PDA

View Full Version : Any one use "Wen"?

Irishred
March 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Watching goofy TV today, I saw an add for 'Wen' haircare products. Was just wondering if anyone here had used it and what your results were? Are you still using it? Pros... cons... other input?

rock007junkie
March 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I bought it and only used it once. At the time I had started the CG method which basically calls for cutting out all silicones. As soon as I used it my hair felt coated (It has either dimethicone or amodimethicone...can't remember). To be fair though, I don't think I gave it a good chance. I only used it that once.

misspurdy06
March 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Aside for some extra oils its the same as super market conditioner.

It's just conditioner cleansing.

Suave naturals is cheaper. I like their everlasting sunshine.

cwarren
March 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I got the wen pomegranate shampoo conditioner as a gift for Christmas. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. Smelled too much like menthol for my taste. I thought about trying the other scents, but the price tag sent me in the other direction. Its not worth the $$$

iSuperHeroic
March 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I use it after I swim. Because the chlorine dries out my hair so bad(and I swim 3 days a week).

I can ONLY use it after I swim because my hair is very thin and fine and Wen weighs it down and makes it look greasy. And even if I use it after I swim it still looks pretty greasy.

I don't think it's a bad product, it just isn't very compatible with my hair.

Sillage
March 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I hear it's way overpriced and not worth it at all.

Ocelan
March 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I tried it a few years back. I wanted to get the one with the least smell since I'm hypersensitive, so I got the aloe and cucumber one. I used it for about a week or 2 and noticed it really wasn't for me smellwise and also because my hair got so awfully coated and greasy from it, especially on top of my head. My hair felt like plastic. I used it the way they described in the instructions but maybe it wasn't the right way for me after all.
Now that I'm about to move, I finally found the bottle from somewhere in the back of the bathroom closet and threw it out. :D

redsoles
March 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Heard unfavorable reviews about Wen.

Kelikea
March 18th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Here's an ingredient likst for the Sweet Almond, straight off their website:
WEN® Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

Key Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat, Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum, Limonene.

It does contain a cone, amodimethicone.
I wouldn't pay the price for it when there are great cleansing conditioners available for $5 and less.

PixxieStix
March 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
One of my good friends used it for a few months, and has told me it wasn't all that great. She wanted it to be everything they promised so she kept using it, but in the end she said between lack of performance and the price, she was going to switch to something else.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Only thing i know is that Alyssa Milano (Phoebe from Charmed) did a comercial for it, and that she suposedly uses it.

DragonFlyPie
March 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I've used it (maybe 8 bottles total), actually loved it (love the herbal/medicinal smells!) & I would use it all the time, but I HATE the price & for the price alone, i wouldn't buy it anymore. I would dilute mine at least 50% with water to help extend the product (you have to add water to your head anyway when using it.)
If someone sent me a case of it for free, I'd be using it exclusively. LOL But realistically, I cannot justify spending such outrageous amounts on conditioner.

However, I get just as amazing results CO-washing using Suave Rosemary & Mint, Suave Professional Volumizing, or White Rain Apple Blossom Conditioners. Yes, they have cones, but my hair does beautifully with cones. I've never ever had an issue with build up or drying out (I do shampoo once every couple of weeks.) I rotate those cone conditioners with VO5 conditioners - that have no cones - but VO5 usually don't leave my hair feeling quite as nice as I'd like. :)

Hairitic
March 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Wow, I'm surprized that so many of you didn't ike WEN :eek:. I've been using WEN Cleansing Conditioners almost exclusively for more than 5 years :). Since joining LHC, I've tried several other products/techniques recommended by other members but keep going back to WEN products :p. Nothing else leaves my hair as smooth and as easily detangled ;). My hair is also moisturized, shiny and SPLIT END-FREE :D! It's true. I only do dustings or light trims 2 times a year and yet I have almost NO split ends and very little breakage despite having somewhat fine hair. I'm sticking with my WEN, any fragrance!

HappyHair87
March 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Sally's actually sells the knock off version of it for around $10...it's called Hair One. Now at THAT price...i don't mind using it...i like the argan one for curly hair...i love how it smells and i love the tingly feeling i get on my scalp.

I can use it everyday...but by the end of the week i would do a shampoo wash to get rid of any buildup.

Grillz
March 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I use it too for CO washing and as a leave-in. I love it. I think I've tried just about every scent (My mom is hooked. She buys me a bottle or 2 for holidays or birthdays since I'm too cheap to get it myself and she knows I love it). I stop using it when I want to try other washing methods that I read about on here, but like hairitic, I always go back to my Wen. My hair is in great shape too. I can't remember the last time I saw a split end. Wen is actually the reason I started stretching washes before LHC because of the price lol.

