PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone's hair type changed? Gone from curly to slightly wavy?

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have fine hair, and it's always been curly but lately it's been way loose, and when I tie it up it looks wavy. Sometimes when strands fall, I can look at my new growth and it looks wavy, not curly.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to detangle and comb through curly/wavy fine hair after a shampoo? It's Irittating and I hate when my hair breaks since it's so fragile and fine... Any shampoos or conditions or deep conditioners or oils you guys can recommend?

Safira
March 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
You donīt use conditioner at all? No wonder your hair breaks..
You should use conditioner, in market thereīs always something, like Pantene or Garnier Fructis.. And deep conditioning SMT: one part honey, one part Aloe Vera, two part conditioner.

Noas
March 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Yes, that's what happened to me too. Though my hair was straight, it started to curl (big 3b curls) from age 15. (hormones?)
It slowly disapeared after i reached my twenties(am 24 now).
Right now it's quite straight with a slight wave to the ends.

About combing your hair; you could try fingercombing it. Or let it dry and comb when fully dried or damp. That works for me. Also, have you tried combing in the shower with conditioner on?
Hope this is of some help;)

rock007junkie
March 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mine has gotten looser but I think I got henna to blame for that. I may change my monthly henna treatments to cassia since cassia wouldn't loosen my curls (right?). May only do henna every 3 months or so to color in grays....or maybe I'll just let them be.

Noas
March 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
rock007junkie; never heard of cassia not loosen curls but i know for sure amla is used for that purpose.

melusine963
March 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
My hair's gone from being very curly as a kid to curly/wavy now. I think a lot of that's due to it being so much longer now. I think the added weight stretches out many of the curls to where they look like waves.

Avital88
March 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
yes i went from curly to wavy too, but im sure if i would cut off some length the curls would come back,plus in summer i have more curls.
Amla oil is good for curls, reminds me that i need to buy a new bottle..

Ligeia_13
March 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Mine went from curly as a little kid to poker straight as a child to wavy as a teen then straight again till now.

Shesta
March 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
It happened to me as well once I fully adopted the LHC methods. The more moisture and tender treatment my hair gets the straighter it becomes. Well, I think I'm solid 2a at the moment.

NymphSpirit
March 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM

She never said she didn't use conditioner, and that sounded a tad rude.

----

My hair type has changed too, but not as fast as you say, could it be that the curls were a result of damage?
Now, for the combing the best you can do is oil your ends or use the same conditioner you use but reaaaally diluted and spray it, personally that's what works for me, otherwise it'd be impossible to detangle. (Oh and oiling will define your curls and give them more body)
(I'd recommend my detagler thingy, but it's a local brand :o)

rock007junkie
March 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM
rock007junkie; never heard of cassia not loosen curls but i know for sure amla is used for that purpose.

I know amla is used for that purpose. I wasn't sure about cassia because I have seen it discussed as an alternative for people who do not want to experience the curl loosening that henna brings. Just didn't know (and still don't) how true that is.

Tia2010
March 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mine has... but it has more to do with the length weighing down my curls than any actual texture change (I think) .. My hair is very curly ( but only when I'm shoulder length or shorter) ..I have pictures where I look like a have a perm but as soon as I get some length, it pulls my curls into nothing more than light waves.

ETA: For detangling I like Giovanni leave in spray. It makes my hair very easy to comb through. I also like Argan and macadamia (?) nut oil. It makes my hair like silk! ( but it can look greasy if I get carried away :) )

DarkSky
March 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I used to be a 3b and now I'm more 2c/3a. I think hormones and pregnancy have lots to do with it. Years later and the 3b curls still haven't bounced back. I can't recommend any of my products since I don't have fine hair and I do like the heavier oils and conditioners. Actually you could try using a little coconut oil... that seems to be a favourite no matter what the hair type. For detangling, I highly recommend the tangle teaser!!! It's an amazing product that is very gentle on your hair.

Amber_Maiden
March 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Mine used to be straighter, now it's more wavy, and curls when wet.

longcurlygirl<3
March 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Mines has always been curly, it was curlier before but my hair was way shorter and the weight was less. You have curly hair, IT NEEDS conditioner :) try the cg method [curly girl method] and cowashing, invest in a good drugstore conditioner, [garnier fructis triple nutrition, or from sally's matriz conditioning balm] wear your hair up more often and be gentle as you comb. Moisturize with oil like spritz with water then add oil or leavein, any more question or need any more advice pm me :)

**try a wooden comb from the body shop and detangle slowly from the end to the roots with hair soaked in condish.

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM
You should use conditioner, in market thereīs always something, like Pantene or Garnier Fructis.. And deep conditioning SMT: one part honey, one part Aloe Vera, two part conditioner.

I do condition my hair.
I've never had luck with fructis either.

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
It happened to me as well once I fully adopted the LHC methods. The more moisture and tender treatment my hair gets the straighter it becomes. Well, I think I'm solid 2a at the moment.

Where can I find these methods?

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
She never said she didn't use conditioner, and that sounded a tad rude.

