PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hair

jennescence
March 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Alright, it may not be summer but it is getting really hot outside here. My hair is not long enough for hair sticks but long enough to drive me crazy. So my dilemma is i have no idea how to wear my hair. I cant pull it up every day with a ponytail holder because that causes breakage. So how am i supposed to keep my hair up off my neck? My hair is to the top of my bra strap but way too thick to use sticks or combs. I feel stuck.

Kyla
March 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I make gentler ponytail holder by horizontally cutting strips out of the legs of tights. They work fairly well, and I've never noticed any damage with them.

jennescence
March 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
That is seriously the best idea ever! Thank you so much! You potentially saved me from cutting the whole mess off.

Quixii
March 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM
What about using claw clips (http://s2.folica.com/img/product/0/005995/main/folica-2-1-2-claw-clip-350x350.jpg) to secure a bun? I use them often with great success. :)

Kyla
March 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it, lol. :) I read it somewhere on here a long time ago. But I'm happy I helped in potentially saving your hair!

racrane
March 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Braids? They work well for me. I braided pretty much the whole summer last year.

BranwenWolf
March 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I love bandanas and two french braids.
You can use the bandana like a "do-rag" or like a regular ponytail holder, tie it in a knot around your hair.

battles
March 14th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Flexi-8's, claw clips.. Have you tried spin pins?

sfgirl
March 14th, 2012, 12:58 AM
A snood perhaps?

jennescence
March 15th, 2012, 02:11 PM
A snood perhaps?
I'm going to be honest, i'm not really sure what a snood is?

heidi w.
March 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Braids can be a part of your choices. I don't know how long your hair is, though.

heidi w.

Zindell
March 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Beak clips! Perfect for half long hair. I use them in the summers.
Just twist the hair up messy "French twist style" and fasten it with the beak clip. It takes 5 seconds :)

I buy gentle plastic ones without "teeth" that doesn't seem to damage my hair at all.

(There are some metal ones that clips to the hair very "hard" that I avoid)

kidari
March 15th, 2012, 03:23 PM
french twist is my favorite and you could try doing two or three cinnamon buns, I like it when they are doing down the center of your head like a mohawk

Arashi
March 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Two french braids have been my go-to style in the hot weather recently. The elastics used to fasten them aren't much of a concern to me since they're at a part of my hair that will get trimmed off sooner or later if I even get any noticeable damage from them. :)

jacqueline101
March 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I like scrunchi wash in go if you sweat a lot. You can put them over a bun.

patienceneeded
March 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Alright, it may not be summer but it is getting really hot outside here. My hair is not long enough for hair sticks but long enough to drive me crazy. So my dilemma is i have no idea how to wear my hair. I cant pull it up every day with a ponytail holder because that causes breakage. So how am i supposed to keep my hair up off my neck? My hair is to the top of my bra strap but way too thick to use sticks or combs. I feel stuck.

If I'm reading you right, you say your hair is at your bra-strap? My hair is just past that, and is also super thick (5" ponytail circumference), but I have been able to use sticks and forks since just past APL. I can't do most of the "fancy" buns that others can do, due to hair thickness, but I can get a stick, a pair of sticks, or a fork to hold comfortably all day. A ficcare works too, but only in a french-twist thing. My hair just doesn't have the length to be bunned yet...too thick.

Check out youtube for simple 1-stick hairstick styles. I've also got some pics in my album (2011) of my hair in a very simple hairstick style that worked well when my hair was shorter (just past APL) in spite of my thickness.

Take some time and play around with your hair, find a way to make it work for you. Don't worry about trying to force your hair into a certain style, just play with getting the stick or fork to hold and contain your hair. Oh, I can never get pencils to stay, an actual hairstick seems to be better (for me).

Good luck!

Maelyssa
March 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I'm another vote for claw clips. You can get them in such a variety of sizes and colors. I pretty much used them exclusively one year to keep my hair up from spring to fall because I was hot and uncomfortable. They were a life saver. And it doesn't hurt that they're cheap and you find them just about everywhere.