PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss - really worried!

racrane
March 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hello everyone. I hope you're having a good day. I am worried about my hair thinning and I hope someone can give me good advice.

So, I am 16 weeks pregnant and am upset that my hair has been losing its shine, luster and worst of all, thickness. I never had thick hair to begin with as I thinned out quite a lot two years ago due to eating disorder issues. My body has been abused, basically, and my hair health has shown it.

But, my thickness came back last year and I was excited, knowing my hair could look good long again. I joined LHC and my hair looked great.

But the issue is that I'm now pregnant and my hair is looking pretty rough. I switched to cones again and that made it more shiny but my hair has been thinning. I always thought hair loss came after pregnancy and hair is supposed to be shiny and thick during it, but it's the opposite for me. Is there any advice anyone can give me for this?

Also, I have noticed a lot of thinning around my part. My natural part has extended down my head, freaking me out. I took a picture. (It is not a length shot, merely to show the gradual extension of my part.) Is this normal? I did not move hair around.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8886&pictureid=128758

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you all! Sorry it was so long!

ravenheather
March 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
My first thought is make sure you have enough vitamins and other nutrients that your hair and baby need. You already saw the difference in your hair when you started eating properly. Now your body is going to make sure the baby has what it needs first. Your body including hair will come second. It can be difficult to eat the right things if morning sickness is an issue as well. Talk to your ob about what you need to be eating and take a prenatal vitamin.

midsummernight
March 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I have heard pregnant people having iron deficiencies, which may cause hair loss. But you should talk to your doctor before taking any supplements.

jeanniet
March 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I would talk to your doctor at your next visit. If you haven't had a blood panel done recently, it might be a good idea just in case there's a deficiency that your prenatal vitamins aren't covering. Otherwise, try not to worry too much. Pregancy hormones can do odd things, and it doesn't always give you nicer hair. Once the baby is born and your hormones even out, things should get better.

The extension of your part is probably because you have a cowlick or two back there--it's called "hair cleavage." I have the same thing, and it's just more noticeable as your hair gets longer. Annoying, but harmless.

Scarlet_Heart
March 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
It could be related to so many different things. Definitely talk to the doctor you're seeing throughout the pregnancy about this. Do you have an appointment coming up?

By the way, I empathize, truly. Both as someone who also began recovering from an ED around your age, and as someone who suffered serious hair loss very recently, I know it's heartbreaking. Mine wasn't due to pregnancy though, it was due to a combo of vitamin d deficiency and PCOS. See? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7845&pictureid=128391) But before you know it, after your doc helps you figure it out, it will be thickening up again.

I also know how it feels to think that every thing that goes wrong for you health-wise is your fault because you had an eating disorder. I am finding out that most times, that has nothing to do with it. Once you recover, your body bounces back, especially when you're young. So give yourself a break on that one. :heartbeat:

racrane
March 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am taking a prenatal vitamin and so far my blood work is okay. I am on the low ends due to terrible morning sickness but I'm eating better now that the nausea is going away. I'm hoping it will pick up them.

Thank you again. :) Any more tips would be appreciated but thank you.