PDA

View Full Version : vegan bbb?

SeaLamb
March 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
hello. i'm not too sure if this has been asked before because im new and not too great at finding what i put in the search, but is there such a thing as a vegan bbb?

i've read that bbbs are great at distributing the oils from the scalp to the length and by doing that you can stretch your washes longer. i would really love to try a bbb, but i'm vegan. i know it's said that the boars are farmed for their hair just as sheep for their wool and it's all done humanely, but unless i go to the farm and see it myself i can't trust that that's true.

also, if there are brushes similar to bbbs only with synthetic bristles or something, do they work just as well or almost as well as a real bbb?

and if this was already asked could you please point me in the direction? thanks:)

Amber_Maiden
March 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm vegan. I use the Morocco Method BBB. I do believe that the boars are sheared for their hair with this company. I trust them.

SeaLamb
March 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM
hm i'll look into that company thank you :)

fridgee
March 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not really sure you can have such a thing as a vegan boar bristle brush as the idea is to not use any animal products. Having said that I know people take veganism to different extremes so if your comfortable with using one as part of your personal ethos thats fine. There can at least be some that are more boar friendly than others. Even shaving the boar still raises questions about how it is kept etc, so that doesn't guarantee their welfare. I guess the best thing is to research the company first and email them if you have any questions.

I'm not sure about alternatives, nothing else really seems to be mentioned. They do brushes with bamboo 'bristles', but I'm not sure they woud have the same effect as a BBB :shrug:

MaiCarInMtl
March 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I've been looking into this for a while and have yet to actually try an alternative to a BBB.
If you're looking for non-animal made brushes, I heard that they have sisal brushes. How good are they? I have yet to actually find an answer anywhere - just people saying they are going to try it and I never see an actual reply.
Fridgee mentioned bamboo bristles but I haven't yet found such a brush online.
If someone has tried a non-animal made brush and can compare and contrast their brush with a BBB, then I would LOVE to hear about it. Thanks.

truepeacenik
March 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM
As a vegan, which is a lifestyle choice as well as dietary, and not a strict vegetarian, who could use by products, new boar bristle is out of the question.
That leaves used as an option.

Aside from that, I like wooden combs, but there is no oil distribution in the way natural bristle does.

I apply oil lightly from neckline to ends, lightest on top and heavier at the bottom.

Nylon could smooth, but it won't distribute oils.

88Marisa
March 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I would be interested in this too. I don't call myself vegan even though I eat that way because I don't subscribe to the "lifestyle" aspects regarding total elimination of animal products, because it's not truly possible for one, and secondly, there are some animal products that are derived without excessive cruelty. (Although some would argue that all animals raised/kept for human purposes are being taken advantage of, and although I see the logic in that argument, I have to agree to disagree with them on that.)

I had a nylon BBB style brush that I used for awhile, but I got a small real BBB and I really do think it works better. Since I'm on a routine where I really need an effective tool for moving the natural sebum to my ends, I'm not going to stop using it for now, but I would be willing to switch to a vegan alternative as long as it worked as well.

Littlewing13
March 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I just got a tangle teezer & im pretty happy with it. More for detangling, but I find its pretty good at distributing too. It doesn't pull as many hairs out as BBB & you can wash it afterwards. There are also natural fibre brushes but I don't believe they work quite as well as BBB.

SeaLamb
March 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not really sure you can have such a thing as a vegan boar bristle brush as the idea is to not use any animal products. Having said that I know people take veganism to different extremes so if your comfortable with using one as part of your personal ethos thats fine. There can at least be some that are more boar friendly than others. Even shaving the boar still raises questions about how it is kept etc, so that doesn't guarantee their welfare. I guess the best thing is to research the company first and email them if you have any questions.

I'm not sure about alternatives, nothing else really seems to be mentioned. They do brushes with bamboo 'bristles', but I'm not sure they woud have the same effect as a BBB :shrug:

yeah, i'd rather not use anything that came from an animal, but if i was positive they were treated well i wouldn't have a problem with it. i did look into the morocco method bbb that Amber Maiden suggested, but the boars are raised in Spain which doesn't give me too much comfort because of their bull fighting and festival where they chase the bull around town and kill it. i'll try looking for a bamboo bristle brush though, thanks:)

I've been looking into this for a while and have yet to actually try an alternative to a BBB.
If you're looking for non-animal made brushes, I heard that they have sisal brushes. How good are they? I have yet to actually find an answer anywhere - just people saying they are going to try it and I never see an actual reply.
Fridgee mentioned bamboo bristles but I haven't yet found such a brush online.
If someone has tried a non-animal made brush and can compare and contrast their brush with a BBB, then I would LOVE to hear about it. Thanks.

i'll look into sisal brushes; if their not too expensive then i wouldn't mind just getting one and a bamboo one to try and see how they work, although i wouldnt be able to compare them to a bbb.

As a vegan, which is a lifestyle choice as well as dietary, and not a strict vegetarian, who could use by products, new boar bristle is out of the question.
That leaves used as an option.

Aside from that, I like wooden combs, but there is no oil distribution in the way natural bristle does.

I apply oil lightly from neckline to ends, lightest on top and heavier at the bottom.

Nylon could smooth, but it won't distribute oils.

i personally wouldn't even be comfortable using a used bbb because it still came from an animal and idk how it was treated, but i'm sure there are vegans who would think differently.

what kind of wooden combs do you use, or suggest? i was planning on going to the body shop tomarrow to get theirs since a lot of people on here say they love it.

I would be interested in this too. I don't call myself vegan even though I eat that way because I don't subscribe to the "lifestyle" aspects regarding total elimination of animal products, because it's not truly possible for one, and secondly, there are some animal products that are derived without excessive cruelty. (Although some would argue that all animals raised/kept for human purposes are being taken advantage of, and although I see the logic in that argument, I have to agree to disagree with them on that.)

