PDA

View Full Version : My First Hairdresser Experience with Longer Hair (For Me)

selenir
March 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I went to a hair salon earlier this month ever since I grew my hair to chin length and I'm sharing my experience to compare with others. The reason I'm finding my experience so peculiar is that it seemed much different from what other people have been sharing.

First, a simple explanation of what my hair was like before going to the salon. My hair was and still is relatively straight, and some of the ends of my hair were curling since I had gone so long without having my hair cut. The hair on the back of my hair was considerably longer than the sides since that's how my previous hairstyle was before I grew it out. Now, the story roughly goes as follows.

I went to the salon (rather nervously), and the hairstylist invites me in. He asks me what I was here for, and I tell him that I came for my hair, but I'm not sure what I really want. He washes my hair with shampoo and then finishes with conditioner. The interesting thing I found is that he did it very gently (more than me :/). Another point of interest is that I believe he lost control of the water (shower head? I didn't get a good look at it) and let out a loud curse. Luckily only a little bit of water got on me, but on hindsight, I'm not sure about him.

Then onto the haircutting. I was worried that I was going to have my hair butchered since it's not common that men have longer hair. I roughly informed him that I wanted my hair cut but had no idea where to start (obviously not the best idea) and I guess he could tell that I didn't want to cut down my hair a lot. Given my indecision, he had to make a few of the choices by himself. However, he trimmed the some of the ends since they were started to curl, thinned it (I didn't ask him to, nor did he ask me, but since I didn't really give him a good idea of what I wanted, I don't think it was the hairdresser fault.) and asked me specifically how much of the back I wanted to cut.

Somehow, I managed to get through all that cutting ending up satistfied. He used a blow dryer to dry my hair, but holding it a considerable distance away and at a low heat. My hair was left slightly moist; it wasn't completely dried.

In general, he was quite polite despite the washing incident. I paid the fee for the haircut and left him a 5 dollar tip.

I'm not sure, since this was my first time at a hair salon that I actually cared about my hair, how the hairdresser was compared to others and if I may actually be exaggerating, seeing as how I haven't had much experience. That said, what I'm curious about is that the stories that I've seen from lurking the forums is that hairdressers can sometimes be quite the opposite of what happened to me that day. Am I thinking too highly of this hairdresser or have I landed myself a quality one?

Amber_Maiden
March 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
hmmm... Well, you did go and not tell him anything, so it was rathe rice of him to not cut much off.

The cursing was a bit unprofessional.

The hair dryer- it's good that he kept it a distance.

jacqueline101
March 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The experience I'm glad was good for you. I do agree he shouldn't curse.

PixxieStix
March 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
If you left satisfied with not too much hair cut off, even despite the more or less free reign you gave him, I think you landed a keeper. I'd go back when you are ready for your next trim,and with a little more guidance on your part, you may just have found someone you can trust your long locks too for years to come. :)

HintOfMint
March 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a good, conservative hairdresser. Keep an eye out for when you get to longer lengths and it becomes more important that they follow directions. At that length, a trim will only take you so short and most women don't want to go THAT short. At longer lengths, 3 inches may not seem like a lot to a hairdresser but to someone actively growing their hair, that could be six month's growth!

As for the swearing, it's not really a big deal to me. It's a fairly relaxed environment, so I wouldn't be bothered. It's a word, not murder. :)

hototogisu
March 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I'm more worried that he left you with damp hair! Since I never heat style my hair myself, I love that big lovely professional blow out.

One question - why did you go to a hairdresser when you weren't sure what you wanted done? If you're growing your hair out then you must have had some idea of what you wanted him to do (trim, reshape, bring up the back for a blunt hemline etc). I just know that when I get my twice annual haircut I have a laundry list of dos and do nots, and I'm lucky that my guy is very patient with that.

heidi w.
March 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I take it you're a guy -- and a new member?

Well, then, WELCOME! We have a few long-haired dudes on here, but they're a fairly quiet bunch. Which is unfortunate.

Sounds to me that you had a positive experience. As time goes forward, you'll come to know what you want your hair to be like and become in terms of length. I'd say this hairdresser is a keeper, so long as you can communicate and work with him.

I'm glad you liked the outcome.
heidi w.

selenir
March 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I take it you're a guy -- and a new member?

Well, then, WELCOME! We have a few long-haired dudes on here, but they're a fairly quiet bunch. Which is unfortunate.

Sounds to me that you had a positive experience. As time goes forward, you'll come to know what you want your hair to be like and become in terms of length. I'd say this hairdresser is a keeper, so long as you can communicate and work with him.

I'm glad you liked the outcome.
heidi w.

Yep, I'm a guy. I'm probably going to practise taking care of my chin length hair before growing it any longer though, since if I can't take care of it at this length, then I won't be able to with longer hair...

The cursing was a bit unprofessional.

I imagine if he got himself quite wet or got me quite wet, I'm sure any hairdresser might not be too happy.

I'm more worried that he left you with damp hair! Since I never heat style my hair myself, I love that big lovely professional blow out.

One question - why did you go to a hairdresser when you weren't sure what you wanted done? If you're growing your hair out then you must have had some idea of what you wanted him to do (trim, reshape, bring up the back for a blunt hemline etc). I just know that when I get my twice annual haircut I have a laundry list of dos and do nots, and I'm lucky that my guy is very patient with that.

I suppose I did have an idea of what I wanted to do, but to be honest, I'm not that great with people. I had a small idea of what I wanted to do, like have the back cut to the sameish length as my sides and dechaos the ends, but wanted to ask for some advice on what I should do. That never really worked out as I hoped though :p

A final question; I introduced myself to him and him to me. I offered my compliments and I take it that he appreciates it and now remembers me. I don't plan on having my hair done again any time soon, but I feel a bit uncomfortable about leaving him for, say (I don't really know) four months, for the next time I come by. I know that, for me, after four months, I would definitely have trouble remembering clients. To get to the point, I suppose my question is if it is not odd to be coming in every so and so months and expecting that your hairdresser remembers you.

Mountaingrrl
March 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'd reintroduce myself, say I had a haircut with you four months ago, and not assume he remembers anything about you or your hair.