PDA

View Full Version : Tease and run!

HintOfMint
March 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I decided to get my hair blown out for a formal yesterday, and I allow myself heat every once in a while as a treat. I wasn't concerned about that.

I was NOT prepared for the teasing! This was a different hairstylist than I had before and the old one responded to my request for volume with some hairspray and using rollers to lift it up at the roots.

This one whips out a small BBB and, like lightning, teases the back section of my hair! It was three quick strokes, I didn't have time to stop her. Fortunately, it was just that one section and it wasn't too much, but still. I'm worried that my hair is going to start breaking off at the roots in that section and I'll have to start over with a pixie.

I've read that teasing can destroy healthy hair in a matter of seconds and I'm worried that I've blown it.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I decided to get my hair blown out for a formal yesterday, and I allow myself heat every once in a while as a treat. I wasn't concerned about that.

I was NOT prepared for the teasing! This was a different hairstylist than I had before and the old one responded to my request for volume with some hairspray and using rollers to lift it up at the roots.

This one whips out a small BBB and, like lightning, teases the back section of my hair! It was three quick strokes, I didn't have time to stop her. Fortunately, it was just that one section and it wasn't too much, but still. I'm worried that my hair is going to start breaking off at the roots in that section and I'll have to start over with a pixie.

I've read that teasing can destroy healthy hair in a matter of seconds and I'm worried that I've blown it.

Generally, if one does a given no-no procedure just once or less than a handful of times per year, there usually isn't a whole lot to worry about.

I'm surprised she teased with a BBB? That's a bit unusual, to me. Are you sure it was a BBB?

I've seen teasing with a brush and a comb, but never a BBB.

heidi w.

Beckstar
March 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Shudder at the tought of teasing. I've had a few hairdressers wash my hair over the past year. Some would pull out a comb and start to comb it while wet and not with any conditioner either. I was so freaked out that I thought my hair was ruined. But it's not. I did have a little bit of breakage but I have so many hairs that it really doesn't show up.

RapunzelKat
March 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Ouch! I'm so sorry she surprised you with that! :bigeyes: If you detangle the teased section gently, it should be fine :) From what I understand, a lot of the damage from teasing occurs from breakage from detangling the teased section too roughly. Use lots and lots of your favorite conditioner, detangler, or oil, and comb the teased part out slowly. :)

I have had my hair teased in the past and lost a few hairs to breakage while detangling, but never enough to be noticeable.

Amber_Maiden
March 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Don't worry, your hair isn't wrecked by doing it once. I had my hair handled very roughly the last gig I modelled for, and they teased my hair. Your hair will be ok.

I doubt, highly doubt, she used a BBB.

kidari
March 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I only stopped teasing my hair maybe 3-4 months ago. Until then I used to do it every other day. I had shorter layers in the top sections though, so it has almost all grown out by now. I would say it wouldn't really matter at all if you only had it done once. You also said she only did one section in a few short strokes. Just make sure to carefully undo it after washing.

PixxieStix
March 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
The sort of things we more or less collectively gasp a little at around here are not necessarily all that bad every now and then, but over time have shown to create a lot of damage, but your hair will be just fine. I hope you got to enjoy your hair instead of worrying the entire time that it was going to all break off. :)

Macaroni
March 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Have you combed out the teasing yet? If not, comb gently starting at the end and then working your way to the root. Do this before your shampoo or co.

Covet
March 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I saw a girl in my university's bathrooms (yeah classy) teasing her friend's hair as she knelt on the floor :/ I couldn't even look! Just detangle extremely gently, perhaps soak it in conditioner and then go from there? Conditioner always helps me detangle everything but I'm not sure of your routine.

MaKenna90
March 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM
For my cousin's wedding I got my hair done, and the stylist teased the front of my hair with a BBB. Ive seen them in Walmart before too. Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Beauty-Bristle-Teasing-Brush/dp/B000E7R5IE

HintOfMint
March 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
For my cousin's wedding I got my hair done, and the stylist teased the front of my hair with a BBB. Ive seen them in Walmart before too. Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Beauty-Bristle-Teasing-Brush/dp/B000E7R5IE

That's what it was! Haha, I swear I'm not crazy or blind, it was indeed exactly this.

There wasn't much to detangle since she didn't drag the brush down the entire length or even a large chunk of the length, just a few short taps at just the roots. It was enough to give some lift, so I figured it was from the cuticle standing on end. That's mainly what I was worried about, the cuticle being shoved against the grain, resulting in irreversible damage, leading to breakage at the roots.

I guess I'm overreacting. Maybe. I still need to do penance for my hair, what with all the tangles at my nape for having it down and dancing like a crazy person all night.