PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else been loving BIG hair lately? :D

CurlyCap
March 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
After a lifetime of trying to learn how to control my curls and avoiding unnecessary volume....I'm finding myself heavily biased to extremely BIG and extremely LOUD hair.

The curls are going out and up instead of downward, and I've been surprised at the amount of positive feedback I've been getting. These same hairdos would have lead to unbelievable criticism a few years ago.

Maybe fashion is changing.

Maybe there's more acceptance of different hair types.

Maybe I just like loud hair and rock it regardless. :D

Any thoughts?

UltraBella
March 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I want to see a picture !!!!

icallitbliss
March 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM

Same here!!

sonrisa76
March 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Curlycap what do you use on your hair to control the frizz? I have tried just about everything but I still continue to battle the "big hair". I've been searching for something "heavy" to force my hair to somewhat lie down :( in order for me to have any control of my hair or even put it in a bun, i have to plait it, which is very time consuming :( i'm willing to try just about anything to avoid the "big hair".

CurlyCap
March 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM

I usually take hair pictures on my work Mac. I'll find some and load them here. :D

CurlyCap
March 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Curlycap what do you use on your hair to control the frizz? I have tried just about everything but I still continue to battle the "big hair". I've been searching for something "heavy" to force my hair to somewhat lie down :( in order for me to have any control of my hair or even put it in a bun, i have to plait it, which is very time consuming :( i'm willing to try just about anything to avoid the "big hair".

Conditioner. CONDITIONER. And then...when I think it's ready....CONDITIONER. Lol, but it's really only a very slight exaggeration.

I think the key to curl control is ringlet promotion and moisture. Tight ringlets mean more hair gets clumped into a smaller space and moisture/leave-ins means that the ringlet is less likely to frizz. Curls still take up more volume than straight hair, but you can pack a LOT of curly hair into defined ringlets.

In order to accomplish this, I co-wash every night. This helps me keep the moisture level in my hair really high and allows ringles to reform. It doesn't really cause mechanical damage, and I attribute to the fact that I only detangle with finger combing while loaded with conditioner. I don't brush or style much so that's all the mechanical damage my hair gets.

When I get out of the shower, I quick turban (<5sec) and then smoosh a bunch of conditioner (~1/2 cup total) down the length of my clumps. This both promotes clumping and smooths each one, helping the formation of nice smooth ringlets. I find that if, while I smoosh, I pull each clump almost straight, that I get picture perfect ringlets. Brushing the conditioner through in smooth strokes results in smaller ringlets (but also more volume).

I try to brush or comb as little as possible. Both of these break up the clumps and lead to chaos or frizziness. Unless you are going for BIG HAIR, I find that too much brushing can only be undone by another soak under water. So for me, brushing is reserved for styling, like updos or braids.

I LOVE this method. The weight or content of the conditioners I use may change. The amount of conditioner I use may change, but the idea is the same all the time.

The CON is the enormous amount of conditioner I buy. I do this every day, and when you consider the amount of conditioner I put in my co-wash and then to style, it's formidable. The good thing is, since I moisture balanced my hair a few years ago, I can use pretty cheap conditioners for the co-wash if I need to.

And, of course, should you decide you want big hair, all you have to do is get your fingertips in at the roots of the ringlets and pull outwards. The ringlets give you definition, but breaking them up near the roots gives you volume. But this is a sexier volume than just undefined curls.

I hope this helps. I do know some curlies have hair that doesn't clump at all. I know they tend to just freestyle it more, but since no clumping occurs, I also feel like their hair looks less frizzy. You don't see the hair shooting out the side of a half-formed ringlet...so it's better. :shrug:

mzBANGBANG
March 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hehe, dull straightie here who goes through incredible lengths to get hair like that! You are blessed with your natural curls! You've got em, so flaunt em!

iSuperHeroic
March 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hehe, dull straightie here who goes through incredible lengths to get hair like that! You are blessed with your natural curls! You've got em, so flaunt em!
Same! I would do anything for curly hair!

