PDA

View Full Version : What was your length when you got your first hairstick?

kittengirl
March 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I am currently at sl, but I was wondering how long is a good length to get a 1st hairstick. I kind of feel like getting one just to have.....sort of an incentive, you know!:p

holothuroidea
March 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM
If my hair was all one length I'd be able to use a hair stick.

I keep checking with various stick-like objects around the house so when the day comes that I can put all my hair up with it I am going to get one.

I asked for some for Valentines day but cupid never brought them :rolleyes:

kittengirl
March 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
See, that's the problem with my hair, it a bit past sl but layered. My layers aren't too drastic though. I tried with a crochet hook but it was very thin and shiny metal so I feel like that's not a good judge. I really kind of want to buy one at some point just to have. Silly, I know.

holothuroidea
March 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Do it! Find one you really really love and keep it as motivation to grow. :)

Scarlet_Heart
March 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I would say by apl, you should be good to go. My hair was just shy of waist when I discovered hair sticks.

With your length, though, I think you should enjoy the french twist. Once your hair gets to be a certain length, you can't do them anymore. So maybe invest in a french twist comb (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADDL-Item-FREE-SHIPPING-1-pc-rhinestone-crystal-French-twist-hair-comb-wedding-/120783303188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c1f3ef214) to tide you over?

going gray
March 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
My hair is currently around 15" short I know & full of layers. But I've been collecting all types of hair sticks for years. I've got quite a stash!

Hoping this time I've learned my lesson well & will let my hair grow long enough to use them!

twopoints
March 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM
You can practise with a pencil or a chopstick with a tapered end until you buy one. Personally, I just use a chopstick instead of a hair stick. Since your hair is thick and layered, I think it'll still be a while until you can do a bun with a hair stick.

JamieLeigh
March 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I was already at classic length by the time I even discovered hairsticks. :lol: I was TBL when I got here.

I was using hairsticks with my DD6's hair when she was between SL and APL. Any shorter than that, and I'm not wizard enough to do it, but maybe some people can! :)

I think it's a good idea to buy one...that way, you have the motivation to keep growing so that you'll fit the stick. Also - you never know, the ones you really love might all be sold out by the time you're ready to wear them.

kittengirl
March 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I would say by apl, you should be good to go. My hair was just shy of waist when I discovered hair sticks.

With your length, though, I think you should enjoy the french twist. Once your hair gets to be a certain length, you can't do them anymore. So maybe invest in a french twist comb (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADDL-Item-FREE-SHIPPING-1-pc-rhinestone-crystal-French-twist-hair-comb-wedding-/120783303188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c1f3ef214) to tide you over?

I love French twists. I had a french twist comb once but it never worked. Maybe my hair was too thick? It was just a cheap comb though. Maybe that was the problem. I constantly fall back on my claw clip.:(

kittengirl
March 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I might have to buy one when I can (I'm saving up for a number of hair things at the moment). Could you give me any links for ones that you find particularly pretty or useful? I like a romantic victorianish look if that helps. Or anything pretty!

teela1978
March 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I could do this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=889&pictureid=11241
at 20 inches according to the tag on the picture. That's somewhere between shoulder and armpit length on me, though I recall that same style working fairly well at shoulder too.

styric
March 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I was between APL and BSL with hair always loose or in a pony tail, walking through a local mall. I saw a little artisan stand with headbands, and wooden jewellery. I wandered over to look, and saw the most adorable cup of polished hair sticks. I'd never seen them in person before, and seriously loved over a painted gecko and one with flames inlaid with silver wire.

Three weeks of mooning over them, I googled how to use them then found LHC. I went that night, bought the hair sticks and started actively growing my hair long. First I used CG method, then realized my hair likes cones and moved here for the updo advice. The day after I bought the sticks, the stand disappeared and I never found them again, though I've looked! They are BEAUTIFUL quality. I've never seen anybody here wearing sticks, just a teenager on Thursday for the first time wearing a pencil.

Hubby tolerated my growing obsession as he loves long hair on a woman and told me he'll happily buy the supplies as long as we can afford them. He loves the sticks on me, and has actually noticed the improvement from them. My partner tolerates it with amusement, he prefers short hair but I converted him the first time I pulled the single stick down, and my hair tumbled down like in movies (I still love that move).

