PDA

View Full Version : Starting this thing off right

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
So, even though I've been growing my hair from a short cut for 2 1/2 yrs I feel like my hair journey is just beginning. Mainly because for me the road from BSL to TBL is the most difficult. It seems that's when my hair is the hardest to please and it becomes dry on the ends and prone to breakage. Since I found this board I really feel like I can do it!! Here's my plan of action: Tonite I will wash with a clarifying shampoo (I only have Paul Mitchell at the moment so that's what I will use), tomorrow I'm getting a trim with my stylist...maybe an inch? From then on there I will do CO washes once per week and wear my hair up most of the time while oiling with coconut oil. Does this sound ok? It may be difficult for you to get an idea since I have no clue how to type my hair. It's straight with a 2.75 ponytail circumference. It is also colored and highlighted but not in terrible condition. I mentioned this in my intro thread in the newbie section but not sure if anyone saw it so I'm restating (sorry to be redundant). Anyways, question: when I clarify tonite should I condition also? I'm very excited for the second half of my hair growing journey with all of you and would really love any input or suggestions...thx! :)

Miss Catrina
March 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
CO washing (especially only once per week) and oiling sounds like you're going to be veeeery greasy for a while. But if your hair likes it and you can stand it, go for it!

coneyisland
March 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, always condition after shampooing.

I think an inch is a bit much unless you have damaged ends that far up.

Keep your hair up to protect your ends from wear. At that length range, the ends are especially prone to wear from clothing.

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Miss Catrina, ha....my scalp is very dry and it takes a long time to show any grease. Maybe I'll just oil my ends every couple of days. I'll have to experiment with this since I am so new to the whole thing.
Coneyisland, my ends aren't too damaged. Hmmm, maybe a half inch? And thx for the answer to my question. :) Should I condition with a no cone conditioner?

coneyisland
March 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, I think a half inch trim would be better. Your hair needs to be kept well moisturized, so I would suggest any moisturizing conditioner. You can get some moisturizing ones with cones that might help protect your ends between clarifying washes.

Be sure to do your own detangling at the salon, and do not permit the stylist to use appliances on your hair. Ask for very sharp scissors for your trim.

Are you all set with hair toys (or implements) for a protective styling routine?

heidi w.
March 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I recently posted a hair oiling tutorial on youtube. If you're COing and doing the switch, others have suggested you might be a bit greasy. So I would say only oil the length, not the scalp related hair.

This is a link to the Mane Forum thread that has my video link posted in it.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89834

This is the link to the video itself on youtube. You might find it somewhat helpful.

http://youtu.be/hjVwPKMQDYk

Good luck with your plans. I am unclear why you're planning a trim exactly. Make sure they only remove what you request. Perhaps wear a striped shirt (running crosswise) to help the stylist cut just so much. If your ends are not in disrepair, there is no real reason to trim.

The problem of scalp hair being somewhat more moist or even oily or greasy-ish, and the ends dry or length dry, is a very common experience. Oiling helps, wearing hair up helps, detangling with a wide-toothed comb (if you have that kind of hair type for using a comb at all), sleeping on a satin or in a satin sleeping cap helps.

My very best.
heidi w.

heidi w.
March 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Yes, I think a half inch trim would be better. Your hair needs to be kept well moisturized, so I would suggest any moisturizing conditioner. You can get some moisturizing ones with cones that might help protect your ends between clarifying washes.

Be sure to do your own detangling at the salon, and do not permit the stylist to use appliances on your hair. Ask for very sharp scissors for your trim.

Are you all set with hair toys (or implements) for a protective styling routine?

There is absolutely no need to clarify on any regular basis, generally speaking. I wouldn't recommend a calendared event or schedule. It's unnecessary.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yes, always condition after shampooing.

I think an inch is a bit much unless you have damaged ends that far up.

Keep your hair up to protect your ends from wear. At that length range, the ends are especially prone to wear from clothing.

If you have to choose to spend your money on shampoo or conditioner, I recommend spending the bigger bucks on conditioner as that matters a lot.

