PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you guys to reach your goal length?

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Specifically anyone that had shoulder length or less than shoulder length, to waist/hip?

Do you find long hair to be harder to maintain? How did you feel after achieving your goal(s)? what are your top 5 tips on how you achieved this?

Edit: Include your height! :D

Avital88
March 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
top 5 tips are:
no heat, no coloring,
no salon visits(so selftrims)
less shampoo and more conditioner:)
Eat healthy
Be happy(no stress)
And for me it started harder to maintain after waist for sure, i was really happy to achieve waistlength because i had that until 16 then i cutted my hair to a bob ,to be shoulderlength until i was 20.
it took me 2 years and 3 months to grow from shoulder to waist,with a lot of heat,trims and coloring in the beginning.the last half year until waist i was better for my hair, i went from daily heat to weekly

tinfoilsally
March 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I reckon that even if I do reach my goal of waist length hair, I still won't be completely happy when I get there. I think that people like to have something to work towards, and that we're happiest *just before* we meet our targets. Once it's done, we just move onto something else. That might just be me, though :D

Sorry, I just realized that what I said is a complete tangent to your original question! It's a good thread though, I've just had a trim back to shoulder length and am feeling a bit impatient to get my hair growing again after my winter stall :(

AlannaMaria
March 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM
It look me around 2 years to get from shoulder-ish to waist, but I would have been there faster had I not gotten frustrated an chopped off about three inches with kitchen scissors. So don't do that. : P Number one tip for me. Other tips...

Keep heat styling to a minimum.
Learn lots of fun styles and braids so you can enjoy your length at every stage.
Try not to obsess over the length too much.
Keep your ends moisturized.

I reached waist, but I just recently cut back to a little above waist because I'm still evening things up from my little bathroom trim. It felt good to finally be there, but I still want more. And I don't feel it's harder to maintain. My hair type cooperates better with the weight that more length brings.

Good luck! : )

sonrisa76
March 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Redsoles thank you sooooo much for starting this thread. as i read and look at the pics of everyone beautiful hair, i often wondered just how long it took for everyone to grow their hair. it gives me great hope :D

HintOfMint
March 14th, 2012, 06:22 PM
It took me close to two and a half to three years to grow from collarbone to waist-hip area. Of course, that's with trims in between, some larger than others. It took another six months to get solidly at hip after a two inch trim just as I reached hip. So around three and a half years.

My top tips:
1. Rarely heat style
2. S&D
3. Take care of tangles GENTLY. Rough brushing and combing can shred hair and not just at the tips so damage can occur higher up the shaft.
4. Have a hairdresser that only takes off the bare minimum. I didn't discover him until recently.
5. Trim around twice a year, if that.
6. pay attention to what your hair likes and what causes tangles.
7. Ignore people who try to make your hair their business
8. Patience
9. wear hair up at night (if it causes tangles for you)
10. satin pillowcases

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Redsoles thank you sooooo much for starting this thread. as i read and look at the pics of everyone beautiful hair, i often wondered just how long it took for everyone to grow their hair. it gives me great hope :D
No problem! I've always wanted to hear other people's experienced and techniques! I'd love for everyone to share their stories and frustrastions!

redsoles
March 14th, 2012, 06:29 PM
It took me close to two and a half to three years to grow from collarbone to waist-hip area. Of course, that's with trims in between, some larger than others. It took another six months to get solidly at hip after a two inch trim just as I reached hip. So around three and a half years.

My top tips:
1. Rarely heat style
2. S&D
3. Take care of tangles GENTLY. Rough brushing and combing can shred hair and not just at the tips so damage can occur higher up the shaft.
4. Have a hairdresser that only takes off the bare minimum. I didn't discover him until recently.
5. Trim around twice a year, if that.
6. pay attention to what your hair likes and what causes tangles.
7. Ignore people who try to make your hair their business
8. Patience
9. wear hair up at night (if it causes tangles for you)
10. satin pillowcases
Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!

