PDA

View Full Version : Product for airdrying

Hollyfire3
March 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I am looking for a product to air dry my hair with. I was reading a few reviews on makeup alley that little bit of redken aerate is good for air drying waves, but it is a blow dry product, i would like some advice, maybe from someone has tried this or soemthing similar? I also have mousse and usually use that, but i want to see if i can find somethign better. I also have got 2b blow drying gel, i will use this to blow dry if all else fails. Also, is it bad to use heat once a week, i don't do this, but i might start to, because of time constrants and air drying continuing to fail. Opinions, advice all welcome. Thanks!

rock007junkie
March 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
For airdrying I just use a leave-in and a sealant (either an oil or a butter). Don't think anything else is needed.

Hollyfire3
March 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
For airdrying I just use a leave-in and a sealant (either an oil or a butter). Don't think anything else is needed.

Oh, i don't know anything about butters or oils,

torrilin
March 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by air drying failing? Really, hair WILL air dry. Even when it's 90% humidity outside and 40F. In those conditions, it might take a really long time (in excess of 12 hours with hair left loose and at BSL or less), but it will dry.

In more average conditions, I find squeezing out excess water, scrunching in leave in conditioner and maybe scrunching in some alcohol free hair gel as sealant works fine and dries fairly quickly. My hair's hovering around waist/elbow length right now, and it's drying in about 3 hours most of the time. This is with humidity in the 60-80% range.

Obviously, my hair's straighter, so it's less porous than yours. But the dry times I'm used to are for a basically rain forest climate, and that's totally livable... so I'm not really getting what you're looking for. You'd probably get better help if you can explain the problem you're having in more detail.

Hollyfire3
March 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by air drying failing? Really, hair WILL air dry. Even when it's 90% humidity outside and 40F. In those conditions, it might take a really long time (in excess of 12 hours with hair left loose and at BSL or less), but it will dry.

In more average conditions, I find squeezing out excess water, scrunching in leave in conditioner and maybe scrunching in some alcohol free hair gel as sealant works fine and dries fairly quickly. My hair's hovering around waist/elbow length right now, and it's drying in about 3 hours most of the time. This is with humidity in the 60-80% range.

Obviously, my hair's straighter, so it's less porous than yours. But the dry times I'm used to are for a basically rain forest climate, and that's totally livable... so I'm not really getting what you're looking for. You'd probably get better help if you can explain the problem you're having in more detail.

What i mean is that i can't stand the way my hair air dries, no product works to make it look nice and there is no consitency. Also, when i say time constrants, i mean that i can't wait for 4+ hours for my hair to dry at night when i wash my hair around 8:30, i need sleep because i get up early, very early. Sorry i wasn't clear, really i am.

lostchyld
March 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
What i mean is that i can't stand the way my hair air dries, no product works to make it look nice and there is no consitency. Also, when i say time constrants, i mean that i can't wait for 4+ hours for my hair to dry at night when i wash my hair around 8:30, i need sleep because i get up early, very early. Sorry i wasn't clear, really i am.

Toss it damp into a braid and sleep on wet hair. Mine, at least, is usually still a little damp in the morning when I let it down so I get some of my hair's natural texture to accent the waves as it finishes drying while I get ready for work. Looser french braids work best to keep the texture near the scalp. I get up at 5am and am in bed by 8pm most days. Tonight, it's too hot and my feet are hurting so I'm awake late. I plan wash days for evenings and weekends when nothing else is going on. This means I wash Monday immediately after work, Wednesday or Thursday and Saturday or Sunday around lunch. I know life is busy, but a little planning can go a long ways.

I don't use a lot of product. A little coconut oil or Nightblooming anointing oil over conditioner is usually enough to keep the frizzies down unless I do something silly like run my fingers through my hair constantly while it's drying. :D Yay for being a curly. :cheese:
Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest especially without knowing your routine. I've always been content to let my hair do its thing with minimal fuss. I'm actually spending less time and energy on it now and having it look really good compared to the triangle hair I used to get in high school before someone suggested I throw the brush away. Ditching the brush worked like magic. :magic:

Sorry you're having trouble with your hair.

elthia
March 18th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Microfiber towels. Wrap your hair in one and leave it up for 15 to 20 minutes, it will cut your dry time in half.

What I do after that is I take my fingers and loosely shake my hair at the roots, but don't completely finger comb it. That way the air gets into the roots but I don't loose the curl pattern and get frizz. When the hair is mostly damp, I lightly apply my oil of choice. If I am going to sleep, I damp braid. If I want to go out, I comb with a wide toothed comb and style.

hototogisu
March 18th, 2012, 02:34 AM
If I'm wearing my hair wavy, I use a walnut sized blob of Redken Soft Spin gel and a pea sized dab of John Frieda Frizz Ease finishing creme (which I'm not crazy about - Redken Outshine is much better).

