PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else have a white streak or other hair oddities? (Slightly pic heavy)

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I was born with a large chunk of white hair on the back of my head and I have forgotten about it over the last few years since I have been dying my hair since 9th grade. But now that I have been growing my natural hair out for a few months I get asked about it all the time lol. I have seen a few people with little white spots but I have yet to see anyone with such a huge chunk of white hair like me, it literally takes up about 1/4 of my head. So I was wondering if any of you have something similar or any other hair oddities that make your hair unique :).

Oh and here is my white chunk, I only have about 2 inches of natural hair so far but it is still very noticeable:

With flash:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/IMG_8730-1.jpg

Without flash:
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/IMG_8745.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/IMG_8733.jpg

littleizz
March 11th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My cousin has red hair, but a thumbprint-sized spot of black on the very middle of the back of his head. My family jokes that he looks like a bullseye :P Yours looks like it'd be awesome, though!! It reminds me of whats-her-face from X-Men :)

ETA: ROGUE. Doy :rolleyes:

Shesta
March 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I always considered such streaks as especially beautiful. Once (elementary school) I knew a guy with a big chunk of white hair at his temple.

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Haha that sounds cool. And yes, I was called Rouge a lot when I had my natural hair :D. Although I wish mine was in the front like hers instead of plopped randomly in the back lol.

pink.sara
March 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yup, I have a spot about an inch in diameter on my right temple, its not white though, it's really bright silver. Queerly when I was younger it was the only spot of bright blonde in my black.

I think your stripe is cool... I bleach one just like it purposefully : D

xoxophelia
March 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I also have a white streak in the middle back of my head but it is smaller than yours (had it since I can remember). Can't say I really like it though XD.. when I wear two french braids it looks like a little skunk trail growing out of my part haha..

Zesty
March 11th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I have a redheaded friend with a blond streak, but it's not super noticeable since her red leans towards blond. But there's also a girl who lived on my hall freshman year who's got this random streak of blond in her brown hair, and it looks like a trendy dye job but it's actually totally natural. I think that kind of thing is really neat. :)

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I also have a white streak in the middle back of my head but it is smaller than yours (had it since I can remember). Can't say I really like it though XD.. when I wear two french braids it looks like a little skunk trail growing out of my part haha..

Haha yeah I hated mine when I was little because as it grows out and gets sun it somehow spreads and takes over the whole back of my head, so when I would wear my hair in a ponytail it would look light brown but the whole ponytail looked blonde. I always had people asking me why my parents would let a child bleach their hair lol. It was the reason I died my hair in the first place but now I miss it.

Tisiloves
March 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't have any inherent oddities, but my hair sun bleaches very easily and oddly. It used to look like I'd had an accident with the bleach bottle.

ashke50
March 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I have a thin silver streak in my hair which I have had for a few years. Also, my sister and I both have a streak of very blonde hair right at the nape of the neck, which is might lighter than the rest of our hair. It isn't that obvious in my hair, but my sister's hair is darker than mine, and it really stands out.

Annibelle
March 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Yep! Well, mine is blonde... sometimes looks white... or even grey!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=117987 http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P3084404-1.jpg?t=1331501568

And then I've got a mini-streak in the front: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=120696

I never noticed these streaks until last summer, though... I don't know if they just suddenly appeared, or what! But the first photo I posted is the first time I ever noticed it-- I was just trying to take a pic of the bun and thought the camera messed up! :D

All of my hair is virgin, so I dunno why it did this.

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM
It looks cool Annibelle, especially the first one. It seems that a lot of us have little (or not so little) hair oddities. I wish my hair was all natural right now, I'm so impatient and looking at my pictures all I can think is that my hair looks like Neapolitan ice cream :D.

spidermom
March 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Years ago it was obvious that I had a much darker streak at the back of my head, but now that my hair is going white and silver, I don't seem to have it anymore.

Avital88
March 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
mu daughter has brown hair with one natural white blond streak , its only 0.2inch or something but very noticeable when i tie her hair back..