Hah, have you met people that have tried to make your hair their business? I have a sister like that. She constantly projects her own faults onto me, and gets really upset and competitive with me that I grow my hair longer and faster (it doesn't help her that she puts all these chemicals onto her gq
hair)

Wearing hair up, that includes buns?

HintOfMint
March 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!

Hah, have you met people that have tried to make your hair their business? I have a sister like that. She constantly projects her own faults onto me, and gets really upset and competitive with me that I grow my hair longer and faster (it doesn't help her that she puts all these chemicals onto her gq
hair)

Wearing hair up, that includes buns?

You're very welcome. Yes, wearing up includes buns. Before bed, I put my hair in a bun on the very top of my head and secure it with spin pins. Sometimes I'm lazy and don't do it, but I always regret it. It gets around my neck and itches, and it's just unpleasant.

Yeah, some people have been quite interfering with my hair. Most people are nice and very supportive but one or two will be very narrow minded in what they consider "pretty" hair. In one girl's mind, the only pretty hair is straight and ultra-styled hair. When my hair is being big and wavy, she did not hesitate to tell me that I needed to DO SOMETHING with my hair. She was a treat.:rolleyes:

pepperminttea
March 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Shoulder to waist took me around three years, ish. I trimmed a lot to get rid of layers along the way, and I'm a bit tall, so you may have more luck. :) Never know 'til you try!

Longer hair is easier and harder than short hair at the same time. Detangling is slower for me (partly because I know to be gentler now than I was then), ditto for wash days, but on a day to day basis, I can take it out of my sleep braid and make it look presentable in an updo in under five minutes if I need to, which is certainly handy compared to a cut that needs washing, blow-drying, and heat-styling every day. Basically it works for me because I'm lazy. ;)

I haven't hit my final goal yet, but that's partly because it moved. I've just about reached my initial goal. :D I really enjoy my hair now, more than I did when it was shorter. It feels like it's my 'something special'.

Top 5? Hmm. In no particular order: 1. Be gentle. 2. Wear it up most of the time. 3. Go with what your hair likes and responds to, not with what your brain thinks it should like. 4. Accept your hairtype and work with it; learn to love it for what it is. 5. Be patient. :)

ETA: I'm 5'10".

torrilin
March 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Specifically anyone that had shoulder length or less than shoulder length, to waist/hip?

Do you find long hair to be harder to maintain? How did you feel after achieving your goal(s)? what are your top 5 tips on how you achieved this?

I don't really have a goal length. While my hair isn't the fastest on this board, it does grow pretty quickly, and went from shoulder to BSL over the course of a year with trims, and then from apl to waist over about 18 months. Then I got irritated with it, trimmed back some, and am now back at waist after 6 months. (in measurement terms, it's something like 20" to 32", with something on the order of 12" of trimming)

To me, shoulder length is unliveable and horrible and hellish. I can't ponytail securely at that length, and I can't braid it or put it up. EEEEEEEEEW! Once it's long enough to put up, I'm happy.

kidari
March 14th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I went from a super short bob to waist length in almost three years. The first year I didn't trim at all. After it reached past shoulder length I trimmed off 2 inches at a time because it was uneven and the ends were really in bad shape. Then when it was BSL to MBL I microtrimmed every month.

1) self trim
2) no heat
3) wear hair up almost all of the time
4) oiling hair
5) regular treatments (clarifying washes, deep conditioning, protein packs, heavy oilings, etc) as needed

Amber_Maiden
March 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
It took me about three years to grow from shoulder to waist, and I cut more than a food of hair off during that time. My hair use dot grow very fast, however.

Top tips:
patience, patience, patience, patience, patience. LOL

Cirafly24
March 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
It took me about 3 years to get from BSL to Classic. I wasn't actively growing my hair until then, so I couldn't tell you how long it took me to get to BSL.