I really need to work to get my very weak wave pattern going, though. The plop really works for me, so I use the Icequeen method in the shower (which I learned from the Naturally Curly forums), squeeze product into dripping wet hair, then plop into a microfibre towel while I get dressed. I'll let it air dry until I'm ready to go to bed, then I'll re-plop into a sleep cap. I look RIDICULOUS, but I get really nice, defined, DRY waves in the morning, and it's not as tangled as it would be if I didn't wear the cap.

Good luck!

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Toss it damp into a braid and sleep on wet hair. Mine, at least, is usually still a little damp in the morning when I let it down so I get some of my hair's natural texture to accent the waves as it finishes drying while I get ready for work. Looser french braids work best to keep the texture near the scalp. I get up at 5am and am in bed by 8pm most days. Tonight, it's too hot and my feet are hurting so I'm awake late. I plan wash days for evenings and weekends when nothing else is going on. This means I wash Monday immediately after work, Wednesday or Thursday and Saturday or Sunday around lunch. I know life is busy, but a little planning can go a long ways.

I don't use a lot of product. A little coconut oil or Nightblooming anointing oil over conditioner is usually enough to keep the frizzies down unless I do something silly like run my fingers through my hair constantly while it's drying. :D Yay for being a curly. :cheese:
Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest especially without knowing your routine. I've always been content to let my hair do its thing with minimal fuss. I'm actually spending less time and energy on it now and having it look really good compared to the triangle hair I used to get in high school before someone suggested I throw the brush away. Ditching the brush worked like magic. :magic:

Sorry you're having trouble with your hair.

Thanks for the tips! A braid sounds like a good idea! I will try this. I still use a brush because lately due to damage from past heat styling, my hair has lost alot of its curl, it is coming back though. I wash with aussie volume shampoo and use vo5 conditioner, then, i usually apply a mousse to air dry, thats it. I just have not been liking the way my hair looks air dryed, maybe its the old damage? I don't know, but i do know the one time i tried braid waves, i loved them, so maybe i should give them another go?

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
If I'm wearing my hair wavy, I use a walnut sized blob of Redken Soft Spin gel and a pea sized dab of John Frieda Frizz Ease finishing creme (which I'm not crazy about - Redken Outshine is much better).

I really need to work to get my very weak wave pattern going, though. The plop really works for me, so I use the Icequeen method in the shower (which I learned from the Naturally Curly forums), squeeze product into dripping wet hair, then plop into a microfibre towel while I get dressed. I'll let it air dry until I'm ready to go to bed, then I'll re-plop into a sleep cap. I look RIDICULOUS, but I get really nice, defined, DRY waves in the morning, and it's not as tangled as it would be if I didn't wear the cap.

Good luck!

Thanks for the luck, i need it! The plopping sounds fun and like it really works. I sometimes plop my hair into a microfiber towel but then i get annoyed with thet towel on my head and take it down in 10 mins. I will have to try this again

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Microfiber towels. Wrap your hair in one and leave it up for 15 to 20 minutes, it will cut your dry time in half.

What I do after that is I take my fingers and loosely shake my hair at the roots, but don't completely finger comb it. That way the air gets into the roots but I don't loose the curl pattern and get frizz. When the hair is mostly damp, I lightly apply my oil of choice. If I am going to sleep, I damp braid. If I want to go out, I comb with a wide toothed comb and style.

I use a microfiber towel when i wash, it does help cut drying time, i also shake and finger comb my roots liek you described. I have never tried oil, i want to try coconut oil, but my hair tends to get protein overload easily and doesn't coconut oil lock protein in? What do you use for the oil?

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I towel dry and detangle with spray in detangler. Then I use my wide tooth comb to comb out knots. I apply my monistat mist with oil put up in protective hair style.

elthia
March 18th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I go back and forth between jojoba and henna sooq's cocoveda oil. I only use coconut oil for my skin or if I am doing a heavy oiling because my hair has been abused or needs washed more frequently than I like do to my job/life. Light oilings I use jojoba and cocoveda.

Kelikea
March 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I like the braiding idea and the microfiber towel/plopping. I do either or both. I wash my hair at night, comb through with conditioner in the shower, squeeze out excess water, then put it up in the microfiber towel. It does not have to stay in the towel very long, 15min is probably fine. Then take it down to air dry and braid or sleepcap to sleep. In the morning, comb with wide-tooth comb, re-spritz and style.

gracenotes
March 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
My hair was always really frizzy when I air dried it until I started damp bunning. So, a damp bun/damp braid might help, depending on your hair type and length.

