PDA

View Full Version : Brushing For Curlies/Wurlies?

DaniVerde
March 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hi!

I'm a 3a/3b wurly curly, who is a recovering straightening and heat-styling addict :cheese: (still have some damage to trim off at some point this year...)

My question is: How do you other curlies brush/comb/detangle? What item do you use, and when do you do it? (dry, wet, in shower) I've used a brush on my hair when it's straight, but I can remember my mom using what she called a "pick" in my hair when I was a kid...

Advice, please? :)

spidermom
March 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I brush before washing to remove as many of the shed hairs as possible.

I try to leave my hair alone and down the first day I wash because the wurliness is so pretty.

I comb and/or brush when I'm ready to put my hair up and out of my way.

I have a paddle brush with a soft bristles in a flexible base. And yes, there are little knobs on the tips of the bristles, but they seem to be molded that way rather than the typical kind where the little balls are separate from the bristles but pressed onto them.

kitschy
March 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The only time I detangle is when my hair is wet and soaked with conditioner, while in the shower with a wide toothed comb.

moon2dove
March 12th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I use a wide tooth comb every time. I comb before hair washing, that's all and in between, I mostly finger-comb.
Sometimes, but fairly rarely I will brush with a paddle brush, just because I love the feel of a brush through my hair :)

rock007junkie
March 12th, 2012, 01:06 PM
The curly girl method advocates to only using your fingers to detangle while in the shower. The reason for that being that you want to preserve your curl patter and a comb or brush would just break it up. I've tried to do this myself but I really like to remove all shed hair and I don't think my fingers do a really good job at that. I use my tangle teezer. While it has been very effective at removing shedded hair it just completely messed up my curl pattern.

coldclarity
March 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I comb my conditioner through in the shower with a wide toothed comb. Sometimes I give it a once through once I've taken the towel off my head and put in leave-in conditioner and gel. That's it. If I want to put it up once I've started to lose some curl, I finger comb.

DaniVerde
March 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Thank you everyone, it's been interesting to see what everyone does :)

The curly girl method advocates to only using your fingers to detangle while in the shower. The reason for that being that you want to preserve your curl patter and a comb or brush would just break it up. I've tried to do this myself but I really like to remove all shed hair and I don't think my fingers do a really good job at that. I use my tangle teezer. While it has been very effective at removing shedded hair it just completely messed up my curl pattern.

Do you mean permanently messed up or just messed up until you get your hair wet again? :confused:

kitschy
March 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM

I follow the curly girl method. That's where I learned to detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb.

littleizz
March 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
^^ Copy what most have said about the Curly Girl method :) I do use a wide-tooth comb in the shower, since I feel like finger-combing doesn't get rid of all of the shed hairs that curly hair accumulates. Also, if I feel like I'm losing my curl, but I'm not ready to wash yet, I will detangle, brush it out, sprinkle in a little corn starch as dry shampoo, and put it in an updo.

For reference... pre-brush...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9726&pictureid=128540

...post-brush :p
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9726&pictureid=126900

fridgee
March 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I only use my fingers to detangle in the shower when it's full of conditioner. If it's down (when it's most likely to tangle) I try not to touch it at all or it ruins the curls, but if I need to in order to separate it to put it up I will reluctantly finger comb it. No combs or brushes for me.

3azza
March 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I use my fingers to detangle wet hair soaked with conditioner.

Covet
March 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm also a super curly but I'm recovering from over dying and bleaching :(

I only detangle my hair when it is wet and absolutely soaked in conditioner, it's the only thing that works. I do not recommend detangling before washing your hair at all or any kind of dry brushing for our curly hair type. Anyway, when my hair is wet and with conditioner in it, I section off a tiny amount of hair and then use a Tangle Teezer to work from the tips up to the roots of my hair.

Envari
March 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
If I dare to detangle when dry, I'm sure to end up like Sideshow Bob with added frizz. To avoid breaks (and the not-so-charming-look) I only detangle when washing and only when soaked in conditioner.

For the life of me I can't detangle with my fingers alone so I use a comb - I am considering a TT since it seems to do the job in a gentle way on most curlies/wurlies but haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

jackie_brown
March 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I finger-comb my hair when they're wet and full of conditioner, no combs and no brushes.
I comb them only if i have to henna.

Georgies
March 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I do detangle my hair when it's dry - as soon as I wet it, it springs back to life. My hair is very fragile when wet, so I briefly use a very wide tooth comb when conditioning and then I don't touch it. I could never figure out how to finger comb it without pulling my hair out...

RedBlue
March 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I comb my hair right after a shower. I used to brush my hair everyday, but now, I don't do it as often. I don't know why, because my hair won't turn into a lion's mane when brushed...

GRU
March 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
This is what happens to my hair if I brush it:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg

I only brush it if I'm going to shower, if I'm working through oils, or if I'm going to bun/braid it. And I only use a Tangle Teezer to brush.

I only comb it if I'm in the shower with it drenched in conditioner.

jeanniet
March 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
For detangling, I use a very wide-toothed comb (1/2" between teeth) and I detangle dry. I do lose some curl this way, but I can't just detangle in the shower--I have to detangle twice a day or I get too many knots in my hair. So most of the time I'm on the wavier side of curly. I do brush a few times a week, but my hair doesn't frizz out the way it would for someone with 3b or higher hair.

DreadfulWoman
March 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I have wavy hair, and I only detangle when it's dry. I usually just finger comb, and sometimes use a wide tooth comb or tangle teazer. I tried the whole detangling in the shower thing, but I couldn't get it to work for me. My hair just wants to break when it's wet. My hair doesn't have enough curl to get very big when I brush it out, so that's not really an issue. I do try to leave it alone right after it's dried, since that's when it's at its waviest, and I save the more serious detangling for just before I shower, when it's as straight as it ever gets.

DaniVerde
March 13th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Thanks again everyone!

I tried detangling in the shower this morning, and I have to admit that my hair looks better! (still puffy from lack of leave-in, and with about 1.5 cm of suspiciously straight ends, but much better!!!) :cheese:

Covet
March 13th, 2012, 04:27 PM
If I dare to detangle when dry, I'm sure to end up like Sideshow Bob with added frizz. To avoid breaks (and the not-so-charming-look) I only detangle when washing and only when soaked in conditioner.

For the life of me I can't detangle with my fingers alone so I use a comb - I am considering a TT since it seems to do the job in a gentle way on most curlies/wurlies but haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

Haha, this is the exact same with me! Definitely get a TT, it is amazing and saves me a LOT of time :)

Envari
March 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Haha, this is the exact same with me! Definitely get a TT, it is amazing and saves me a LOT of time :)

Will do!

I just realized there's a "curlies when brushed"-picture thread in here. Maybe I should add a pic of me featuring Sideshow Bob-style :D