PDA

View Full Version : I tried hair wrapping! And it worked!

kmarie99
March 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Bragging time...haha
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h321/Kayla_Herrera/1d549436.jpg?t=1331856303
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h321/Kayla_Herrera/c4779631.jpg?t=1331856662

Hair wrapping is awesome. Although I do have a bit of a question... how damaging do you think it is to comb hair while wet and pull it in the same direction continuously? I don't want to destroy my hair.
My hair is naturally very wavy/curly (it's curlier than my siggy pic, I have it brushed and oiled there).
I put some baby oil, coconut oil, and leave in conditioner on my hair before wrapping it and putting a scarf over it to keep in in place. Works great!
I discovered how uneven my hemline is from this though. Yikes!!!
here is a video on how to wrap hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWJ-FdvK1U&feature=related

littleizz
March 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I've tried wrapping before! Yours definitely turned out better than mine, though :D In my opinion you're not going to hurt your hair unless you're aggressively combing and pulling to the extent that you're ripping hair or pulling really tightly at the scalp, and I'm not sure you can even do the last one with wrapping.

OrganicJewel
March 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
It looks great! I don't think it's going to hurt your hair much unless it's already heat or chemically damaged.

kmarie99
March 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM
It looks great! I don't think it's going to hurt your hair much unless it's already heat or chemically damaged.

Unfortunately my hair is. The darker part by the roots is healthy though! I'm going to try to do this to help me avoid going out and buying a new straightener. Mine broke a few months ago and I decided that would be the start of quitting heat styling.

kitcatsmeow
March 16th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I do this too and I can get my hair PIN STRAIGHT. I wait until my hair is dry or 95% dry then brush it out to help start the straightening and then wait until it's 98% dry to wrap. If I have to, I mist it with water. I wouldn't do all that brushing when it's wet because like you said...damaging. Anyway I bobby pin it in place then and my secret is....I cut the legs off a pair of silk tights and tied the "nubs" together to make a cap. I put that on over my wrapped hair.
I find this gives me so much more compression then just covering it with a scarf which really takes the wrapping to another level. Before when I tried with just a scarf it didn't work at all on my wild waves.
So...Then I wiggle the pins out gently, otherwise I'll get little dents. Last, I put my silk bandanna over that and, Volia! It's very secure and comfy.

littleizz
March 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I do this too and I can get my hair PIN STRAIGHT. I wait until my hair is dry or 95% dry then brush it out to help start the straightening and then wait until it's 98% dry to wrap. If I have to, I mist it with water. I wouldn't do all that brushing when it's wet because like you said...damaging. Anyway I bobby pin it in place then and my secret is....I cut the legs off a pair of silk tights and tied the "nubs" together to make a cap. I put that on over my wrapped hair.
I find this gives me so much more compression then just covering it with a scarf which really takes the wrapping to another level. Before when I tried with just a scarf it didn't work at all on my wild waves.
So...Then I wiggle the pins out gently, otherwise I'll get little dents. Last, I put my silk bandanna over that and, Volia! It's very secure and comfy....That sounds brilliant!!! I absolutely have to try this!!

kmarie99
March 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
So...Then I wiggle the pins out gently, otherwise I'll get little dents. Last, I put my silk bandanna over that and, Volia! It's very secure and comfy.

You are a genius. I'll try this, I'd love to be able to get pin straight hair naturally.

kitcatsmeow
March 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
If you girls try it, let me know if it works for you and take some pics if you can :)

DuckyDot
March 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Oh! I must try this! I attempted hair-wrapping before, but this gives me inspiration to try again! :D

proo
March 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I do my initial wrap with saran wrap, wriggle the pins out, place the silky scarf firmly over all that;
then (this is the magic part) I twirl the whole thing around my head a couple of times in the direction of the wrap.
Really smooths it out and "sets" it.

littleizz
March 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Question for those who have done this successfully... How do you keep the hair on the "up" side of your head from sticking straight up in the air? The one time I tried wrapping it worked alright, considering I lost my scarf at some point during the night, but because of the circular wrap, one side of my head had crazy up-in-the-air volume and the other side was relatively flat. What am I missing?

proo
March 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
It helps if you wrap both ways, first the one direction, then the other;
it's time-consuming, but it works the even the wrap out.

Firefly
March 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I *love* hair wrapping! The few times I've done it I've been able to achieve the kind of straight hair I previously was only able to get from blowing out. (I have a picture in my album, if anyone's interested). Amazing! I use a comb instead of a brush, so I really don't think I'm doing much damage. The problem is, it's been much more difficult to do the longer my hair gets. :?

kmarie99
March 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Question for those who have done this successfully... How do you keep the hair on the "up" side of your head from sticking straight up in the air? The one time I tried wrapping it worked alright, considering I lost my scarf at some point during the night, but because of the circular wrap, one side of my head had crazy up-in-the-air volume and the other side was relatively flat. What am I missing?

I've heard wrapping in one direction until your hair is 50% dry, then switching the direction gets it more straight. You could try that.
My "up" side was thinner than the other side to begin with because of my part so it just evened it out I think