PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain - from Updo's

Artsygirl71
March 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hi there,

I am a long hair who does not know how to do a french braid, dutch braid on myself or anyone else for that matter. I can basically do an english braid......(side braid). I do want to learn, but I find that when I spend a lot of time on an updo....my lower back starts to hurt. The updo styles I do on myself have to be created quickly (buns & twists). Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone suggest exercises or stretches I can do to alleviate the pain?

Thx:confused:

coastalnicole
March 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Where does your back hurt exactly? Are you physically active/working out? What is your posture when you try doing your hair?

Maybe you could try working out to strengthen your core muscles...maybe pilates or the like?

Aliped
March 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Are you standing when braiding? Then you should try sitting. When I get lower back pain when doing a standing activity, it helps if I place one foot on a step of some sort (made by a dictionary or something similar). That's just me though. I have to sit on a stool to braid...

RapunzelKat
March 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have this issue as well, especially when doing styles that I only do occasionally. In my case, I have a tendency to lean back (I guess I think my hair will be closer to my hands that way? :) ) I wind up with a sore, compressed lower back and sore elbows. I would definitely recommend sitting while braiding, or taking breaks while braiding to be sure you are standing up straight.

Also, it will get better with practice! ;) The more I do any particular style, the easier and more comfortable it gets, since you will learn comfortable, relaxed ways to stand and hold your hair. :)

spidermom
March 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
There's an exercise when you stretch out on the floor, arms out in front, then you raise your right arm and your left leg as high as you can, hold to a count of 5 or 10, then the other sides. Repeat 10-12 times.

Also, you can try the same stretch/lift from a position of hands and knees. Try to stay in a squared off position, don't tilt to one side of the other (which is the natural tendency).

I also second the idea of varying your position. If you're tired while standing, sit down. You shouldn't watch yourself while braiding anyway. It's best done by feel.

Artsygirl71
March 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you all for the tips. :)

white.chocolate
March 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yes, that happens to me but only when I'm standing really really stiff, which occurs when I'm doing a couple of braids. Giving short breaks and changing the position when braiding helps. I wouldn't have this problem if only I could switch the braid over my shoulder at an earlier point, but I haven't fully mastered having the braid not twisted at the point where I switched.

melusine963
March 17th, 2012, 02:31 AM
It always takes me forever to learn to do a new style neatly and efficiently. Practice is the only advice I can give (and sitting down).

Bagginslover
March 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Sitting definitely helps my back, but it makes my elbows hurt instead, so I have to swap between the 2 :p My body is definitely old before its time though, so that is just me.

Have you tried putting your mirror lower down so you can round your back rather than arching it? Even putting it angled at floor level?

Blandine
March 17th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I do braids sitting in a desk chair with reclining back, so I have space to move hands and hair but my back and shoulders are supported. Works well.

CareBear
March 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I do the "braid sway" where I shift my weight from foot to foot as I am doing my hair. I think this helps prevent over arching or leaning back too much. But I feel your pain!! :)

SunlightShines
March 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Core exercises are great! I'm getting mine while I'm on LHC. I use my stability ball for a chair and bounce around a little or balance with my feet off the floor or whatever just comes to mind. I keep my ball in the livingroom so it's become part of the furniture. My son & his friends have gotten into the habit of using it too!