PDA

View Full Version : dry shampoo for dark hair?

snakesandmonkey
March 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi!
I have long, very thick, kinda wavy hair. I am just starting to wear it down. I have noticed that the longer I leave it between washings, even just conditioner washings, the better it looks. Really it looks the best like week three. Now I am perfectly ok and not yucked out by not washing my hair that long but I also don't want to yuck out the people around me and after the first week there is a smell issue. I have been dry shampooing with baby powder, which definitely helps with the smell. The thing is, the amount of baby powder I have to put in my hair to soak up the grease means that I end up looking prematurely grey, even after vigorous brushing. Anybody else have an extended no wash period? How do you deal with it?
thanks for reading my long assed post

mora
March 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
You could try cocoa powder instead of, or mixed with, the baby powder as a dry shampoo.

Annibelle
March 15th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, let's hope Madora pipes up. I think she shampoos monthly, though I'm not sure if she does WO in the meantime. :)

ETA: And she has lovely dark hair, so she might have some advice that would help you!

Helix
March 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
My hair is quite dark and I like ORS herbal cleanse latherless shampoo when my hair has been twisted/mini-ropebraided, (I alternate. Somedays I shampoo/co-wash, and other days I'll use this so my twists stay neater, longer).

It's a little different from your regular "dry shampoo" in that it is not a powder but in liquid form. I apply it directly to my scalp, (very easy to do with the applicator bottle when my hair's in mini twists) massage it a bit then use a warm, damp, clean towel to wipe it off. Does a great job of removing dirt and natural oils for me anyway.

It smells like lavender and basil, so if you don't mind those herbal scents you might like it.

summergreen
March 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Batiste make a dry shampoo for brunettes.

LocustSpawning
March 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I use the regular Batiste dry shampoo. I have black hair. I don't use the one especially for dark hair (it's white) and it doesn't appear grayish at all if you brush it out properly, it just dissappears

Covet
March 16th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Batiste make a dry shampoo for brunettes.

^^^ this! I find it smells quite chocolatey but I couldn't really use it properly because I'm a curly and I don't brush my hair when it's dry. I was hoping to use it extremely sparingly but it didn't work out for me that way.

pink.sara
June 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I use cocoa powder mixed 50/50 with cornstarch or riceflour as they are superfine and stop the cocoa clumping and turning sticky which it can do.

Failing that I have used Batiste, and agree even on my blackest black hair it was fine if I gave it a good brush or a shake after using. The brunette one is actually quite nice.

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I make sure to use UNSWEETENED cocoa powder. I massage it into my roots at the top and then brush it out with a boar bristle brush. Then I take a paper towel and wipe at it some more to get some more out and get rid of any brown stain on the scalp.

I've actually gotten a lot of compliments on my hair after I've done this. If it is a good enough friend, I'll respond, "thanks, it's dirty as f***.":)

~honeyflower~
June 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hmmm I am going to keep an eye on this thread, there are days such as today where the wind gusts up and dust gets everywhere.

PolarCathy
June 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I tried cocoa a couple of times and all I can achieve is cocoa under my nails all day long (can't remove it from my scalp). Disgusting.