PDA

View Full Version : Five year old gets haircut for the first time..

dementedkitten
March 15th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Thought this article might interest some of you! How beautiful is this kids hair.. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114873/Five-year-old-gets-haircut-time-Rean-Carter-sick-mistaken-girl-demands-chop.html?ICO=most_read_module

Such a pity when kids get bullied for such trivial things though, but children will be children.. And adults will be adults apparently when it comes to the responses/comments at the end of the article.. but never mind, I think he's cute! I hope this doesn't put him off having long hair in the future..

spidermom
March 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
He did have nice hair.

A long time ago, friends had a son with very long hair, and he wore a big pin-on button that said "I am not a girl. I am a boy with long hair."

dementedkitten
March 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Haha.. good for him!

Avital88
March 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
oh so sad he is cutting it, its so beautiful and it gets so light to the ends.. i bet he will regret later

vintage88
March 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
aww such gorgeous hair! Children can be cruel at times, I hope it doesn't put him off growing his hair long again in the future if he wants to.

Amber_Maiden
March 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
It's sad he was bullied to the point where he has to cut it, but I also think it's his choice to have his hair cut and his mother shouldn't stand in the way of what he wants- he says he wants it to be very short, and his mother says she only want a few inches cut off... It's not her hair though!

Snippety
March 15th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My son who is four and a half going on five has wanted longer hair "like a rock star" since he was old enough to notice. He has a jaw length bob with no fringe because his rock hero is Gerard Way :) Despite the fact that he is a real ruffty-tuffty boy with a very masculine taste in clothes and usually some sort of weapon toy about his person he still gets called a girl at least once a week. It doesn't really phase him. We're home schoolers so won't have that issue. I hope he keeps it longer and grows a beard too :D My husband felt he had to cut his his hair to look more "professional" but recently mentioned growing it out a little. I was all :cheese:

joflakes
March 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
My brother did a similar thing. He had long hair until the same age, never cut, and then asked for it to be chopped off as he was mistaken for a girl :(

jeanniet
March 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
My younger son had beautiful curly hair as a toddler and preschooler; it wasn't too long so he was never mistaken for a girl, though. I let him buzz it off for a trip to Mexico when he was 5 and I've been trying to convince him to keep it longer ever since. Now he grows it until it's nice and curly and then (sob) buzzes it off again. It's his hair, so all I can do is take pictures and wait for it to grow again...OK, and beg him to leave it curly. :p He's always playing around with facial hair, too--at 15 he has a better goatee than a lot of men. That I'm less keen on, but mostly because it's a little disturbing when people think your baby is 25!

I do understand where the mother is coming from, but as long as the choice is left up to her son it's all good. It's a real pity he feels like he has to cut it, but maybe at some point he'll want to grow it out again.

holothuroidea
March 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Dawww he's so cute! And very good of him to tell his mother exactly what he wants. :D

I think the bullying issue should be addressed, though. If he likes it and is only getting it cut to fit in, I would be very concerned about that- he should feel like he fits in just they way he is. In the pictures he looks very confident and like he enjoys his hair. So that makes me sad.

I'm really glad I have girls, because I wouldn't want to cut a boys hair and that might cause some of the same issues.

ETA: I will absolutely get any of my babies hair cut if they request it, but I'm going to let it grow if they don't object. :laugh:

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM
It sounds like he was happy with it until the bullying started. Five years old, and he already wants to change his appearance due to peer pressure. That's a depressing thought and a half.

Kyla
March 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I do think it's depressing that he may be cutting it only to fit in, but it's also entirely possible he just didn't care about his hair before, only his mother did. If he really liked it until the bullying, that would be sad, but it is less so if he didn't really care either way. And even if he is doing it to fit in, if he wants it short and spiky I think he should get it, not just a few inches trimmed off.

