PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't putting dye, relaxer, or perm deter hair growth potential

redsoles
March 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi guys, Good morning/Afternoon,

Have you guys, any of you, previously used dyes or any really harsh chemicals like relaxer or perm in your hair? And after discontinuing, have you noticed a huge difference in your overall hair health and growth rate?

I know a lot of people that dye hair like crazy, I know other women of color that constantly dye, and relax their hair. And they can't comprehend why their hair breaks, and seems to never really grow. I think it grows but, the hair breakage is so terrible from all the chemicals and manipulation that it probably seems as if it is getting no where. Am I onto something?

Has anyone experienced this or know anyone similar?
Don't these harsh chemicals ruin your hair in the long-term if continued? I would think it's much safer to go natural if you'd want to see pleasant results.

ladyshep
March 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I won't ever do it again.

I notice when people get perms, it takes the shine right out of the hair. As a former hairdresser, I have seen people's damage from chemical treatments right before my very eyes. That's why they get a cut often and have to use silicones to smooth it all out to hide damage.

Best to stay away if planning on growing hair out.

Amber_Maiden
March 13th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Chemicals from hair dye, perms, or permanent straightening do indeed damage your hair and can impede growth, as it does cause hair damage and for the hair to break, or even fall out.

redsoles
March 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I won't ever do it again.

I notice when people get perms, it takes the shine right out of the hair. As a former hairdresser, I have seen people's damage from chemical treatments right before my very eyes. That's why they get a cut often and have to use silicones to smooth it all out to hide damage.

Best to stay away if planning on growing hair out.

Ya I figured. I used to have really really long, (if my mother hadn't put Chemicals in my hair, it would be at my hips right now) but I'm going natural right now and there's a huge improvement. My sister relaxers her hair a lot while "growing her hair out". I think it makes much more sense to just go natural, no chemicals, and leave hair alone My mother went natural years ago, her hair is to her butt now, natural curls, of corse she trims off a lot though.

It's really sad that, in my experience, at hair salons at least the ones I went to, whenever I'd come back with 6inches of hair growth, they cut it all off an it wasn't even damaged. I stopped going to hair salons as well because they did more damage than good.

Merlin
March 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Mrs M has hair which grows fast, thick and healthy.
After she perms it (which she has done on occasions) it grows fast, thick and healthy.
Occasionally she colours it, after which it grows fast, thick and healthy.

The way her hair grows is not one whit altered by either perming or chemicals. Sample of one I know, but it's still a sample.

heidi w.
March 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Yes, because these things can compromise the hair's integrity and cause hair to break off. One is then changing the texture of the hair.

heidi w.

kitcatsmeow
March 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
What they said! But can you still have long beautiful chemically treated hair? Absolutely. I've always been able to grow long hair with dyed hair and even hi lift blonde. You just have to be very very very careful with it. Also don't continuously use chemicals.

Tisiloves
March 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I had lovely waist length ultra-dyed hair. It depends
a)how well your hair holds up to particular treatments, my hair was completely unfazed with black dye, but peroxide and perming kills it.
b) how you treat it otherwise, if you really baby it, it probably won't affect it as much.

lapushka
March 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Mrs M has hair which grows fast, thick and healthy.
After she perms it (which she has done on occasions) it grows fast, thick and healthy.
Occasionally she colours it, after which it grows fast, thick and healthy.

The way her hair grows is not one whit altered by either perming or chemicals. Sample of one I know, but it's still a sample.

This has been my experience with perms as well. It did not impede hair growth for me. I just accepted I had a different texture and dealt with it. My last perms were especially mild compared to those I had in the '80s.