more prone to splits than the rest of your hair. You might try using a drop of Mineral Oil on the ends to keep them moisturized. MO is very lightweight, doesn't leave an after smell, washes out in your next shampoo. MO also helps tame flyaways and is a great detangler (which I why I use it).

Johannah
December 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM
Now

Your hair is STUNNING.

ashke50
December 3rd, 2014, 07:52 AM
Now

Wow! :thud: Your hair is amazing!

horsesrluv3
December 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Not quite. I did just do a trim. It is right about at my knees. I want to see how long it will get but I want it to be healthy so I am going to try trimming a little more often.

horsesrluv3
December 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
horsesrluv3 Wow amazing...is blond your natural hair color?

No, I have never changed my hair color. It does have a lot of red in it and I get natural highlights from the sun.

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
horsesrluv3, your hair is phenomenal! :thudpile:
And I think you've got a loooooooooong way to go before reaching terminal: you have no visible taper!

As for recent splits, is the air getting seasonally drier where you live?
Using oils/serum/emollient leave-ins on the ends should help stave off split ends and increase hair elasticity. And sleeping on silk satin or other smooth materials (pillowcase and/or sleep cap) should help, too.

Annalouise
December 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Horsesrluv3 - those are one helluva hair genes you have!:D
Don't we all wish we had hair like yours!

And no visible taper yet as Meteor said. Amazing!

horsesrluv3
December 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
horsesrluv3, your hair is phenomenal! :thudpile:
And I think you've got a loooooooooong way to go before reaching terminal: you have no visible taper!

As for recent splits, is the air getting seasonally drier where you live?
Using oils/serum/emollient leave-ins on the ends should help stave off split ends and increase hair elasticity. And sleeping on silk satin or other smooth materials (pillowcase and/or sleep cap) should help, too.

I finally Got proper scissors to do s&d. I am going to get a sleep cap as soon as possible. I did start using coconut oil (which my hair was soaking up like crazy) but now that it is colder I tried olive oil. That did not seem to work as well for me.

Jenn_Ivan
December 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Now

Your hair is beautiful.

mariakatija
December 5th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Now

I love your hair!!

Dragon Faery
December 5th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Yay for all the new additions to this thread! It makes me happy to see so many people interested in growing to terminal! :cheese:

A little update: I have just microtrimmed back to 36", and now will only S&D until Tailbone. That will be around 38" or 39". Then I'll go back to microtrimming and slowly gaining length for a few more inches. I'm hoping for TBL around Easter. Though if I can get my health to be slightly better again it may grow faster.

My overall plan hasn't changed. I want to grow with trims until at least 2020, maybe 2025. Then I plan to only S&D and let it fairytale out at least until 2030. By then, barring any major setbacks, I should hopefully have a good idea of what my terminal is. And I really hope it's past floor, though I'll be reasonably content with Knee if that's as far as it can go.

Happy growing!

Night_Kitten
December 6th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Wow, what amazing hair horsesrluv3, absolutely gorgeous :D

Xan
December 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Looks stunning Horsesrluv3, you must be at a solid knee wow, soon enough it will be to your ankles great work.

Now

Michelle051
December 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
oops wrong thread :(

Islandgrrl
December 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I suppose I should jump into this thread. Since recently reaching knee length, I've re-evaluated my goals and decided that I should just go for it and see what happens.

Terminal, here I come!

JadedByEntropy
December 17th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Wow islandgrrl thats great! Knee must be practically terminal anyway, right? at that point its only a small percentage away ;) unless you have the best genes (and you already do to get this far along) :cheer:

Islandgrrl
December 17th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Wow islandgrrl thats great! Knee must be practically terminal anyway, right? at that point its only a small percentage away ;) unless you have the best genes (and you already do to get this far along) :cheer:

I don't know. It's never been longer than knee length before. I guess I'll find out!

ravenheather
December 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Pics. Pics. Pics. Ok I will try to behave. But pictures would be wonderful Islandgrrl if you were so inclined. Your hair must be amazing at knee.

diggem
January 21st, 2015, 01:42 PM
I knew one woman whose terminal length was mid-thigh. Unfortunately, she really didn't take care of it, so terminal for her was probably more "that's how long it grows with damage". Another I knew had hair that had never been cut. Her hair came to her ankles, which was terminal for her. She did take very good care of her hair.

diggem

skeletonous
January 21st, 2015, 07:23 PM
I should probably peek in this thread more if not join it because even though my hair is SL right now my goal is to eventually have hair down to the floor if my genes allow it, so why not go for terminal? I'm curious to see what it is. :)

JadedByEntropy
January 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
I should probably peek in this thread more if not join it because even though my hair is SL right now my goal is to eventually have hair down to the floor if my genes allow it, so why not go for terminal? I'm curious to see what it is. :)

Thats a long way to grow from SL! Have you seen that floor is possible in your family? I know for some SL is terminal...
I'm the first to grow for my family tree so its really exciting! Who knows to where it grows!

skeletonous
January 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
Thats a long way to grow from SL! Have you seen that floor is possible in your family? I know for some SL is terminal...
I'm the first to grow for my family tree so its really exciting! Who knows to where it grows!