----

My hair type has changed too, but not as fast as you say, could it be that the curls were a result of damage?
Now, for the combing the best you can do is oil your ends or use the same conditioner you use but reaaaally diluted and spray it, personally that's what works for me, otherwise it'd be impossible to detangle. (Oh and oiling will define your curls and give them more body)
(I'd recommend my detagler thingy, but it's a local brand :o)

Thank you! What kind of oil do you use? I mainly use avocado, olive and castor oil for my ends. And what kind of conditioner do you have?

I think I subconsciously adopted my mother's methods, she washes her hair once a month lol, its all the way down to her butt.

Georgies
March 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Well, the best way I know to maintain curl is not to detangle much after shampooing. Maybe ever so briefly with a wide tooth comb while conditioning, but that's about it. While my hair is still dry I can use a tangle teaser or whatever else, but after washing any handling will do unpleasant things to the curls - frizz etc. I try to do all the detangling before I get in the shower.

My hair was stick straight as a kid but the older I get, the curlier it gets...the way I handle my hair has changed alot though. My mom was pretty brush happy and I was well into my 20's before I figured out that brushes were breaking my hair off, especially when it was wet.

Do you use an SLS free shampoo? That made a huge difference for me as well. I basically CO at this point and use shampoo rarely. My favorite conditioner is Kinky Curly Knot Today, which you can find at Target. And I still love coconut oil!

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mines has always been curly, it was curlier before but my hair was way shorter and the weight was less. You have curly hair, IT NEEDS conditioner :) try the cg method [curly girl method] and cowashing, invest in a good drugstore conditioner, [garnier fructis triple nutrition, or from sally's matriz conditioning balm] wear your hair up more often and be gentle as you comb. Moisturize with oil like spritz with water then add oil or leavein, any more question or need any more advice pm me :)

**try a wooden comb from the body shop and detangle slowly from the end to the roots with hair soaked in condish.

Your hair looks beautiful! Thank you so much for the advice. Btw I'm still new here.. where would I go to send PM's?

I use a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair, maybe if I add oil to my conditioner it'll make things much easier.

redsoles
March 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Well, the best way I know to maintain curl is not to detangle much after shampooing. Maybe ever so briefly with a wide tooth comb while conditioning, but that's about it. While my hair is still dry I can use a tangle teaser or whatever else, but after washing any handling will do unpleasant things to the curls - frizz etc. I try to do all the detangling before I get in the shower.

My hair was stick straight as a kid but the older I get, the curlier it gets...the way I handle my hair has changed alot though. My mom was pretty brush happy and I was well into my 20's before I figured out that brushes were breaking my hair off, especially when it was wet.

Do you use an SLS free shampoo? That made a huge difference for me as well. I basically CO at this point and use shampoo rarely. My favorite conditioner is Kinky Curly Knot Today, which you can find at Target. And I still love coconut oil!WHat is SLS?

I mainly used Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner for Color treated hair. But I switched to Brazilian Keratin organic shampoo and conditioner.

Honestly I'm really new at all of this. What is SLS? And what are ingredients/chemicals in shampoos or conditioners that I should not use for my curly hair because I think I may have been using the wrong conditioners and shampoos that either make my hair dry, or unmanageable.

I've heard of CO. I used to do it 4 years ago! Maybe I should start it back up again.

bubblyredhead
March 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM
When I first stopped using my flat iron my hair was very wavey/curly it wasn't until I started treating my hair well and cutting out the damaged hair that it returned to 1c maybe 1b from the easily 2B/C. If your hair was just curly recently and has gone back to a looser wave damage could be the reason or it could be dry i personally have had fantastic luck with doing a deep treatment with biolage conditioning balm the real version works the best but walgreens and sallys both have a "knock off" version that works fairly well for a much cheaper price. A protein treatment might also help or just switching up the leave ins that you use. I know that a lot of curlys ( and non curlys) have had great luck with Co washing but I don't know how that will work with your fine hair maybe try it and see?

Bedhead
March 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
If I remember correctly, you only wash your hair once a month. That in itself would do it. The spreading of sebum dilutes curls. I experience the same thing, until touched by water. Does your hair get curlier when you wash it?

Kelikea
March 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Try these:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 The CO washing thread
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369 Wurly and Curly thread
My suggestion for detangling after shampooing is to slather hair with conditioner while in the shower, leave on while you wash everything else, then turn off the water, comb through, turn water back on and rinse. OR, shampoo and condition (or Condition only--see above thread) rinse thoroughly, wrap in microfiber towel or plop til dry, then detangle with wide tooth comb. These are the 2 ways I usually detangle hair. If I try to comb through after the shower, but with still-wet hair, it is just a struggle and pulls out my hair as well as curl.

Safira
March 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
If I remember correctly, you only wash your hair once a month. That in itself would do it. The spreading of sebum dilutes curls. I experience the same thing, until touched by water. Does your hair get curlier when you wash it?

This ^. And if hair is porous, it needs more moisture (and you should avoid humectants) and curl wonīt stay.
Itīs little hard to say whatīs wrong, I think you should read about CO/CWC, and about curly hair (Curly hair Forum is very nice place to start, in LHC is very much information too).

Drying alcohols are
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a650595/good_vs._bad_alcohol_in_hair_products

Good luck!