sonrisa76
March 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Curlycap thank you sooooo much for explaining your routine to me :flowers: i will give it a try and see what happens :)

RapunzelKat
March 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I adore big hair! :D Especially curly big hair... 100&#37; opposite of my stick-straight hair that just lies flat on my head LOL. Big curly hair would take a monumental effort, but I have plans for rag curls some time in the near future :eyebrows:

I hope you will be able to post some pics! :D

kidari
March 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM

I'm going to agree with this also. I've always loved big hair. I really think that it's been making a huge comeback.

turtlelover
March 15th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I like big hair, too, as long as it doesn't involve 80s skyscraper bangs! Now THAT is a look I am happy to leave in the past! ;) Super straight hair can be beautiful, too, of course, but there is something about long, thick, wavy/curly hair that I just love!

Carissamarie08
March 15th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Ive always loved big hair!

PixxieStix
March 15th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I've always thought "big hair" was gorgeous on other people, but for myself since i spent so many years bald, I'm used to the "nearly plastered to my scalp" look in the mirror. :D I would hope that it isn't so much that fashion is changing, but that people are becoming more accepting of different styles, and plus, putting out a positive image that you OWN your look will generally make people feel the same way about you, people who obviously don't like their own hair I feel invoke more criticism than others because people can pick them out and play on what is already there. So you rock that hair curlycap, and we wanna see pictures! :D

becks113
March 15th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Oh my gosh, I love big hair. For the past year or so I've been trying to have my hair stick straight, no matter how damaging.. Don't ask me why, habit I suppose. But for the last week or so I've been almost heat free & now I'm embracing my natural..waves? They're sort of waves.. My hair gets crazy big & I'm really starting to love the big, messy bedhead look.

Amber_Maiden
March 15th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'm personally loving big hair lately as well! My hair extremely thick and looks like a lions mane when down (and doesn't have all the oils I usually put in it to weight it down), and I'm loving it! :D

newbeginning
March 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I'm also a fan of big, curly hair. I'll be checking for pics.

kitschy
March 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I have big hair, I don't know how much I love it, but it is what it is.

Dragon Faery
March 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I've been thinking about this lately, and right now I'm of the opinion that the more my hair swallows me up like an anime character the better off I am.

Thank you, curlycap, for the ringlet advice! I want to try this, and I passed it on to a friend who's been fighting her secret lion's mane for years. :)

summergreen
March 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Another straightie who loves big hair here! Back in the eighties I used to crimp all my hair every day, took ages but was totally worth it, my hair looked massive. (feels sad for loss of 20-something indestructable hair). I'd love to have actress Michelle Beaudoin's hair, she's totally my big hair idol!

zombi
March 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I'm from Texas, where big hair never goes out of style.... so OBVIOUSLY I love it, hhahahaha.

My waves don't get big without a lot of WORK though, so I don't rock it much.

ludwig20
March 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM
For a long time, I wanted to get rid of how big/loud my hair is by weighing it down ... I just didn't like how wide and thick it looks. I'm finally embracing it though! It's nice to see a lot of other people are too!

PinkyCat
March 15th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'll have big hair til the day I die. And then, big hair in my casket.

Joliebaby
March 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Not just lately.. I've always loved big hair! Which is good 'cos I've got it ;)

Kinkycurlygurl
March 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I guess it's just a part of getting older, but I've come to enjoy my hair in all of it's phases. Sometimes it shrinks, sometimes it's enormous, but it's all me and all mine.

Envari
March 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Conditioner. CONDITIONER. And then...when I think it's ready....CONDITIONER. Lol, but it's really only a very slight exaggeration.

I am so going to adjust my routine and try to incorporate some of your tips. I'm generally scared of ending up with heavy, sticky hair due to leave ins but you've convinced me to give it a go in the name of big, naughty hair! :eyebrows:

Btw, you have really close to perfect ringlets. I'm experiencing a severe case of curl-envy, I'm afraid :D

GRU
March 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I am so going to adjust my routine and try to incorporate some of your tips. I'm generally scared of ending up with heavy, sticky hair due to leave ins but you've convinced me to give it a go in the name of big, naughty hair! :eyebrows:

Use a 'cone-free conditioner and you'll be amazed!