I haven't tried Sally's version yet, but that's on my list!

holothuroidea
March 18th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I feel like there are similar conditioners that will do the same thing for much less money. I dislike how they act like they invented CO washing and for some reason they are the only ones that can make a good enough conditioner to wash with.

I remember watching QVC during late nights, walking the halls with DH when our baby was small, making fun of Chaz Dean for being such a creeper. QVC (also HSN) is the best thing to watch when you are in sleep-deprived delirium and everything is funny.

Copasetic
March 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I've never tried it, but I would say a definite con is the price. It's pretty expensive. If you really want to try it, Sally Beauty Supply makes a knock of version for less than half the price.

Annibelle
March 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I think Luxepiggy uses it, but I'm not too sure. :)

Hairitic
March 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'll have to try out the Sally version and see how it compares to WEN products. You can make fun of Chaz Dean all you want :confused: but he formulated a GREAT product that works beautifully for multitudes of people :). I will continue to pay for it and use it if it is the only product that does such a fantastic job for me. I've tried numerous products and methods of cleaning my hair and none has worked nearly as well as WEN Cleansing Conditioners. Yes, I've even tried a few of the highly touted conditioners for CO :(. None of them left my hair smooth, moisturized, in great condition and still clean like WEN products do. I'm all up for saving $ so I'll definately try out the Sally version and hope for the best ;)

holothuroidea
March 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'll have to try out the Sally version and see how it compares to WEN products. You can make fun of Chaz Dean all you want :confused: but he formulated a GREAT product that works beautifully for multitudes of people :). I will continue to pay for it and use it if it is the only product that does such a fantastic job for me. I've tried numerous products and methods of cleaning my hair and none has worked nearly as well as WEN Cleansing Conditioners. Yes, I've even tried a few of the highly touted conditioners for CO :(. None of them left my hair smooth, moisturized, in great condition and still clean like WEN products do. I'm all up for saving $ so I'll definately try out the Sally version and hope for the best ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I was just sharing a happy Wen-related memory.

I'm not knocking the product, I've never tried it, and it does apparently work for a lot of people. I just think that the advertising isn't exactly fair because they've monopolized a previously non-existent conditioner washing niche. Now, though, I am starting to see more conditioners marketed as "cleansing," which is a boon for long hair. :)

Grillz
March 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM
It certainly seems like all the ads on my LHC are about Wen after posting here lol.

sherigayle
March 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I've been using it for a few months and I really like it. My hair is amazingly soft. Usually my hair is very dry and frizzy in the winter and it's been great this winter. I'm curious to see how it is over the summer. I don't mind the expense because I save money by not using a lot of other products and cutting my hair my self.

heidi w.
March 20th, 2012, 10:53 AM
My frien does who is a super curly (as in crazy curly) hair, and her hair is a whole lot better. It's very soft, less frizzy. She says it doesn't foam as much as regular shampoo. I told her sulfates on curly hair can contribute to frizz problems. She's been doing a lot better with caring for her hair since I showed her a few things regarding how to care better for her hair type. She bought a boatload of Wen shampoo to have on hand. She swears it's terrific.

heidi w.

DragonFlyPie
March 20th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I've used four of the Hair One cleansing conditioners in my quest to find a super cheap Wen knock-off, before settling on regular cheapo conditioners and I did not like any of the Hair One's. I used the Olive Oil, Tea Tree, Argan Oil & Jojoba Oil versions. The fragrances were pretty yucky to me. They all left my hair feeling very rough, scratchy & extremely tangly/knotted. I wanted to like them & tried using them for several weeks, but they were all very disappointing for my hair.

But as we all know - what works for one person won't work for another, so I'm sure there are plenty of people who can get great results with Hair One. Unfortunately, I could not.

I'd still recommend Suave, VO5, & White Rain conditioners for the best bang for your buck =) Why spend $12-$30+ per bottle for "cleansing" conditioners, when a $1 bottle of cheapo conditioner will clean your hair just as well (based on my experience.)

Talula
March 20th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I complimented a woman's hair recently at my gym, saying how healthy it looked, and she said "I'm a Wen girl!" So apparently it works well for some! We got talking hair, she apparently had hair issues before Wen, including thinning. I told her about CO washing w/ the cheap conditioners as a substitute, she was interested. But I was impressed with her Wen results. Especially since I mostly wash my hair w/ CO & cheap conditioners, & I still get frizz halos all the time no matter what I do. Unless my hair is greasy, that makes them stay down ok, but then I can't where my hair down. Sigh.