I haven't seen that it's possible in my family, but my great-grandma had probably BCL/TBL hair for as long as I knew her until she passed, and I think she maintained it there but I'm not sure...it could have been her terminal length. Plus my great aunt has had classic+ hair before...from what I think I remember seeing in a picture I think she got it to mid-thigh (!) before she cut it short. I know that I personally can at least grow to MBL/Waist because that's the longest I've allowed my hair to grow before...but it seems like at least my Mom's side of the family has great hair length genes (my mom herself is already near WL after letting hers grow out for a little while now) so I'm really excited to see how long I can grow mine. :o If it does get to floor (in like 10 years or so if I only get small trims) I might maintain it there but I feel like I'd still want to know my terminal length.

Also how exciting! :cheer:

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM

Hey, just join on in! :D You can always change your mind later, and you may as well hang out if you want to give terminal a try. I'm also hoping for floor length, but nobody else in my family wears their hair long so there's only one way to find out if I can do it. :bluebiggr

skeletonous
January 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
^ Very true :) thanks! I hope you can get there, I feel like it would be such a wonderful feeling (plus a showstopper of a bun drop) :p.

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
^ Very true :) thanks! I hope you can get there, I feel like it would be such a wonderful feeling (plus a showstopper of a bun drop) :p.

Yeah, you could really shock people that way! :lol:

OUKess
January 22nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
horsesrluv3 you have beautiful hair!! An awesome mane!!

dancingbarefoot
January 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
I haven't posted in a long time, but I think I may have reached terminal. It's hovering right around my ankles now, but I haven't seen any noticeable growth in about a year. No pictures at the moment, though.

mamaherrera
January 22nd, 2015, 10:38 PM
I just put in my estimations in that growth calculator someone posted on here,With me shedding about 70 hairs per day (varies, but average) and having an estimate of 90,000 hairs (although I think it's more like 80,000) it says my hair will only grow 15. 31 inches, if that's waist or hip or whatever, I don't know. but I think I"m at a stall here, close to waist. Any of you get there and can't go farther?

squirrrel
January 23rd, 2015, 12:39 AM
Think I'm coming to join this thread as well... I may have to change my mind if I find it becoming unmanageable in the longer lengths (or can't keep on top of splitting etc) though. Just now I'm at BSL, it has a fair few split ends (trying to do weekly S&D to help with that), but is pretty thick otherwise. So I can grow on.

One of my 'greats' was able to grow classic+ hair I'm told (worn in milkmaids most of the time), so there are long hair genes somewhere in the family. Am curious to see just how long I can go...

Madora
January 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
I just put in my estimations in that growth calculator someone posted on here,With me shedding about 70 hairs per day (varies, but average) and having an estimate of 90,000 hairs (although I think it's more like 80,000) it says my hair will only grow 15. 31 inches, if that's waist or hip or whatever, I don't know. but I think I"m at a stall here, close to waist. Any of you get there and can't go farther?

I once went for 8 months without any real progress. But my hair finally started getting longer. Some stalls are very lengthy..years for example. You (general "you") have to be patient and be willing to wait out a year or two before admitting your hair has stopped growing.

Aleahcim
January 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM
Going for terminal must be exciting and a huge commitment. With people reporting stalls that can last year's I guess you can never know absolutely for certain.

As I am jus starting my growing journey and am only at apl right now, I doubt terminal length is not something I could realistically consider. Perhaps many many years down the road. Although I do think I'll get those "what if" thoughts more and more as I grow.

diggem
January 23rd, 2015, 11:24 AM

Though you may shed about 70 hairs per day (I think average is 100), the 70 hairs that may be shed will repeat before all your hairs have been shed. If you are shedding 70 hairs, I'd guestimate that 50% of those are repeat offenders, so your net loss is probably more like 35 (round up to 40 to be a bit conservative). So, shedding 40 hairs per day, for 80,000 hairs, leaves us with 2000 days, or 5.4 years, with an average growth rate of 6 inches per year, this comes to 33 inches (not necessarily measured from your hairline).

diggem

mamaherrera
January 23rd, 2015, 12:17 PM
oh you mean, like some of those short hairs that have shorter terminal length and repeat? Yeah you might be right, hopefully!! I do have a large area at my temples of hair that grows anywhere from 1.5 inches to 5 inches.

chen bao jun
January 23rd, 2015, 10:32 PM
M ama Herrera don't trust those calculations too much, igor, who wrote that article said how inexact they are. People have started growing again after stalls of more than a year, so if you wear your hair up and are gentle, etc, just wait and see.

More and more I realize how skewed our ideas of terminal length are because so few make any kind of try to reach it. It's fascinating to see what some LHC ers have achieved.

