PDA

View Full Version : Wish Me Luck!

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
I have an appointment this afternoon for a microtrim. First trim in 9 months. I have to see someone new, since the guy who usually trims my hair is no longer here on the island. I'm ridiculously nervous!

I've already spoken with the stylist to let her know precisely what I want, and that I'll be coming in with clean hair that she can wet, but not wash.

Please, if you don't mind, send me good luck. I'd really appreciate it! And if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

I'll report back later with results.

Lisa-Maria
July 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Good luck to you! I'm sure it will be just fine :)

NurseMama
July 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Good luck! Be your own advocate and make them do the cut that you want!

Fingers and toes crossed...

angelthadiva
July 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Good luck, keep us posted!

kate46
July 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Aww don't worry I'm sure it will be fine, just make sure you are very clear about what you want then sit back and enjoy! :flower:

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Lot's of luck to you, I'm sure all will be well. Remember, your in control. :)

Elleyena
July 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
good luck!! *crosses fingers* Let us know how everything turns out!

lora410
July 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Good luck as you embark on a long hairs worse nightmare :D

renarok
July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
good luck. I know how scary it is. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

crebbsgirl
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm sending all my best vibes your way. Let us know how it goes! :)

ladystar
July 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
Good Luck!!!!! :D

vidgrl007
July 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
gl,sending good vibes your way.:)

Monsterkitti
July 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Good luck! :)

Patrycja
July 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'm wishing the best of luck for you :flower: I'm sure you'll stand your ground and demand only a microtrim :) Hopefully you'll love this new hairdresser and start going there!

embee
July 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Good luck! I hope you find a helpful hairdresser who listens and pays attention wielding the scissors!

pariate
July 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ooooh, good luck! Let us know how it went when you get back!

DavidN
July 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
I will be sure to send my good vibes your way, Islandgrrl, and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

WritingPrincess
July 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I hope it goes well. Do let us know how it turns out.

Euphony
July 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
GOOD LUCK! In around a year I'll be in the same boat as you, having to see a new stylist - I'm nervous already.

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Okay, so I'm back from the trim. I won't be going back there, even though she did exactly what I asked for.....

I got there 10 minutes early. She was 15 minutes late because she hadn't had lunch yet and needed to eat. Okay, I can understand that, but I'm on my lunch hour and I'm not eating either.

She obviously got the scoop about me not wanting my hair washed and asked if she could just spray it with water. I agreed. So water goes on. She starts combing with a wide tooth comb and hits a snag (no kidding, it's been up all day). Grabs a spray bottle and starts spraying. Now I've already told her I don't use ANYTHING with cones in it. I asked her what she was putting in my hair because I could smell that it wasn't water, and she said it was a leave-in conditioner. Does it have cones. Of course. Grrrr.

She trimmed between 1/4 and 1" off my ends, as instructed, gave me a lecture about how horrible henna is for my hair and that it would dry it out and do irreparable damage (what about conventional dyes? oh, perfectly safe - they're formulated so they won't damage your hair, ya know?) and how I should never, ever damp bun my hair or it will get moldy.

She then tried to blow dry my hair. When I declined, she told me it would be much less frizzy and dry looking if she could put some "serum" on it and blow it out for me.

All in all, it was a nail-biting half hour in the chair. And expensive. BUT, at least she listened and didn't do anything I didn't want done. :)

Next time I'm doing it myself!

Euphony
July 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Okay, so I'm back from the trim. I won't be going back there, even though she did exactly what I asked for.....
Next time you should come to Bellingham, have a cup of coffee with me and I'll take you over to the girl that does my hair - she's wonderful.

Now you gotta spill the beans...what happened?

crebbsgirl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Why won't you be going back?? I'm eagerly awaiting a story over here!! I'm glad she did exactly as you asked though!

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Go back up and read the rest of the post. I edited it to add the rest of the story. You guys are too fast for me!

