PDA

View Full Version : Hair Elastics and Disasters

thelambscottage
March 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I actually use hair elastics every day, but only at the end of a braid. But every time I try a new hair style that involves putting the hair elastic any higher up than the very tip of a braid, it always ends in knotted up disaster:( I really want to try pulling only part of my hair back so it's away from my face, but leaving part of it down and flowing. Are there any hair toys I can trust to do this without getting caught in my hair? I have also had very bad experiences with hair barrettes.

kittengirl
March 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
You should try a claw clip. I use one to bun my (rather short) hair every day, but they come in all sizes and you can use smaller ones for half-ups. I have never had a problem with a claw clip getting caught or tangled in my hair at all, and I am super paranoid about that kind of thing! :)

molly_grue
March 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
what kind of elastics are you using?

thelambscottage
March 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
You should try a claw clip. I use one to bun my (rather short) hair every day, but they come in all sizes and you can use smaller ones for half-ups. I have never had a problem with a claw clip getting caught or tangled in my hair at all, and I am super paranoid about that kind of thing! :)
Thank you Kitten Girl I will try that, thanks for the idea. :)

thelambscottage
March 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
what kind of elastics are you using?
I'm using the Goody "ouchless" kind. The kind with no metal attaching it together.

ravenheather
March 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Try a flexi 8.

SpinDance
March 14th, 2012, 01:27 PM
At about waist I stopped being able to do a half up with an elastic unless it was at the end of a braid. I second the vote for Flexi's. The mini's are for tiny bits of hair, the x-small and small for half ups or holding back small pieces.

Madora
March 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
An all one piece barrette would be the kindest one to use..like the Goody "Ouchless" barrette which is a flexible barrette that is easy to open and close.

For a decorative clip, then the Flexi 8 would look lovely in a half-up. You do have to be careful about taking them out slowly so your hair doesn't accidently get caught in the "arm".

thelambscottage
March 16th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Thank you all for your responses, I think I 'm going to try the flexi 8. I want to say I love being in this group, you guys have an answer for everything, it's great!

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I actually use hair elastics every day, but only at the end of a braid. But every time I try a new hair style that involves putting the hair elastic any higher up than the very tip of a braid, it always ends in knotted up disaster:( I really want to try pulling only part of my hair back so it's away from my face, but leaving part of it down and flowing. Are there any hair toys I can trust to do this without getting caught in my hair? I have also had very bad experiences with hair barrettes.

While those inexperienced with putting hair up often have to use elastics until they develop more confidence, if you're putting the elastic in at the same location every day, eventually you'll have a line of demarcation which is a kind of thinness at that location in the hair. Try to position the elastic somewhere different each day to offset this problem.

Your elastic may be too small or too large for your hair if you try to ponytail higher up. You need enough room in the elastic to allow yourself to pull the hair through the elastic. You just draw all the hair through, all the way through to the ends before allowing the elastic to tighten. This may take you some practice. But you'll get it if you practice it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM
An all one piece barrette would be the kindest one to use..like the Goody "Ouchless" barrette which is a flexible barrette that is easy to open and close.

For a decorative clip, then the Flexi 8 would look lovely in a half-up. You do have to be careful about taking them out slowly so your hair doesn't accidently get caught in the "arm".

AH, I meant to comment regarding barrettes. Today's barrettes actually are poorly designed in that they constantly pull hair when removing the barrette from one's hair. This is the design of today's modern barrettes, unless you can find a hair friendly barrette such as those from France or that might be findable in a long hair salon. (I saw the menu at Madora's in New York City/Manhattan, and it was like being in a candy shop.)

France Lux comes to mind, but it seems they've changed the clamp a little bit and may not be AS hair friendly as they once were. I'd have to see these up closer. But here's a link in case others can see better than myself.

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/franceluxebarrettes/franceluxebarrettes.html

I looked elsewhere for the kind of barrettes I prefer, but it seems no one has them much. Some places don't even show the clamp in a photo at all!

heidi w.

melusine963
March 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM

This is the only thing I've ever got to work on my hair, too.

shirohane
March 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
France Lux comes to mind, but it seems they've changed the clamp a little bit and may not be AS hair friendly as they once were. I'd have to see these up closer. But here's a link in case others can see better than myself.

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/franceluxebarrettes/franceluxebarrettes.html
I have a a pony barrette that has the same type of clamp as the pony barrettes on the site and it's not quite hair friendly as my hair often gets caught in the hinge.

It does say "Made in France" at the back and looks like this one in Tortoise (it might actually be exactly that clip though I paid a lot less for it): http://franceluxe.com/pc/9790/franceluxebarrettes/index.html

Doesn't stop me from wearing it whenever I want a ponytail but it can pull (and snap) at some hair when you're taking it out. :(

thelambscottage
March 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
While those inexperienced with putting hair up often have to use elastics until they develop more confidence, if you're putting the elastic in at the same location every day, eventually you'll have a line of demarcation which is a kind of thinness at that location in the hair. Try to position the elastic somewhere different each day to offset this problem.

Your elastic may be too small or too large for your hair if you try to ponytail higher up. You need enough room in the elastic to allow yourself to pull the hair through the elastic. You just draw all the hair through, all the way through to the ends before allowing the elastic to tighten. This may take you some practice. But you'll get it if you practice it.

heidi w.

Thanks Heidi, yes I have I know what you are saying, I was not pulling the hair all the way through, if only I can get enough courage to try it again... And I have also been looking at those french barrettes, they don't look as scary as those Wal-mart ones I had that were also a disaster. I just really cringe at the thought of anything ripping my hair out.

thelambscottage
March 22nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I have a a pony barrette that has the same type of clamp as the pony barrettes on the site and it's not quite hair friendly as my hair often gets caught in the hinge.

It does say "Made in France" at the back and looks like this one in Tortoise (it might actually be exactly that clip though I paid a lot less for it): http://franceluxe.com/pc/9790/franceluxebarrettes/index.html

Doesn't stop me from wearing it whenever I want a ponytail but it can pull (and snap) at some hair when you're taking it out. :(
Thank you Shirohane, I did look at that website thank you for adding that, those definitely were not looking as scary as the ones I have.