Alex Lou
January 24th, 2015, 02:31 AM
I'm on the fence. I like waist length best but am strongly considering going terminal just out of ... curiosity and desire for a project to work on maybe? I'm at waist length now and have been slightly longer before with no sign of growth stopping. So I have no idea how many years terminal will take from here. And all I need is 1 day where I decide I'm not doing it. :lol:

JadedByEntropy
January 24th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I haven't posted in a long time, but I think I may have reached terminal. It's hovering right around my ankles now, but I haven't seen any noticeable growth in about a year. No pictures at the moment, though.

woah pictures if you dont mind. Thats fantastic!

kitchenwench
January 24th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Haven't been on LHC forever. I recently realize my hair is the longest its ever been and I'm pretty curious how long it can go now that I'm comfortable with braids and buns. I've never noticed it pause in growing before, I guess I'll pay more attention.

Shepherdess
January 26th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I haven't been around much for a while. My hair had almost been to knee length when it started getting very thin and poor looking at the ends, so I decided to trim it thinking it would make my hair look better. At summertime my hair seemed a bit healthier and grew back a few inches, but then in late autumn (almost winter) my hair started getting thin at the ends again, then I realized my hair was shedding heavily (would comb my hair multiple times and get handfuls of shed hair). I can't remember it ever shedding so badly before, so it was a bit unusual, even for the time of year. This went on for a few weeks. My hair looked very poor at the ends again so I decided to trim again, leaving it barely at classic length when it is wet. So that's about where I am at now, I still am not satisfied with how my hair looks health-wise, though I don't dare trim it again. I have always had very thick hair, so my hair is still thick at the nape, so I am guessing that my longest hairs must have shed. I have also been having worse acne than usual so I almost wonder if it may have been related to hormones. Whatever the case, I am hoping to get back to growing my hair out and maybe I'll leave off trimming it for a year or two.

CoveredByLove
January 26th, 2015, 06:37 PM
My goal length is terminal. :) This was so much fun!!! I found the instructions on how to calculate my terminal length and did it! I know there is a lot of estimation here, but I got a terminal length I didn't expect! 54 inches! I do have a very slow shedding rate compared to what is said to be "average". I am five foot tall, that's 60". 54 inches measured from the top of my head would hit me at right above my ankle. But my hair is curly, so it would look like knee or top of calf. :) The thought of having hair as long as Quixii sounds too good to be true! My mom had hair to a few inches past classic and didn't really take great care of it (hot rollers, ripping through tangles, ect) Heredity is in my favor I think....I hope :pray:

chen bao jun
January 26th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Yes, the thought of having hair like Quixi does sound too good to be true, it's beautiful.

I want to get to waist, I do suspect waist and my terminal are the same thing. well see.

cathair
January 26th, 2015, 08:40 PM

Huh. Well I guess I hadn't thought about it like that. I have no idea if floor length hair would be possible in my family. I think I've just realised I have he longest hair in my family for maybe 100 years and that's only because I know the people who were born then wore it short and the one who had it 'long' for periods of time, to my knowledge were not past hip. I don't even know what happened before then. I might try and find out. What a weird thought.

Sparklylady82
January 26th, 2015, 11:46 PM
My goal length is terminal. :) This was so much fun!!! I found the instructions on how to calculate my terminal length and did it! I know there is a lot of estimation here, but I got a terminal length I didn't expect! 54 inches! I do have a very slow shedding rate compared to what is said to be "average". I am five foot tall, that's 60". 54 inches measured from the top of my head would hit me at right above my ankle. But my hair is curly, so it would look like knee or top of calf. :) The thought of having hair as long as Quixii sounds too good to be true! My mom had hair to a few inches past classic and didn't really take great care of it (hot rollers, ripping through tangles, ect) Heredity is in my favor I think....I hope :pray:

That is quite impressive terminal length! Where is this calculator you speak of, I'd love to find my terminal length as well :-D I've grown BCL before so I know it will be at least that long (I wasn't hair friendly at the time ;-))

CoveredByLove
January 27th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Sparkly lady

Here ya go. :) http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/estimating-your-terminal-length.html?m=1
This is her blog, but I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here too about it. Even though I do hope that is my terminal length, I just did it for fun, knowing its still a guesstimate. The longest my hair has been was TBL and I wasn't too kind to it then as well. So, I'm sure with good care I could grow past that now...and you could too! I'm just not sure if I could really make it all the way to ankle! :) I used the method going by your estimated number of hairs on your head.
Let us know what you're is! I'm curious! :D

Belle Paix
January 27th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I'd love to join this, but haven't been able to talk myself into anything beyond FTL yet. As much as I admire seeing longer on other folks, I don't know that I can handle anything beyond that! But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread!! I totally admire all of you folks, lol!

ashke50
January 27th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Generally when I use the calculators they tell me that my terminal is somewhere at least a foot shorter than my current length, so I don't think they are very accurate for me.

