PDA

View Full Version : My hairsticks always end up horizontal :/

Freckled.Thing
March 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Does anyone else have this problem?

On a regular day I usually wear my hair up with one stick in either a nautilus bun or a Gibraltar bun. I put the stick in at an angle (45 degrees above the horizontal or so) but after an hour or so it always seems to have loosened up enough that the stick is parallel to the ground. It's not like the bun doesn't stay up or anything but always seems to rotate a bit. The problem is purely aesthetic but it is a little annoying.

Does anyone have a good solution to this? The only things that come to mind are use a second stick or fasten the bun down with pins. I don't really want to bother with this mostly just because I'm lazy, but other tips are appreciated!

Oh, also I've tried putting the stick in completely vertically in the hopes that it would loosen to the angle that I wanted but for some reason vertical sticks seem to be less sturdy and the bun always falls out. Has anyone else noticed that sticks are much sturdier when they're horizontal, or is it just me?

jeanniet
March 15th, 2012, 01:41 AM
This probably isn't any help to you, but I tend to have the same issue so I usually just put sticks in horizontally. I think it's because of the weight of the bun, because when my hair was shorter the sticks would stay where I put them. If I put a stick in at a 45 degree angle I either expect to redo the bun after a couple of hours or just go the extra stick/pins route.

QMacrocarpa
March 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I consider horizontal hairsticks a feature, not a bug! :) I am most comfortable when my hairstick is horizontal. This does mean that I prefer shorter sticks that don't extend beyond my ears when viewed from the front. On me, a 5-inch stick is a good length for a Gibraltar and a nautilus (might be able to go even shorter on the nautilus). Curiously, I usually do my nautilus bun with a flexi-8, which I think would look best horizontal, and I have trouble with it angling up to one side. There's always something!

torrilin
March 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Buns stay better for me when the stick is near vertical. I have a hard time catching enough support hair with a horizontal hair stick. 2 sticks are better than one, always, and I tend to think more is better in the way of hair ornament... left to myself I go plainer than plain :D

melusine963
March 16th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I've never used a hair stick, so feel free to ignore my comment. Maybe how sturdy your bun is in relation to the angle of the hair stick has to do with where you're tucking your ends in? Unless I'm careful when putting in my spin pins my cinnabun won't stay put either.

Randi
April 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with jean on the weight theory. Also, do you spin your hair clockwise or counter-clockwise? I think that the placement of your hair has quite a bit to do with the way your hair rests.

metricfuture
April 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
I have the exact same problem! The "load bearing stick" always seems to end up horizontal, so I just stick another one in there at a 45 degree angle after it's settled. I haven't bothered lately since all my matching sets are missing one (I don't know where they're hiding, but something tells me when I find them, I'll find about 2 dozen single socks).

caiti42
April 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
I have the exact same problem! The "load bearing stick" always seems to end up horizontal, so I just stick another one in there at a 45 degree angle after it's settled. I haven't bothered lately since all my matching sets are missing one (I don't know where they're hiding, but something tells me when I find them, I'll find about 2 dozen single socks).

Hehe this made me giggle!.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
My buns almost always rotate. They also slip, so that if I have a high bun, it's a low bun after a few hours. Sigh .............. as long as it isn't pulling/hurting, I'm good with it.

excentricat
April 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I have the opposite problem with my nautilus. I put the stick in horizontally and get one at an angle. I have to put the stick in " backwards" to make sure the top goes up.

fridgee
April 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
When you put it in its normal to weave it in and out of the bun towards the scalp and out again, if that makes sense, but I find if you also weave it side to side (parallel to your head) then it can't rotate so much. You kind of end up tracing a spiral through the bun as you go up and down and side to side, kind of like drawing a circle with the point of the stick as you push it in. I hope that makes sense! The side to side motion is the only way I can get buns requiring vertical hairsticks to stay put, but it helps all buns feel more secure.