PDA

View Full Version : Hair oiling and ethnic hair products

CurlySasha
March 18th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hi everyone!
So, I have two questions for you. First, I recently purchased a solid coconut oil, and I'm not exactly certain how to use it. Do I use on wet hair? Try hair? Please clear that up for me :)
Also, my hair is 3a and extremely dry and frizzy. I was wondering whether using products for African-American hair would work?

ktani
March 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hi everyone!
I was wondering whether using products for African-American hair would work?

Products For African-American hair often contain petrolatum and lanolin, which are heavy, waxy and sticky.

You can use light mineral oil on its own though, which can moisturize your hair better than vegetable oils or butters, while not leaving your hair heavy, sticky, stringy or frizzy and it is antistatic too, and used in a small amount, washes out completely with no residue, even with a non sulfate shampoo in one wash or with conditioner only, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

It has come to be known here in short form as MO.

Dorothy
March 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I like to do a coconut soak the day before a wash - I put a lot of coconut oil on dry hair, braid it on top of my head, sleep on it, and wash in the morning. It's the conditioner that actually seems to remove it after a wash. You can also put a little on your hands and run it over dry ends. It is possible that you'll find the coconut so effective you won't be looking for other options, but everyone's hair is different.

CurlySasha
March 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Ah, so I guess my idea of ethnic products wasn't a good one, thanks for clearing that up :)
I'm really hoping I'll love coconut oil as much as others seem to!

ktani
March 18th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Ah, so I guess my idea of ethnic products wasn't a good one, thanks for clearing that up :)
I'm really hoping I'll love coconut oil as much as others seem to!

Try it first since you have it and see. I never cared for it as an oiling oil. Others love it.

You need very little for that. You can scrape some off the top, melt it in your hands, and apply it to your length and ends. The secret is not to use too much.

CurlySasha
March 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Great, thanks. I actually just applied some in my hair and leaving there for an hour or so, then I'll see if I love it!

ktani
March 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Great, thanks. I actually just applied some in my hair and leaving there for an hour or so, then I'll see if I love it!

You are very welcome and good luck!

sonrisa76
March 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM
i second what Dorothy said, everyone's hair is different..for me, it's bee a lot of trial and error..my hair does not like any type of ethnic products because of the mineral oil and petroleum..i use olive oil, coconut oil and a variety of indian oils which seems to work best for my hair type :) i wish you much luck on your adventure of finding a product that works well for your hair :)

Anywhere
March 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I have a bunch of ethnic products my mom tried. They don't work on my hair, so I use them as a lotion. :shrug:

My hair gets crunchy with coconut oil, but my hair actually really likes mineral oil, the same as - if not more than - EVOO. I don't really like the smell (since I use baby oil) but I find that it doesn't smell for long. On my skin though, it can smell until my next wash.

So I second Ktani's suggestion of trying out mineral oil.

Kinkycurlygurl
March 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone!
So, I have two questions for you. First, I recently purchased a solid coconut oil, and I'm not exactly certain how to use it. Do I use on wet hair? Try hair? Please clear that up for me :)
Also, my hair is 3a and extremely dry and frizzy. I was wondering whether using products for African-American hair would work?

I didn't like coconut oil at first. Once I started spritzing my hair with water then putting on a drop or two of coconut oil I really got into it. For me, a tiny bit of coconut oil on each section of my hair combined with water really moisturizes my hair particularly the ends that can get really dry.

CurlySasha
March 18th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied, and Kinkycurlygirl, I'm definitely going to try that technique!

Scarlet_Heart
March 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I find that hair type doesn't figure into what types of oils you use. It's truly just trial and error.

To answer your question regarding the coconut oil, people use it as both a pre-wash and post-wash treatment. Either way, if it is in it's solid state, just dig out a small clump at a time with a teaspoon, and then all it takes to melt it is to rub it in your palms for a few seconds. It melts really easily.

Aveyronnaise
March 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I find that hair type doesn't figure into what types of oils you use. It's truly just trial and error.

To answer your question regarding the coconut oil, people use it as both a pre-wash and post-wash treatment. Either way, if it is in it's solid state, just dig out a small clump at a time with a teaspoon, and then all it takes to melt it is to rub it in your palms for a few seconds. It melts really easily.

I find this to be really true my BFF has 3b 3c hair and our hair has responded the same way to most stuff . I don't know my hair is so weird though it acts a lot like curly hair <shrugs> .
I had really good results from putting the coconut oil sparingly on damp after washed hair it makes the ends all buttery.
Good Luck.

Scarlet_Heart
March 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I find this to be really true my BFF has 3b 3c hair and our hair has responded the same way to most stuff . I don't know my hair is so weird though it acts a lot like curly hair <shrugs> .
I had really good results from putting the coconut oil sparingly on damp after washed hair it makes the ends all buttery.
Good Luck.

I'm with you 100% on this one. I much prefer to work a few drops of oil in my hair when it's wet (after a wash) and leave it there than really grease it up hours before a shower and have to wash it out. But pre-wash isn't wrong or anything. It's just a matter of what you prefer.

Scarlet_Heart
March 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Good Luck.

I'm with you 100% on this one. I much prefer to work a few drops of oil in my hair when it's wet (after a wash) and leave it there than to really grease it up hours before a shower and have to wash it out. But pre-wash isn't wrong or anything. It's just a matter of what you prefer.