Arya
March 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Annibelle, we're streak twins! My blonde streak is in exactly the same position on the nape of my neck.

JellyBene
March 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
My natural hair is ash brown/blonde but I have a random light streak (almost platinum) above my right temple

Iolanthe13
March 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I have lighter blonde highlights here and there, but my mum's white hair is coming in in the most gorgeous streaks at the front - it looks like silver and (brunette) bronze in the sun. People keep asking her where she gets it dyed, haha...

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have lighter blonde highlights here and there, but my mum's white hair is coming in in the most gorgeous streaks at the front - it looks like silver and (brunette) bronze in the sun. People keep asking her where she gets it dyed, haha...

I wish all of my hair would turn white! But alas im 21 so its going to be a while. My mom is 42 without a single gray and grandma is 71 and still not going white lol. So I hope I take after my great aunt who has gorgeous white hair, because she also had a white streak when she was younger :).

princessp
March 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Yup I have two blonde streaks that are now white. I wish I could let them be white, but I henna and it would be impossible to avoid them. Yours are very cool. :)

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Yup I have two blonde streaks that are now white. I wish I could let them be white, but I henna and it would be impossible to avoid them. Yours are very cool. :)

Thanks princessp, I also wish I could avoid mine when dying my hair. I'm trying to grow my natural hair out so I can have it again, but lately I've been wanting to dye my hair blue :D.

Rini
March 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM
My sister has a big chunk of white hair growing at her forehead. This is because when she was about 6, my other sister threw a rock at her head and she had to have stitches. It does look cool though :D

Me...I grow white hair all over my head :)

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
My sister has a big chunk of white hair growing at her forehead. This is because when she was about 6, my other sister threw a rock at her head and she had to have stitches. It does look cool though :D

Me...I grow white hair all over my head :)

I always find it fascinating how many different things can turn hair white. And I am envious of your hair color, it's beautiful. Maybe I should just throw rocks at the front of my head? :p

Nedertane
March 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Nothing too out of the ordinary on me, but the underlayers of my hair seem to be redder/warmer toned than the stuff on top, maybe due to less sun exposure? I do have very thin light blonde streaks at my front, but the only people who notice those (at least during the winter months, before I get a solar highlight treatment) tend to be hair dressers who are, y'know, kinda supposed to be looking closely at my hair.

Schrei777
March 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nothing too out of the ordinary on me, but the underlayers of my hair seem to be redder/warmer toned than the stuff on top, maybe due to less sun exposure? I do have very thin light blonde streaks at my front, but the only people who notice those (at least during the winter months, before I get a solar highlight treatment) tend to be hair dressers who are, y'know, kinda supposed to be looking closely at my hair.

That's interesting, you would think the warmer hair would be the top where the sun hits and cooler underneath :). The hairdressers always freak out when they see my hair and bring all the other hairdressers over to look at it. Seriously every single time, no matter where I go. And they always ask if I bleached it, as if I'd bleach a huge chunk on the back of my head?! :D

kme81
March 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I have a small scar on my scalp that grows dark brown frizzy curls...When you compare this to my blonde straight hair, it is quite something. :)

Denebi
March 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, I have a small white streak. It's underneath a lot of brown hair, so most of the time it cannot be seen... Here it is:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l5ZQfLs6Xzk/SSPg8fnJ39I/AAAAAAAABYI/lajzvIUdbPs/s400/Straehne_anonym.JPG

Harriet
March 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I have a large blonde chunk at the nape of my neck, you see it especially in braids. An ex of mine had a blonde streak right in the centre of his forehead, it looked really cool!

PinkyCat
March 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
My brother has one. A golf ball sized white spot behind his ear. I got jipped. No cool middle name, no white hair (my brother is Victor Hugo *insanely cool name*, I'm just Lisa *yawwwwwn*)

Kristin
March 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I have a red streak at my nape, and my naturally redheaded sister has a blonde steak in the same spot. People always accuse us of highlighting our napes. Like that would be a cool thing to do...

