PDA

View Full Version : Running out of ideas...

JLeighs
March 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hello :)

I'm pretty new here, but I've been lurking for awhile trying to soak up information. I have an issue that is frankly driving me crazy, and I'm not sure what to do about it. My hair is very, very easily over-moisturized, and it's a real challenge to keep it balanced (and I mostly fail at it). Compounding the problem is that my scalp is dry, parched, and itchy. Using rich conditioners on it keeps the dryness in check for the most part, but if I get that on my hair, within a few days my hair looks like cotton candy. Today my hair was cotton candy again, so I ended up clarifying. The hair looks much better and now my scalp is driving me insane. I've been battling this for years and I have no idea how to deal with it anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Johanna
March 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Have you gone to a dermatologist to see of there is an underlining issue with your scalp?

sycamoreboutiqu
March 14th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Scalp issues are pretty common here, and trying to balance hair and scalp can be a challenge.

When you say "cotton candy" hair though, I don't get the image of over-moisturized hair. It seems it would be just the opposite. When my hair is big, fluffy and annoying it needs more moisture to help weigh it down. When I clarify, do a CO wash and then some oils or a dab of conditioner over wet hair that is when it behaves the best and looks smooth and shiny.

I have had some success with using Aloe gel on the scalp as a treatment before a CO and in a leave on blend.

Do you use shampoo, do you use it daily ? That may be the trouble.

Alvrodul
March 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM
If your hair is over-moisturized, you will need to add protein. A good, homemade protein treatment treatment is to use low-sodium soy sauce. It really works - mix a teaspoonful or so with water and put on your hair for half an hour or so before you rinse it out of your hair. Repeat as needed. Hair is happy when it has the right balance between moisture and protein.

As for your scalp problem - do you have any allergies that could cause this problem?
I would suggest you take a good, hard look at the ingredients of your hair care products. They could be causing - or at the very least compounding - your scalp problems. And if you are using a shampoo with sulfates, this could strip out the oils in your scalp and hair. One possible cure if this is part of your problem, would be to switch to another, gentler shampoo. Another option might be to add oil. You would have to experiment a bit to see what oil,and what methods work best. A good place for you to start with oils, would be to try coconut oil, since this oil helps with protein retention.

battles
March 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM
My hair starts getting weird and dry if I use conditioners with certain silicones in them too many days in a row, and clarifying always "resets" it. Do you use conditioner with 'cones in them?

JLeighs
March 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I should have given more info about my routine in my post. I've been what they call "modified CG" for the past 3 years. I avoid silicones, I rarely use SLS shampoos, and I have incorporated lots of protein into my regimen. Shortly after going full CG, I became super over-moisturized. I kept thinking my hair was dry, so I kept throwing more moisture at it. By the time I realized I was not dry but severely OM'd, my hair was a wreck. That's when I stopped co washing, started using SLS-free shampoos twice a week or so, and started using more protein-rich products. My hair just doesn't like much moisture. The problem is that my scalp does.

I've just started experimenting with oils. I do know that my hair doesn't like coconut oil. I clarified yesterday to combat the over-moisturized hair and to start fresh with oils because I purchased organic jojoba and some baby oil. I did put some jojoba oil on my scalp last night which immediately calmed it down, but now I have greasy roots. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the oil on my scalp without getting it all over my hair. ;)

I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of. I just know that it's been quite the challenge to keep my scalp and hair happy at the same time.