My ends don't seem much thinner now (at nearly fingertip) than when I was at TBL, so I'm hoping I will make it to knee. It seems unlikely that my hair will grow longer than that, but you never know till you try I guess. I never thought I'd have hair long enough I could sit on it, and I reached that milestone a few months back!

chen bao jun
January 27th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Oh ashke, being able to sit on my hair is my dream. I grew up hearing how my granny could do that would only wish one day to do the same.and yours is so very pretty, too.

skeletonous
January 27th, 2015, 12:19 PM
This may be way off considering I don't really know how much I shed per day so I guessed maybe 50 at first but even that seems like too much considering I only see sheds when I detangle sometimes and when I shampoo my hair on wash night :hmm: I'd say maybe 20 from what I remember and that put my estimated terminal at like 84.75 inches :thud: which is amazing! I hope that's a more accurate estimate. :eyebrows:

ETA: I have edited this post way too many times already :p I though I wanted to add that I probably realistically shed more than 20 a day on average even though I don't see it...but a girl can dream! :cloud9:

Thistle4U
January 27th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I want to see how long I can go as well. I thought Classic would be good but now that I'm about there, I think knee lengt would be good, lol

CoveredByLove
January 27th, 2015, 02:08 PM
This may be way off considering I don't really know how much I shed per day so I guessed maybe 50 at first but even that seems like too much considering I only see sheds when I detangle sometimes and when I shampoo my hair on wash night :hmm: I'd say maybe 20 from what I remember and that put my estimated terminal at like 84.75 inches :thud: which is amazing! I hope that's a more accurate estimate. :eyebrows:

ETA: I have edited this post way too many times already :p I though I wanted to add that I probably realistically shed more than 20 a day on average even though I don't see it...but a girl can dream! :cloud9:

Wow! Awesome! :D I only see about fifteen hairs at the most (and usually less) in the shower or in my brush (if I brush before I shower). I put 40 hairs as my shed rate, just because I may not see the few that slip out down the drain I didn't catch or dropped on the floor while taking my hair down, ect...I thought I'd be generous with my shed rate by using 40 instead of fifteen. Im thinking the average "100 hairs a day" isn't very accurate. I'd be worried if I lost 100 hairs! :lol:

erizabesu
January 27th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Using very, very conservative estimates for my shed rate (50 hairs a day) and the number of hairs on my head (100,000) gave me an estimated terminal length of about 57 inches. My shed rate is actually usually very low; I would say its less than 10 hairs on most days. I am blond, but I doubt that I currently have their estimate of 120,000 hairs because my hair is considerably thinner than it was when I was a teenager. Using more intermediate values (20 sheds a day and 110,000 hairs) gave me an estimated terminal length of about 156 inches. Hmm, somehow I'm rather doubtful of this estimate, but it sure would be interesting if it were true!

skeletonous
January 27th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Wow! Awesome! :D I only see about fifteen hairs at the most (and usually less) in the shower or in my brush (if I brush before I shower). I put 40 hairs as my shed rate, just because I may not see the few that slip out down the drain I didn't catch or dropped on the floor while taking my hair down, ect...I thought I'd be generous with my shed rate by using 40 instead of fifteen. Im thinking the average "100 hairs a day" isn't very accurate. I'd be worried if I lost 100 hairs! :lol:

Indeed! :D And me too...I might actually go to the trouble to count the sheds that I have on wash day and divide it by 3 (I currently go 3 days without shampooing) to get an average even though it can be tedious.

JadedByEntropy
January 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Just used the thickness-changing method of projecting my terminal result. its a bit funky, and likely to die out faster than the .1x+10 slope that seemed like an average past the frizz that gets to my shoulders.

http://s14.postimg.org/eyomy05vl/00_projected_thickness_changes.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image hosting 30 mb (http://postimage.org/)

I might make it to fingertip...which was my secret goal besides once i found term ^^

I'm surprisingly measurable with cm....that is strange.

pittsburgpam
January 28th, 2015, 05:58 AM
I guess I'm going for terminal. :) I had plans of Classic but well... now it's knee. I probably won't stop there since I want to see how long it will get. I am thinking of cutting off blunt at Classic right now to get rid of the thinner ends. I need someone to cut it though and I'm very wary of that.

Sparklylady82
January 28th, 2015, 03:58 PM
My estimated terminal based on 100,000 hairs on my head with a growth rate of .60 inches per month and 30 shed hairs per day is 62.50 inches! I am only 64" tall so that will be interesting if it is accurate :-D

I actually didn't know what to choose blonde or brown hair. I was blonde as a child but now am blonette so I wasn't sure? I am not even sure if I shed that much either!

skeletonous
January 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM
So I counted my shed hairs since tonight was wash night and I got about 123 from not washing for 3 days, rounding that up to 130, I would lose about 43 hairs per day if I washed every day. With a monthly growth rate of 0.5 inches and being a dark brunette (about 100,000 hairs), the calculator estimated my terminal at 32.99 inches, which confuses me because erizabesu said she got a terminal of 57 inches with 50 sheds per day and the same estimated amount of hair. Unless her monthly growth rate is more, I'm confused as to how that worked. :p

I hope my terminal is longer than 33 inches...that's only about BCL and I want to grow way longer than that, though I'd be thankful since some people's terminals are way shorter.

erizabesu
January 29th, 2015, 08:10 AM
So I counted my shed hairs since tonight was wash night and I got about 123 from not washing for 3 days, rounding that up to 130, I would lose about 43 hairs per day if I washed every day. With a monthly growth rate of 0.5 inches and being a dark brunette (about 100,000 hairs), the calculator estimated my terminal at 32.99 inches, which confuses me because erizabesu said she got a terminal of 57 inches with 50 sheds per day and the same estimated amount of hair. Unless her monthly growth rate is more, I'm confused as to how that worked. :p

I hope my terminal is longer than 33 inches...that's only about BCL and I want to grow way longer than that, though I'd be thankful since some people's terminals are way shorter.

