PDA

View Full Version : How to blow your hair up for the next month

styric
March 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Realize you've got some buildup from previous conditioners (from the R&B I think) so clarify. Halfway through your shower, in laws call to say you're going for lunch in an hour and must look presentable... no usual messy braid/bun.

EEK. Hair flying around in a parched stripped poof. I tried conditioner, but it really needed a DT to get it manageable. So I had to slap silicone serum on it to make the deadline.

I washed it off with sls as soon as I got home. There's no breakage, just major dryness and will probably have to cut out alot of split ends later. I SMTed it overnight, and now will spend the next month CO washing and babying it until it stops sulking in a tangled mess.

The things we do to be presentable...

melusine963
March 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It's scary to think that all that results from one silicone use. For what it's worth, the braid in our avatar doesn't look messy at all.

spidermom
March 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
OMG; if my in-laws gave me a dress code, I'd say no thank you.

skaempfer
March 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Yeah, that was my immediate thought, too.

lapushka
March 12th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Same here. They could go to hell if they did that.

styric
March 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
It's scary to think that all that results from one silicone use. For what it's worth, the braid in our avatar doesn't look messy at all.

My hair loves silicone, it just doesn't like it slapped straight over without some sort of moisture under it. If it's already happy, silicone makes it soft and detangled.

Thank you :D I've been working to get the layers to sit right in updos and braids. Layers = messy updos. No layers = dreaded triangle head

styric
March 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
SUCCESS!!

After the clarify then having to run for lunch using styling product left me with a matted, velcro, dry disaster... I S&D'd so many split ends that I was nearly in tears. CO-washed only and keeping hair in a bun slathered in leave in. The humidity came up so I used an SMT. This brought it to the point today where it felt greasy and heavy rather than thirsty.

So I S&Ced, slathered with Panacea and let it air dry. It's been like silk since it dried. My ends are super delicate right now so I used some Aveda serum to keep the tangles at minimum then put in a howser braid for the day/evening.

Finally recovered! I'm amazed at how much damage ONE mis-timed application of silicone heavy serum can do to stripped hair. I'm usually very paranoid that I only use serums when my hair is soft, silky and moisturized BEFORE they even go on.

Lipbalmbabe
March 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
What was the silicone

SUCCESS!!

After the clarify then having to run for lunch using styling product left me with a matted, velcro, dry disaster... I S&D'd so many split ends that I was nearly in tears. CO-washed only and keeping hair in a bun slathered in leave in. The humidity came up so I used an SMT. This brought it to the point today where it felt greasy and heavy rather than thirsty.

So I S&Ced, slathered with Panacea and let it air dry. It's been like silk since it dried. My ends are super delicate right now so I used some Aveda serum to keep the tangles at minimum then put in a howser braid for the day/evening.

Finally recovered! I'm amazed at how much damage ONE mis-timed application of silicone heavy serum can do to stripped hair. I'm usually very paranoid that I only use serums when my hair is soft, silky and moisturized BEFORE they even go on.

styric
March 23rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
Paul Mitchell SSS. It's a great product, just can cause problems if you're not careful. I also use Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid though I don't like it as much.

My hair tangles even while braided and I find detangling to be more damaging than appropriate use of a serum to keep it loose. It does kill my curls, so I only use it when I want wavy vs curly hair, and when I'm doing updos. It is the only thing with silicones I use, everything else is free so if my hair is parched I can switch to SLS/silicone free for as long as needed to fix it. I'm lucky I can switch at will with no real ill effects.

I'm rather happy with it today. This is after wearing it all day, including outside gardening in the wind:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=10049&pictureid=129441