PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil makes me itch. What gives?

Helix
March 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I'd stopped using coconut oil on it's own because it used to break me out and make me itch. I like the shine and the feel it imparts so I started blending it with other oils and that seemed to help some. Then yesterday I got this bright idea to give coconut oil on its own another shot and lo and behold my scalp began itching like crazy.

I'm going to DC, clarify and condition tonight and hopefully that will stop the itchies, (if you have any other suggestions please do tell).

I can't be allergic to it, can I? I don't have any problems using coconut milk in my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Beckstar
March 18th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Are you using too much? Or maybe you have other products on too? I know my scalp itches if I use too much coconut oil and leave it for too long. I do better to use very little on the roots and more on the length. Maybe a brown sugar scrub would help or AVC rinse?

RapunzelKat
March 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yikes! I'm sorry, that's no fun :( I think you can be allergic to it - people can be allergic to pretty much anything from what I know... Maybe it has something different in it from the coconut milk, I know they're not exactly the same thing. I have developed allergies to conventional products in the past - they can just suddenly develop :( Definitely I would avoid using it if it bothers your skin! Maybe EVOO or another oil could give you the shine you're looking for?

Also, I would suggest aloe for the itchies :) It's very soothing. Cortisone cream is also good for really bad itching, but I'm not sure if putting it on your scalp where it could come in contact with your hair would be ok.

Sillage
March 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I can't be allergic to it, can I? I don't have any problems using coconut milk in my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before?

You must be allergic to something in it if you're getting itchy skin. :(Coconut oil breaks me out if I use it as a leave in but strangely I can use it as a pre shampoo heavy oil treatment with no problems.

I hope you feel better after you wash it out. Having an itchy scalp is no fun. :(

Unicorn
March 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I use it for overnight oiling, if I leave it in for too longIt itches like crazy. I.e. if I wash the next morning, no problem. If I leave it until the evening... really not good, I'm scratching the whole time.

Unicorn

spidermom
March 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
My daughter is allergic to all things coconut. It makes her feel like she's been burned.
I don't know why you would react to the oil and not the milk, though.

ladyshep
March 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Maybe allergies. IDK.

I know that I am allergic to coconuts and it is an allergen to some folks.

Helix
March 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Are you using too much? Or maybe you have other products on too? I know my scalp itches if I use too much coconut oil and leave it for too long. I do better to use very little on the roots and more on the length. Maybe a brown sugar scrub would help or AVC rinse?

Thank you for the suggestions! My scalp feels a little tender so the ACV rinse seems like the gentler route.

I can be a little heavy handed. My hair absorbs like a sponge so sometimes I can't always tell when I've applied enough/too much.

I did apply the majority of it to my length and just massaged in what little was left on my hands on my scalp that's what makes me think I might have a sensitivity to it...

HappyHair87
March 18th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Aww Helix that sucks!

I would just pop a Benadryl. Anytime i have an allergic reaction to something...like cats, season changes, etc...i pop a Benadryl. It makes everything better....it also knocks me out:laugh:...but the allergic reaction goes away.

Helix
March 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Yikes! I'm sorry, that's no fun :( I think you can be allergic to it - people can be allergic to pretty much anything from what I know... Maybe it has something different in it from the coconut milk, I know they're not exactly the same thing. I have developed allergies to conventional products in the past - they can just suddenly develop :( Definitely I would avoid using it if it bothers your skin! Maybe EVOO or another oil could give you the shine you're looking for?

Also, I would suggest aloe for the itchies :) It's very soothing. Cortisone cream is also good for really bad itching, but I'm not sure if putting it on your scalp where it could come in contact with your hair would be ok.

Thanks! I think I will avoid it for a while. I've never itched like this before and I'm not looking for a repeat.

I've got some Aussie moist on my head right now. It has aloe in it and I think it's helping. The cooling effect is offsetting the itch some...

midsummernight
March 18th, 2012, 07:00 PM
There is a note on my nutiva coconut oil that says it might contain some brown specks that are natural coconut fibers. Maybe that's what is causing the itchiness.

Helix
March 18th, 2012, 07:18 PM
@Unicorn: Thanks for your response. The itching started within minutes of application to my scalp and then intensified several minutes after that so I can at least rule out length of time...[/QUOTE]

@spidermom: burning is the word. Like being bitten by fire ants or something. Ugh! The last time I used coconut milk in my hair was some months ago...wonder if I'd have the same reaction if I tried it now though I'm not ready to try it to find out.

@HappyHair87: Wish I had a benadryl. Up until now I thought I wasn't allergic/sensitive to anything. In hindsight it would be a good idea to keep it handy.

If there is anyone I didn't reply to directly, thank you and thank you again.

The good news is my scalp feels cooler with conditioner on it. Still slightly itchy and tender though...here's hoping I still have hair on my head after this.

constancev18
March 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Glad you identified the problem quickly, Helix. Every time dh would break out along his back I would slather on more coconut oil..it took me 5 mos to discover the coconut oil was problem. Agh!

turtlelover
March 18th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Any kind of oil overload makes my head itch. I think it has something to do w/ clogged pores/follicles. A good wash w/ a tea tree oil shampoo usually helps.

Helix
March 19th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just poppin in to say my scalp feels a lot better after clarifying. Thank you all for the suggestions!

@constancev18: I've made the same mistake in the past thinking CO would be okay to use since it has antibacterial properties but for some reason it breaks me out. That should have been the my first clue that it didn't agree with me...

@turtlelover: Maybe I did overdo it with the oiling. After this experience, I don't think I will be oiling my scalp for a looong time.

Barnet Girl
September 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I found the same - I can use it on my lengths but if I get it near my scalp it itches like crazy. I think this would be the case for sensitive scalps - for me it's not an allergy as I can eat it and use it on my skin. Just the scalp hates it! At least you can still get the benefit on your lengths!