It may be that my growth rate is higher than yours. My average so far is 0.862 inches a month, which should give me just over 10 inches a year. I've only been taking monthly hair measurements since last May though, so I would be surprised if that number changes quite a bit as I keep measuring.

diggem
January 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM
The error in the calculator has one glaring problem. Certain hairs have a tendency to shed more than others, usually the hairs growing in the temple area. Here are some averages to go by:

The average head of hair has 80,000 hairs for redheads, 100,000 hairs for brunettes, and 120,000 hairs for blondes
The average head of hair grows 6 inches per year (0.5 inches a month)
The average head of hair sheds 100 hairs per day

That being said: 100000/(100*365)*6 = 16.4 inches for average terminal length.

That's not very good, and most people appear to be able to grow their hair much longer. The biggest problem is primarily the number of hairs shed per day. Also, the number of hairs range is quite wide at 20,000 hairs per group. The inches grown per year, and hairs on our head, are the ones that is realistically measurable. You loose hairs while walking. The best you can do is guestimate.

I have not evidence for this, but I believe that between 40% and 60% of shedded hairs are hairs that have not been shed before. So the above "average terminal length" is actually between 27 and 41 inches. Still a huge range, but I think consistent with our observations.

I had a biology teacher in college that categorically stated that no head of hair can grow beyond waist length, and that anyone who has longer hair has fake hair or something artificial done to their hair. He was a jerk.

So, let's take Sparklylady82's numbers with this new formula:

100,000 hairs/(30 hairs/day * 365 days/year)*(0.6 inches/month * 12 months/year)/60% = 109.6 inches

I think that sounds more realistic. Also, what it does not take into account is hair growth rest periods, as hair tends to grow for a while, then rest for a while, and then start growing again. This will also play into terminal length. I have no numbers to know what the average growth/rest periods are for a head of hair. If anyone has any insight on this, we could factor it in.

diggem

truepeacenik
January 29th, 2015, 10:52 AM
As someone who has admitted to a stylist that my goal was terminal minus two inches, I find the calculator laughable.
It gave me 41 inches. I recently trimmed four inches off, and I still had 40. And the racer hairs were almost seven inches long (therefore a pro trim, I typically still had a zone of racers showing after a self trim. And crappy hemline.) when cut.

skeletonous
January 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM
It may be that my growth rate is higher than yours. My average so far is 0.862 inches a month, which should give me just over 10 inches a year. I've only been taking monthly hair measurements since last May though, so I would be surprised if that number changes quite a bit as I keep measuring.

Ah I see :) I think mine is around half an inch per month so that's what I used, but I'm not even sure of that myself. I don't measure because I feel like I'd get it inaccurate anyway unless it was wet.

Sparklylady82
January 29th, 2015, 09:46 PM
The error in the calculator has one glaring problem. Certain hairs have a tendency to shed more than others, usually the hairs growing in the temple area. Here are some averages to go by:

The average head of hair has 80,000 hairs for redheads, 100,000 hairs for brunettes, and 120,000 hairs for blondes

That's not very good, and most people appear to be able to grow their hair much longer. The biggest problem is primarily the number of hairs shed per day. Also, the number of hairs range is quite wide at 20,000 hairs per group. The inches grown per year, and hairs on our head, are the ones that is realistically measurable. You loose hairs while walking. The best you can do is guestimate.

I have not evidence for this, but I believe that between 40% and 60% of shedded hairs are hairs that have not been shed before. So the above "average terminal length" is actually between 27 and 41 inches. Still a huge range, but I think consistent with our observations.

100,000 hairs/(30 hairs/day * 365 days/year)*(0.6 inches/month * 12 months/year)/60% = 109.6 inches

I think that sounds more realistic. Also, what it does not take into account is hair growth rest periods, as hair tends to grow for a while, then rest for a while, and then start growing again. This will also play into terminal length. I have no numbers to know what the average growth/rest periods are for a head of hair. If anyone has any insight on this, we could factor it in.

diggem

Very Interesting and thank you for using my numbers as an example :cool:

I actually counted my shed hairs yesterday since it was wash day and I lost 55 hairs which is much more than I expected. It wasn't the usual wash though because I had to clarify after using a shampoo bar so my hair was washed twice and roughed up a bit :-( I probably shed between 20-50 per day. If I put the 55 shed hairs into the calculator instead of the 30 I get a terminal length of about 32 inches which is hip length on me. I've been BCL when hair is wet before so I guess that could be right. I just figured I could grow longer because my hair was damaged and breaking off at that length...only time will tell!

skeletonous
January 30th, 2015, 06:40 PM

diggem

With this formula I got a terminal estimate of about 54.8 inches if I did my math right:

100,000 hairs/(50 hairs/day * 365 days/year)*(0.5 inches/month * 12 months/year)/60% = roughly 54.79

very happy about this considering I'm 63 inches tall (5'3") and 54 inches looks to be about ankle length on me! :cheer: Measuring from my part down though, not the usual LHC way. I also rounded up in shed hairs for this calculation.

swearnsue
January 30th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I think I will try for terminal. As long as I'm able to care for my hair, why not? It is something I've always wanted to do but life got busy, times got hard and I never did. Now I'm retired so growing to terminal will be my hobby.

