PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing

DaniVerde
March 15th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I'm just learning how to take care of my curls, but it would be a lot easier if I knew what type they were! If I post a picture, would anyone mind helping? :)

ETA: Well, I'll just post the pic anyway- it was taken yesterday, after CO-washing and air drying with no leave-in conditioner or any other products. Then I went outside and the wind got to it a bit :( Pic is a bit big, and please excuse my charming self in the picture! (Also, the last few cms or so on my ends is the last of a chemical straightening that I had done last July, so they look odd with the rest of my hair)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9875&pictureid=128743

Envari
March 15th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I'm just gonna sit tight and wait for the clever ones to spill the knowledge since I'm as confused as you when it comes to typing wurly-curly hair :bigeyes:

DaniVerde
March 15th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I'm just gonna sit tight and wait for the clever ones to spill the knowledge since I'm as confused as you when it comes to typing wurly-curly hair :bigeyes:

Although the clever ones may be sick and tired of answering these questions! but yup, let's wait and see if the Pillars of LHC Wisdom share their knowledge :D

Terra
March 15th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Here you can find some pictures:
http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-type-guide.html

According to your pic I would rate you as a 2a??

DaniVerde
March 15th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Thank you! :) I may have to get some more pictures (and ones without my hair having been attacked by wind :p) for a better view, I've definitely got corkscrews, (well, half-corkscrews, because they're not long enough to do a full twist yet :p) but not tight ones...it's confusing :(

MonaLisa
March 15th, 2012, 06:00 AM
It looks like it might be 2b :)

Shesta
March 15th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Maybe it is 2b. It's really hard to say at this length however. Do you have a picture from the back?

DaniVerde
March 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Maybe it is 2b. It's really hard to say at this length however. Do you have a picture from the back?

No back pics yet..I think I can try for some in a couple of days. But I was thinking that maybe it's wiser to get rid of all the straightening damage before trying to type my hair?

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Ignoring the last few chemically straightened bits, I'd be tempted to say 2b/2c. :) Do you have any spirals? It's difficult to tell from the angle, but there's definitely a lot of beautiful waves in there!

torrilin
March 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
You're somewhere in the 2b to 3a range, but thanks to the straightening, there's not enough length to tell for sure. Keep doing what you've been doing, and chances are things will be clearer in the next 6 months. Right now my guess would be 2b/2c, because the overall look is wavy, but the waves are pretty deep and start fairly close to your scalp.

Just like your curl is encouraging the straight bits to act somewhat curly, the straight bits are helping to artificially straighten out some of your natural curl. Right now you have the worst of both worlds. It will get better as the straightened bits get trimmed off.

Amber_Maiden
March 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I'd say it's 2b

DaniVerde
March 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ignoring the last few chemically straightened bits, I'd be tempted to say 2b/2c. :) Do you have any spirals? It's difficult to tell from the angle, but there's definitely a lot of beautiful waves in there!

I have plenty of spirals, but right now they're like half-spirals because the bottom bits are stick straight :p And they've never been tight, bouncy spirals, but more like long loose spirals (kinda like the character Grace from the tv show Will & Grace, but less volume-I don't know the actress' name)

You're somewhere in the 2b to 3a range, but thanks to the straightening, there's not enough length to tell for sure. Keep doing what you've been doing, and chances are things will be clearer in the next 6 months. Right now my guess would be 2b/2c, because the overall look is wavy, but the waves are pretty deep and start fairly close to your scalp.

Just like your curl is encouraging the straight bits to act somewhat curly, the straight bits are helping to artificially straighten out some of your natural curl. Right now you have the worst of both worlds. It will get better as the straightened bits get trimmed off.

This is good to know, and great advice, thank you! I'll keep treating my hair like it's curly and report back when it's longer with less/no straightened bits :D

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I have plenty of spirals, but right now they're like half-spirals because the bottom bits are stick straight :p And they've never been tight, bouncy spirals, but more like long loose spirals (kinda like the character Grace from the tv show Will & Grace, but less volume-I don't know the actress' name)

Ooh, in that case you might well be in 2c/3a country! :D