PixxieStix
March 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Oh, what great thread! I haven't reached a goal yet, and I'm growing from a chin length bob (that's when I found LHC), but I estimate being to waist in another two years, guess we'll see. Hoping to be to tailbone in three or three and a half, possibly four if I trim more.

LittleOrca
March 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'm still not at goal... I estimate I will have all natural hair by 2015 and be at my goal by... 2020 maybe... *sigh* Depressing to think about.

jc10event
March 14th, 2012, 09:52 PM
My goal when I grew it from shoulder length was a couple inches past waist, belt. I wanted it to get tucked into the belt at times so girls would have to untuck it, run their hands through it, and talk about it. My hair took about four years with light trims. I'm 6'3". Once there, I reset the goal to my knees and that took about three more years.
I'm shooting for that goal again.
Your hair is lovely. Hope you enjoy it every second of your journey.

CurlyCap
March 14th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I don't know what my goal is. I'm growing until I get sick of it and then maintaining.

But to give you an idea of time...I grew from a shaved pixie to solidly APL in 1.5 years. I've cut off 3-4 inches because of the making the pixie growth look sane and because I prefer an even hemline.

malin_798
March 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I have a question for you guys.. Some of you mentioned self-trim, and I used to do that when my hair was BSL.. and then I cut all my hair off! And now I can't reach my pony tail in front of my shoulders to do it anymore.. How do you do it?! :confused:

roundforest
March 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I grew out bleached hair from scalp length (that being the only way to grow it out! I didn't shave my head) to now at waist.

Ignore the bleached lengths - the healthy roots here reach eye level from the top of my head, shoulder length from the nape area - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9834&pictureid=127024 - and that was in summer 2008.

I totally ignored my hair as it grew, apart from hacking the bleached ends off now and then with blunt scissors. I did not wear it up or apply deep conditioners until about a year ago, and it hasn't had a professional trim for about a decade. Despite this I have reached waist length - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9834&pictureid=127032

in a bit less than 4 years. I hope to get longer, healthier hair now I'm looking after it better.

Aeltt
March 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
It took me 2 years from shoulder to waist (still not at hip :P)
The things that worked for me : no more heat (flat iron and hair dryer), more conditioner (cone free), less harsh shampoo, being gentle with my hair and no trims (well sometimes i cut 1cm or 2..)

Guenever
March 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
SL to WL: from March 2010 to well.. now. so... 2 years :)
I'm far from my 50" goal, though.. (especially since I'm maintaining at the moment...)
First massive goal - classic and then fingertip..
Anyway, it's gonna be at least another 2-3 years before I get to see if my genes allow me to grow to classic.. le sigh.

hmmruka
March 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I went from a inverted bob (Posh Spice circa 2007-2008 hair) which was was only a couple inches long in the back and about chin in the longest front pieces (flat ironed length) and to hip(wurly natural state) in under 4 yrs. So I'll probably actually be tailbone by my 4 year mark. No Salon hair cuts since May 11th 2008, just self trims. Oh and the inverted bob worked nicely growing out because I got to skip the mullet stage Since the back of your hair grows faster than the front :). All my tips have already been mentioned but patience, and no heat, no coloring, and wearing my hair up from apl till somewhere below bsl (i felt frumpy and aweful about my hair between those lengths) got me through.

Seeshami
March 15th, 2012, 10:11 AM
From my pixie to 33ish inches with probably 10 inches lost to scissors in silliness it took five and a half years. I think we'll go another 6 inches and I will rethink how long I want it. Right now it is at my waistband, six more inches will give me just a little to short to sit on.

Shesta
March 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
3 years from shoulder to waist but I've never been a fast grower

Annalouise
March 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Please give your height if you are doing a time estimate from shoulders to waist.:D

I'm 5'10 and I would say it took a minimum of 3 years (with trimming) to go from just below the shoulders to just shy of my waist. I'm hoping to do it faster this time with smaller trims.

prosperina
March 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Please give your height if you are doing a time estimate from shoulders to waist.:D

I'm 5'10 and I would say it took a minimum of 3 years (with trimming) to go from just below the shoulders to just shy of my waist. I'm hoping to do it faster this time with smaller trims.

