PDA

View Full Version : Leave-in instead of oil

Katze
March 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Hey there LHC

I am an absolute lover of all kinds of leave-in conditioner. Mostly, I use the same conditioners that work for CWC and CO and just put them into wet or dry hair - ends and length only.

This technique also works for my DH who is about at BSL length, f/m, 2c-3a, iii hair. His hair dreads super easily and he does not want dreads so he uses leave-in to help prevent the matted tangles.

When I have tried oil, I have always overdone it, or used so little that it does not seem like it makes a difference. There do seem to be many people here who spend ages looking for the perfect oil, trying out all kinds, buying them from the internet and I just have to ask, why?

If leave-ins work so well for my demanding, wanna-be curly hair (I am mixed between almost straight and almost curly - my hair has so much frizz that I treat it as if it is curlier than it is), and help keep my length moisturized, then why should I even bother using oil?

Perhaps I am just a bit overly low-maintenance but it seems like 'if it ain't broke, don't fit it' and leave-in is - for me - SO much easier than trying to make oil work.

Am I missing something?

HintOfMint
March 14th, 2012, 01:06 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would keep doing what you're doing. Oils aren't for everyone, just as leave-in conditioners aren't for everyone (I'm one of the latter).

Glad you found something that works for you!

morrigan*
March 14th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I actually use both :D, my hair is now in really good condition, despise that half on my length in canopy was bleached almost two years ago :o

Safira
March 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM
i prefer leave-ins and oil. Now I use Kevin Murphys Leave-in and Kitoko hair oil together so that combination works now. Leave-ins rock.

Diamond.Eyes
March 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I like oils, butters, and leave-ins. I use coconut oil, shea butter, and Tigi's cherry almond leave-in. I love the way my hair feels after applying a tiny bit of these three products throughout my hair :p!

ravenheather
March 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Do you use leave in only after a shampoo or every day?

Kelikea
March 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I usually prefer conditioner to oils, but there is a Dr. Bronner's product that is somewhere in between. Its made of oils, but is creamy like a conditioner.http://www.drbronner.com/store/graphics/products/SD0801.jpg

pepperminttea
March 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM
If it works for you, then don't worry about it. :) I use both, but for me oils are definitely not created equal - some work wonderfully for me, others not so much - just like commercial leave-ins in that sense.

Georgies
March 14th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I was just looking at that dr bronner's creme rinse the other day - does it work well?

Even cone free conditioners tend to build up really quickly in my hair if I don't rinse them out. Plus, a few drops of oil goes a long way which is very economical! But to each their own.

mzBANGBANG
March 14th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I use both, but prefer coney leave-ins and serums. I find that doing the oil treatments a couple times, or even once a month is enough for my hair which already produces enough of it's own oil.

If leave-ins are working, don't fuss with the oil! For me, leave ins allow me to go longer without using shampoo. Oils make me look like a grease pit, therefore more washes.

einna
March 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I use both too. Sometimes I mix them, sometimes only oil, other times only leave in conditioner. You dont have to change a thing if it works, but if you do try to experiment, you might find something that works even better. Something to consider. :)