PDA

View Full Version : Hair Melting?

RoseOfClare
March 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM
The other day I had someone say they wanted to know where I got my hair melted at.

My response was "Uh why would I melt my hair?" as i look at my locks.

Apparently my hair does this naturally, I'm a blonde naturally except my roots are ash and my tips are much lighter.

has anyone else had this happen to them?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/catlinrose/hairmelting.jpg

Miss Catrina
March 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I haven't experienced it, but I'm a student cosmetologist and it seems pretty common. When we do color services we are instructed to establish the natural level of the hair from the color found at the inner layers of the crown of the head, as well as the ends. There's often a couple levels difference. I guess it's just sun exposure (on virgin hair, anyway - for some people it's the effects of box dye that faded out).

lmfbs
March 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
My hair does the same thing. Dark brown at roots, bright auburn at ends.

I love your hairstyle too, how do you do it?

RoseOfClare
March 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thank you! OK at least I'm not the only one!

its 2 english braids on the side, the part is about even with my ears, then the 2 side braids are braided into a single english braid in the back

Lightningfury
March 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Likewise black roots, brown middle, auburn ends. It's just natural for virgin hair to do that right? Because of sun exposure and the hair aging?

RoseOfClare
March 17th, 2012, 08:19 PM
thats what I figured! i just think it's funny someones asking me who to go to to get it done professionally

SoulOfTheSea
March 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think the actual term for it is "ombre", lol. My hair does that naturally too- dark brown roots and gold on the ends. :)

holothuroidea
March 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
My hair does the same thing. Dark ash blonde to medium golden blonde.

It's short so it's hard to tell, but it is more evident in this picture (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9062&pictureid=122609).

Vanilla Mint
March 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Goodness, my natural hair color would do this in a very pronounced way. My roots would be a dark ash blonde-ish color that would melt into a warm brown in the middle and end in an almost pale red at the ends. It would be especially noticeable in summer.

justgreen
March 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe the term they meant to use was 'meld'. Meaning 'to blend, combine'.

'melt' is verb. thaw - dissolve - fuse - liquefy - smelt
noun. melting - fusion

RapunzelKat
March 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
When I first read your title, I was afraid your hair was literally melting! :bigeyes: I was glad when I read it that it was something else! :D

My hair does this too - it's the result of sun exposure and the longer your hair is, the more it shows! ;) I also use Sun-In, which makes the effect even stronger. I need to get a good pic one of these days that shows the difference between my roots and ends.

Your hair is so pretty! I love the braid! :D

melusine963
March 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I've never heard this term before, so your title made me picture horrific heat-styling damage. I'm glad I was wrong. :) I don't live somehwere particlarly sunny so it takes my roots a little while to turn the same colour as the ends of my hair. Nothing as spectacular as yours though.

schweedie
March 18th, 2012, 04:11 AM
When I first read your title, I was afraid your hair was literally melting! :bigeyes: I was glad when I read it that it was something else! :D
Heh, same here!

I get this, too, although my ends aren't quite as light as yours, RoseOfClare:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8201&pictureid=121331

I'm not sure whether it's actually lighter or just warmer, but either way there's definitely a noticeable difference!

Joliebaby
March 18th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Oh, this is definitely normal.
My hair lightens in the sun too and the longer ends tend to be blonder than the roots, especially in the winter. In the summer the crown lightens too, and I get natural highlights.

My daughter's hair is a chin length bob and when I compare her tips to the roots they are a slightly warmer, golden-y dark blonde, even though she wore a hat most of the time in the sun.. But in her hair the difference is not visible unless you compare the tips and roots on purpose, because her hair is not so long yet.

I think since most people are only used to seeing dyed hair, they don't even know what virgin hair naturally does (or often does).

Lippytoes
March 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I definitely get this too. My roots are dark, and the colour goes from brown to auburn on the way to my ends. The effect is especially pronounced when I'm due to wash my hair - my roots are super dark, and my ends look really red if I bring them up to my scalp (like schweedie is doing in her pic).

Annibelle
March 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I seem to be the only person I've ever known whose hair DOESN'T do this! Hmm. Even when it was an inch past waist, the ends were almost the exact color of the roots. Maybe that's why people ask what kind of dye I use. :( Apparently, my hair looks fake.

I love the look! :) And it's usually kind of easy to tell between natural ombre and box-dye kind, I think. Blondes seem to have this look most often.

racrane
March 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM
My hair did this too, before I dyed it brown. I loved it blonde like that - added personality. :) Now, my hair is a strawberry blonde shade (faded from brown) and I'm wondering how the summer sun will change it.

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'd say they are trying to ask how you blended the colors so well. My hair is dark roots to lighter ends.

RoseOfClare
March 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
my roots always get super dark during the winter and then in the summer I'm outside all the time. Thank you for the compliments on my hair. It honestly drives me crazy sometimes hahaha. Its most noticeable when my hair is braided and after I haven't washed it for a day or so. After washing day my hair looks similar in color.

During the summer I put lemon in my hair and am always outside so it lightens up naturally.

Bethmc
March 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM
My hair is also a different color at the top or crown of my head than the bottom part! It's darker toward the top, but looks lighter brown with a reddish tint at the bottom. I guess it must be sun exposure and/or because the hair is older.

Hollyfire3
March 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I think light brunettes and blondes see this more often, darker colors (like mine) are not lightened as easily because there is more pigment or something. So, consider yourself's lucky, the effect is BEAUTIFUL!

`l)rea
March 19th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah, my hair does this, too. It's dark blonde at the roots and fades out into a medium blondish red at the ends. I like the effect.