PDA

View Full Version : Humecant query

Cyetra
March 16th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I know there is alway the caveat, with a traditional or natural humecant, that in exceedingly dry weather conditions it can strip hair of moisture instead of provide it.

I would like to know, though, if that applies *after evaporation* if it was applied with water originally.

So, for eg, if you have an aloe/water mix in a spray bottle and apply it to the hair, that should work to moisturise as at that moment the water is there.

If that is used as a leave in, though, the hair eventually will dry off, presumably leaving behind aloe traces. If you are in dry climate, is the risk of 'stripping' water still present at that time?

i.e once chemically bonded with water [as on application in this eg] does it remain chemically altered or will it revert and therefore risk stripping the hair down the line?

I hope that makes sense of the question.

Thanks!

hmmruka
March 16th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I don't know for sure but I want to say yes it would revert.

ravenreed
March 16th, 2012, 03:54 AM
If I apply a humectant to soaking wet hair, I will end up with massive split ends a few days later. Worse, even if I rinse the product out very well, I still get horrible splits, so I have to pay attention to my conditioners too. Glycerin and aloe vera gel both do this.