PDA

View Full Version : Do you damp bun?

ravenheather
March 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Do you often damp bun? If you do what toys do you use? How long does it take hair to dry up?

healormor
March 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I typically don't, because my hair will still be damp when I put it down 12 hours later. I will sometimes put it up damp though, just for a bit, if I want it out of the way to do dishes or something. A metal fork is my preference then.

MaryRose
March 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I usually take showers early so my hair will be dry before bed. If I have taken a shower right before bed then I will damp bun. I use five bobby pins that keep my hair in place all night. My hair is still damp when I wake the next morning but it drys quickly and behaves nicely the rest of the day. I have BSL hair with APL layers.

Amber_Maiden
March 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I use a metal hair fork, but I don't damp bun often. I usually just leave it down and let it dry.

kme81
March 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I almost never damp bun because:
1) my hair would take until the next washing to dry
2) my hair is way more manageable dry

If I ever do damp bun, it is more like damp hairstyle because it means that I have to go somewhere where an updo is more appropriate. I use a variety of tools because they have to match the tone of my outfit.

Arya
March 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I damp bun almost every time I get out of the shower. The secret is to take it down and put it up several times so it dries nicely into ringlets, and to only damp bun it when it's damp, not wet.

Fipps
March 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Yes. My hair looks a bit neater if it's damp when I put it up. I use acrylic sticks, and it's damp when I take it out at night. I let it dry a couple hours, then braid it for bed.

jennescence
March 16th, 2012, 08:52 PM
My hair feels a lot softer and less frizzy when i damp bun.

zombi
March 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Absolutely. My hair's really thin though, I never have a problem with it drying. And I do take it down and put it back up a couple times if I want a certain "shape" to it.

I use spin pins mostly

Deborah
March 16th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I do if I'm in too much of a hurry to let my hair hang to dry. When I take it down at the end of the day, it's still not dry, but it will dry overnight, so I don't worry about it.

Lissandria
March 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Unless I am wearing my hair curly (in which case I let it dry down and naturally) I damp bun. I have an acrylic Ketylo specifically for the purpose of damp/wet bunning. My hair will take a long time to dry,8+ hours this way, but as jennescence said it helps keep your hair soft and moisturised and less frizzy. I don't live in a cold climate so I guess that helps.

Mommyof4
March 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I do, but I don't like the way my hair feels the next day.. My updo looks better when its damp though :)

pepperminttea
March 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Do you often damp bun?

After every wash. If I wash my hair at night, I damp braid it instead, and then let it down to dry in the morning.

If you do what toys do you use?

Metal, dymondwood, acrylic, or corian sticks and forks. Occasionally a Ficcare, but I worry about using them because they're so expensive. :o

How long does it take hair to dry up?

It kinda never does for me. The hair next to my scalp does, but the bun stays damp for literally days. What I normally do if I wash my hair in the morning is damp bun it during the day, and then let it down to dry when I get home in the evening. :)

bunzfan
March 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I damp bun but like everyone else has said it works the best on damp not wet hair otherwise i spend most of the day feeling cold. I mostly use metal forks or acrylics sticks .

Mina17
March 17th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I damp bun quite often since I wash my hair in the morning. On the days I work there's not enough time to let it air dry down. I use acrylic, dymondwood, or metal. When I get home in the evening I take it down to let it finish drying.

QMacrocarpa
March 17th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Only briefly, to do some chore I want my hair out of the way for. I usually use a plastic clip. My hair won't dry while it's up, and I hate having it sitting there damp. In cold weather it feels clammy, and in hot weather it gives that extra hideous kick to the humidity. The delightful St. Louis climate.

einna
March 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Maybe once or twice a month, more often in summertime. I usually only do it for a while, though, as my hair takes a while to dry. I use an acrylic hairstick. It is good to get some moisture to my ends, they usually get dry first.

Purdy Bear
March 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I only ever made that mistake once, when I was running a little late to catch the train for work. I put it into a braided bun and it was wet for 24 hours. The next morning I took it down and had to use the hair drier on it. : (

Now I dont have that problem not having hair.

bumblebums
March 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I damp-bun almost every time I wash my hair (so once or twice a week), because it looks better afterward than if I let it down to air-dry.

The accessories I use: bone hairsticks, a hairpin/fork made out of a bent knitting pin, or occasionally wood Ketylo sticks. The instructions that came with the Ketylos said it was okay to use them on damp hair, so I do, and they are holding up great.

Drying time: the hair in the bun itself is still damp when I take it down, so I braid it in the evening, and by the time I wake up the next day, it's dry.

Avital88
March 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM
my hair looks horrible if i do that

Silverbrumby
March 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I damp bun not wet. Also take it out and move bun a little, plus let it do the finsl dry off :just' before it finally dries

racrane
March 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I do! I damp bun after a shower and the bun lasts for two days. Then for the last day, I have it in a braid. Then I'll shower after that day. I've got my hair down to a science. It might get boring, but I like just forgetting about it. Plus, I get super nice curls if I happen to want a nice hairstyle. But overall, my hair likes being damp and because my hair is thin, I can get away with it. :)

I forgot to add, I use spin pins. They work amazing for me!

