PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any experience with MSM

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I hear a lot about MSM and how it lengthens the hair's anagen phase. Anyone experience this?

chrissy-b
March 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I've taken it and I didn't notice a difference from what I remember. HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/tags.php?tag=msm) are a few threads I found that might have more info. :)

Amber_Maiden
March 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I've taken it as well. I think their is also a poll about how effective it was in the poll section. It did not make my hair grow faster or any differently.

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I've taken it as well. I think their is also a poll about how effective it was in the poll section. It did not make my hair grow faster or any differently.

I think thats the misconception with MSM. it doesn't make hair grow. it lengthens the anagen phase. I could be wrong

sonrisa76
March 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've been taking MSM for about 3 months now which is approximately how long it usually takes for any supplement to take noticeable effect. My nails have grown tremendously. I have never had long nails, until now. i'm guessing hair and nail growth correlate with one another :rolleyes: i've convinced myself that if i see nail growth, my hair is following along with growth as well, but i could be wrong :confused:

Carolyn
March 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I think thats the misconception with MSM. it doesn't make hair grow. It lengthens the anagen phase. I could be wrongI believe you are correct.

kitcatsmeow
March 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've been taking it for about 6 months now. My hair has grown about 5 inches since then. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MSM or not though because my hair has always grown fast. However, I never see ANY hair fall. Kinda freaky actually. I mean I don't brush or comb my hair a lot but There is maybe 20-50 hairs in my brush for the last 3 months. And maybe one or two come out when I comb.

I thought we were supposed to loose like 100 a day? I am blonde so maybe I just don't notice them?

And um what is the anagen phase?

Also I started taking it for my joints but I was hoping it would have a positive effect on hair and nails...

sonrisa76
March 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I just read online where MSM does lengthen the anagen phase yaaaaay :cheese: time to stock up on MSM :D so, my nail growth is from one of the other supplements i'm taking :)

rosaacicularis
March 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
So if it lengthens the hair's anagen phase, does it affect body hair at all? I would assume that lengthening the total cycle would also affect the maximum length for hairs on the body that have a shorter cycle (and therefore, shorter length). Does anyone have any information or experience related to that?

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I've been taking it for about 6 months now. My hair has grown about 5 inches since then. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MSM or not though because my hair has always grown fast. However, I never see ANY hair fall. Kinda freaky actually. I mean I don't brush or comb my hair a lot but There is maybe 20-50 hairs in my brush for the last 3 months. And maybe one or two come out when I comb.

I thought we were supposed to loose like 100 a day? I am blonde so maybe I just don't notice them?

And um what is the anagen phase?

Also I started taking it for my joints but I was hoping it would have a positive effect on hair and nails...

that's great growth! Whats your natural rate?

The anagen phase is the growth phase. The hair has 3 phase. Anagen is the first it lasts between 2-7+ years from what I know. People usually take it to lengthen their anagen phase. Good for you, glad to see you've been getting results. I heard about it back in 2008 and it worked for me but I got lazy and stopped taking it. Curious to see if anyone else here uses it :)

Do you use pill or powder?

Kirry-Folk
March 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Oh, I take MSM! It definitely reduces shedding for me by a significant amount. HOWEVER, it is marketed for joint health, and it really makes my knees hurt. I'm taking it every other day, right now.

Gingerbear
March 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I've been taking it for about 2 months now and haven't noticed any difference so far. I'm planning to give it one more month.

redsoles
March 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I've been taking it for about 2 months now and haven't noticed any difference so far. I'm planning to give it one more month.

what results are you looking for personally?

I think a lot of people expect it to make your hair grow. That's not what it does. It lengthens the hairs Anagen phase - growth phase. Meaning, you're hair will grow more instead of growing and than shedding and resting. For example, people with a 2 year anagen phase can only seem to grow hair at 12 inches and it stays put. Taking MSM consistently will increase your anagen phase so you can grow more than 12 inches.

turtlelover
March 15th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I take a boatload of supplements now, but I might have to try this one again. I took it for over a year, and then stopped. Maybe I need to be on it longer term.

