PDA

View Full Version : I need some "clarification" please...

JessTheMess
July 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hi everybody!

I have finally kicked the cones to the curb...:boxer:

I have noticed that my hair hs a little bit of build up in it.
Is there a thread that explains how to get rid of all of the build-up, or a list of how to clarify. I am horrible at searching the threads apparantly. Thank you all for your help!

justgreen
July 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Here's search (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?searchid=383198)page of clarifying.

lora410
July 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
You could clarify with some baking soda mixed with poo (my personal preference) or use a clarifying shampoo a few washes in a row.Make sure after any of these you follow up with a heavy oiling or deep treatment.

JessTheMess
July 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you for your help! My DF told me dish soap, but I thought that could be extra drying... I'll try the baking soda with poo :)

lora410
July 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you for your help! My DF told me dish soap, but I thought that could be extra drying... I'll try the baking soda with poo :)

I don't think id reccomend dish soap..LOL aveda also has a shampoo that is very strong and strips out chlorine etc. For the life of me I don't recall the name of it but an aveda salon will know exactly what your talking about. I own a bottle, but always for get to use it.

missmanytoes
July 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
The baking soda and poo thing works great EXCEPT for when your 'poo has ALS. The first time I mixed baking soda with an ALS 'poo I nearly panicked because of the smell (ammonia - peeeyew!!!)

chloeishere
July 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
The baking soda and poo thing works great EXCEPT for when your 'poo has ALS. The first time I mixed baking soda with an ALS 'poo I nearly panicked because of the smell (ammonia - peeeyew!!!)

Yes, I second this! Baking soda mixed with shampoo works great as a clarifier for me, but please check the ingredients list first, you don't want ALS or ALeS (Ammonium Lauryl or Laureth Sulphate) as they will react with the baking soda. I don't know for sure that it's bad for hair, but I don't think ammonia on hair is a good thing, either.

This is personal experience speaking-- I tried it once, and the strong smell of ammonia didn't come out until most of my hair was lathered up with the stuff-- I had to rinse as fast as I could, for fear of damage! I didn't notice anything untoward afterwards, though.

I generally mix my baking soda with Ion Moisturizing Shampoo, which is sulfate free, and it still works very well for me. :flower:

ChloeDharma
July 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
There's also a citric acid rinse that's apparently quite good. I never got around to clarifying when i gave up cones, but i didn't seem to have much build-up.
One thing i would suggest, given BS is alkaline is maybe finish up with a vinegar rinse and a good DT? I'd recommend something with yogurt....its acidic but also makes an amazing DT.

LaCitoyenne
July 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I don't think id reccomend dish soap..LOL aveda also has a shampoo that is very strong and strips out chlorine etc. For the life of me I don't recall the name of it but an aveda salon will know exactly what your talking about. I own a bottle, but always for get to use it.

I believe that shampoo is Aveda Detoxifier. It got some good reviews at Makeupalley.com.

Nizhoni
July 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
A shampoo containing sulphates but no cones or mineral oil will clarify your hair and scalp from build-up. Be sure to really massage every bit of the scalp and make sure the hair gets really cleansed as well, lather-rinse-repeat-repeat. Don't forget the conditioner after this harsh treatment. :)