PDA

View Full Version : Side Burns - Shave them or grow em?

DarkAlice
March 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM
i shaved mine and now they are short and look stupid, do you guys shave your sideburns or include them and consider them parts of your long hair?

EdG
March 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I trim my sideburns along with my beard. Shaving is a bit too dangerous for my tastes.

I err on the side of leaving some sideburns because there isn't a clear boundary between where the sideburns end and hair begins, and I don't want to accidentally trim some hair. ;)

My sideburns are completely covered by hair, so their appearance is not very important.
Ed

Covet
March 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I don't have sideburns but if I did I would wax them. It's just a personal preference but I don't like them.

DarkAlice
March 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I trim my sideburns along with my beard. Shaving is a bit too dangerous for my tastes.

I err on the side of leaving some sideburns because there isn't a clear boundary between where the sideburns end and hair begins, and I don't want to accidentally trim some hair. ;)

My sideburns are completely covered by hair, so their appearance is not very important.
Ed

thanks, i always wondered because it seems some people dont even have them...and some people grow out there sideburn hair and consider it part of their long hair

Kaelee
March 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I have widdle baby sideburns (don't come very far down my face just in front of my ears) and it honestly never occurred to me to remove them, so they're long grown out. :) (My dad did try to shave them once when I was little though. lol.)

Allychan
March 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hmm. I have this thing about sideburns. I grow mine but they are short and whispy. I'd never recommend shaving them off, I think it makes people look a bit strange...? Kinda like a lego man with his helmut hair attached to the top of his head

Vanille_
March 22nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
You know that electric trimmer thing they sell at Walgreens that runs on a battery and looks like a wand? I use that. I use it every other day and I feel much better. I don't think it's noticeable. And even if it is, it can't be as bad as when I do nothing to my sideburns. I dont go all the way to the scalp line. I leave a bit with some wisps to help make it look more natural.

sfgirl
March 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
If they don't go past the top of your ears, they're fine and make for cute wispies :D
If they're lower... it does look odd. I once had a rude co worker who had sideburns. I kind of zoomed in on that LOL, especially since she was so mean.

PrincessBob
March 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM
I definitely like to keep mine long. In fact, I doubt I've ever trimmed them. They make me feel classy, I don't know why.

Amber_Maiden
March 23rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
I just bleach mine, or leave them alone.

Miss Lucy
March 23rd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Sideburns? I think the sideburns from Edwardian and Victorian and whatever times are really cool and 'tis sad that nobody has any!
And, well, I don't have any sideburns to speak of. I actually got these invisible question marks on top of my head when I noticed that girls answered this topic. Do you really grow such sideburns that they bother you? Or is grooming them just a way to make yourself feel more dapper?

MissCoco
March 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
I have thick, wavy sideburns next to my ears that grow pretty long and get so puffy sometimes that I look like a monkey if I don't tame them. :p I wish I had lovely wispy ones like other girls do, but alas, mine are the opposite of that! I've tried letting them grow for a while, but then they get too crazy and I trim them. I would never shave them because it would look too masculine on me, I think... and the upkeep would be annoying.

Anyway, some people have commented on mine saying they look cute, and as long as they're well groomed, I don't mind them too much, personally. I do the same with my nape hairs, which are also thick and wavy. :o

PsycheOrigami
March 23rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
I grow thick, dark, dense hair all the way to my jawline naturally, but I remove it all the way to my hairline. I have to do touchups daily. On me, I don't find it cute or anything of the sort: it's quite embarrassing, since people can be unkind about that kind of thing.

OP, I hope you find a solution that you like.

kahuna
March 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
grow them out! i think that sideburns complement a guy with long hair, as long as they keep it clean and trimmed

ladonna
March 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm a female so I just kind of smooth my sideburns up into the rest of my hair. I love facial hair on men.

beautifulending
March 24th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I let them grow to much of a pain in the neck to trim/cut them all the time...well at lest for me anyways.

Jing
March 24th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I shaved mine off, but I'm letting some grow back. It looks very silly right now. :p They're just annoying, never grow longer than just barely long enough to tuck behind my ears, and they're all curly and wispy.

Sunshineliz
March 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Let 'em grow long. Sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't. (But I DO refuse to call them sideburns--they are my "ladyburns" as pepperminttea named them!:D They're just an extension of my scalp hair fading into my face fuzz, not transitioning into facial hair)

I actually set up a poll trying to see how far down the roots of the hair grow in front of people's ears. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=87880 But a few people were confused by the question and answered how long the strands of hair grew in front of their ears.:shrug:

MissCoco
March 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Let 'em grow long. Sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't. (But I DO refuse to call them sideburns--they are my "ladyburns" as pepperminttea named them!:D They're just an extension of my scalp hair fading into my face fuzz, not transitioning into facial hair)

Hah, "ladyburns"! Love it! :laugh:

Valfreyja
March 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
"Ladyburns" can be cute depending on how far down they grow. I don't have any at all and there are times when I wish I did. :p

melusine963
March 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I knew a girl who used to bleach hers. It looked really weird because she had very dark hair, tanned skin and blonde sideburns. Not a flattering look.

bte
March 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I used to trim mine, but for the last two years I have let them grow, and the longest strands are at about 8 inches. I am hoping that they will soon become long enough to tie into my ponytail with the rest of my hair.

Valfreyja
March 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Oh, yuck! I can just about picture it. Better just shave them off instead, I think! The problem then is that shaving off stubble can become addictive, who wants prickly stubble on their face?

Valfreyja
March 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Sorry bte! I was replying to melusine963, just so that's in the clear!! I should have added a quote!! Stupid me!

Chetanlaiho
March 25th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Hmm I don't but now I think maybe I should xD I get very protruding cheekbones from my mother's side, her hairdresser always emphasized her sideburns which I think looks horrible. I kind of tuck mine behind my ear which seems to work?