My partner brought me four hand carved from highly scented wood, but fairly rough grain sticks from an artisan in the Ukraine when he went home for a few weeks. I sanded them, oiled them and wear them often.

Hubby discovered etsy when I started ranting about Panacea and let me make an order for a full batch of oil for my hair and my son's dry legs (he has serious issues with most lotions)... the oil worked beautifully for both so checked out etsy himself. The only sticks I own are my stick and fork from kimson, the two from that stand, two very small bone unicorn horns that I use for supporting a prettier stick (they hide in the hair), a 99 cent brass and swarovski gecko, and my four from Ukraine.

I didn't realize HOW much he'd been listening, or think to ask why we were broke the past couple weeks until he presented me with a receipt from TT this morning to surprise me. I am still in shock!

Georgies
March 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Are your front layers relatively long? You might be able to do a half up with a stick. It needs to be a short stick though or it looks funny!

I have several pages of hair sticks from etsy.com bookmarked! If you search "hair sticks" on etsy you'll find so many beautiful sticks to drool over it's like a form of torture not being able to buy them all...

BeautifulSoup
March 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I'm also at shoulder length and have been experimenting with a pencil. It works, but maybe because my hair is all one length.

Timberstone Turnings on etsy is a good place to buy hair sticks if you're willing to spend the pennies. I'm currently on the waiting list for a custom stick.

Lissandria
March 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Im APL now, and have been using sticks for a month or so. With my thickness (or lack thereof) I probably could have used sticks from about shoulder onwards. I love my sticks, and Im never going back to elastics!

PixxieStix
March 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM
My hair is about two inches past shoulder, and I can use a hair stick in the french twist. Nothing else yet, but it's a start!

Bedhead
March 17th, 2012, 11:34 PM
At shoulder length I started doing half ups with mini-cinibuns using a shorter hairstick.

skaempfer
March 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I could do a chopstick bun between shoulder and armpit.

BlazingHeart
March 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM
It depends partly on your thickness and partly on what kind of buns you want to do. If you're willing to do ones that anchor with a ponytail, there are some that can be done at shorter lengths than what is required for a non-anchored bun.

Personally, I have incredibly thick hair (was at about 5.7-5.8 before a massive shed, still over 5.0, and that's with my hair very very tightly compacted) and I do not like ponytail anchored buns, so I could not get my hair to go up until I was past waist. Granted, the last 8" or so are badly layered b/c I grew out from a very short cut, but all the same - if your hair is very thick and you do not want to anchor with a ponytail, your hair will need to be pretty long before you can hold it up with a stick. I found I could hold it up with a good fork a few inches before I could do it with a stick.

Ha, I've spent embarrassing amounts of money on sticks and forks since I started really growing out. But it means I've got good pieces - some ketylos, some nice basic Pacific Mercantile and Screaming Norwegian sticks, a Baerris fork, two Jeterforks, three Mairzydozy and one Grahtoe Studios fork (those are all sellers on etsy, btw, if you want to find them. Baerris also sells on Amazon and at their own website). I also bought a handful of pieces that are imported from Asia but I've spaced on the name of the seller - they're basic, inexpensive pieces, but I think for the price, they were good beginner tools, and a few are lovely enough to still wear now.

~Blaze

auburntressed
March 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I was ten or eleven the first time I started to put my hair up in hairsticks, so I'm not sure how long it technically was. Probably a little past waist. I do remember that when I was that age, it was impossible for me to use just one stick. I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I always had to use two. Nowadays, using one stick is easy for me. Sometimes, there really is a lot to be said for having bigger hands.

trolleypup
March 18th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I was already at classic length by the time I even discovered hairsticks. :lol:
Ditto. Joined at past classic.

But I wasn't skilled at sticks at first, so I accumulated a large stash of barrettes and slides and other ponytail devices before I figured out how to do my now routine lazy bun. I really ought to go through the collection and turf out all those hairtoys I am never going to use again.

pepperminttea
March 18th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I think BSL? A pair of Mei Fas. But that was pre-LHC, so I didn't know how to use them, I just thought they were really pretty and couldn't resist. :o

Romantic Victorian-ish style... hmm. The first place that comes to mind is BarefootMaiden (http://www.etsy.com/shop/barefootmaiden). :) Vintage combs would be more period, but they're more decorative than supportive like hairsticks.