Good idea. I'm 5'8" and I have an extremely (or so it seems!) long back. It took me about 3 1/2 years perhaps closer to 4 (with some trimming) to go from shoulder to waist, and now at 31 inches, I'm still shy of waist by just a bit, at 33 inches I was not at hip. (I just got a trim to get rid of layers.) I feel like my hair grows slowly, but I also have to remember that everything about my body is long. :)

Diamond.Eyes
March 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Technically speaking, my hair would be at classic length right now, but I had to cut out 6-7 inches of old black dye during my hair journey. I have been growing it out from SL for a little over 3 ½ years, and my hair is currently 2 inches past my hips.

My adivce for anyone growing out their hair (it's more than 5, but oh well :D):
-No heat
-No teasing
-No hair dye
-No hair products containing drying alcohols
-Wear hair up often
-Perform scalp messages every night before bed
-Get a trim every 16 weeks, if possible
-Invest in a good multi-vitamin
-Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle wet hair, and nothing else
-Invest in a good BBB brush
-Deep condition and oil hair as often and as long as possible
-Use the bottom-up brushing method to avoid breakage
-Try to avoid any intricate hair styles that might cause breakage
-Use shampoos and conditioner that are free of sulfates and heavy silicones
-And most importantly, have fun growing it out! :flower:

Chromis
March 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not at my goal yet. Hopefully I won't be for a good long time :p

I grew from nothing to waist-ish in about three years. I find my hair gets easier as it grows. My hair does not play nicely when short. I never used heat styling to start with and my hair grows pretty quickly. Less quickly now it seems, but then it is harder to tell now.

The five things that helped me most:
1. Reading lots of posts and articles here!
2. Being more gentle. No wet brushing or ripping a scratchy old brush through my hair.
3. Not piling my hair on top of my head when bathing!!! Man did that alone cut down on a lot of tangles.
4. Learning how to put my hair up instead of wearing a ponytail all of the time.
5. Learning to braid my hair at night.

I should note though, that I had already grown my hair to almost bsl before I found this site even with not knowing those five things. My condition has certainly improved since then and I have probably by now trimmed almost all of my pre-LHC hair off over time.

Snippety
March 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I am 5'5" and it took ten years to grow mine from completely shaved off to almost knee. I had some pretty hefty trims along the way due to my one ill-advised dye job, amd getting my hemline from a U shape to straight across. Then in the summer of 2010 I went a bit bonkers and hacked it back to just below waist so now my goal is back to knee and beyond ! I'm just back at classic.

I tend towards benign neglect so don't have many tips. I use a lovely wooden comb and Lush shampoo bars and conditioner. I wear my hair in a plait day and night as I'm not really into styling it. I do two tiny trims a year (my husband does it for me - he's the only one I trust near me with scissors !) and since I've been on LHC I've begun to do a bit of S&D. That's about it :)

sonrisa76
March 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Diamondeyes i love you hair color :inlove: such a beautiful red :)

Diamond.Eyes
March 15th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Diamondeyes i love you hair color :inlove: such a beautiful red :)
Aww thank you so much sonrisa76! You are so nice. :flower:

sonrisa76
March 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Chromis im in love with your hair length :flowers: and wow, your hair grows super fast to go from nothing to waist-ish in 3 years is a blesing :D

Chromis
March 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Chromis im in love with your hair length :flowers: and wow, your hair grows super fast to go from nothing to waist-ish in 3 years is a blesing :D

Thanks, I call keratin growth my super power. My nails grow very quickly as well.

