PDA

View Full Version : How much oil do guys use for your hair

redsoles
March 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
What's your hair type? How much oil do you use or do you find appropriate for your hair? What do you use it for?

I'm curious to know, how much oil should I be using for my hair?

Sillage
March 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
For a pre shampoo oiling I use a lot-- basically my hair is swimming in oil. I normally use coconut oil and use at least a 3 or 4 big dollops. When I use oil as a leave in I'm much lighter. Depending on weather or not I'm using an additional leave in or just using oil alone, I can use anywhere from a few drops to half an almond sized amount of shea butter or maybe 10 drops of oil. I think I use more thank most people because my hair has a tendency to soak up certain oils and butters like shea.

spidermom
March 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment. I wait until the hair at my scalp is oily with natural sebum, then I melt coconut oil between my hands and apply to my hair, especially the canopy and the ends. I never measure it, but I would guess I use about 1 tablespoon. I apply it, braid my hair, then wash it an hour later to the next day.

Copasetic
March 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
It depends. Sometimes I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner. In this case I use quite a bit. I don't measure, but it's enough that my hair looks really oily. But if I am using it as a leave-in, I only use a small amount. Enough to leave my hands shiny.

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I use argon oil coconut and sweet almond and brazilian nut oil. I use .25 of an ounce mixed in with water 11ounce bottle. I mist on daily.

Othala
March 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM
The day before I wash my hair I do an overnight oiling with about one tablespoon of Coconut oil.
I wash my hair and let it dry and then apply about quarter teaspoon of Coconut oil on the lower lengths and the same amount a little further up the length every day until it is the time to do the overnight oiling again at the end of the week.

I have no issues with having oiled hair all day everyday because of my lifestyle (I work from home) and I guess ethnicity (oiled hair on an Indian woman is not unexpected even if she is in dungarees).

Now if I were working in the corporate world, I would not have oil in my hair at all during the working week and just do it as the overnight treatment on a Saturday night.

pepperminttea
March 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I use 2-4 drops of a light oil post-wash; my hair doesn't look oily after that, it just helps with shine and slip. :) Pre-wash, I use a lot more and a heavier oil (normally coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil), no set amount, just until I feel like my hair's got enough. Sorry, I know that's not helpful, but I definitely err to the generous side of things. :D

Amber_Maiden
March 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have very thick hair. I use about a tablespoon every day on my hair.

Floryda
March 18th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Like everybody above, I pretty much make sure my hair is evenly soaked (more on ends, less on top) with whatever oil I'm using as a treatment (usually olive or coconut). Nothing specific. Some times my hair needs less, so it gets saturated sooner, and vice versa. Experiment with yours :)
I also don't use oil as anything other than a pre-wash leave in, so that may change how much is used.

Bunnysaur
March 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I poured some olive, avocado and neem oils into my shampoo and conditioner, and I use a few drops of argan on my towel dried hair. I don't do anything as a pre-wash, or any major oil treatments, so that's the extent of my oiling.

Beckstar
March 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup prewash. I saturate my hair and use a plastic cap and satin bonnet and wear that overnight. I cowash the next day and do a braided bun and I will shampoo the day after that.

Rosethorn
March 18th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'll do 2-3 drops of Triple Moon Oil or just enough coconut oil to make a couple of fingertips shiny on the ends and length on a non wash day. On a wash day, I put in a lot of oil and/or shea butter and let it soak a few hours.

Johanna
March 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I use a couple of drops of jojoba oil in my tassel and then run my hand along the length of my braid to get the rest of the residue off my hands. I probably do it once every 4 days or so, so i don't over oil it and make it go stringy.

sfgirl
March 19th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I don't really use oil as a deep treatment, as it's impossible to get out of my hair, and the damage from washing I think outweighs the benefits. I more of use a fingernail worth of coconut oil as a daily thing.

melusine963
March 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I use two little fingernail scrapings on the front of my hair (my problem areas) right after I've washed my hair, and then 2-3 days later I use a slightly larger amount on the bottom half of my hair.

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
None! I tried oils and it was a disaster on my hair.

ktani
March 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Between catnip treatments http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118, I use less than 3 small drops of mineral oil/baby oil http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298, on my mostly fine/medium passed waist (pull down) hair, just after washing, no conditioner or anything else used, and none is needed again until I wash my hair again, about 1 week later, and do another catnip treatment instead. The oil leaves my hair completely: tangle, sticky, heavy, stringy, and static, free ETA: and washes out completely with 1 only shampoo in the same amount I normally use. My shampoo is not a clarifying one.

Anje
March 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I use 2-5 drops or the equivalent of coconut, olive, or sesame oil after a wash, on my still-damp hair, before I comb it out. (Which depends largely on what I've got out and my mood.) It adds a little lubrication and keeps the hair happier. If I've shampooed, my hair tends to frizz and I might find I need to add a few drops more once my hair has dried fully to calm it down. Sometimes I'll add more over the course of the week following my wash, if all the oil has absorbed and the ends are looking a little dry again.

I personally prefer not to oil heavily because it's easy for it to make my hair look stringy, and I haven't gotten outstanding results from pre-wash oilings.

pink.sara
March 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM
As a leave in on days I wear it down I'll melt and smooth on a teaspoon or so of coconut oil just for shine and detangling.
As a treatment I use about 4-5 spoonfulls maybe more and bun it for the day then add a bit more to the roots when I get home for an hour.

My hairs quite thick though and because it's black doesn't really show if I have a ton of oil on in a bun, plus it makes my office smell yummy ;)

Pinkster8
March 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
When I oil all my hair, I go a little crazy and all but saturate my hair. When I just do my ends, however, I divide my hair in half and do two drops of mineral oil on each side on about the bottom 2 inches of hair.

white.chocolate
March 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I use oil after a wash, and then every other day for the length. For my length, I apply 3 drops of any oil that I've tried so far (coconut, jojoba, avocado, etc.). I used to apply only 1 drop before, but I found that 3 drops works best. EVOO is the only oil I couldn't stand because it is just too heavy. I don't deep-condition.