I don't really know the situation, so I can't really make a judgment about it. :shrug: Lovely hair though.

door72067
March 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I wonder if the girls were also *required* to tie their hair back for "health and safety"?

he looks like a charmer...I hope he doesn't regret the cut as he gets older

auburntressed
March 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I notice the article says he has to keep his hair pulled back in a ponytail in school because it presents a "health and safety hazard." I'd like to know if they enforce such a rule on little girls with long hair. I'm all for keeping children's hair nice and contained in school, but I have never heard long hair called a health and safety hazard. That just sounds stupid to me.

woolyleprechaun
March 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Oh my! Hes sooooo cute! Its a difficult one that I would hate to make judgements on. On the one hand, its not the mothers hair. On the other, it IS very pretty ;)
I cut my sons hair because they ask me to, they can have it any way they want it. I trim my toddlers hair to get out the damaged ends, and a fringe to stop her hair getting in her face (she wont wear it up). If it was fine though, I would leave well alone. Im just slightly jealous of the lads fabuolous head of hair!:D

Mommyof4
March 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Beautiful child, and GORGEOUS hair! Why is it a thing to be bullied about? Plenty of men have long hair.. ugh.. Who could want to say anything negative about that beautiful hair?

ladyfey
March 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Sounds like it the mother's thing, not his and that she has pushed it on him. I find that sad. It also looks very damaged to me, not hard to believe on an active child. I am ancient, but we were not require to have hair tied back at school, we should have been though. I remember my hair getting caught in play equipment at school.

lapushka
March 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sounds like it the mother's thing, not his and that she has pushed it on him.

This. ^^ It's not like a child this young decides to grow his hair out. No, it's the mom's thing. I don't agree with most of you. I think the child's hair is *far* too girly and wild, unkempt (and dangerous loose around a playground and other children). He needs a hair cut at that age. He's at an age where he should fit in, not stand out for reasons beyond him (mommy wants him to have the long hair).

Unicorn
March 15th, 2012, 04:09 PM
When I was at school girls were required to keep longhair tied back. This was mainly (as far as I know) to reduce any transmision of lice.

Unicorn

SunlightShines
March 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
My son was 5 and in kindergarten when he came to me & asked for a haircut. The other kids didn't pick on him but the teachers used to mistake him for a girl and call him Dominique instead of Dominic. Same type of hair cut...army man hair is what he called it! I couldn't watch so his dad took him! He loved his new haircut, but years later he grew it out to almost waist length before he cut it off again. If his hair wasn't so thick & curly he'd probably still have long hair! I've always told him that he can do what he feels like with his looks... as long as it isn't permanent!

cldunzie0215
March 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM
so sad that little boy has such prettier hair than me...:/

cldunzie0215
March 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
speaking of little kids with AMAZING hair...i am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of this little girls hair!!!

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/237001999110391297_xWi4tiNI.jpg

Covet
March 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM
He's so sweet looking and his hair is absolutely beautiful! I understand that his mum might not want him to get a hair cut (mine didn't and actually saved my curls - I don't know if that's weird or not) but at the end of the day if he's going to be happier with shorter hair and have a better time at school then I think he should be able to cut it.

Nedertane
March 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Oh God, that's going to be me whenever I have kids! Lol, I'm kidding. I don't know if it's totally right to say it's something the mother forced on her son. After all, we don't know much about his side of the story BEFORE the bullying. As one person said, it does sound a lot like he wants to change himself because he wants kids to stop being mean to him, which is sad, in my opinion. BUT, if it's something he truly wants, the parents should oblige him. He does have some great looking locks, though.

holothuroidea
March 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
It seems to me that you don't really force hair to grow. She just didn't cut it because she loved it, and he hasn't objected until now so there it is!

I don't see the issue of the mother forcing her will on the child. When he said he wanted it cut she let him do it. It's not wrong or creepy or forceful for a mother to appreciate their children's hair and not want to cut it just because he's a boy.

:twocents:

jeanniet
March 15th, 2012, 10:56 PM
It seems to me that you don't really force hair to grow. She just didn't cut it because she loved it, and he hasn't objected until now so there it is!

I don't see the issue of the mother forcing her will on the child. When he said he wanted it cut she let him do it. It's not wrong or creepy or forceful for a mother to appreciate their children's hair and not want to cut it just because he's a boy.

:twocents:
I agree with you. Young children often go along with what their parents want, so to some extent he might have let it grow to please his mother, but if he really wanted it short before now he would've cut it off himself. I don't see anything controlling in his mother regretting that he's cutting it now; she's still letting him do it. Did I regret it when my son cut off his beautiful little boy curls? Darn right I did. Do I beg him to grow his hair out? Darn right I do. Does he still do what he wants? Unfortunately yes.

Also remember that the media has an interest in presenting a story in a certain way, and what you see isn't always reality.