PDA

View Full Version : Headaches from any style, what to do?:/

Eirinn
July 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Lately I'm getting headaches whatever I do on my head. Especcialy when I'm not ok anyways. When it's just pulled by some scrounchie, clip, fork or anything my head is getting painful all over. Buns, braids, halfups... all the same. What can I do about it? I can't start wearing it down all the time! Ribbons won't do, it's sliding down my hair (too sleek for this) Have you expirienced anything like that?:confused:

burns_erin
July 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, me too on occassion. I would mention it to my doc if I were you-headaches can be a sign of many things and it may not actually be due to your hair, make sure you are getting enough vitamins minerals veggies fruits, drinking plenty of water, you know all the overall health concerns.

Then try scalp/and face massages massages.

I know when I start getting alot of headaches it is usually cause I am dehydrated and low on B vitamins. So then I hydrate, take my multivitiamin (Iam bad about forgetting), and bribe or blackmail my sister to give me a coupla good scalp and face massages.

burns_erin
July 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I as for the slicky hair issue, I either put one of the no slip ponytailers on just the end of my hair, looped. Or, I picked up some hari ties off the internet called "trash ties" that work well for a looped end holder.

misstwist
July 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Have you tried different positions on your head?

I get headaches if anything is sprouting out the back but I'm fine when I position just above the crown or at the nape.

Curlsgirl
July 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I went through a fairly long period like that about 4 or 5 inches ago I think but not sure what caused it. Anyway, I did a lot of halfups, very loose. I can almost never use Ficcares or anything remotely heavy and have to position my updos just right. Do you have allergy or sinus problems? I agree that scritching can help or scalp massage. Hope you find something that helps!!!

walkinglady
July 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
I go through this every now and then. No matter what I do it hurts. At home or where I can be still I wear it down. If I am going to be out or moving I braid it very loose and over my left shoulder. I feel for you, I hate it when my head hurts!

katiana
July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah..I also get headaches from time to time..I find wearing a loose braid really helps..I also find I am more prone to them it seems when I do not have enough sleep or under stress..I recently had my teeth cleaned and the dentist asked me if I grind my teeth at night..I do not notice I do this, but said that it appears that I do..anyways, he also mentioned you can get headaches and jaw pain from this..I do not know if this has anything to do with it..oh, and I loved the head massages..

ilovelonghair
July 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I have it too sometimes, scalp massages help a lot. I try to do a different hair style every day. I also noticed that it helps if I comb my hair in a different way, for example place the parting different every day. Or brushing my hair upside down and then making a bun, makes bun bigger though, but it can help reduce the pain.

Giggy2
July 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Lately I'm getting headaches whatever I do on my head. Especcialy when I'm not ok anyways. When it's just pulled by some scrounchie, clip, fork or anything my head is getting painful all over. Buns, braids, halfups... all the same. What can I do about it? I can't start wearing it down all the time! Ribbons won't do, it's sliding down my hair (too sleek for this) Have you expirienced anything like that?:confused:

I have fine thin hair. The only styles I can wear comfortably all day without pulling or scalp pain are a french/dutch braid or a figure 8 bun secured with a ficcare. Both of these styles seem to balance on both sides of my scalp.

Sometimes I just wear a headband or a 1/2 up with a barrette.

Just my :twocents:

Kuchen
July 23rd, 2008, 03:23 AM
Maybe look into some massage for your neck/shoulder/back, or seeing someone who can work out if you're having posture problems. That can have a bearing on tension in your scalp, which would be causing the pain.

danacc
July 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
It sounds like there's something going on with you that is making your head more sensitive and prone to headaches. Definitely get that checked out if there's not a cause that is obvious to you!

In the meantime, the thread on Migraine Updos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8226) has suggestions for headache-compatible styles.

winter_star
July 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Eirinn this happens to me EVERY single time I put my hair up. I wear my hair down 90% of the time due to this problem.

Unfortunately my doctor told me the weight of my hair was putting pressure on my scalp and I needed to cut it. But of course I didn't listen.

Try keeping your hair in looser styles and avoid anything that will put the full weight of all your hair on the back of your head. You should also avoid keeping your hair up for the whole day. I usually give my scalp regular massages before and after putting your hair up. So far this has worked better for me.

Anje
July 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
How do you do your braids? When my scalp is bugging me (not very often), the best thing for me is a very low english braid, staring a few inches away from my scalp. As far as the scalp seems concerned, I might as well be wearing the hair down, but it's contained. Two braids might be even better, because it splits the weight up and would leave the back of your head free -- if you're not feeling well and want to lie down, this might be helpful.

If it's mostly a weight thing and you're upright all day, putting a bun right on the top of your head might help, since your cranium would be bearing the weight, rather than making your hair follicles keep the updo from sliding down. However, this can result in some weird hair-going-the-wrong-direction feelings.

Eirinn
August 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I don't think it's weight cause my hair is neither long nor thick enough for that. But I don't defend from stress well and many parts of my body tend to ache of this... Thanks for your suggestions:flowers: It's getting ambarassing you know - people keep on asking 'Why are you styling/combing/brushing your hair all the time??' or 'Gotcha! It's the third time today!':rolleyes: And all because when my head aches and my hair feel pulled I have to loose it and then again when pain goes away I tie it back. But sounds as if I was just vane

mellie
August 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yes, I have this problem too!

I generally wear my hair down a lot because of it! Or, I'll wear double ponytails rather than just one, that seems to help a little. Still hurts at the end of the day though!

RavennaNight
August 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I got the most evil headaches from sockbuns. I was so excited when I learned how to do them, too! :( The whole right top of my head would throb and pound! I guess hair+sock+wrapped around=too heavy for head? I also find if I wear my hair too high up it starts to hurt. Try something loose and low, like a braid or low pony.