Yea!

LauraLongLocks
February 1st, 2015, 06:31 PM
I think I will try for terminal. As long as I'm able to care for my hair, why not? It is something I've always wanted to do but life got busy, times got hard and I never did. Now I'm retired so growing to terminal will be my hobby.

Yea!

I love that you are doing this as a hobby. I haven't decided if I want to know my terminal. I want to know if I can make it to knee, but past that I don't know. I like knowing I can wear it down for special occasions. Wouldn't be able to do that if it was floor length or longer.

darklyndsea
February 1st, 2015, 09:51 PM
I love that you are doing this as a hobby. I haven't decided if I want to know my terminal. I want to know if I can make it to knee, but past that I don't know. I like knowing I can wear it down for special occasions. Wouldn't be able to do that if it was floor length or longer.

You just have to make sure all of your special occasions are formal enough to get away with wearing a dress with a train. ;)

palaeoqueen
February 3rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
I still don't know whether I will grow to terminal or not, I'm only just at BSL so I suspect I have a while to think about it ;)

lapushka
February 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM
Just found out my great-grandma had even longer hair than classic, as mom said she had to bend down to get the comb through the length. So now I'm tempted. If classic is comfy enough, I'll keep growing. :)

Catatafish
February 3rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
You just have to make sure all of your special occasions are formal enough to get away with wearing a dress with a train. ;)

Haha, brilliant!

I keep lurking on this thread, and I'm not even at BSL yet. It's something I'd like to try, but I'll have to see how difficult it would be. For some reason, I just REALLY want to know how long it is possible to grow my hair.

mamaherrera
February 3rd, 2015, 01:38 PM
I think for those who have mentioned that those who shed a lot (like me--80 per day, average) it's because we have larger areas that shed out short. Like right now, I just thought of that, because one time I was playing with my hair, and like 20 hairs came out, and I inspected them, and OVER HALF of them had only grown 15 inches or less, so obviously they're not coming from my longest length areas, I think all around my head, I have a good area of hairs that only grow that long.

TaterTot
February 3rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
Just found out my great-grandma had even longer hair than classic, as mom said she had to bend down to get the comb through the length. So now I'm tempted. If classic is comfy enough, I'll keep growing. :)

The desire is ancestral!

nicolezoie
February 3rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
My hair has been to the floor now (72" from my hairline) for about 2 years or so. In the past two years I have cut 6-8 inches twice, so without trims, I suppose my hair could be 14-16 inches longer, but truthfully, those ends had to go each time they went. There wasn't much there. I've had a few stalls over the years, but suspect that had more to do with breakage equaling growth, and so with a couple good trims, the breakage stopped and my hair began making visible progress again. MSM helped some as did Biotin, but I haven't taken either of those in years (the biotin did help bump-start a stall once). I can't even say for sure if MSM helped prolong my growth cycle, now! My hair *wants* to get longer!

I'm not exactly out to see what my terminal length is, but I started out that way. Here we are many years later, my hair still continues to grow around 9+ inches a year, and is reasonably thick at the ends. It tapers, sure, but not down to a single strand, yet. What's curious is the ends are gradually getting thicker with the occasional trims.

I don't have all that many splits at the tippy tips, but I do get plenty of them throughout. If one sticks out glaringly, I'll snip it off, but for me S&D caused more splits than cured, even with good scissors. I suppose that just means my hair requires moisture and slip over anything else. I don't like detangling it so I'm always careful to not let it get tangled (up, protected, etc), and routine detangling is just running a brush through the length a few times to pull out any fallout and to scratch my scalp.

I suppose if I were to add up all the trims I've done over the past 15 years, my hair would be about 3 feet longer, but I don't think of it in those terms. The net result is what I have managed to keep, and that is an astounding amount. :cool:

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 08:43 AM
The desire is ancestral!

Yeah, probably. ;) :D

JadedByEntropy
April 16th, 2015, 06:43 PM
My hair has been to the floor now (72" from my hairline) for about 2 years or so. In the past two years I have cut 6-8 inches twice, so without trims, I suppose my hair could be 14-16 inches longer, but truthfully, those ends had to go each time they went. There wasn't much there. I've had a few stalls over the years, but suspect that had more to do with breakage equaling growth, and so with a couple good trims, the breakage stopped and my hair began making visible progress again. MSM helped some as did Biotin, but I haven't taken either of those in years (the biotin did help bump-start a stall once). I can't even say for sure if MSM helped prolong my growth cycle, now! My hair *wants* to get longer!