Seriously though, I think most people would grow faster if they didn't cut it so much and went in for a little more benign neglect.

owlathena
March 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
For me, long hair is much easier than short. That might change if I grow to super-long lengths (like knee +), but so far its just gotten easier and easier. The weight makes it lay nicely, don't have to use heat to make it look nice, just brush and go. Or brush on the go. Or forgo brushing altogether and just go hahaha

I don't know how long its taken me to get to waist from shoulder because I wasn't actively growing my hair for most of that time and hovered around bsl for a couple years.

1.My biggest tip I think is to be happy. My hair grows much faster when I'm not stressed out. Its also my theory about why so many people claim that their hair grows faster in the summer. Its because they're happier :D and also more active

2.Going cone-free has done wonders.

3. Henna has helped the condition of my hair.

4. Oiling

5. No heat, etc

Alva
March 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I never reached it yet! Still trying to get there, Could have been a long time ago, I am member of hair care boards since around 2004 and been cutting off quite some every now and then. Hadnt I done that, I would have long time been there. So, 8 years busy and still going lol. I calculated last week that I have cut at least 35+ inches during this time. My hair grows about 6 inches a year and I am again at same length as I was in 2004. It was quite shocking! :D Now hoping I dont get tempted to cut again :)

redsoles
March 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Yes! Thank you! I think height should be added! Thanks!

redsoles
March 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Technically speaking, my hair would be at classic length right now, but I had to cut out 6-7 inches of old black dye during my hair journey. I have been growing it out from SL for a little over 3 ½ years, and my hair is currently 2 inches past my hips.

My adivce for anyone growing out their hair (it's more than 5, but oh well :D):
-No heat
-No teasing
-No hair dye
-No hair products containing drying alcohols
-Wear hair up often
-Perform scalp messages every night before bed
-Get a trim every 16 weeks, if possible
-Invest in a good multi-vitamin
-Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle wet hair, and nothing else
-Invest in a good BBB brush
-Deep condition and oil hair as often and as long as possible
-Use the bottom-up brushing method to avoid breakage
-Try to avoid any intricate hair styles that might cause breakage
-Use shampoos and conditioner that are free of sulfates and heavy silicones
-And most importantly, have fun growing it out! :flower:

Does hair dye impede on growing long healthy hair? I know lots of people that dye their hair and they can never seem to grow their hair long.... Wouldn't it be best to just go natural?

redsoles
March 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Also great posts so far guys! Your stories and experiences are very enlightening! :)

PinkyCat
March 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
It took a year and three months to go from APL to waist. Now it will probably take another year to get to TBL. With trims every 4 months.

Georgies
March 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I went from a inverted bob (Posh Spice circa 2007-2008 hair) which was was only a couple inches long in the back and about chin in the longest front pieces (flat ironed length) and to hip(wurly natural state) in under 4 yrs. So I'll probably actually be tailbone by my 4 year mark. No Salon hair cuts since May 11th 2008, just self trims. Oh and the inverted bob worked nicely growing out because I got to skip the mullet stage Since the back of your hair grows faster than the front :).

That's exactly my starting haircut! A bit longer - chin length while curly - but inverted to quite short in the back. That was only about 5 months ago. I was kind of worried about evening out the length, but it does in fact seem to be evening itself out. I didn't really know that hair in the back actually grows faster, which is great! :D

I'm very happy to be at SL now, and will be happier at collar bone, even happier at APL, and so on...TB seems like eons from now, but that is a goal. This is another inspiring thread.

slythwolf
March 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I had my hair around chin length for about a year when I was 17, and then I think it must have been at least at waist by the time I was 19. I'm 5'8" but my back-neck-to-waist measurement is only 12.5". My top tips:

- Stop cutting it. Being too busy and/or broke to get haircuts is helpful here.
- Have a lot of other stuff going on in your life so you're not thinking about what your hair is or isn't doing.

I find long hair much easier to maintain than short. Rather than constantly having to get trims and wrangle styling tools, I just leave it alone most of the time.