One thing I would say; I found pairs of sticks more useful than singles at shorter lengths. And with your hair's thickness, you might well find bun-type updos more difficult until you have more length (since your coils will be thicker and wider, you'll need more length to make them - hope that makes sense!). :)

bubblyredhead
March 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Hip and I was like 13 I believe

Ligeia_13
March 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Almost to bsl. My first (and only, to this point) hairstick was a gift in this year's gift swap :D

gthlvrmx
March 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
i was at BSL with APL layers ugh. but hey it worked

Mina17
March 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I could hold a cinnamon bun up with a hairstick at shoulder length.

long&blonde
March 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I have a pretty pair of longlocks hairsticks you can have. I never wear them. "Black lotus". If you message me your address, they are yours!

CarpeDM
March 18th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Before I hit APL (no layers) I bought a couple of sticks but I had a hard time using them unless they were for a half up.

constancev18
March 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
A little past wl when I realized I could use a chopstick to hold up my bun.

battles
March 18th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'm almost APL and I still haven't figured out hairstick buns. :o I have layers that are almost shoulder, so... hopefully soon?

Johanna
March 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I was about SL, but it was more of a decorative piece, not a hold up my hair piece. My first proper hold up my hair, stick, was when I was at waist length. It was a figure 8 bun.

justgreen
March 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I didn't discover hairsticks/forks until a couple of months after joining here, 6.5 years ago. My length was 27".

I've bought and sold/traded many items over the years, keeping my faves. They are Greydog (http://www.etsy.com/listing/43136078/graydog-wood-hair-stick-sunset)(forks and sticks)and Woodbyc (http://www.prismnet.com/~cortese/pix/hair/hairsticks/nile.jpg). (The pics are just examples)

einna
March 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I got mine at a layered APL+, but it took a while before I could use it (months), my hair is thick. ;)

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I just got some hairsticks, I am at collarbone length, and can do a peacock twist, and that's about it. My hair is sorta fine textured. A fork works better for me right now though.

brave
May 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I was able to at just below shoulder, I think? I stole a fairly small pointy wooden one from my sister and used it. I still can't use blunt tipped ones, I have to be able to stab and weave them through. My hair is layered but it is very "grabby" so I just grab and coil as much as I can (not even a full loop) and weave a hairstick through the mess. Ends spray everywhere but it's usually pretty sturdy.

Phexlyn
May 13th, 2012, 03:01 AM
When I found out about hairsticks, my hair was already midback length, and I got the hang of it quite quickly. In retrospect, I'd use a chopstick dummy or pencil and experiment until I found the right length for a hairstick. My first sticks were way too long!

millyaulait
May 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I could use a ketylo/hairstick at SL, but it wasn't easy!

DancingQueen
May 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I was a few inches before APL, when I started using mine, and I could make a tiny little bun :) But I don't know, I might had been able to do so before, so maybe you can?

PolarCathy
May 13th, 2012, 05:16 AM
First I tried pencils and other stick-shaped things at around APL but they never worked for me. Same with braids, nothing worked until about a month ago (I have a lot of hair).

It was about two weeks ago that out of sheer boredom, I carved a few sticks that had a curved shape, and those worked, but only if I made them long enough (7"). So now at MBL I bought a few and carved some more too. The only limiting factor is that sticks shorter than about 6.5" are just too short for me so a lot of sticks on Etsy are out of question. And I always buy/make at least a matching pair if not 3 of the same design. With one, there's nothing I can do unless I make it very tight and then I have a headache. I need more length..

auburntressed
May 13th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I was like... 10 or 11 when I first tried hairsticks. So my hair was somewhere between waist and hip... not sure for certain.

Jing
May 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I got one (or so I though, the maker/seller threw in a free bonus one) very recently. I'm almost halfway between SL and APL, but I have ex-pixie layers, so I can't really use sticks yet.