I'm not exactly out to see what my terminal length is, but I started out that way. Here we are many years later, my hair still continues to grow around 9+ inches a year, and is reasonably thick at the ends. It tapers, sure, but not down to a single strand, yet. What's curious is the ends are gradually getting thicker with the occasional trims.

I don't have all that many splits at the tippy tips, but I do get plenty of them throughout. If one sticks out glaringly, I'll snip it off, but for me S&D caused more splits than cured, even with good scissors. I suppose that just means my hair requires moisture and slip over anything else. I don't like detangling it so I'm always careful to not let it get tangled (up, protected, etc), and routine detangling is just running a brush through the length a few times to pull out any fallout and to scratch my scalp.

I suppose if I were to add up all the trims I've done over the past 15 years, my hair would be about 3 feet longer, but I don't think of it in those terms. The net result is what I have managed to keep, and that is an astounding amount. :cool:

That's amazing.. I imagine when you hit floor a lot more damage is natural. The thickness thing is odd to me, maybe its just getting a preferred diet in general in the last 5 years to thicken it up, or your thick section has come back. 9x7=63 so you're growth cycle must be longer than 7 years too! With all this put together you have a chance at becoming a super-super-impossibly long hair! :thud:

gthlvrmx
April 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Wow, I just read my first comment on this thread and I saw how my goals have changed except for the golden goal of reaching terminal length. I used to want to get to classic and then maintain there to thicken up my ends, but now I really do not care about my thickness. I just want length. I guess you appreciate length more after you go bald. :) Who here has reached terminal? What length are you at now compared to your body markers? (like BSL, knee length, classic, etc.)

nicolezoie
April 16th, 2015, 07:11 PM
The damage was worse when my hair was much shorter, mostly because my hair is very brittle, and broke much more often when I wore my hair loose all the time. Most of the damage I have now is at about the length where my arms run out in my brush strokes. My detangling method involves switching between pulling down from the roots then pushing down to the ends. It's hard to explain, but detangling from the bottom up like everyone recommends is kind of difficult. At the point where my arms run out I wrap my hair around my fist so I can push the tangles the rest of the way down without pulling strands out of my scalp. But now, I'm at that point where I have to adjust my technique again, otherwise that damage spot is going to expand (split ends and breakage rub against otherwise healthy strands and cause weak spots, at least for me) and the breakage will begin to overtake growth again.

Chromis
April 17th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I don't like brushing from the bottom either. I detangle with a wide comb and pause the moment I run into resistance. Then I run my fingers down and smooth the hair to the bottom checking for loose hairs. Often there is a little web of them right near the bottom that just falls right out and then I can finish combing. Otherwise I finger detangle first. I just use the boar bristle brush on my scalp mainly, it always seems to take out so much hair from the canopy no matter how well I detangle! I only brush the length after I oil (once or twice a week, after washing it)

I wrap my hair around my neck when I want to reach the bottom, especially for braiding.

ravenheather
April 17th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I can't wait until I have to figure out how to braid or comb longer than I can reach.

Squirrelspring
April 17th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Can I join this thread? I think terminal is my goal. I've never really had it longer than about mid back, it was usually the tangles that kept it shorter. But I'm going for terminal now with hopefully no trims. I have no idea where it will be but judging from my hair the way it is and how it grows, stays thick etc. I think it will be pretty long. Hopefully past floor because it would be fun to shock people with that length. Luckily my hair doesn't seem to have damage or splits, because I haven't been able to find a split for more than a year or something. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because my hair is so short right now.

On a side note, how many people on this thread have hair above bsl? How many do have terminal length hair? Where do you think terminal is and how long do you think it will take to get there?

Nicolezoie, that's amazing that your hair is so long. Congratulations.

Good luck to everybody in reaching your goals.:toast:

:cheese: a cheese for good measure. I decided to mix up the font. :)

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Can I join this thread? I think terminal is my goal. I've never really had it longer than about mid back, it was usually the tangles that kept it shorter. But I'm going for terminal now with hopefully no trims. I have no idea where it will be but judging from my hair the way it is and how it grows, stays thick etc. I think it will be pretty long. Hopefully past floor because it would be fun to shock people with that length. Luckily my hair doesn't seem to have damage or splits, because I haven't been able to find a split for more than a year or something. I guess I'm lucky, or maybe it's just because my hair is so short right now.

On a side note, how many people on this thread have hair above bsl? How many do have terminal length hair? Where do you think terminal is and how long do you think it will take to get there?

Nicolezoie, that's amazing that your hair is so long. Congratulations.

Good luck to everybody in reaching your goals.:toast:

:cheese: a cheese for good measure. I decided to mix up the font. :)

Of course you can join! Welcome! My hair is above BSL but I am growing it out until it doesn't grow anymore.
Terminal length (or terminal "time") varies from person to person. I think most people can grow to at least classic, when they stretch their hair. Every hair on your head has it's own time when it falls off, some fall off when they are 2 inches long and others don't fall off until they have grown 3 feet long! If your hair grows fast, you might be able to reach longer lengths and still keep growing before the hairs start falling out.