Envari
March 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
First pic is taken 1½ year ago, second this morning. It's a bit hard to compare since hair's straightened in the first pic and airdried without products on the second, but I'd estimate my hair in the second pic to be about 3" longer when stretched/straightened.

For comparison I'm apx. 5.9".

As far as I remember I haven't had any trims since the first pic apart from a few selftrims of the front layers and removal of splitted ends.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kaoKZhgUHm0/T2JEYUAkp0I/AAAAAAAAACQ/ZvWkxFwAwKQ/s512/Negle%2520169.JPGhttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RyM_PFcq5-k/T2GlSXuhMOI/AAAAAAAAABI/6NXeAQLi8z8/s512/I.jpg

marena
March 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Going from a little below SL to WL took around two years with 4-5 small trims and one big trim in between... thanks to a stylist friend that cut a little too much. It was her idea and I allowed her to do it cause I had my guard down, but it won't happen again. I'm pretty sure now about the things I have to do in order to finally have long hair :)

What helps me the most:

- End the daily use of the blow drier and flat iron. I used to dislike my natural waves...
- Using a microfiber towel to dry my hair and then let it air dry
- No more dying my hair
- S & Ding regularly
- Trimming only when necessary
- Wearing my hair up for most of the time
- Oiling with coconut, jojoba or almond oil
- Deep oiling with coconut 2-3 times a month
- Washing my hair 3-4 times a week

Oh, and I'm 5'6.

Covet
March 15th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I really, really recommend taking care of tangles extremely gently and I find that if I use a shower head that provides gentle water pressure, it cause less tangles for me. Can't comment on how long it took my to grow my hair because I'm starting from shoulder length but good luck! :)

sonrisa76
March 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread :applause :toast: .. for me, reading and seeing the results of such beautiful hair is a true inspiration.. seriously, i could read this thread many many times and learn something new each and every time :)

melusine963
March 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I'm still not at my goal length, but it took me about six years to get from shoulder to hip. I had to trim off an awful lot of damage along the way though, otherwise it would have taken much less time.

janeytilllie
March 16th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I still not at my goal length of knee
I'm currently at hip length

Here's a picture (clickable) of my hair at it's shortest in June 2009
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42386&albumid=2296&dl=1311345725&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=42386)

It took 1 year and 3 months to hit waist length
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=83596&albumid=2296&dl=1311345725&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=83596)

I had more trims after that. My hair is now hip length and my siggy pic is the lastest in my hair progress. :)

I'm 4ft 9 tall

My top 5 tips are

Self trims (every 4-6 months)
Tangle Teezer with gentle brushing
Lots of conditioner and leave in conditioner
Silk pillowcase/braiding
Wearing hair up

My other tips
Relax, eat well and it will grow :)
No heat, dyes, damaging hairstyles, harsh hair toys/tools
Love your hair how it is. Let it be :)
Give your hair what it needs not what you think it wants. (My hair loves cones and sulfates)
Baby oil :)

Morpho.peleides
April 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
It seems we all fall under a certain range of about 2 to 3 years here.

I myself, went from a sort of longish pixie cut (with the longest parts at around shoulder-length) to waist-length in a little more than two years (late 2008 to mid 2010). I'm 5'0 and now, my hair is about midway between TBL and Classic (my goal for this year).

I wasn't particularly careful with my hair, though. Went through several bleach/dye jobs during the course of these three years (I have naturally black hair, but experimented with blonde, ash blonde, and chestnut brown), until I got tired of the routine late last year and decided go back to having black hair. I think the only saving grace for my hair is that I routinely trim the ends of my hair to maintain this layered look during the growth process, which eventually gave my hair its fairy tale ends. Otherwise, I'd just wash and condition it thrice a week, letting it air dry when doing so, and keeping the heat-styling to a minimum.

Perelka74
April 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Great tips thank you for sharing .