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Next time you should come to Bellingham, have a cup of coffee with me and I'll take you over to the girl that does my hair - she's wonderful.

Now you gotta spill the beans...what happened?

Oh, that's a deal and a half!!! I'll would be delighted to take you up on it!

Lixie
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Glad to hear it didn't end in disaster, but sheesh, doesn't sound like she'll be winning any awards for customer service. :rolleyes:

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear it didn't end in disaster, but sheesh, doesn't sound like she'll be winning any awards for customer service. :rolleyes:

She wasn't rude in the least, just rather...uh...forceful in her opinions. And since I'm rather forceful in my opinions, especially as they relate to my personal person (if you know what I mean), it was ... interesting and quite unsatisfying.

Euphony
July 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
OH yeah, you definitely gotta come up here and see Kathy. She's totally intrigued by the henna and everything else I do. I've been seeing her for 8 years now, so she's seen my hair in many, many stages and this is the best stage I've had.

When doodlesmart came up for a trim, Kathy watched us both in awe as we rubbed some almond oil between our hands and used it to detangle. She thought that was a great idea and mentioned something about it probably being far better than store bought detanglers.

DecafJane
July 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm glad it wasn't a complete disaster, even if it was an unpleasant experience! :)
Sounds like you really need to take Euphony up on her offer. ;)

tigerlily83
July 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I hope the visit to the salon went well!! I always get nervous for some reason, when I get my hair trimmed. I always expect the worst but nearly all the time get a good result...hopefully you got exactly what you wanted. :)

SweetPea88
July 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry it was a little unpleasant due to the pushy stylist but at least she listened to your trimming request nicely! :)

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Almond oil, eh, E? I've never tried that.

I've found that coconut oil tends to make my ends unhappy - kind of stiff and weird. So far Jojoba and Dr. Hauschka's Neem Oil blend make my hair very, very happy.

I'll stop and pick up some almond oil on my way home tonight. I've just ordered some Camellia oil, too. Heard it rocks.

Yeah, and next trim, I'm coming over. But really, we shouldn't wait that long to get together!

Islandgrrl
July 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry it was a little unpleasant due to the pushy stylist but at least she listened to your trimming request nicely! :)

I do feel pretty fortunate that I didn't walk out of there with something drastic done that I didn't want. I totally cannot complain about the actual cut part of the visit. It is very, very nice.

Euphony
July 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Almond oil, eh, E? I've never tried that.

I've found that coconut oil tends to make my ends unhappy - kind of stiff and weird. So far Jojoba and Dr. Hauschka's Neem Oil blend make my hair very, very happy.

I'll stop and pick up some almond oil on my way home tonight. I've just ordered some Camellia oil, too. Heard it rocks.

Yeah, and next trim, I'm coming over. But really, we shouldn't wait that long to get together!
Absolutely not! I'm thinking we can both go to the Seattle meet when Dave is in town, that'll be wonderful. We should also get together sometime on your beautiful island and invade SarieQ's booth (I missed the last invasion).

hahahaha the almond oil was a 'because' it's because it's what I had in the truck. A friend of mine bought it and didn't like it, I gave her a bunch of henna and she forced the almond oil on me (I have pounds of it at home). I tossed the bottle in the console and it'd been sitting there since. My coconut oil had leaked in my purse a week prior to seeing doodlesmart so it was expelled from living there any more.

The almond oil worked pretty darned good actually.

thankyousir74
July 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Good luck!

And you can schedule micro trims in a salon? Lol I wonder what that translates to in salon measurements.

Patrycja
July 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
er....damp bunning causes mold????? I haven't heard that one yet-is it true?

I'm sorry your experience didn't go as well as you wanted to,but at least the trim was done to your specifications.I'm sorry you had to sit there and listen to her "advice"-all you asked for was a hair trim,not a lesson in dye vs henna.If you wanted that,just read the boards :lol: ;)

tigerlily83
July 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM

I got there 10 minutes early. She was 15 minutes late because she hadn't had lunch yet and needed to eat. Okay, I can understand that, but I'm on my lunch hour and I'm not eating either.

