PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on cold fusion aka micro-loop(or "micro link") hair extensions?

EvilPigeon
March 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Recently, I was introduced to the concept of micro-loop/micro-link/cold fusion hair extensions. For those of you who are not familiar with this type of hair extension, they are attached near the scalp with a small bead that is lined with silicone. They are said to last about 4-6 months and supposedly do not damage your hair if applied correctly.

I must admit, going through my awkward growing phase has me tempted to try these out for just a few months. I know of a very affordable local salon who uses this method. So I figure, what do I have to lose?

On the other hand, I am worried about potential damage to my *real* hair from the beads. Without using heat, could wearing silicone-lined beads for a few months damage the hair? :confused:

I suppose I could always try a few strands of pink as an alternative to getting "real" highlights and go from there!

What do you guys think?

Kyla
March 13th, 2012, 06:30 PM
On google images, it appears that the same method is used to attach feather hair extensions.

I had a feather attached to my hair with a silicone bead for probably around four months. When I took it out, a small chunk of the hair it was attached to came out with it. So yeah, there was damage, even though I thought I took care of it. :( Luckily it was only one extension, and I can't notice it now.

I would think that many of those would be very damaging over time, honestly. They are silicone lined, but in my experience the crushed and pulled on the scalp hair, ripping it out.

EvilPigeon
March 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience :( However, I did hear from a few youtube videos that a lot of hair will fall out when you remove your hair extensions, as we shed hundreds of hairs daily! Just imagine the build up of hair over a few months...it is probably normal, but I don't doubt the possibility of damage occurring.

Kyla
March 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
That is true, but a lot of the hair that fell out had broken ends (as in, the end closest to the scalp) as well. Although, some did ends with the root, and that could either be from shedding or being pulled. I didn't consider shedding though. :)

Another alternative is removable extensions, like Luxy or some other brand. I've heard (but have no personal experience) that they are not damaging.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. :)

vanity_acefake
March 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
When I read your title I thought you meant nuclear cold fusion!
My bad. :)

kitcatsmeow
March 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Recently I dabbled with getting the exact same method of extensions and even made and cancelled two appointments! After researching it's just too risky. Some people are lucky and have very little damage but some suffer lots. My sister recently had the warm fusion installed and although they look beautiful, she said she is already tired of taking care of them and wants them out but is nervous to see the aftermath.

There will be some no matter what.

I eventually purchased some high quality skin weft seamless tape) extensions that I could experiment with. They are fantastic. I did a whole head application myself. They blended and I didn't even really notice them.

An hour later I took them out! lol. Honestly all that fake hair hanging from my head freaked me out. I felt so strange. They did remove very easily with oil and I think I maybe lost 4-5 hairs.

They did feel secure though and had I gone over the weft with my straightener I'm sure they would have lasted weeks with proper care.

Littlewing13
March 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
DONT DO IT!

I used to do keratin extensions, not micro loop, but I have taken out many micro loop extensions & also had them in myself once. You will lose a significant amount of hair as well as it will be super uncomfortable to sleep. I have had many people come to me to take them out within a week of getting them put in.

Keratin can be quite damaging too, in the same way that cornrows & smaller braids can be. Traction damage.

I would highly recommend clip in extensions if you must, much less damage plus you can take them out overnight. I know people who go swimming in theirs. I have a set that I wear just for special occasions.

EvilPigeon
March 14th, 2012, 01:00 AM
What are Keratin extensions? Also, do you think it would be a bad idea to get micro loops just for a few streaks of colour?

misspurdy06
March 14th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Those would be good to add volume (a little) but length? Do I need to post a picture of Britney Spears? She used it to add length after she shaved her head. What do you think.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VcITOvFAXds/TdZ69YAvddI/AAAAAAAABJ4/nyal5gbAsrE/s1600/britney_spears_extensions2_-1.jpg

joflakes
March 14th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I had these for a while back in November.
They're expensive, uncomfortable to sleep on, a pain to brush and wash, and aren't worth it! I had mine for three weeks before I went mad and took them out.
The main thing for me was not being able to get at my scalp, freaked me out!
If you just want some colour and have a few in, fine. I wouldn't see that as a problem...I just really don't recommend a whole head!
I didn't have that much breakage. When I took them out it was all shed hairs...but there were A LOT! It was kinda scary.

So yeah...in summary...do not recommend unless you have a very small area of them!

Hairizona
March 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I had extensions in my hair years ago just prior to joining this site and beginning to grow my hair out again. I had 2 different types within a 7 month period; the 1st type was applied with heat, the 2nd w/o heat and with a clear band to the hairs.
I ended up with widespread and extreme damage to my hair. Everyplace that the extensions had been applied were areas that there was no hair upon removal; rows of bald spots. It took a while for the hair follicles to come out of shock and for new growth to start again.
After all this time, I continue to have to trim to thicken up my hemline d/t hair still catching up with the rest.
Trying to sleep on a head full of extensions was exquisitely uncomfortable, my BF at the time would not touch my hair, shampooing, brushing etc. were a PITA,I couldn't be in any breeze for fear the extensions beneath would reveal my secret, the 1st extensions shed like a sheepdog, extensions take a looong time to put in, and did I tell you about the cost?!...
There is nothing (underlined and emboldened) advantageous about extensions; the damage they do to your hair is not worth it!!!

UltraBella
March 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
As a salon owner who offers micro-loop extensions, I do not recommend them. Usually there are lots of little broken hairs when they are removed yet some people still insist on getting them. It can thin an area of hair out significantly.

Littlewing13
March 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Keratin extensions are like the glue ones, only they use keratin instead of glue to bond the hair. The bond is a bit more flexible. Brands include Cinderella & Great Lengths. You will still shed a fair bit of hair on removal. Last officially 3-6 months, however I wouldn't leave it in any longer than 4 as it just increases the amount of your own hair that falls the longer you leave it in for. Same with micro-loops (though most cant physically stand to have them in that long).

I honestly, after years of applying/removing hair extensions, recommend clip ins. You can get single strands that just look like a foil of colour, you can also get full head sets. They come in synthetic & human hair. For just some colour you can get synthetic ones from most bargain shops for really cheap, or get them off ebay. Human hair you can colour & style as though its your own hair. If you get silicon backed clips they wont fall out & you wont have to tease you hair. They take 5min to put in after a bit of practise. Top brands online are luxy, headcandy, hello gorgeous, foxy locks.

Gingerbear
March 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I eventually purchased some high quality skin weft seamless tape) extensions that I could experiment with. They are fantastic. I did a whole head application myself. They blended and I didn't even really notice them.

Kitcatsmeow,

Where did you purchase your skinweft extensions? Do you think you could have slept in them without tangling? I have been debating on trying these. Right now I wear clip ins for special occasions, but it would be nice to have something I could leave in for a few weeks that wasn't majorly damaging.