The thing people don't seem to keep in mind too well, is that the ends represent the oldest hair, and thus, the more fragile hair. This hair is most in need of quality care and being kept out of the wind, fabric buttons and zippers, getting caught in doors or on handles......Our youngest hair is at the scalp; oldest hair at the bottom of the whole length. And in between, gradually older and older hair.

heidi w.

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Thank you all for all of your advise!! Heidi, I'm getting a trim because I did get some light, long layers back in Sept. for some added fullness. However, I didn't take into account that my ends would be thinner when I asked for them...silly me. So, my ends are kinda thin. Also, I looked at my "hemline" in the mirror and it's quite a joke. No definition at all. :(. I feel a trim would help that greatly. I never really looked at the back of my hair till now. Yikes! As far as the hair toys go....I got some spin pins. Having trouble finding any sticks or forks. :(. I did get the satin pillow cases, tho. Wow, so much better and comfy too!! :).
Sidenote: Heidi, your hair is amazing!!

bubblyredhead
March 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I found some cheap sticks at walgreens a couple nights ago I also found some forks at my local food pyramid it is a grocery store so not sure what is near you or not. etsy is also a good place to find sticks and forks

novemberfoxtrot
March 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I co wash and only wash about once a week. Once I figured out how to rinse properly I didn't have any problems with greasies so I'm sure you'll be ok.

Also, here's a great deal on starter sticks. I love mine! Pacific Merchantile (http://www.etsy.com/listing/87427519/hair-sticks-reserved-for-lhclhnutt-maple)

blondie9912
March 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM
That sounds like a good plan. If you want to reduce your layers, make sure you tell your stylist to ONLY trim the perimeter of the hair, NOT adding any new layers/trimming old ones. That way you can keep your hemline neat while allowing the shorter layers to catch up.

The oiling/updos are a great idea, that's what really helped my hair at the beginning. Make sure you don't fuss with your hair too much and limit brushing/combing to reduce shedding.

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Ahhhh, Walgreens....will try!! No Food Pyramid round here, tho. I went to two beauty supply stores and was surprised not to find any. I'm guessing they aren't in "fashion"? Once I find them I must learn to utilize them. I can't seem to work an updo without elastics yet. Ugh

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Ahhhh, Walgreens...must try there. So far I went to two beauty supply stores and Target but no sticks, forks or flexis. I'm guessing they're not in "fashion"? Blahhh, what do they know? I don't have a Food Pyramid round here but I'm still going to try Claires and I will check out the Etsy site as well. Thx :)

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Uugh, double post...sorry. When I looked on the thread after I posted the first time it wasn't there. Dumb iPhone!

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Update: so, I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo, conditioned and applied what I thought was a small amount of coconut oil on my damp hair. I combed it out and let it dry. Result?....limp, greasy hair. Epic fail!! I put it up in a French braid to sleep and tomorrow it will go up for work so it's ok. I'm thinking my hair can use the extra moisture. What do you all recommend for my next wash? This is definitely going to be a trial and error kinda thing. Lol. I hope I can get it right eventually.

Sisgoldenhair65
March 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Thx for the link, November. I will def check it out!! Also, Blondie, thx for the tips. When I see my stylist tomorrow I will tell her to only trim half inch off ends. I can't wait till she takes my hair down and sees all the limp greasiness! She's gonna freak! Lmao

Sisgoldenhair65
March 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Update # 2: I chickened out on the trim because when I woke up this morning and took my hair out of the braid it actually felt and looked really nice..including the ends! It still felt a bit heavy but much better. Wow, what a difference!! Maybe I will get tr trim at my next color touch-up...maybe. ;)

HintOfMint
March 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Do be careful with the CO washing. I know you said your scalp is dry, but exclusively doing CO could lead to increased shedding. CO caused me to shed buckets. It doesn't happen to everyone but it is something to watch out for.

Best of luck! Sounds like you have the right attitude and frame of mind for long hair!