PDA

View Full Version : Grapeseed Oil = Heat Protectant?

iloveyourstory
March 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
What do you guys think about tusing grapeseed oil as a heat preotectant? I don't use heat on my hair very often, I like to keep it silicone and sulfate free. Everytime I want to use heat, I have to use argan oil (which has dimethicone) and then use a sulfate clarifyer to get it out. I've read that grapeseed oil protects up to 400 degrees.

mzBANGBANG
March 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've heard of the argan oil acting as a heat protectant, but never tried the grapeseed oil... though there seems to be a lot of online evidence through a basic google search that suggests it would work. I wouldn't use it at 400 degrees though, I don't think anything really protects that much. When I get home I'll have to check out my array of heat protectants and see if any of them list this as an ingredient. Wish I could be more helpful!

MegaMystery
March 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I don't know how oils would be as a heat protectant. I have always been very reluctant to use oils on my hair before using heat, because i get the idea of deep-fried hair.
The idea of boiling hot oil in my hair as a heat protectant just doesn't seem plausible to me, so i never tried it. But if it works it's great :)

Littlewing13
March 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah I'd love to know too. I use grapeseed everyday as my detangler & im loving it! its so light & slippy.

fridgee
March 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I don't know how oils would be as a heat protectant. I have always been very reluctant to use oils on my hair before using heat, because i get the idea of deep-fried hair.
The idea of boiling hot oil in my hair as a heat protectant just doesn't seem plausible to me, so i never tried it. But if it works it's great :)

This is how I feel too! Would love it if it did actually work tho!

coneyisland
March 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
That temperature -- 400 degrees -- is nearly its smoke point. Up to its smoke point, it is fine for frying stuff.

Sillage
March 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM
That temperature -- 400 degrees -- is nearly its smoke point. Up to its smoke point, it is fine for frying stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/Nsou9.jpg

iloveyourstory
March 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
People are frying their hair no matter what. Silicone or no, your hair is being fried and damaged each time you use a hot tool. I'm just trying to find a more natural way to limit the damage, and not use a ton of silicones in the process.

Grapeseed oil has a high smoke point of 421 degrees F. I have my flat iron at 340 degrees F. It seems alright to me, since I rarely use heating tools.

ktani
March 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Grapeseed oil is a drying oil, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190 which polymerizes and can need clarifying to remove. I would use something else.

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
You can get pure argan oil without the silicone (though it is expensive), but ultimately nothing is going to fully protect your hair from temperatures that high. If heat-styling is something you're absolutely set on, you may just have to accept that it'll cause damage, and trim more often to keep up with it.

iloveyourstory
March 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
You can get pure argan oil without the silicone (though it is expensive), but ultimately nothing is going to fully protect your hair from temperatures that high. If heat-styling is something you're absolutely set on, you may just have to accept that it'll cause damage, and trim more often to keep up with it.

You're right...but I did just buy argan oil! I hope it will help.