I also use a leave-in (just a pea-sized amount of my regular conditioner) on very wet hair, then once it starts to dry, I put in a little bit of Panacea Salve and baby oil. Even when I leave my hair down to airdry, I find that this helps it behave.

Debra83
March 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I just put a little GF3N in my hair and then a little gel this morning, not even scrunching, just letting it air dry, and I went out and sat outside for about 2 hours in the wind visiting someone and came back and took this pic, it makes it REALLY supersoft too as well as very moisturized. But, my wave pattern shows this way, which I don't always appreciate.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=129075

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I just put a little GF3N in my hair and then a little gel this morning, not even scrunching, just letting it air dry, and I went out and sat outside for about 2 hours in the wind visiting someone and came back and took this pic, it makes it REALLY supersoft too as well as very moisturized. But, my wave pattern shows this way, which I don't always appreciate.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=129075

I saw your thread on this! Your hair looks so beautiful! I might look into this conditioner, my hair NEEDS the pampering!

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 04:49 PM
My hair was always really frizzy when I air dried it until I started damp bunning. So, a damp bun/damp braid might help, depending on your hair type and length.

I also use a leave-in (just a pea-sized amount of my regular conditioner) on very wet hair, then once it starts to dry, I put in a little bit of Panacea Salve and baby oil. Even when I leave my hair down to airdry, I find that this helps it behave.

I have tried damp bunning once, and on my between BSL and APL thick hair, all it did was allow me to wake up with slightly damp hair with no waves and quickly blow dry before leaving for the day, not my cup of tea. But, i am willing to give it another try, i might try braiding first, then maybe damp bunning another night? One of my goals is to get my curls back so i don't want the bun to make is so straight. What does the Panacea salve do? I want to get some, maybe just a sample, but i don't know what it would do for my hair.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I like the braiding idea and the microfiber towel/plopping. I do either or both. I wash my hair at night, comb through with conditioner in the shower, squeeze out excess water, then put it up in the microfiber towel. It does not have to stay in the towel very long, 15min is probably fine. Then take it down to air dry and braid or sleepcap to sleep. In the morning, comb with wide-tooth comb, re-spritz and style.

Since our hair types are similar, besides the strand type, this routine might work, i always use a microfiber towel, but am always unsure of where to go from there. This seems like a good routine to try. Wow! So many routines on this thread...hmm which to try first.....

BrightEyes
March 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM
When I have tried to enhance my natural waves I got good results using Jessicurl Gelebration Spray. I scrunched it in wet hair and let it air dry. The only problem I had was lack of volume (due to my fine thin hair). Now I use usually use steam rollers.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
When I have tried to enhance my natural waves I got good results using Jessicurl Gelebration Spray. I scrunched it in wet hair and let it air dry. The only problem I had was lack of volume (due to my fine thin hair). Now I use usually use steam rollers.

I have never tried any Jessicurl products, i do scrunch mousse into my hair, same concept right? I have volume sometimes, but my hair is heat damaged so it is hard to make it look nice, i mean at a glance it is alright but i know it has lost alot of curl, it has been strange for months, i am just so unhappy with what it looks like when it air dries

HintOfMint
March 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I used Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Cream when I was growing out my hair and it was really the perfect product. I have almost the same hairtype as yours and it really gave me even waves with minimal frizz.

Nowadays I use some Nightblooming Panacea (winter blend) scrunched on the ends and I damp bun, but I'm probably going to go back to Aveda. It really worked on loose airdried hair and not damp bunned hair. Note, I actually worked it in, running my fingers down through my hair, I didn't scrunch it.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I used Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Cream when I was growing out my hair and it was really the perfect product. I have almost the same hairtype as yours and it really gave me even waves with minimal frizz.

Nowadays I use some Nightblooming Panacea (winter blend) scrunched on the ends and I damp bun, but I'm probably going to go back to Aveda. It really worked on loose airdried hair and not damp bunned hair. Note, I actually worked it in, running my fingers down through my hair, I didn't scrunch it.

The Aveda sounds nice, if i get any more hair products, this might be it, would a smoothing balm be similar? I might be able to work with what i have, because i have a BILLION hair products...thank you for the tips, i will use then. Does not scrunching make your hair wavier or straighter?

gracenotes
March 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I have tried damp bunning once, and on my between BSL and APL thick hair, all it did was allow me to wake up with slightly damp hair with no waves and quickly blow dry before leaving for the day, not my cup of tea. But, i am willing to give it another try, i might try braiding first, then maybe damp bunning another night? One of my goals is to get my curls back so i don't want the bun to make is so straight. What does the Panacea salve do? I want to get some, maybe just a sample, but i don't know what it would do for my hair.