The only conditioner that hasn't worked well for me was the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition -- everything else just moisturizes and dries with no dull, sticky residue whatsoever!

GRU
March 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Oh, and we had our first warm-and-humid day today.

Yeah, "big" doesn't even begin to describe my hair right now! :shocked:

Hollyfire3
March 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Yup, if you got it, you must flaunt it!

Envari
March 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM

The only conditioner that hasn't worked well for me was the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition -- everything else just moisturizes and dries with no dull, sticky residue whatsoever!

I am already using conefree for my CO, I just haven't been brave enough to leave it in my hair.

However, due to my unexpected curl-revival this morning after my first SMT, I might give it a go. I was estimating my hair to be 2b/2c when I signed up here apx. a week ago but after splashing oil and SMT in my hair whenever I had the chance, I'm beginning to second guess that classification. Amazing what moisture can do!:wethree:

Envari
March 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Anyone using Tresemme Naturals cond. as leave in? I might give it a go tomorrow if there's positive feedback and see how big I can go without frizz. It's a whole new world! :D

roxee
March 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I am and always have been a massive fan of big hair, I have naturally wavy hair and after spending years of trying to straighten it because I didn't know how to look afte my hair properly.
But after joining lhc forum my hair has never looked better and I am finally embracing my mermaid waves (if only I had found lhc ages ago lol)

Littlewing13
March 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I love big curly hair! I used to wear my hair short so my waves would turn into curls & become a bit of a white girl 'fro. Love it.

CurlyCap
March 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM

GRU: So thing is, I also think that GFTN leaves a tacky residue on the hair. I get my best "show curls" with a light condtioner, silicone free. The problem is, over the coarse of the day, light conditioners leave my hair dry. The co-wash is a rescue mission instead of just a nightly rinse. The effect is sort of similar to what happens when I try to just put a few drops of oil in my hair instead of conditioner. Beautiful at first, beautiful if not disturbed....horribly dry-feeling once the hair completely dries.

Any ideas?

CurlyCap
March 15th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Peeps! I checked today and realized I haven't taken a recent picture at work on a big hair day!

::WEEPS::

So frustrated with myself. But, since I promised a picture show and tell, I'll post these as examples. Not quite what I'm talking about, but still pretty big hair for the average consumer. ;)

This is my hair straightened. Yeah, flat irons are evil. So are the impulses my brain will give me if I don't give in once or twice a year. Apparently, I'm firmly at APL straight and have an impressive hemline for someone who only trims once a year. :D I straighten because I can but I really don't know what to do with hair that lies down and doesn't fight me.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9759&pictureid=128834

In case you haven't seen it in my album, this is what most curlies have to grow up contending with. We all have this picture. It haunts our nightmares (while being insanely cute).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9759&pictureid=126142

I think this is what many people are told is "well-behaving" curly hair: Lots of visible ringlets, silly shiny, but not intimidating with it's bigness. Also, behold the power of professional makeup and photoshop. :rollin:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9759&pictureid=128835

However, it just takes one good shake of the head or one pull from the roots outward gives you this.
http://i44.tinypic.com/35cqtmf.pnghttp://i39.tinypic.com/33cre52.png
I like this look and have been starting here and trying to go higher and bigger. This is definitely only "medium".

I think the idea for me lately is to let it get (and sometimes intentionally prod) it to be as large as possible with curl definition, but not break the curls and get
http://i40.tinypic.com/34zg4yc.jpg or http://i42.tinypic.com/v83cbd.jpg

LOL. I hope that was enough picture spam to please those of you who've been checking back for pictures. I'll definitely try to get a good "every day" photo of big hair and then I'll update the thread!

newbeginning
March 16th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Those pictures are awesome. I really like the different degrees of "big".

