PDA

View Full Version : Too much oiling - is there such a thing?

lovinglocks
March 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hi!
I've started oiling my hair a lot, it's oiled at work, more heavily oiled after work/before shower, then a bit of oil before bed - mainly coconut oil, with weekly/sometimes biweekly heavy oiling of coconut oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil mixed. I was wondering, is too much oiling a bad thing? I don't oil my hair maybe the one day a week I wear my hair down, but even then sometimes I'll put a bit of coconut oil in.

If there's a thread about this, sorry! I can't log in via my computer, but somehow can via my phone, and I'm having a heck of a time navagating this site via a blackberry... (And I don't think there's an option to search...)

Amber_Maiden
March 16th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Some people say it can block the hair follicle, but I have never experienced that. I use between a tablespoon of oil to half a tablespoon of oil a day on my hair... Though sometimes I have been known to use two tablespoons of oil- and this is not when I am doing a deep treatment, it takes a lot more oil for me to use then!

I also keep oil in my hair for up to 8 days.

redsoles
March 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
moderation is key. I have not read any scientific data that proves oils block hair follicles. I can't tell you if it's a good thing or not. But too much of something isn't a good thing.

katsrevenge
March 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Depends. If the hair quiots soaking it up then yes.

Also.. if the oil is in heavy enough to be visible... or goes rancid in the heat!

Other then that, nope, I think not!

jennescence
March 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM
It always made my scalp hurt when i did that. Idk i guess i'm just weird.

Georgies
March 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM
There's an option to search but it's not very good. Google is better.

Anyway, doesn't your hair start to feel greasy/lanky/heavy after awhile? If I over-oil I know it! My hair gets totally wonky. Less than a teaspoon of oil will do that for me these days, but my hair is short and better moisturized than it used to be. If you're happy with the look and feel of your hair, no worries, I should think.

lovinglocks
March 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the insite!

Well my hair is currently shoulder length, and I'm trying to grow it out, and grow it out HEALTHY! So, I wear my hair up usually 6/7 days, so I oil the length of my hair because it isn't noticable. If I go out somewhere and I want my hair to look nice, I either don't oil, or do a super light oiling.

Deborah
March 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think it depends entirely on your individual head of hair. Most ladies find that adding oil to their hair produces good results. My hair must simply just not need any oil applied to it. The oil does not absorb, so even a little leaves my hair limp. I used to once in a while add a tiny bit of shea nut butter to my ends, but I don't need that any more either. I guess the cuticle of my hair lays unusually tight to the rest of the hair, so nothing is needed to smooth it down or to fill in dry spots or something.

My point is that applying oil to ones' hair seems mostly helpful, but there are those of us for whom it is simply a waste and a nuisance. So, if your hair doesn't respond well to oiling, just don't use any, and don't worry about it. Maybe your hair is just healthy. Imagine that! :)

melusine963
March 17th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Depends. If the hair quiots soaking it up then yes.

Also.. if the oil is in heavy enough to be visible... or goes rancid in the heat!

Exactly this, so for me that means only using very small amounts.

Carrie Ingalls
March 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
This question always intrigues me. As with so many things, especially when it comes to hair the answer is "it depends."

What is your goal or purpose for oiling? I love oiling (coconut) because it helps keep my hair from tangling as much as when it is dry, and it also causes my hair to behave a little more like it is wet (which means my buns stay better).

Does your hair like oil? This is the key, finding the balance that works for your hair and your lifestyle. When the weather is warmer I tend to put more oil in my hair than when it is cooler. It doesn't matter what works for other people's hair, you have to figure out what works for yours. Case in point in the summer of 2009 I HEAVILY oiled my hair (see pics in my album) to the point that it looked like it was soaking wet. Washing every four-five weeks did end up being a bit long and it would start to smell a little off (but not rancid). My hair was fine for washing every 3-4 weeks and had no ill effects despite being out in the heat every day that summer (out of the sun under a Buff). Granted, I do not oil that heavily anymore but it didn't negatively effect my hair. Now I oil more for the texture once my hair is completely dry from my last shower (usually a couple days later) now because that best fits my current lifestyle.

If the oil is not damaging your clothing or negatively impacting your life in some way and your hair is happy I say you can't really "over oil." You can put on more oil than your hair can absorb, but sometimes that is done on purpose.

Sillage
March 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ktani has a good article about iodine values (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190)that you should read. Basically some oils are "drying" meaning they become resinous as they oxidize and can leave residue on your hair. I use rose hip seed oil regularly which has a very high iodine value and have no problems what so ever with build up but I do clarify once a month. Just something you should consider.

jacqueline101
March 17th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I'd say if your hair becomes oily its too much otherwise no.

Firefly
March 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
For me, the answer is yes. If I use too much oil, I find that over time the oil seems to stop working and I get crunchy-feeling ends. Clarifying usually does the trick when that happens, though.

ktani
March 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Absolutely yes. Like anything else you can overload the hair. If not washed out, depending on the kind of oil, you get oily residue. It the oil is a drying oil, you most likely need to clarify.

Overloading hair with oil at best can make it heavy, greasy and limp and at worst, with drying oils, contribute to build-up along with other product residue that can make hair brittle, if not clarified out.

curlsgalore
March 17th, 2012, 09:40 PM
My hair loves oils! I have been oiling about twice a week (heavy oilings) and I use oil as a leave in every time I wash (every other day) for a while now...with no problems whatsoever. So, yes it depends on an individuals hair. I know this would not work for everyone....and I use an oil shampoo too!