PDA

View Full Version : How many spin pins should I buy?

NymphSpirit
March 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Oh, so I FINALLY found someone who sells spin pins (yay!) buuut, I have to take a bus and may be the subway to buy them, so, to avoid having to go there many times (Because I'm lazy.) how many should I buy?

(And also, has anyone tried these (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5189/5741276524_3d1a3bcc7b_m.jpg?s=MLA&f=107753954_6806.jpg&v=P&sll=342534) or these (http://img1.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_O_f_107753954_6806.jpg)? getting a bun done in less than two seconds sound nice!)

Edit: And do you think spin pins could resist ballet?

BlueMuse
March 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I use about 2 or 3 for a bun on average, but they're a knock off and a larger size than spin pins. I would think you'd need 4 at the most.

And I've had similar things for making buns. I could never get them to work even when my hair was shorter. They looked fine when someone else put them in for me though.

Seeshami
March 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Four is honestly sufficient but I use 6. The naughty mess has a little more trouble eating spin pins and spitting them out than it does bobby pins but I don't expect good behavior from it. Everything falls out the biggest question is when?

dRummie
March 15th, 2012, 07:00 AM
If you search, somewhere there's a thread about how many spin pins thick-haired people need. May want to take a look, considering you're ii/iii. We seem to be pretty similar in type and length, and I use 3 to hold a cinnamon bun. I do have lots of layers, though.

Mine holds through all kinds of sports, including salsa dancing, so you should be fine, too :)

lunalocks
March 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I typically use 2 or 3 but have used as many as 6. Just get a bunch to have handy. I love them!

QMacrocarpa
March 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I think I bought 5 packages in my enthusiasm (they were on sale!;)), but I've only opened two of them, and I've now given two of the remaining packages to my niece. Four pins should last me a good while.

My experience is that those bun-maker things work best with shorter hair, and get harder and harder to use on yourself as your hair gets longer. If you have an accomplice to help you, they could likely produce nice results at longer lengths.

SpinDance
March 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
With a braided bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4465&pictureid=128751)I use 2, but if I had to bus/subway to get them I'd get at least 4, maybe 6. That way I can keep some in my bag with me, maybe a couple at home, and if one gets misplaced I'd not have to do the bus/subway trip to get replacements.

I expect the number you will need will vary some depending on the type of bun you make as well as the thickness of your hair.

Bonny
March 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I use 4 spin pins if I want my bun to last through a dance class. I find that the most demanding classes for updos are ballet (the spotting during turns is what dislodges them), and flamenco (lots of impact and sharp head movements).

Scarlet_Heart
March 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I bought the pack of two regular sized ones, and a pack of the 3 minis. That is always more than enough. The minis are nice and short so they don't interwind with the big ones.

dwell_in_safety
March 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
For now, with 5" circumference between APL and BSL, I typically only use two, but I mostly use them for sleep buns so it's OK if they come out a little bit. :p

MissManda
March 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Four is honestly sufficient but I use 6. The naughty mess has a little more trouble eating spin pins and spitting them out than it does bobby pins but I don't expect good behavior from it. Everything falls out the biggest question is when?

My hair is very similar to this. :eek: I need at least four pins for most styles and use up to six, and even then it sometimes does not feel like enough. I have never tried them, but if you can get the mini ones, a pack of those in addition to the big ones might come in handy.

PS: Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76856) is the thread about how many spin pins people use in their hair. :flower:

papera
March 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I use between 3-4. 4 when I go to the gym and they stay put :)

Regarding the other bun-makers (dunno how to call them) I wouldn't use the first version. I had one like this and IMO it dries the hair, makes it frizzy and weird. The second one looks at least more hair-healthy :)
But you can get a nice bun using a sock, same result, cheaper, and hair-friendly. Maybe not as fast, but as somebody mentioned before, the longer the hair the more tricky these bun-makers are.

Check out Loepsie's tutorial on the sock bun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

curlsgalore
March 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I prefer 3-4. I like to have extras just in case. :)

Shermie Girl
March 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I use four. One in North, South, East and West. And yes, I do cross my spin pins. The directions say not to... What, would that be very bad? :p I like that they really anchor my updo and it doesn't move all day.