MissCoco
March 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Haha, I know what you mean, big hair is pretty awesome (though a hassle too at times)! :D Here, check this out:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6029&pictureid=98322
Yep, pretty wild. :cool:

Here's to big hair! :toast:

ETA: Oh, and CurlyCap, those hair pictures are awesome! Also, you look really lovely and bright, if I may say so! :) Thanks for sharing!

proo
March 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Miss Coco -
that is magnificent

Joliebaby
March 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Haha, I'm loving the BIG hair pictures :) I mean it, I really love them! Totally awesome, cute and wild!

Hollyfire3
March 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
my pictures look like that sometimes!

lovinglocks
March 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I would love huge hair, wavy, curly, whatever, bring it on. But here I am stuck with flat, fine, and awkward hair. I would wear it like a lion...

RapunzelKat
March 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM
CurlyCap, those pictures are awesome! :bounce:

ludwig20
March 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM
CurlyCap and MissCoco - amazing photos! These are really inspirational to me because I have struggled with big hair.

kidari
March 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
OMG I'm loving the pictures! I truly wish I had curls. I absolutely adore big hair.

HappyHair87
March 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM
This thread is SO on point and on time! I have my hair in chunky twists right now, airdrying...to stretch out my curls...because i have been craving to rock my chunky twistout fro for a few weeks now after wearing "tamed" curls every day.

I think i have a pic in my album of what i'm talking about...is there a way to post album pics within threads? Idk how to post pics on this forum:(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=129015&albumid=9555&dl=1332034594&thumb=1

Its not a Twistout fro but its the same concept....my twistout fros are more curlier than my braidout fros...which makes them super chunky....after i take out the twists i simply fluff like crazy and BAM!! The cute chunky fro appears!

And this is behaved hair...while i'm at it:laugh:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=123621&albumid=9555&dl=1326419868&thumb=1

OMG thank you CurlyCap!!! I know how to post pics now!! *cabbage patches* Lol!!!

I need to take more pics of my hair curly....^This pic was from last summer.

CurlyCap
March 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
This thread is SO on point and on time! I have my hair in chunky twists right now, airdrying...to stretch out my curls...because i have been craving to rock my chunky twistout fro for a few weeks now after wearing "tamed" curls every day.

I think i have a pic in my album of what i'm talking about...is there a way to post album pics within threads? Idk how to post pics on this forum:(

Right click on the picture on your album and copy the image url. Then, in your post, click the little landscape icon and paste the image url there. Voila! Inserted album pic!

HappyHair87
March 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
CurlyCap...i did it! Thanks again!:D

Java
March 17th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I love big hair. I have, thin, fine hair so I don't get it naturally. I will put in little braids before sleeping with oil or shea butter to take out in the morning, ending with crimped looking hair. It is the only technique I have figured out of heat-free big hair!

ETA I love the pictures! Especially the 'medium' big hair! Gorgeous!

HumanBean
March 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM
If you watched the Oscars last month there was the most gorgeous young woman with beautiful big hair who sang during the "in memorium" section. Here's a pic:

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/esperanza-spaldingthe-most-beautiful-talented-human-being-in-the-universesings-what-a-wonderful-world-at-the-oscars/

tgagurl27
March 18th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Wow at HumanBean's link. Esperanza Spalding is beautiful and her singing What a wonderful world was amazing. I nearly cried :) I love that song anyway but she sung it beautifully

annamoonfairy
March 18th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I love big hair : )

MissCoco
March 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Miss Coco -
that is magnificent

CurlyCap and MissCoco - amazing photos! These are really inspirational to me because I have struggled with big hair.

Proo, thank you so much! Your comment made my day! :flower:
Ludwig, thank you as well! I too have struggled with big hair, particularly when I was younger and went to school- I always felt a bit strange because of my hair. Let's celebrate having it now! :D

sfgirl
March 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I would love to have big hair naturally! the only time I had big hair was from teasing and hairspray.

Melisande
March 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Oh I have always loved and admired big hair. I love seeing waves and curls and wurls. Unfortunately, my own hair is stick straight and flat. I'd give a lot to have curls! And I love seeing wild, independent, BIG hair! If you have it - enjoy it!

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Thank you for sharing your routine! I will pull on those roots just like you said and see what happens.