Debra83
March 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I've been taking it on and off. Maybe it is coincidence, but I stopped taking around Novemberish last year, and then just started this month/end Feb again. And it seems for the last 3 months, I only got very little, if any, growth. I'm going to wait until the end of March to see if it helped with growth at all. I KNOW that after 3 days, it helped the pain in the joints of my hands that started in February.

kitcatsmeow
March 16th, 2012, 07:43 AM
that's great growth! Whats your natural rate?

The anagen phase is the growth phase. The hair has 3 phase. Anagen is the first it lasts between 2-7+ years from what I know. People usually take it to lengthen their anagen phase. Good for you, glad to see you've been getting results. I heard about it back in 2008 and it worked for me but I got lazy and stopped taking it. Curious to see if anyone else here uses it :)

Do you use pill or powder?

Interesting! I knew hair had phases like growth, resting, shedding, etc. but never knew (ok I was too lazy to research which is shocking considering how curious about things I usually am lol) exactly what they were! Well let's hope this keeps me in anagen for the next 10 years because thats probably how long it will take me to grow my hair to WL virgin!

I take poweder. It's plant based and I got it from rawfoodworld.com. I still have 1/2 a jar left. I mix 1/2 tsp a day with my smoothies.

bunzfan
March 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I tried it for just over a month and would never take it again ever! i experienced the worst depression, i haven't felt that bad since i had post natal depression 10 years ago.

islandboo
March 16th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I took it for a few months last year and had to stop because it gave my horrible, disturbing, almost hallucinogenic dreams. I was actually hoping for joint pain relief more than hair benefits, but it really did not agree with me.

redsoles
March 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I took it for a few months last year and had to stop because it gave my horrible, disturbing, almost hallucinogenic dreams. I was actually hoping for joint pain relief more than hair benefits, but it really did not agree with me.

I'm with you on the nightmares and vivid dreaming

Debra83
March 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Weird. I notice I have very vivid dreams, even nightmares, when I have a fever for sure. Now that you mention it, I have a some vivid dreams in March, but I'm going through a severe period of stress, and that can also play a part in them. I'll have to see what happens next month, hopefully the stress is less by then.

boudica
March 19th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Oh, I take MSM! It definitely reduces shedding for me by a significant amount. HOWEVER, it is marketed for joint health, and it really makes my knees hurt. I'm taking it every other day, right now.

If something makes your knees hurt, please stop. Heed your body, or your older self will really regret it. Knees are more fragile than you can imagine.

Try not taking it. No hair growth is worth losing knee function, even if it's 40 years from now. I did things my knees screamed at when I was in high school, but listened to my coaches instead of my body. Now I can barely get up stairs, and my knees make a noise that my grandmother's knees only started making in her nineties. Seriously.

Do not mess with your knees.

I have spoken. (sardonic self-importance and a lot of reverb)

ChloeDharma
March 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I always say i'm going to start taking supplements but i really do intend to take this now.

One question.....i've heard this about the anagen phase in the past but i'm curious to know how do we actually know this? Have any studies proved this true? Don't misunderstand me.....i hope and pray it's true but i have never found evidence other than anecdotal.

Ok more than one question but.....presuming the anagen phase will be extended by taking MSM will that effect only be on new growth or will the hairs currently in that phase also benefit from the effect?

If i can find proof that it genuinely works (my hair looks really rubbish after it reaches bra strap.....or even before really) i might be able to stay motivated to take it.

A note on side effects. I know when i have taken it in the past in the early days i can feel nauseous, bloated and get awfuly uncomfortable wind. I hear this and other side effects like headaches and if my foggy memory serves me correctly....even moods, are the result of candida die off and the resulting high levels of toxins released into the blood stream from that.
One way to minimise it is to start off on a lower dose and build up over time.....or just persevere and hope it passes soon.

Anyway, as of today i'm going to start taking it again. I've put a bottle on my dining table :-)

Oh another question.....does it go off? I have two in-date bottles but one out of date bottle that expired last year. I'm just wondering if it really matters and is some legal technicality as all things have to have a use by date.....or if it matters. No real drama if i can't take that bottle, i'll pop the powder into DT's or rinses if that's the case.