Schrei777
March 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I have a red streak at my nape, and my naturally redheaded sister has a blonde steak in the same spot. People always accuse us of highlighting our napes. Like that would be a cool thing to do...

Haha you guys are like yin and yang :).

Schrei777
March 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM
My brother has one. A golf ball sized white spot behind his ear. I got jipped. No cool middle name, no white hair (my brother is Victor Hugo *insanely cool name*, I'm just Lisa *yawwwwwn*)

That is a very cool name, but I also think Lisa is pretty :D

Schrei777
March 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, I have a small white streak. It's underneath a lot of brown hair, so most of the time it cannot be seen... Here it is:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l5ZQfLs6Xzk/SSPg8fnJ39I/AAAAAAAABYI/lajzvIUdbPs/s400/Straehne_anonym.JPG

Pretty! I've always wished mine was a nice small highlight instead of half my head. I think it's to big to even call a blonde chunk lol.

hsdoodles
March 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I have a white streak because of vitiligo. I think it's sooo cool, but it's hidden in the middle of all my hair. It's awesome when I can see it in an updo. :p

Nedertane
March 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM
That's interesting, you would think the warmer hair would be the top where the sun hits and cooler underneath :). The hairdressers always freak out when they see my hair and bring all the other hairdressers over to look at it. Seriously every single time, no matter where I go. And they always ask if I bleached it, as if I'd bleach a huge chunk on the back of my head?! :D

Well, true, in the summer time, it gets more golden on top. But I guess I should've elaborated - I *think* since it gets less sun exposure, it has a darker color, and so it has the redder pigments associated with a darker hair color level. So, the stuff on top is more like level 7, so it has a more yellowy/golden look, but the stuff underneath is more like level 6, so it has more of an orange-gold look (that's my theory, anyway).

Does that make sense?

Ligeia_13
March 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I don't have a streak ( boo :( ) but I went to school with a girl who had really dark hair and a white streak growing out the front of her hair. Like Rogue :D

ThrowNormanAway
February 18th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I have the exact same streak! It's not quite white, but it used to be white/blonde in my youth and it's gotten gradually a touch darker blonde as I age. It's like a candy stripe when I put my hair up on a bun. I love it!

ThrowNormanAway
February 18th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Oops, that meant to quote another response. It's a blonde streak on the left of my nape at my hairline.

lapis_lazuli
February 19th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Those are great pics, Schrei777 and Denebi! So cool! I wish I had something like that, I think it's gorgeous :)

Daydreamer.
February 19th, 2016, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure if it's an oddity, but I have wispy hair that sticks out near my ears.

Deborah
February 19th, 2016, 09:20 AM
There was a family in my home town in which all the children had dark hair with one large perfectly white streak in the front. I thought it made them look quite interesting.

TR
February 19th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I don't have any streaks, just more and more white hairs sprinkled throughout my head as I age. My teenage son, though, has two white streaks that showed up when puberty hit around age 13. Interestingly, they grow out of two moles on his scalp, almost as if the pigment got diverted from the hair to the scalp. We've had the moles checked to make sure they aren't harmful (they're not) so my son thinks his white streaks are pretty cool.

lunasea
February 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this here but a white streak at the forelock is one of the symptoms of Waardenburg syndrom (http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/waardenburg-syndrome)e. While often benign, this syndrome can have serious manifestations. I might get genetic testing if I had a white streak at the front of my head and wanted to have children.

Anya15
February 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM
I have black hair, but used to have a random brown streak when my hair was longer. I don't have it anymore.
The hair at the nape of my neck used to curl, but now it's straight. I also have a bunch of hair at the back of the head which is straight ish-but since my hair type has been changing lately I dunno if that is an oddity.
I have weird wispy things that stick out near my ears.
I have one single red strand of hair near my hairline. It's very coarse and short(the rest of my hair is medium-fine)

lillielil
February 19th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I don't, but my mom had a gorgeous white streak. The rest of her hair was very dark brown (looked black). Here she is, age 21 or so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/geobabe/mom_zpsww0mfmlj.jpg

Her hair is my absolute favorite. It is still very thick and coarse, but now about 95% white/silver and quite a bit longer than she used to wear it.

velvet orchid
February 19th, 2016, 04:13 PM
aww lillielil your mothers hair is just so striking, it's lovely. I'm so jealous of everyone's streaks and stripes on this thread they're all so beautiful

lithostoic
February 20th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Nope! Unless you count the fact that my brown hair can turn almost completely white from the sun.