I had a nylon BBB style brush that I used for awhile, but I got a small real BBB and I really do think it works better. Since I'm on a routine where I really need an effective tool for moving the natural sebum to my ends, I'm not going to stop using it for now, but I would be willing to switch to a vegan alternative as long as it worked as well.

i do agree that abstaining from all animal by-products is close to impossible, but you know, you do what you can and i believe every little bit that you can do does help in some way.

i honestly don't think a vegan alternative would work just as well as a real bbb because i've read that because the bbb is real hair it interacts with sebum similar to how human hair does. i wonder if someone asked someone who makes bbbs if they could make one with human hair; i wouldn't mind cutting some of my hair to make a good brush lol. although human hair isn't as course as boars hair, i'm sure if they were placed in the brush rly close together it might work well. :shrug:

I just got a tangle teezer & im pretty happy with it. More for detangling, but I find its pretty good at distributing too. It doesn't pull as many hairs out as BBB & you can wash it afterwards. There are also natural fibre brushes but I don't believe they work quite as well as BBB.

i have'nt read too much into tangle teezers yet, but do you think they work better than wooden combs?

ilovelonghair
March 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I got one, but make sure you get a flat one and not a rounded one because round ones can wind hair around them and make awful tangles (the boar ones would do the same, it's the shape that does it)

MaiCarInMtl
March 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
what kind of wooden combs do you use, or suggest? i was planning on going to the body shop tomarrow to get theirs since a lot of people on here say they love it.
i have'nt read too much into tangle teezers yet, but do you think they work better than wooden combs?
I have both the wooden comb and brush from Body Shop. While I do love them, they do nothing for oil distribution.
I also have a Tangle Teezer. While it is really good for tangles, I am wondering if it contributed to my scalp flaking a lot this winter - I think the teeth were maybe too rough for my scalp. I could be wrong. I would say it is better for oil distribution than the wood brushes though but not on par with what I've seen with a BBB (basing this on videos).
This will probably make some laugh but I just had to share. When arriving home last night, I was curious to see if a badger bristle brush could do the trick... So off I went to the washroom to try out my husband's shaving/lather brush on my hair. Verdict: either the bristles were too long or too soft, it did nothing! I wasn't going to give the brush a "haircut" in order to get an answer. The man would've been devastated. Either way, it's not a vegan option.
The search continues!

SeaLamb
March 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I got one, but make sure you get a flat one and not a rounded one because round ones can wind hair around them and make awful tangles (the boar ones would do the same, it's the shape that does it)

so get a square one? i do remember reading somewhere that round brushes are no good for long hair, but i dont understand how hair would wind around it; especially if your'e brushing or detangling slowly.

I have both the wooden comb and brush from Body Shop. While I do love them, they do nothing for oil distribution.
I also have a Tangle Teezer. While it is really good for tangles, I am wondering if it contributed to my scalp flaking a lot this winter - I think the teeth were maybe too rough for my scalp. I could be wrong. I would say it is better for oil distribution than the wood brushes though but not on par with what I've seen with a BBB (basing this on videos).
This will probably make some laugh but I just had to share. When arriving home last night, I was curious to see if a badger bristle brush could do the trick... So off I went to the washroom to try out my husband's shaving/lather brush on my hair. Verdict: either the bristles were too long or too soft, it did nothing! I wasn't going to give the brush a "haircut" in order to get an answer. The man would've been devastated. Either way, it's not a vegan option.
The search continues!

i guess i'll get the wooden comb and tangle teezer then. i've been reading up on tangle teezers now and it seems that it does a pretty good job at detangling without breaking hair. and you said that it does distribute some oils, although not as well as bbb, but it seems like a win win to me. thanks:)

and the badger bristle brush story was funny, but now we know long and soft bristles dont do much haha :D

Changling
March 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
A lot of curly girls can't use brushes, so they scalp massage instead to move sebum onto the strand of the hair. I'm a wavy/wurly, and I can and do use a BBB, but I also like to scalp massage (I call it "hair massage XD because I do a lot of finger-combing too).

You just massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers (take your rings off!) for a minute or two, then sort of weave your fingers into your hair close to the scalp, and gently slide the strands between your fingers, to move the oils off the first inch of strand, down the length. I gradually move this motion out farther and farther from my scalp. It redistributes oils, stimulates growth, and feels REALLY good ^__^

If anyone can explain scalp massages better, feel free to correct me. I am not feeling too articulate today.

SeaLamb
March 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
i do scalp massages like you do, but i dont go all the way down the length of my hair, probly just about to shoulder lenth or so. however, when i do scalp massages i feel like my scalp always looks greasier after 2 or 3 days than if i hadn't done scalp massages. i guess its from the oils on my hands; i wonder if those oils benfit hair like sebum does.

Littlewing13
March 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Havent tried wooden so I dont know. I have a plastic seamless mason pearson comb. I shed less hair with the TT, but it doesnt get through as well while wet, so I still use comb for wet hair. I brush after oiling at night with the TT. Its pretty good. I like it. feels amazing on the scalp.

SeaLamb
March 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Havent tried wooden so I dont know. I have a plastic seamless mason pearson comb. I shed less hair with the TT, but it doesnt get through as well while wet, so I still use comb for wet hair. I brush after oiling at night with the TT. Its pretty good. I like it. feels amazing on the scalp.

TT sounds great even if it doesn't get through wet hair, which isn't really a problem for me, because i dont brush my hair when it's wet anymore. however, have you ever tried the TT in the shower? would it work better on wet hair if you have conditioner in it? that'd be fantastic because although finger combing with conditioner in my hair is better, i still don't like to finger comb.