PDA

View Full Version : My first elastic-less day

Sisgoldenhair65
March 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well, today is the dawning of a new day!! Before LHC I have always used elastics to secure my hair for work (probrably the source of my nape hair breakage). This weekend I purchased some spin pins so I am ready to change my ways. After I took my hair out of my sleep braid it was pretty and soft from the oil I put in last night. So, there I am in my bathroom with my hair down (a rare sight indeed) and spin pins in hand. Ok, what now?? Get to work and make it happen! I gather up all of my fine, braid waved hair and start twisting. When it was rolled up in a little ball I put the spin pins in. I used 3. Well, the pins felt secure and tight but my poor little bun is not at all impressive. My hair is past BSL but my bun is no bigger than a golf ball, it seems. Oh well, my job is not a beauty contest. It's about function. I go to work and the pins hold all day!! My job is very fast paced so that's saying a lot! However, I get no compliments OB my microscopic bun. :(. Last week I wore a sock bun and people would not stop commenting on it's glory. I can't do that too much, tho as I can't do the fully rolled one yet and the other version seems trying on my hair....and it involves the dreaded elastic. So, all in all the spin pins are a hit for me. The thing is they still show since when I put one in you can see the end come out the other side of the bun. Pretty sad, eh? Like I said....this ain't no beauty contest. At least for now!! ;)

Sisgoldenhair65
March 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
P.S. sorry for any typos. The iPhone has a mind of it's own sometimes. Blahhh!

speshe
March 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe try the spin pin minis. They are shorter and you get 3 of them in the package. They might not stick out the other side of the bun?

Sisgoldenhair65
March 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ahhhh, good idea, Speshe. I'm so duhhh! I saw the minis at Target but I already had the regular sized ones so I didn't get them. I shall add them to my list. ;). P.S..your hair is so pretty....love the color and texture!'.

lunalocks
March 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Try braiding your hair, then bunning with spin pins. it gives the illusion of more hair.

Kiwiwi
March 14th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Try braiding your hair, then bunning with spin pins. it gives the illusion of more hair.

She did ^_^ She says so in her first post ^_^

Sisgoldenhair65
March 14th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I haven't really braided my hair for work yet. Just mainly for bed. I love the pretty braid buns I see here but have no idea how to do them. Sometimes I feel I have no right having long hair as my updo abilities are zip. :(

Sisgoldenhair65
March 14th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Yay, me!!! I just did my hair in a French braid and tucked the hanging braid under and secured it with a Goody flexi thingy!! It took all of about 5 mins and it actually looks kinda pretty. I took a pic so when I can post pics I will. Thx for all of your suggestions!! :)

irishlady
March 14th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I love that happy feeling I get when I try something new with my hair and it's a success too :)

Have you tried the mini-spin pins though? They come in packs of three instead of two. Maybe they'd be more hidden in your bun?

Sisgoldenhair65
March 14th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hi, Irish....I am going to try those. At first I didnt know they came in two sizes because the store I bought them at only had regular size. I'm going to try the Rite-Aid next to my work on my lunch break....I am obsessed!! Lol

Sisgoldenhair65
March 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM
No mini spin pins at Rite-Aid. I stopped before work because I just couldn't wait till lunch. They only had the regular sized ones for people who actually have hair. Lol

irishlady
March 14th, 2012, 07:54 AM
No mini spin pins at Rite-Aid. I stopped before work because I just couldn't wait till lunch. They only had the regular sized ones for people who actually have hair. Lol

Maybe try Claire's Accesories? I don't know where in the world you are, but here in Ireland I can find them in Claire's, and when I was in the States, Walmart and Meijer usually had both sizes.

einna
March 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Congrats on your milestone. I am sure your bun looked super cute! :)

PixxieStix
March 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Woo-hoo! Isn't finding an elastic free option great?! I hope you can find the mini ones soon!

Sisgoldenhair65
March 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Thank you, ladies....I am determined to get this updo this down. I got some compliments on my braid today, also. :).
Irish, I live in the states and do have a mall very close to me which of course does have a Claires store. I can't wait to go there and check out the hair toy selection! Maybe this weekend if I get the time between kid's sports and other weekend stuff.

speshe
March 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Ahhhh, good idea, Speshe. I'm so duhhh! I saw the minis at Target but I already had the regular sized ones so I didn't get them. I shall add them to my list. ;). P.S..your hair is so pretty....love the color and texture!'.

Haha, I only thought of it because I had the same problem. ;)

Edited To add - thanks for the compliment on my hair!

torrilin
March 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM
The minis are pretty handy even if you have a lot of hair :). You can use them for a lot of different cute sectioned hairstyles.

Silverbrumby
March 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I love using childrens chopsticks. I've got a wee bun but it looks bigger in photos.

jacqueline101
March 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'd try spin pins they're great.

melusine963
March 16th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I made the switch from daily elastic use to spin pins in December (an early Christmas present to myself) and I've never looked back. One of the great hair care changes I've made thanks to this site. :)