She obviously got the scoop about me not wanting my hair washed and asked if she could just spray it with water. I agreed. So water goes on. She starts combing with a wide tooth comb and hits a snag (no kidding, it's been up all day). Grabs a spray bottle and starts spraying. Now I've already told her I don't use ANYTHING with cones in it. I asked her what she was putting in my hair because I could smell that it wasn't water, and she said it was a leave-in conditioner. Does it have cones. Of course. Grrrr.

She trimmed between 1/4 and 1" off my ends, as instructed, gave me a lecture about how horrible henna is for my hair and that it would dry it out and do irreparable damage (what about conventional dyes? oh, perfectly safe - they're formulated so they won't damage your hair, ya know?) and how I should never, ever damp bun my hair or it will get moldy.

She then tried to blow dry my hair. When I declined, she told me it would be much less frizzy and dry looking if she could put some "serum" on it and blow it out for me.

All in all, it was a nail-biting half hour in the chair. And expensive. BUT, at least she listened and didn't do anything I didn't want done. :)

Wow. I hate the nerve of some stylists. Sometimes with them, it's their way or the highway. Grrr....

I also didn't like how she was lecturing you...you know what's best for your hair! It would be one thing if you've had the same stylist for an entire lifetime, but that really sucks she did that to you...including the spraying w/ a leave-in when you thought it was water. :(

It really sucks that you had a pushy stylist... I'm blessed to have found one who is very intuitive and listens. I've had my best haircuts from her.

On the sunnier side...at least she trimmed your hair to what you wanted it to be!

NurseMama
July 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Isn't it interesting how *little* most stylists know about how to take good care of hair?

I am happy that it didn't turn out bad, but I am thinking for a 1/4" trim you could totally accomplish that yourself :)

tomm
July 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Wow - I can feel the tension just reading your post. I am so glad that everything turned out OK.

Shanarana
July 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Salon visits can be so tramatic for us, I'm glad you came out with what you wanted. Her advise seems a bit off but I'm happy that it all worked out for you and you didn't get anymore cut than you wanted.

I have to tell you off subject that everytime I see your name I get the Elton John song stuck in my head.....;)

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Good luck!

And you can schedule micro trims in a salon? Lol I wonder what that translates to in salon measurements.

You can, but you still have to pay just like you're getting a complete haircut. :(

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Isn't it interesting how *little* most stylists know about how to take good care of hair?

I am happy that it didn't turn out bad, but I am thinking for a 1/4" trim you could totally accomplish that yourself :)

I've never trimmed myself with hair shorter than waist. Probably by the next time I get ready to trim, I'll be back at waist anyway...so I'll do it myself.

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Wow - I can feel the tension just reading your post. I am so glad that everything turned out OK.

Thanks, tomm. Gosh, you have the best curls :)

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I have to tell you off subject that everytime I see your name I get the Elton John song stuck in my head.....;)

Really? There's an Elton John song with my name? How did I not know that???

WritingPrincess
July 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM

I'm glad that you didn't get any more off than you wanted, but I can see why you're not going back there. Too tramatic.

br
July 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM

you need someone you can trust on or to do it by youself.

wintersun99
July 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
...lecture about how horrible henna is for my hair and that it would dry it out and do irreparable damage
...and how I should never, ever damp bun my hair or it will get moldy.
...Next time I'm doing it myself!

*uh huh, I NEVER mention henna anymore, I smile and nod when I get complimented at the salon, that's all. :cool:

*wasn't there a thread on whether leaving hair up/damp bunning could cause moldy hair over an extended period of time? I'm pretty sure that theory was debunked. :D

*me too! when it becomes long enough and when my year of no trims is up. :eyebrows:

glad it worked out, in the end...