PDA

View Full Version : Adding A Ribbon To A Braid

UP Lisa
March 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hi. I've seen some beautiful braids with ribbons here, and I'm wondering how you start the braid. How do you attache the ribbon at the beginning of the braid?

Madora
March 16th, 2012, 07:31 AM
This video tutorial may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUPs4DUIWs

For a simple braid, I just tie the ribbon around the base of the braid, and use it for the center section and braid as usual.

UP Lisa
March 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Great. Thank you.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
First, the measurement of a ribbon to weave into the hair or a braid needs to be approximately twice to three times as long as one's hair. Then I start by tying the ribbon to the circumference of the ponytail, or if I'm doing 3 ribbons, tie to each section of hair at the top. I try to ensure the knot of the ribbon is under the hair section.

When I weave a ribbon in, I also make sure that the side of the ribbon I want showing is face up. I'll check every weave of the braid to make sure the ribbon is "sunny side up". Ribbons do, often, have a wrong and right side. I use the shinier side as the "up" side.

The video at the top doesn't show very clearly how she gets the ribbon in to her hair in my opinion. I see a lot of fast finger movement, but I can't even see the placement of the ribbon or ornament over the top of her head. Her videos are usually pretty good yet not great.
I'd say the woman could slow down.

Know that a ribbon can be woven into hair, or wrapped around the hair, such as the outside of a braid or twisted hair. This ribbon wrapped around may need some pinning a little bit because this kind of ribboning of the hair can fall out or become loose over the coarse of a day.

heidi w.

UP Lisa
March 22nd, 2012, 07:23 AM
Thank you so much, Heidi. Forgot to reply to this sooner.

Patty lou
March 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
The Video by Torrin Skyrim Inspired Christmas Hair.

I wrote her and she said she added the ribbon to the 2 outer sections to make the ribbon show up more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wJ32M9PzQ

Pattylou

spidermom
March 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
I usually start a ribbon as the 2 outer strands in a french or dutch braid and pick up hair to add as I go.