PDA

View Full Version : advice please: trim nape of neck? (picture)

skydancer7
July 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi! I am trying to grow out a short pixie. It's coming along ok, but the back is starting to look a little shaggy. No mullet for me please!!

Here is a pic. My chin is tilted down, so you can't really see what I am talking about as far as shaggy neck-line, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

http://thumbp4.mail.mud.yahoo.com/tn?sid=1974250127&mid=AGrHtEQAAVdVSIZlQgbniEQD0ak&partid=4&f=460&fid=Inbox (http://us.mc460.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showMessage?fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&.rand=140722326&midIndex=1&eps=&prevMid=1_33711_AGHHtEQAAL89SIZriQUiqDpNeVM&nextMid=1_32702_AGbHtEQAAYaOSIZWsAohYis8vN8&m=1_33711_AGHHtEQAAL89SIZriQUiqDpNeVM,1_33276_AGrH tEQAAVdVSIZlQgbniEQD0ak,1_32702_AGbHtEQAAYaOSIZWsA ohYis8vN8,1_193_AF7HtEQAALl6SIF2rgrtl3%2BfaPY,1_11 304_AGzHtEQAAMGOSHbkDAgegxXWYFE,1_11773_AGXHtEQAAY KVSHZxLw0c7QctTmo,1_12386_AF%2FHtEQAAC1FSHYwigR2mj a9AWo,&vs=1&mid=1_33276_AGrHtEQAAVdVSIZlQgbniEQD0ak&pid=4&fn=IMG_0388.JPG)

So should I trim the very bottom until the rest catches up? (I am thinking get it to a single-length bob, then grow out from there)

Or is this a big major PUT DOWN THE SCISSORS situation?

Let me know what you all think. I tend to jump towards scissors (as you can see), so need help determining when it is ok to cut.

Thanks so much!!

Riot Crrl
July 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Still can't see the pics! Suggestions to remedy this are in your other thread. :)

spidermom
July 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I can't see a picture, but if it were me I'd trim. I don't like uneven ends. Most of the time they look scraggly to me. However, this is highly individual. Uneven ends don't bother everybody. If they don't bother you, don't listen to me.

Grow as long as you can stand it before trimming, if you decide you would prefer to trim, so that you can get some length increase going for you. It's very motivating to feel hair tickling you in new places.

skydancer7
July 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Ok lets see if this works:

http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/?action=view&current=IMG_03881.jpg

or

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/<a href=

any luck?

renarok
July 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I think that keeping the neckline trimmed would look better than wispy, though that is also a look....... do you want layers in your long hair eventually or one length?

Riot Crrl
July 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
The first one works!

Hmm, if your first goal is bob anyway, I don't see any reason not to even up those lowest hairs. The very shortest I would go is even with the nape hairline. Then you can keep trimming there and eventually they'll all be even at the nape hairline. I would just resist the urge to trim anything above the nape hairline.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Even I wouldn't trim yet. Give it another month at least.

Tap Dancer
July 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Trim when (or if) it starts to drive you crazy.

chrissy-b
July 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
When my hair was that short I couldn't STAND those little whispy hairs. I also liked a blunt hemline so I'd always shave that part of my neck with clippers and let the layers catch up to a bob. However, whenever I got the clippers near my head I'd end up playing around and trying out a new style, or taking off just a little more here...and there...and there...until my hair was super short again.

Now, even though my hemline is a mess, I'm not trimming so I can get as much length as possible and I'm starting to think it might look okay with fairytale ends.

If you want to gain the most length and can handle layers for a while I'd hold off on trimming for as long as you possibly can.

angelthadiva
July 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I should show you mine! :D

Seriously though; I agree w/SM. Leave it alone for another month, then shape it up.

This is coming from someone who if I didn't cut a hair line into my hair, I wouldn't have one.

julya
July 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
When I was growing out a pixie cut, I would wait to trim until the back was at mid to lower neck level. I wanted to prevent the mullet look. Judging by the photo, I would wait a bit longer.

whiteisle
July 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Of course it's all based on the individual, but with mine, I absolutely HATED my pixie cut and the immediate few months after the initial cut and couldn't wait til I had enough hair to trim it into something more acceptable. I did 3 or 4 "shape-ups" during the first 4 months and then decided to let it go til I can't stand it (which may be sooner than later, lol!:p) I'd love to think I could just let it go until my goal length, but I'm not going to set myself up like that. I just try to take it a few weeks at a time and then re-evaluate. Like right now I like that I can feel my neck hair actually touching my lower neck but style-wise my hair is nothing special to look at. I think with your current length you might be best to let it grow a little while longer if you can stand the wispy-ness (is that a word?).

ps - I love those two little pig tails in the pic - too cute!

lawyermom
July 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'd definitely wait a bit. I had to very recently make the same decision. I had an appointment tomorrow; I cancelled.

MissBiss
July 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ok lets see if this works:

http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/?action=view&current=IMG_03881.jpg

or

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/%3Ca%20href=

any luck?To the right of the picture is a box labelled "IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards". Copy the code in the box and paste in your first post.

On topic: It's too soon to think about cutting your hair.

Julesn
July 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I would definitely be trimming that. It'll just look a lot neater if you keep trimming/cutting the back up so that it grows out more even.

Julie :)

thankyousir74
July 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
NO!! Don't trim!! I also was growing from *very* short and My advice to you is DONT TRIM!! I trimmed a bit, and then I kept thinking about how much longer my hair would be if I hadnt trimmed as much. My suggestion to you, trim AFTER the awkward phase!! You are familiar with the awkward phase, yes? yes. Trim after that!! If not you are only prolonging the awkward phase.

Of course that's just my opinion. Overly zealous, maybe, but only my opinion nevertheless :D