PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresseraphobic...need self-trimming advice

kittengirl
March 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Well, here goes me sounding completely insane:
Now that I am trying to grow my hair out so carefully I have a fear of a hairdresser cutting it. I do have a dresser that i like but I don't want to go for trims for a number of reasons. One, I use my own all natural shampoo, two, I don't want their tools or heat used. I am just used to babying my hair so much. And much as I love my stylish I don't think she understand all my non-chemical opinions. Last time I was there she asked me (very seriously) if I was worried the chemicals would somehow seep into my brain. Is it possible to look decent self trimming while growing out? My hair is currently layered, and sl, which is my big concern. Does anyone have any tips about this? I don't need a trim right now, I'm just being prepared with a plan! I also go to this stylish for my eyebrows and I don't want her to think I don't like her cutting. Then again, I always do feel good when I get a trim. Nice and fresh, you know. Is it possible to feel so fresh trimming oneself? Sorry for the long post. :o

kidari
March 17th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Trimming your own hair depends on a lot of things. It's almost inevitable that at first it will not be so successful so it's best to stick with the easiest methods first. Feye's self-trim method is probably the easiest. I have seen people use the CreaClip but I've never tried it for myself. However, if your hair is super thick, it may not be as easy as it would be on thin hair. Make sure you use scissors that are meant for cutting hair and only use it to cut hair.

I watched a lot of videos of professionals cutting hair and normal people showing their own methods of cutting their own hair at home. I also read tons of material on cutting and styling hair. In the beginning I actually used kitchen scissors and experimented. I sometimes ended up with an uneven hemline that I had to keep fixing so I ended up cutting more than I intended. Also, my DIY layers looked nice from the front and looked like a mullet from the back since I had no idea what I was doing and didn't know how to blend my layers. Over time, I've invested in actual barber scissors and thinning shears. I also use a brand new shaving razor meant for the bikini line from time to time. For me it was trial and error but I feel I'm naturally pretty talented at these kinds of things. Also, I never really intended to grow my hair long. I only aimed for APL so messing up and cutting shorter never bothered me. It's really nice now that I've gotten better at it. It's very convenient and I get what I want every time. Plus, my cut is customized to me. So anyhow, this is just my 2 cents. I hope it was in any way helpful. If you trust your stylist you can have her help you with your goals with a lot of communication and respect and maybe some compromise (since they will have their own opinions and advice that may actually be helpful or not).

I forgot to add that I used to be a salon/spa addict. I've been to a lot of nice high end salons and received all kinds of haircuts. Over time I realized which were most flattering on me and I always watched carefully at what they did. Although it's different cutting your own hair.

lapushka
March 17th, 2012, 09:53 AM
At SL, with the care you seem to give your hair, it's probably still in excellent condition, so much so that it does not need a trim. Maybe join the 2012 non-trimming thread (no trimming for a year).

It is possible to trim your own hair with Feye's self-trimming method, as kidari already mentioned. At shorter lengths you might need some help with it, though.

lovinglocks
March 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I trim my own hair. I bought scissors from Sally Beauty Supply just for trimming. I grab a few hair clips and trim my hair small layers at a time. I'd much rather do that than have a hair dresser cut of 2 inches when I say half an inch.

Georgies
March 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Well, we're in the same boat - I'm also at SL with layers and I'm just going to delay trimming as long as possible, hopefully for all of 2012. There's no way I can use Feye's method at this length. I'm going to try to wait until that method will work which I imagine would be around APL but I'm not sure.

Are you in the growing SL to APL thread? It seems most people there are going no trims for now. Or if your layers are really bothering you (I know they can be a pain) maybe a trusted friend/relative could take just a bit off? I second using sharp barber scissors. Years ago I used ordinary household scissors to trim my hair and it was a disaster!

Libbylou
March 17th, 2012, 10:41 AM
If you enjoy the salon experience, I know I do, you could ask her to use your own shampoo and conditioner.
I always used to ask what "their" idea of half inch measurement was on the comb and go from there.
Stylist's are in the service industry and would probably bend over backwards to make sure you are happy and become a return customer.
BTW, I have shoulder length hair with layers(unfortunately) and have not had a trim since September 2011. I am in the "No trims2012" group.

Shesta
March 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
If you are only SL you can easily pass an year of no trimming. I wouldn't worry about self trimming until waist at least.

Covet
March 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
If you enjoy the salon experience, I know I do, you could ask her to use your own shampoo and conditioner.
I always used to ask what "their" idea of half inch measurement was on the comb and go from there.

^^^ this! I highly, highly doubt they would refuse to use your own products. When I go to the hair salon I insist they skip the shampoo and when my head's in the sink, they can only apply conditioner, then detangle my hair and rinse. I also bring my own TT for them to use and tell them to section my hair carefully when detangling and make sure they start from the tip going up to the root, very slowly. I am paying for a service and there's no way I'm going to let them manhandle my hair, so telling them exactly what you want them to do and making sure they understand before they start is vital.

Toadstool
March 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Do you have to have it washed? Here, they are happy to cut it without washing it.

jojo
March 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I bought a creaclip the knock off one from ebay and it works brilliantly. Though I agree with the others, at SL you can easily go a year or maybe 2 without trims.

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
If you don't like her items speak up and trimming is up to your hair. If its damaged trim.

kittengirl
March 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I am going to try the no trims 2012. My hair is not really damaged, I think S&D will suffice for now. I appreciate all of the input!