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
See, that's the problem with my hair, it a bit past sl but layered. My layers aren't too drastic though. I tried with a crochet hook but it was very thin and shiny metal so I feel like that's not a good judge. I really kind of want to buy one at some point just to have. Silly, I know. If thin metal sticks are what works for you right now then use thin metal sticks! Quattro has some very nice sticks that will last you a lifetime.

The first sticks I was able to use were also thin metal sticks and my hair was about shoulder length. I won't say it was any kind of bun or even a decent twist but it kept my hair up and out of my way which was good enough for me. Just experiment a little and you'll find something that will work for you. ;)

partlycloudy
June 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm somewhere between APL and BSL, although my shortest layers are just above shoulder. I've just ordered my first hairsticks, 5.5in, from Quattro! :cheese:

I've never used a stick before! Hope I can figure it out...

millyaulait
June 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Between SL & APL.

Worked perfectly fine. :)

BrightEyes
June 4th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Um.......chin length:o Yep, I already have a little stash of hair sticks and forks. They are an investment! Actually, when my hair is shoulder length I can do a french-twist-thing with a hairstick. I also have short hairsticks I can use now in half-ups.

LadyTheta
June 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hmm ... guess that would have been APL.
Prior-to the prevalence of Hairsticks in the marketplaces, in prior decades, e.g. the 1970s, 80s ... Japanese lacquerware chopsticks were "tres chic" with us Longhaired Ladies.

californiagirl
June 4th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I was right about APL with layers.

embee
June 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
When I saw my first ever hairsticks, my hair was maybe chin? The minute I saw them I said to myself, "Yes!" and I bought them, even though I was poor and hadn't much spare money. They were at a speciality shop in another city. I think it was before I had internet. When I joined LHC I got out the paperwork (which is dated 1993) that went with my sticks and found they were Mei Fa sticks, by Shaune Bazner. And LHC showed me how to *use* them - I'd had nothing but failures before. ;)

I still have these sticks and they are my go-to daily hairtoys.

lundmir
June 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Just below SL worked for me, but most of my hair is the same length.

Sisgoldenhair65
June 4th, 2012, 07:26 PM
About a month ago I bought a pair of cheap plastic sticks at Claire's ($5). I brought them home and couldn't figure them out so I put them away. Last week someone posted a thread on how to make a Seashell Bun. I just had to try so I took them out. Guess what...I did it!! Now I am hooked on sticks! I wear a cinnabun with one stick and it stays in all day! It's time for some better sticks. Etsy, here I come!!!! ;) Oh, my hair is just past waist.

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I always loved the look of hairsticks but I told myself I would absolutely not buy any until I proved I could actually use them. I kept trying to use a pair of super long, plastic blunt-tipped chopsticks to hold a cinnabun (of course I had a hard time pushing the sticks through and could not figure out why). Never held so I just gave up.

But then, recently, I gave it a shot with a very smooth pencil and it worked! I'm not sure if it's because of the pencil or because I needed longer hair (just hit tailbone) but I was so stoked! So I ordered 6" Ketylo sticks and I adore them :)

Nae
June 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Shoulder length for a french twist type thingy. It helped to have two hairsticks at that length to stablize. 5 inch ketylos were my go to and I still use them at past APL.

Zesty
June 6th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I got my first sticks when I had MBL hair, more towards waist than BSL. It was getting long enough that I was desperate to find something to get it completely out of the way.

nobeltonya
June 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I was about waist, but I also waited so long b/c I didn't really know much about them until I got on here.. :D Otherwise, it would have been sooner. :cheese:

bouclée
June 6th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm a bit shy above APL and I have been using a hair stick since for a few weeks now. I make a very basic bun and it holds quiet well.

pink.sara
June 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I can just use sticks now at BSL (26 inches) to hold a cinnamon bun.
It barely goes all the way around once as I have 5.5 inch hair, and it only holds now because of bleach damage making it stiffer. When it was undamaged and slinky a stick or fork wont hold anything until waist minimum.

The one benefit of damage I suppose is not needing to ponytail with elastics first.

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I can juuuust use sticks to hold a loose bun--2 works better than 1, but 1 will serve for just bumming around the house. I'm just shy of APL.