The Panacea salve is great for moisturizing. I use it mostly on the ends and smooth the rest over the canopy, and it calms frizzies and keeps my waves together nicely.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The Panacea salve is great for moisturizing. I use it mostly on the ends and smooth the rest over the canopy, and it calms frizzies and keeps my waves together nicely.

It sounds awsome! What are the differences between the winter and summer versions?

styric
March 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM
When I need to cut down on drying time, I use Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. It's very coney, so make sure your hair is moisturized first. It's a really good detangler/shine/faster dry serum but I'd never use it on dry hair because of the alcohol in it.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM
When I need to cut down on drying time, I use Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. It's very coney, so make sure your hair is moisturized first. It's a really good detangler/shine/faster dry serum but I'd never use it on dry hair because of the alcohol in it.

I have that, but it makes my hair so much straighter, especially now that i have lack of curl issues to contend with, before all that, it was LOVELY! I will keep it in mind if i EVER fix my curl problems.

HintOfMint
March 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM
The Aveda sounds nice, if i get any more hair products, this might be it, would a smoothing balm be similar? I might be able to work with what i have, because i have a BILLION hair products...thank you for the tips, i will use then. Does not scrunching make your hair wavier or straighter?

Scrunching makes hair wavier, not scrunching smooths out the waves and straightens them a bit. Don't get me wrong though, your hair will still be wavy. But that technique turns my hair into a 2A.

It sounds awsome! What are the differences between the winter and summer versions?

Winter lacks protein and is low in humectants, unlike her main blend and her summer blend. Keep in mind, panacea (at least the winter blend in my experience, have not tried the others) requires a bit of a learning curve due to the shea butter which can be a bit thick and sticky. I only scrunch this into the ends, I don't smooth it through like I would the Aveda.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Scrunching makes hair wavier, not scrunching smooths out the waves and straightens them a bit. Don't get me wrong though, your hair will still be wavy. But that technique turns my hair into a 2A.

Winter lacks protein and is low in humectants, unlike her main blend and her summer blend. Keep in mind, panacea (at least the winter blend in my experience, have not tried the others) requires a bit of a learning curve due to the shea butter which can be a bit thick and sticky. I only scrunch this into the ends, I don't smooth it through like I would the Aveda.

Oh alright, i will continue scrucnhing, i want to see how much curl i can get back. If i DO get the panacea, i will use only a bit, i have a perivious history of using FAR to much product, even though my hair can handle quite alot....which panacea is better to start off with do you think? Is the Aveda a cream? Does it contain silicones?

HintOfMint
March 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Oh alright, i will continue scrucnhing, i want to see how much curl i can get back. If i DO get the panacea, i will use only a bit, i have a perivious history of using FAR to much product, even though my hair can handle quite alot....which panacea is better to start off with do you think? Is the Aveda a cream? Does it contain silicones?

Yes, with panacea, a little goes a long way! As far as which one to get, that depends on your hair. If your hair is intolerant to protein, then the protein-free winter one is your best bet. If you live in a dry area, then the winter blend with low humectants is still your best bet. Dry air combined with humectants will dry your hair out more.

The Aveda cream has silicones in it, unfortunately. I gave it up when I started my strict no-cone phase. Now I've relaxed and I'll probably start using it again. I generally CWC so I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it builds up with that routine.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Yes, with panacea, a little goes a long way! As far as which one to get, that depends on your hair. If your hair is intolerant to protein, then the protein-free winter one is your best bet. If you live in a dry area, then the winter blend with low humectants is still your best bet. Dry air combined with humectants will dry your hair out more.

The Aveda cream has silicones in it, unfortunately. I gave it up when I started my strict no-cone phase. Now I've relaxed and I'll probably start using it again. I generally CWC so I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it builds up with that routine.

I just worry about silicones taking MORE of my MIA curls....can silicones do that? I live in a humid area, so i think i will probably go with the summer one, even if my hair has SOME (Alright, alot) of issues with proteins at times, i don't know exactly which proteins it DOESN'T like. i am glad you are going to use a product you like, cone free didn't work for me, too many tangles and poof, but cone lite is preferable while i try to get my curls back. Do you know what sort of protein is in the panacea?

HintOfMint
March 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I just worry about silicones taking MORE of my MIA curls....can silicones do that? I live in a humid area, so i think i will probably go with the summer one, even if my hair has SOME (Alright, alot) of issues with proteins at times, i don't know exactly which proteins it DOESN'T like. i am glad you are going to use a product you like, cone free didn't work for me, too many tangles and poof, but cone lite is preferable while i try to get my curls back. Do you know what sort of protein is in the panacea?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=panacea&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Here is the link to Nightblooming's shop on Etsy. She lists all the ingredients.

Hollyfire3
March 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=panacea&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Here is the link to Nightblooming's shop on Etsy. She lists all the ingredients.

Oh, thank you.