PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun with no sock?

lmfbs
March 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I saw a girl on the train the other day who had what looked like a rolled sock bun without the sock (smaller, obviously).

I've tried googling but don't seem to be able to find anything. Does anyone know how to do these? Hers was sleek and gorgeous!

rock007junkie
March 15th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I used to do that when my hair was shorter. You basically separate your ponytail into 4 sections. Roll each one outward and pin it down with a bobbypin. Then you spread them out a bit so instead of having 4 rolls they blend and look like a bun.

MissManda
March 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
You make a pin curl bun like this (http://vimeo.com/14688883) and with a few tweaks here and there, you might be able to get it nice and smooth just like a normal sock bun. :)

Darkessa
March 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I did this with a girls hair back in high school like 5 times for a play. Here hair was barely longer than shoulder length, and fine. (These factors made it MUCH easier to do)
Its difficult to put into words... but I can try.

I put it in a ponytail.
I then took about a 1/4 of the tail from the top and looped it around to where the end came back underneath the loop. (Geeze, harder to describe than I thought) I then pinned it down with 2 bobby pins.
I repeated the same step with a 1/4 of each side (left and right).
The bottom (or last) section was always the hardest because getting my fingers in there to pin it was NOT easy while keeping things looking good.
After I got it all pinned, I spread out my loops to form the best looking circle I could. Then hair sprayed the CRAP out of it when I was done.

I might make a video for this... I would TRY on myself, but I can guarantee it would look awful. (I dont have any kind of model to try it on, otherwise I would)

Seeshami
March 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I can kinda get a cinabun to look like that. Well it's a knot cinnabun. I will try to do step by step pictures tonight, unless some one volunteers to help me at bowling.

Edit: the naughty mess album has a picture of my sockless donut bun and a description. I think this may take a video to properly explain.

einna
March 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
My cinnabun looks like that, I think. My hair is not long enough to form more than one coil (yet). Like my avatar. :)

countryhopper
March 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Could it have been an equilibrium bun?

Corylina
March 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I made one like Seeshami described it^^ I put a pic on the hairstyle of the month thread and in my updo album ;)

sonrisa76
March 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
i absolutely love the sock bun :D finally a hairstyle that i can wear with comfort until my hair reaches longer lengths :disco: and i had never heard of such a style until joining LHC.. thanks to everyone here at LHC :grouphug:

Seeshami
March 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I made one like Seeshami described it^^ I put a pic on the hairstyle of the month thread and in my updo album ;)

And it looks great!

jacqueline101
March 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I might try that sounds easy enough.

lmfbs
March 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone. The 4 parted bun wouldn't work, my hair is between BSL and WSL right now. I've just figured out how to do a cinnibun and hold it in place with 1 pin. I'm so proud! Thanks!

Ocelan
March 16th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I think I made sockless sockbun type of hairdo's in my teens for myself or atleast attempted. They went somehow like this:
1. Gather hair in a ponytail using a ponytail holder, mostly I just used a normal thin one (the thicker terry ones kinda even work like socks if needed)
2. Like on a normal sock bun, let the hair fall over the ponytail and fasten the hair tightly around the same spot where you have the ponytai, thus making a tiny sock bun and the ends pointing out in all directions
3. I gathered the hair in aponytai again sort of after the bun bump and tied with a thin ponytail holder, so now I had a bump and a ponytail after it
- Then I repeated steps 2 and 3 as long as I had hair left and the rest I pinned somewhere around the bun. Never thought about braiding the rest which would have probably looked better.

This way takes a lot of ponytail holders and might not be the best when it comes to damage like that, but I just wanted to tell how I used to try this hairstyle when I was younger. Oh the memories, didn't even remember it until now. :)
I think this would work best if you were trying for something like the Little My (http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/12/39632.jpg) hairstyle as it may turn a little long instead of wide.