Obsidian
February 20th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Natural white streaks are so cool, wish I had one. I do however, have silver streak above my ears where greys hair have came in very thick, I'm not applying henna to them anymore so I can grow them out. Hopefully it won't be too much of a contrast with the henna.

EdG
February 20th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I have silvers around my temples and sides. They remain largely hidden when I wear my hair down, but when bunned, they turn into the Silver Swirl.

I feel like Clark Kent stepping into a phone booth and emerging as Superman. ;)
Ed

antler_tines
February 20th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I let my temples go white for a while. People stopped asking for my ID so I dyed with henna, and now they ask again :P I'm 30 so I guess I'm getting to the age where they will ask, but I'm not ready for my white temples yet!

daisychain
February 20th, 2016, 02:15 PM
No streak, but my silver hairs are only coming in on one side of my head, pretty much in a line back from my temple. Finally are getting long enough I can see them in my length, but not enough to be noticeable when I put my hair up. I wish I could stand to part my hair on the other side, then it would look cool, but I've tried and don't like it.

languagenut
February 20th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I don't have a white streak, but I do have a black streak, on the upper left side of the back of my head. It's usually hidden in the other hair, but sometimes it's visible and then my friends say, "hey, you have something black in your hair!" and I laugh and say "no, that's just a birthmark; it's always been that way!". My mom says there's a dark spot on my scalp there, but I can never see it, so maybe it was there when I was a baby and isn't anymore, or maybe I just can't find it. The streak is just barely visible above my bun in one of my album pics (it appears on the right due to mirroring), but I know I have pictures somewhere that show it better...

ETA: A cousin of mine has blonde eyebrow and eyelashes on one side and brown on the other. But in all the recent pictures I've seen of her, she has her hair covering half of her face.

lithostoic
February 23rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Also my hair looks COMPLETELY different depending on the lighting. It can look anything from dark brown to nearly white. I honestly don't know what color it is. This is the past 3 days in reverse chronological order. I think I look better with my glasses on :P Not from about the top of my ear down is dyed.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-38BUZQD6xpg/Vszi0pK7KbI/AAAAAAAABDs/yv298KQbC2Y/w325-h577-no/16%2B-%2B2
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NUZxOxBvcbE/Vszi0pzjh0I/AAAAAAAABDw/uZmXt8J8Rj8/w325-h577-no/16%2B-%2B3
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FP8-x1qMi5o/Vszi0sn1LgI/AAAAAAAABD0/pleF2vzEuuY/w325-h577-no/16%2B-%2B4

spidermom
February 23rd, 2016, 04:15 PM
I noticed recently that I have a silver streak going from my right temple. I usually don't part it deep enough to reveal it, but I did on Sunday. Wow! It's beautiful!

RedStripe
February 23rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
I had a pretty distinct "skunk stripe," but when I started to get more gray hair, it began to be surrounded by lots of random strands of gray, and instead of a streak I had a gray blur. That's when I started coloring my hair.

mira-chan
February 27th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I have a white streak about an inch back from my hairline at the front. I got my first white hair there at 12, they've gathered an army there since then. If you look closely in my signature you can see a lighter part going over the crown of my head, that's the streak. :)

I also have a streak of slightly lighter hair at underside of my hair. It's rarely visible though.

Crystawni
February 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM
I'm a streaker. :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21024&d=1453237038

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19574&d=1446245675

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20788&d=1452387362

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19436&d=1445131268

Both temples are mostly white now.