Libbylou
March 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I have no choice on work days, I shower in the evening and go to bed about an hour afterwards. After 7 hours or so it is still damp(only SL hair). I use one sort of medium claw clip to hold it in place at night.

Sillage
March 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I never damp bun since it always feels unappealing to me. Don't know why that is exactly :rolling:

Hollyfire3
March 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I never damp bun since it always feels unappealing to me. Don't know why that is exactly :rolling:

I don't like it either, it takes FOREVER to dry and looks bad on me

Maelyssa
March 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Damp burning works so wekpll for me, especially to help keep me cool in the hot summer months. I hope to get some metal forks to secure the buns when I can one day afford them but for years the good old claw clip has been great.

Carrie Ingalls
March 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I damp bun all the time after a shower. In fact recently I have not been letting my hair dry down almost at all, which means that it is often still quite wet (just barely not dripping) when I put it up. My Tangle Teezer helps me get it looking really smooth and slick. I usually put it up in a (failed) figure eight, most recently I've been using my two prong ketylo hair fork (dymondwood) and a long ketylo hair stick (acrylic).

I usually wash my hair at night and it is still very wet in the morning (I have to make sure to dry my pillow or it will mold because it gets so wet), my hair will stay wet for a couple days if I don't take it down.

Last week I washed my hair Thursday night and didn't take my hair down until Tuesday (started wearing a Buff Sunday afternoon). I find that I can get away with this because I use a satin sleep cap at night so it stays pretty smooth looking.

Vanilla
March 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I damp bun about once a week. It makes my hair form great bun waves and it's tolerable to wear it down then. I also take my bun down a few times and let it dry a bit then put it back up.

I use spin pins or my new fakkare to put my hair up in a cinnabun.

Firefly
March 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I used to damp bun all the time, but it doesn't really do much for me. In fact, if anything it tends to make my ends look wonky! I still do it once in a while, in the summer, when I want to keep my hair damp (and thus my body cool) for as long as possible. When I do I use those acrylic goody pins.

jacqueline101
March 17th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I bun my hair when its damp. I use scrunch that's my toy.

Stagecoach
March 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I damp bun twice a week. I shower in the mornings, so I put my hair up while it is still wet, and leave it in a cinna bun all day. At night, it comes down, gets combed and braided. In the morning it's usually still alittle damp but dries quickly.

rainbowslinky
March 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I do when I'm in a hurry to get to work (which is frequently). My hair's always wet when I take it down, though, so I tend to take it out and redo it several times throughout the day just to let it breathe a bit.

torrilin
March 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I don't do a lot of actual damp bunning. I happily put my hair up wet, usually with pins or claw clips. Or ponytail holders if I'm braiding.

Yes, it takes forever to dry. That's fine. Better to get my hair up and out of the way. Once my scalp hair dries I don't have problems feeling cold. Plus in hot weather, it's nice having extra evaporative cooling from my wet hair.

My hair dries about the same whether I put it up wet or leave it down to dry. Wet is more convenient tho.

Miss Catrina
March 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I used spin pins for a while after every shower when my hair was long.

RitaPG
March 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I damp bun and use either metal or plastic hairsticks. I find that my buns look really slick and less frizzy that way. It also gives my hair some nice waves and body when I wear it down, and it feels softer (maybe because it holds moisture for longer?)
Usually it doesn't take too long to dry, the trick is to bun it only when it's lightly damp and not dripping wet.

jeanniet
March 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I prefer to leave my hair down while it dries, but if I have to leave the house I do bun it (with a LadyIdun acrylic stick). I do like to spray my hair down with water at night and let it be damp overnight; that seems to add some moisture and make my hair feel nice and soft.

gthlvrmx
March 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I find too many kinks in my hair if i damp bun and my buns look too small so i wait until it's dry. It feels nice to damp bun sometimes but other times, it just feels strange. 2 hours waiting for my hair to dry (or less if i walk in the sunlight) isn't really a long time for me so that i can put my hair up. I just air dry, comb it up, bun it (like a top bun), and im good for until the next week.

BlueMuse
March 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I damp or wet bun a lot since it's easier to get a tight, smooth bun for me a lot of the time (and I have no patience for dry time after a wash). It won't dry all day, but it will dry when I put it down for the night. I usually use metal, bone, plastic, or lacquered chopsticks when my hair is wet. I used to use some wood sticks, but they started warping so they're dry bun only now. I used to only be able to bun wet, but I've gotten better with buns so I do put it up dry now too about every other day.

Melisande
March 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I'm a fan of damp bunning. I love the feeling and I love how it makes my hair look.

I use a ficcare or metal sticks or an acrylic fork. The bun stays put - my dry buns always keep slipping away into nothingness, but wet or damp buns are very stable.

On hot days, the cool wet hair keeps me alive. In winter, I let it airdry a bit before bunning. Sometimes I put a warm towel over the hair and bun it when there's only a bit of dampness left.

It's good for my ends.