AmberJewel
April 18th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Well, I was going to wait to join this thread until my hair had gotten a little longer, but what the heck? I have no idea where terminal length is on me but I hope it's past classic. Fingertip is my ultimate goal if I can get there. Who knows? Maybe once I'm there I'll be comfortable with growing even longer! LHC-itis. :)

gthlvrmx
April 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Well, I was going to wait to join this thread until my hair had gotten a little longer, but what the heck? I have no idea where terminal length is on me but I hope it's past classic. Fingertip is my ultimate goal if I can get there. Who knows? Maybe once I'm there I'll be comfortable with growing longer! LHC-itis. :)

Welcome! You are so close to classic already if you are at BCL! LHC has a way of making people change their goals...usually for the longer lengths.

RavennaNight
April 19th, 2015, 05:22 AM
I think I can say I'm growing to terminal. I don't think terminal is far from where I am now, tailbone. So it's reasonable to say I won't change my mind, unless my hair starts suddenly growing uncontrollably. I think it has grown a bit in the last two months, but let's see. I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere past classic, or even classic. We shall see. Still not cutting.

Silverbrumby
April 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I'm going for terminal and have been on the boards for three years here. I'm back at BSL but when I braid it's down to 40 hairs or so for the last two to three inches of my braid. It is finally getting thicker on top and travelling down the braid a bid since I started dermal rolling three to four times a week.

My shedding was over 100+ for six years. Now with the rolling it's around 50+ a day shed.

I'm hoping for a terminal of waist.

Of course you can join! Welcome! My hair is above BSL but I am growing it out until it doesn't grow anymore.
Terminal length (or terminal "time") varies from person to person. I think most people can grow to at least classic, when they stretch their hair. Every hair on your head has it's own time when it falls off, some fall off when they are 2 inches long and others don't fall off until they have grown 3 feet long! If your hair grows fast, you might be able to reach longer lengths and still keep growing before the hairs start falling out.

AmberJewel
April 19th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much, gthlvrmx. I love how encouraging people are on this forum. It's one of the things that has kept me hanging around.

gthlvrmx
April 23rd, 2015, 10:20 PM
I'm going for terminal and have been on the boards for three years here. I'm back at BSL but when I braid it's down to 40 hairs or so for the last two to three inches of my braid. It is finally getting thicker on top and travelling down the braid a bid since I started dermal rolling three to four times a week.

My shedding was over 100+ for six years. Now with the rolling it's around 50+ a day shed.

I'm hoping for a terminal of waist.
What is dermal rolling? I have never heard of it. 50 hairs is so little! You never know, maybe your terminal is at knee :)

Thanks so much, gthlvrmx. I love how encouraging people are on this forum. It's one of the things that has kept me hanging around.

Of course! I love that too, it's so nice on here! It's one of my favorite websites.

I have a question(s) for anyone that can answer this. When you have reached full on terminal, is there a need to trim your hair? Or can you just stay at terminal and leave it at that with no cuts or trims ever again? Will splits ever be a problem again once you reach terminal? I'm assuming that at terminal, you can just S&D and that's all you'll need for your hair concerning the scissors.

Silverbrumby
April 24th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks but knee isn't possible for me. Not in the genes. Waist would be awesome!

If you google dermal roller and hair loss it will come up. Its used also on the face to increase collagen production.

eva888
April 27th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Hi everyone! I'm joining this thread. Though like many have said before, a slightly modified version of terminal, since I'd like to have at least some kind of hemline. Maybe TBL? Classic? I'm hoping I can get there before I turn 30.

trolleypup
April 27th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I have a question(s) for anyone that can answer this. When you have reached full on terminal, is there a need to trim your hair? Or can you just stay at terminal and leave it at that with no cuts or trims ever again? Will splits ever be a problem again once you reach terminal? I'm assuming that at terminal, you can just S&D and that's all you'll need for your hair concerning the scissors.
If you reach full terminal, your ends will be in a steady state of fairytaledness. You may or may not choose to trim to shape it (some people end with half a dozen ends that are always much longer, for example others have a less pointy terminal shape). If you trim or cut it, it will grow back to that shape at the rate your hair grows.

Expect splits and damage at your tips to be as present as they are in any hair at extreme lengths. For example, my tips are about 8 years old and are visibly thinner than hairs at my scalp...just from accumulated wear and damage...of course, fragile and prone to splits, white dots, and internal cracks. For me, yes, S&D is all I do with scissors.

aurorae
April 27th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I hope to grow mine as long as terminal too.just hope i can get to atleast waist with it.(or classic).its still a long time coming as i have to conquer this BSL hurdle first.*sigh*.

hanne jensen
April 28th, 2015, 03:41 AM
I'm still here, slowly creeping downward. After a lot of hemming and hawing, Hubby finally told me that he loves hair to the floor! Hopefully I'll be able to achieve this. I've determined that my canopy hairs are over 10 years old. Being of average height and having a growth rate of 20 cm a year, I should be able to reach at least ankle. Of course, I'll be a little old lady by then...